Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Titty_baby_’s parents’ patio, probably, soon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

There's an eternal flame in Daley Plaza in Chicago. It's locally known as the Pigeon Warmer.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
saw two pigeons light themselves on fire there.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Benagain posted:

saw two pigeons light themselves on fire there.

This is what it sounds like when doves fry.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

VelociBacon posted:

Dessert Storm

:dudsmile:

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I'm sorry I didn't see it :(

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Dessert Storm should be a large, flat bowl of ice cream covered in graham cracker crumbs, drizzled with dark chocolate. The center is hollowed out and filled with rum. It is lit table side when served.

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!

Sash! posted:

The center is hollowed out and filled with rum. It is lit table side when served.

The eye of the storm!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It has wells of vegetable oil, which are on fire and emitting clouds of black smoke.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

And when you leave the restaurant you take your torch and light everyone else's dish I guess?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!

Pretty sure this violates the Geneva Conventions.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Absolutely not.

Jows
May 8, 2002

Not to mention the chandelier. When those LEDs go, they will fail 1 at a time every 3 weeks for a year, necessitating several ladder trips to get an up close look at that war crime ceiling piece

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I went to a local open house today that was a flip and there was so much wrong with it, but this got an audible laugh out of me.

Other highlights include:
-Huge carpenter ant infestation
-Noticeably sagging ceilings where load bearing walls were removed
-A laundry machine nook where you couldn't open the door to the dryer because the opening was too narrow
-No crawlspace access hatch which means the old one was covered up by the new vinyl plank flooring

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Jows posted:

Not to mention the chandelier. When those LEDs go, they will fail 1 at a time every 3 weeks for a year, necessitating several ladder trips to get an up close look at that war crime ceiling piece

Where have you been buying LEDs from that they have such a high failure rate?

Still not a fan of that style chandelier though.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
My experience with LED bulbs it that if one of them fails, replace every one of that brand and model at the same time or you’ll wish that you had.

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you
I was renting an apartment recently that was brand new and a LED bulb burned out every few months somewhere in the apartment. I am hoping the 70,000 halo fixtures I put in our new house will last a bit longer.

Jows
May 8, 2002

Cat Hatter posted:

Where have you been buying LEDs from that they have such a high failure rate?

Still not a fan of that style chandelier though.

LED bulbs have a lifespan too, and unless one dies to dirty power or something, when one stops working the others are gonna follow around the same time.

Platystemon posted:

My experience with LED bulbs it that if one of them fails, replace every one of that brand and model at the same time or you’ll wish that you had.

This guy gets it.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

LED "bulbs" are manufactured by capitalists. That's the long and short of it. Only the very shittest ones are sold at retail.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
I went all in on LEDs about a decade ago and I've had to replace maybe one bulb and I have one builder grade fixture that gets left on constantly that's just starting to flicker occasionally.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I've replaced one LED bulb since 2017 :haw:

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I have a lovely CFL bulb in my bedside table lamp that I'm going to be sad when it dies. It takes a long time to get up to full brightness, which turns out to be great when you turn it on in the middle of the night and don't get instantly blinded! Going on like 15 years at this point...

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

I have a ceiling fan on which I've put in LED bulbs for three of the four sockets on the light fixture. Why not the fourth? Because if it's all-LED, then when the light is off, one of the bulbs will still faintly glow. Having one incandescent somewhere in the fixture will prevent this. Needless to say, it isn't on a good old fashioned analog switch, but some fancy-rear end electronic thing in the wallplate. I don't know if it's X10 or something else, but I guess whatever tiny control voltage is there at all times is enough to barely light an LED.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Actual High CRI led bulbs tend to last longer in my experience but it takes digging around.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Powered Descent posted:

I have a ceiling fan on which I've put in LED bulbs for three of the four sockets on the light fixture. Why not the fourth? Because if it's all-LED, then when the light is off, one of the bulbs will still faintly glow. Having one incandescent somewhere in the fixture will prevent this. Needless to say, it isn't on a good old fashioned analog switch, but some fancy-rear end electronic thing in the wallplate. I don't know if it's X10 or something else, but I guess whatever tiny control voltage is there at all times is enough to barely light an LED.
I had a led spotlight with a motion detector that did that and it turned out it was because live and neutral wire got switched somewhere in the circuit. The switch (in my case the sensor) was cutting the wrong wire. Some sort of induction based phenomenon ??? generating a tiny voltage that an incandescent would just soak up, but enough to make an led glow faintly.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I've had to put one of these resistors on a fixture before

Lutron LUT-MLC https://a.co/d/5yB1jou

There's also ones that go between the fixture and the bulb

Mynameismud
Jul 12, 2009
Big Clive has a video explaining why this happens.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzWz_guJHvY

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

moist turtleneck posted:

Where can I find one of the screw on kind? I've been looking for those for awhile.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Mynameismud posted:

Big Clive has a video explaining why this happens.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzWz_guJHvY

Well drat. Yes, that's exactly what happens.

Cool, I've learned something today.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I thought it would be a simple thing to purchase separately but I can't find the magic words to get the adaptor by itself without buying a light switch as well

https://cyncsupport.gelighting.com/s/article/adaptor-assistance-for-3-wire-smart-switches?language=en_US#Install_Bulb_adaptor

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

That video probably more accurately describes what Powered Descent has going on considering the weird switch. My problem with the electromagnetic induction could be fully solved by simply connecting live and neutral the other way round.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Platystemon posted:

Thinking about this, assuming you've got a pretty cheap set of bulbs that are only good for 10,000 hours +- 5% that gives you about a 1,000 hour window you could expect your bulbs to die, which is coincidentally how long you could expect an incandescent bulb to last anyway. We're so spoiled by even lovely modern bulbs.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I’m not talking about the ones that I put in eight years ago that are still going strong.

I’m talking about the ones that I put in less than six months ago and had two of six fail in the last month. That is a sign to relamp the whole fixture. The remaining bulbs are on borrowed time already.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Platystemon posted:

I’m not talking about the ones that I put in eight years ago that are still going strong.

I’m talking about the ones that I put in less than six months ago and had two of six fail in the last month. That is a sign to relamp the whole fixture. The remaining bulbs are on borrowed time already.

drat, those are some lovely bulbs.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

I had two incandescent bulbs break in an earthquake in the middle of the night sometime in early 2016. Replaced them with LEDs and haven't really had to think about bulbs since then. :shrug: Or rather, I did think about them enough that I eventually replaced both the one in my desk lamp and the one in my living room floor lamp with adjustable ones. Nearly daily use, countless hours of uptime, honestly no clue if I had to replace either one before upgrading. The one that was in the floor lamp is still in my closet as a fully functional spare.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Uthor posted:

I have a lovely CFL bulb in my bedside table lamp that I'm going to be sad when it dies. It takes a long time to get up to full brightness, which turns out to be great when you turn it on in the middle of the night and don't get instantly blinded! Going on like 15 years at this point...

I had an old CFL (maybe it was an LED) that was in my guest room since before I moved in that was about as bright as maybe one good candle and it was the only light in the room. I had a friend crashing in there for a while who was unwilling to let me replace it with a 2700k bulb so I had to swipe a 4000k bulb from elsewhere in the house just so you wouldn't bump into things in that room.

I don't know how that counts towards longevity.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

moist turtleneck posted:

I have 3 bulb fixture with an aftermarket dimmer that doesn't work with LED bulbs, even when the dimmer is at 100%. I didn't know you could just add a resistor though, so I've just been operating it with 2 LED bulbs + 1 incandescent instead to add some resistance to the circuit.

edit: completely missed the post that started this discussion, which was using the same dumb solution as me lol.

moist turtleneck posted:

Gonna keep this in my back pocket for when I upgrade my dining room candelabra bulbs to LED.

Slanderer fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Jul 25, 2023

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

SpartanIvy posted:

I went to a local open house today that was a flip and there was so much wrong with it, but this got an audible laugh out of me.

Other highlights include:
-Huge carpenter ant infestation
-Noticeably sagging ceilings where load bearing walls were removed
-A laundry machine nook where you couldn't open the door to the dryer because the opening was too narrow
-No crawlspace access hatch which means the old one was covered up by the new vinyl plank flooring

Narc them out, especially if they're making cowboy structural modifications. Your AHJ must have a code compliance department. gently caress lovely house flippers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010