Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How much longer is Twitter going to last?
A few weeks
A few months
A few years
About as long as the rest of humanity
View Results

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Young Freud posted:

Oh gawd, it's happening.
https://twitter.com/edzitron/status/1682965644780904449?s=20
He's trying to resurrect his X brand again.

*has brand so recognizable that people use it as a verb to describe broadcasting shortish posts to any followers or people who view your profile on the order of Kleenex and tissue paper*

Let's trash this folks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Fry your brain, now in a literal sense with the NEW neuralink social app!

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
This is an X-twitter

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Mercury_Storm posted:

Fry your brain, now in a literal sense with the NEW neuralink social app!

It would be on brand for Elon musk to create something like sword art online.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Nitrousoxide posted:

*has brand so recognizable that people use it as a verb to describe broadcasting shortish posts to any followers or people who view your profile on the order of Kleenex and tissue paper*

Let's trash this folks!

Everyone's going to keep calling it twitter and he's going to get spectacularly mad and into so many raging slapfights while claiming to not be mad at all.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Is there any legal or financial advantage to such a rebranding or is it pure vanity?

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Mzbundifund posted:

Is there any legal or financial advantage to such a rebranding or is it pure vanity?
It's Musk screaming into the void that his dumbass idea from the 90s was right all along and he's going to make everyone use X.com, dammit!

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Should have changed it to “Y” so we can call it yeeting

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Mzbundifund posted:

It's pure marketing, so everyone who thinks of Twitter as a dumpster fire will now think of X-Social, formerly known as Twitter, is a massive dumpster fire.

Similar to how Facebook became Meta.

Google becoming Alphabet made more sense, because they have Youtube which should be on equal footing to Google, but it probably wasn't worth whatever they paid.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

haveblue posted:

This is an X-twitter

Nah, it's restin'

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

StumblyWumbly posted:

It's pure marketing, so everyone who thinks of Twitter as a dumpster fire will now think of X-Social, formerly known as Twitter, is a massive dumpster fire.

Similar to how Facebook became Meta.

Google becoming Alphabet made more sense, because they have Youtube which should be on equal footing to Google, but it probably wasn't worth whatever they paid.

this is assuming a lot more thought and a lot less drugs than actually went into this idea

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.
For gently caress’s sake, there are animated movies with little blue birds sending messages called tweets as established narrative moments! Why the gently caress is he going after the seed corn of their public presence like this?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Because it wasn't his idea.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Imagine being that rich and that insecure.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Discendo Vox posted:

Just one billion would be enough to live the rest of your life in a luxury once known only to kings and emperors, with the entire world and all its wonders open to you whenever you wish.

But nope, shitposting frenzy at 5am as you decide to take the one thing your $44 billion impulse purchase still has of any value and set it on fire.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
If I had billions of dollars I might have used some of them to get the best therapist ever to work on my insecurity, I dunno.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/Browtweaten/status/1683213576117403652?s=20

EDIT:

https://twitter.com/NoahShachtman/status/1683226914956140544?s=20

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jul 24, 2023

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

StumblyWumbly posted:

I assume the main reason they did the Alphabet thing is that it made it easier to doge taxes if they had a third corporate entity above the other ones or something.

Unlike Meta, Alphabet doesn't really seem to get mentioned that much outside contracts/more corporate literature stuff.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
Yeah, alphabet was less a rebranding so much as trying to organize a giant digital empire which wasn't just Google anymore.

X is Musk trying to redeem one of his terrible ideas that got him drummed out of PayPal. The equivalent of going to your high school reunion and trying to flex in front of your old crush because you haven't moved on.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

dr_rat posted:

I assume the main reason they did the Alphabet thing is that it made it easier to doge taxes if they had a third corporate entity above the other ones or something.

Unlike Meta, Alphabet doesn't really seem to get mentioned that much outside contracts/more corporate literature stuff.

It was a holding company for all the other successful things they were going to do with their google money that weren't google so should be siloed elsewhere, such as.... well they're sure they'll find one eventually.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

evilweasel posted:

It was a holding company for all the other successful things they were going to do with their google money that weren't google so should be siloed elsewhere, such as.... well they're sure they'll find one eventually.
Yeah, right now it's just Google and YouTube. Maybe they make money off of Google Fi, Pixel, and Android? It's easy to be a decent company that just doesn't compare to Google and YouTube.

Rust is great, but that's a programming language they make no money off of. They've had a few neat ideas that were just bad products.

I've heard rumors that their plan is to spin off some of their neat patents into startups, let them try to succeed, and then buy them back if they do, which sounds like a decent plan actually, and makes sense with the Alphabet name.

Facebook becoming Meta seems like a waste of money, but that's what the Metaverse does I guess.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

StumblyWumbly posted:

Rust is great, but that's a programming language they make no money off of.

You do mean Go, right?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

StumblyWumbly posted:

Facebook becoming Meta seems like a waste of money, but that's what the Metaverse does I guess.

Facebook becoming Meta was partly a branding exercise to try to escape being the same Facebook that rallied all your racist uncles to destroy democracy and commit genocide worldwide. If it had accomplished that and lost money it would have been considered a success

Instead it lost a stupendous amount of money, permanently discredited the concept of "metaverse", and is still only appealing to racist uncles

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

haveblue posted:

Facebook becoming Meta was partly a branding exercise to try to escape being the same Facebook that rallied all your racist uncles to destroy democracy and commit genocide worldwide. If it had accomplished that and lost money it would have been considered a success

Instead it lost a stupendous amount of money, permanently discredited the concept of "metaverse", and is still only appealing to racist uncles
Yeah I think the main point of rebranding as 'Meta' was because Zuck was obsessed with the metaverse idea and he clearly wanted the company to transition to that and away from what Facebook is now since it's a dead-end.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Discendo Vox posted:

Honestly, this isn't unique to Musk. Almost every failed-upwards CEO of every company isn't content to just sit on their giant piles of money, they need to make their mark on the company, which generally involves changing lots of little things for absolutely no reason. Usually for the worse, and at huge cost. There's just something about having unlimited power that makes you want to exercise that power, even if it doesn't benefit you at all.

Narcissism, I suppose.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

evilweasel posted:

Eh, Alphabet also has things like Fitbit, Mandiant, Nest, and Boston Dynamics used to be a subsidiary. There's also X, which is Google/Alphabet's R&D arm. I'm sure there are others but those are the big ones.

It allows for several things:

- More focus within each company on their core business, rather than everyone wondering how it operates as a subsidiary of a search engine.
- Siloing out each subsidiary's accounting makes it simpler for each business to maintain some level of independence, while Alphabet retains oversight.
- There's an argument to be made that it makes future M&A simpler. Alphabet mostly stays out of the limelight, allowing them to tell future acquisitions that they'll be able to retain their identity and branding.

There's more to it but those are the core arguments I see. Facebook rebranding as Meta is pure vanity on Zuck's part, Musk trying to rebrand everything as X is him holding onto the past and failing to realize that there is little to no overlap among his various businesses.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
The whole “X will do everything” app sounds a lot like those dystopia stories with the horrible companies that run everything and are still doing things like using their ubiquitous power to conduct human experiments behind the scenes

Musk thinks this is all good stuff though

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
So there's already an X as an existing Alphabet subsidiary... isn't that going to cause problems with turning Twitter into X?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

What was The Metaverse? Facebook is the same piece of garbage it’s been for ~8 years.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

I AM GRANDO posted:

What was The Metaverse? Facebook is the same piece of garbage it’s been for ~8 years.

The Metaverse was Zuckerberg getting hyped about combining Second Life with VR.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Shooting Blanks posted:

The Metaverse was Zuckerberg getting hyped about combining Second Life with VR.
correction, it was Zuck getting hyped about getting to be the landlord of Second Life.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Absurd Alhazred posted:

So there's already an X as an existing Alphabet subsidiary... isn't that going to cause problems with turning Twitter into X?

This is a question that only Google/Twitter's lawyers can answer, and I'd bet money that we'll never get an answer out of them.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Also Second Life was never really all that popular because it ran like poo poo and is actually pretty technical, so why Zuckerborg thought a version that required a VR headset and had no loving legs would be a good idea is beyond me.

You know what also didn't have legs? Threads. :smug:

Mercury_Storm fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Jul 24, 2023

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Possible? the Google X subsidiary used to be Moonshot X, and is not just X

https://x.company/

As it's generic research and the X musk wants to make twitter into is generic social media, a judge could decide there's not really a chance for brand confusion, or goggle may just ignore it I guess?

Musk's clearly ignoring all advice he's getting so who knows if he's actually aware of the Google X thing.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

If I had to guess, I'd say that Google just won't care - Google X isn't really designed as a profit making company. They won't see Twitter/X as competition. Musk might sue because his fragile ego was harmed that there's another company called X, it was his baby 24 years ago.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

I AM GRANDO posted:

What was The Metaverse?

One of the big problems with it was that no one knew or was able to define it. There were a couple of competing philosophies but all of them were talking past each other on some level and none of them had a complete picture or found a reason for it to be compelling to anyone who wasn't them

The definition the good idealists and evangelists were using was a web-equivalent for interactive 3D content, a set of open standards that would allow clients to navigate a distributed collection of 3D worlds across multiple hosts. This ran into the immediate problem that for most tasks people do online doing it in 3D is manifestly worse than doing it with a web browser. Also creating 3D content is hard and making it look good is expensive, so this idea hasn't really gone anywhere

The definition Facebook was using was the Horizon Worlds platform, which discarded the "open" part in favor of something entirely controlled by Facebook, where they would invite partners to create spaces there (for a cut) and invite users to visit those spaces and spend money (for a cut). They also, inexplicably, pushed it as a way to turn remote work back into office work, by replacing your commute with putting on a VR headset for eight hours, and replacing your slack channels and zooms with hordes of floating cartoon torsos. No one wants to use a virtual mall/office where Facebook is written into the very fabric of reality even if it didn't look like a pile of poo poo, so they took an enormous bath on it

The definition the bad idealists and evangelists were using was effectively the old crypto pitch repeated, where a new world would be built on zero-authority distributed systems and it would be a wild west of libertarians and nongovernmental money-equivalents and everyone would be free to pay and earn and rent and do all the stuff they could on the blockchain, but in 3D. This went about as well as the old crypto pitch did the first time

Mercury_Storm posted:

Also Second Life was never really all that popular because it ran like poo poo and is actually pretty technical

Second Life had (has, probably) a core of dedicated users because they allow it to be used for weird sex stuff. Facebook was never going to do this even if their avatars looked human enough to plausibly gently caress each other

haveblue fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Jul 24, 2023

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

I AM GRANDO posted:

Dan Olson explains it very well in the first ten or fifteen minutes of this video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiZhdpLXZ8Q

Basically it's people trying to invent the 3D immersive virtual reality internet as portrayed in Ready Player One or Snowcrash or The Matrix. It's a bad, worthless idea usually done extremely poorly.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Jul 24, 2023

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

I AM GRANDO posted:

This video lays it out.

e:f;b

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Jul 24, 2023

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Half of the reason people (read: cryptobros) other than Zuck were excited was because they all thought they were going to be the next Yuga Labs. NFTs that you can wear! And show off to millions of people! And sell, for profit, of which they'll take a small cut!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

I AM GRANDO posted:

An immensely successful branding exercise on Facebook's part. For all the criticism to point at them, they did a fantastic job on that.

Prior to Facebook's rebranding, "metaverse" was a little-used term from an old sci-fi novel which basically meant "virtual world". It was occasionally used to refer to basically any online social space that wasn't text-only and wasn't primarily a gaming platform, but it was basically an obscure term used mostly by technologists.

When Zuck rebranded Facebook to Meta, he claimed and popularized the term "metaverse" in reference to Meta's various VR projects, and especially their virtual social space, Horizon Worlds (a lovely knockoff of VRChat, AltspaceVR, and like five other "stand around and socialize in VR" apps). He said that the metaverse was going to be the next internet, and that Facebook Meta was getting in on the ground floor with massive investments in the VR space. He was so massively successful in this that Horizon Worlds practically became synonymous with "metaverse". It wasn't a metaverse, it was the Metaverse, Facebook's metaverse, and it was going to be The Next Big Thing. And that kicked off a massive investment bubble, with "metaverse" becoming a magic word to draw massive investment just as "NFT" and "blockchain" had been in preceding years.

In the end, it turned out that Horizon Worlds loving sucked. Making it synonymous with "metaverse" meant that they dragged the whole craze down with them when it turned out to be a huge failure. VR was not the Next Big Thing, and the money moved on to the next big craze (LLMs).