Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

idgi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

they're stuck together. It's a bug.

Rythian
Dec 31, 2007

You take what comes, and the rest is void.

That's what CTRL+J is for.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Oh is that a serious bug for some people? Whenever it's happened to me they always come unstuck after just a few seconds of like vibrating in place

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Getting three clumps is at least a Yahtzee moment.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

idk where else to ask this, but does anybody know of an artist who can do character portrait commissions? I kind of want to get a portrait done of myself so that I can import it into Baldur's Gate for a playthrough. You know, the biggest self insert possible.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Vargatron posted:

idk where else to ask this, but does anybody know of an artist who can do character portrait commissions? I kind of want to get a portrait done of myself so that I can import it into Baldur's Gate for a playthrough. You know, the biggest self insert possible.

I feel gross for this suggestion but uh, just chuck a headshot into one of the very many AI art things around and tell it to make you look like whatever class you want.

Or are you wanting to do the actual ethical thing and pay a human for their work?

Imaginary Friend
Jan 27, 2010

Your Best Friend

Vargatron posted:

I'd recommend the creative convention sub-forum; they're very friendly over there. Also, apart from using AI, do you want a self portrait in a similar style or a fully original? I could churn out something for free once I get the time for it of you give some guidelines. No promises though.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Basically I'm wanting to use a selfie as a basis and just have it rendered like a Baldur's Gate portrait. I guess I could do one of those cell phone filter kind of things, but I'd be willing to commission an artist for that style of thing.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

What style you looking for? I assume matching the baldur's gate portrait style, so sort of more fantasy?

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:
I would simply enter and win the contest Beamdog had several months ago to get your portrait painted in the style of the game by one of the original BG artists. That seems easier.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Was it just a raffle or did you have to show them your playtime on Steam or something

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
You actually had to do a headshot-style pose ala the original game shots. It was fairly fun, and the winners were both reasonable entries rather than what I expected, entries that everyone who entered would feel they had definitely outdone

I cannot even remember if I actually submitted the reference photo I took of me in a druid hood contemplating a stuffed gorilla

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
Screw this reasonable nonsense. Make a pose so unnatural even Rob Liefeld would say "what the gently caress?"

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

how do i get to the lower area in the northwest

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

cuntman.net posted:

how do i get to the lower area in the northwest

Ctrl-J

There's nothing there except a container that has nothing interestin in.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Whoever designed Pathfinder: Kingmaker was on some poo poo. I can understand that sleeping in a camp full of dead bodies my draw the attention of hostile forces, but I got attacked by a will o wisp with 37 AC and 124 HP in a level 2 zone. I tried doing the encounter like 4 times before I just gave up and looked at the stat block. Couldn't believe it.

I don't think IWD2 ever pulls anything like this. For the most part, encounters are always doable at your current level and party with the proper planning. Kingmaker feels like you're cruising along fighting on-level opponents and then you just run up against something that is 14 levels higher than you with extremely juiced stats.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:
The Pathfinder games feel like they are designed with the idea that you are doing extreme charop for your entire party in a way that an irl game would never be.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Vargatron posted:

Whoever designed Pathfinder: Kingmaker was on some poo poo. I can understand that sleeping in a camp full of dead bodies my draw the attention of hostile forces, but I got attacked by a will o wisp with 37 AC and 124 HP in a level 2 zone. I tried doing the encounter like 4 times before I just gave up and looked at the stat block. Couldn't believe it.

I don't think IWD2 ever pulls anything like this. For the most part, encounters are always doable at your current level and party with the proper planning. Kingmaker feels like you're cruising along fighting on-level opponents and then you just run up against something that is 14 levels higher than you with extremely juiced stats.

That same wisp beat my rear end a bunch of times

I think it's supposed to be something you come back to later? Also I think it does energy damage or whatever, and you can cheaply buy scrolls to give you protection from that.

Which I learned because there's an entire island of the bastards, though not quite as strong, and I exasperatedly googled what on earth I was supposed to do to beat it lol

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Weird Pumpkin posted:

That same wisp beat my rear end a bunch of times

I think it's supposed to be something you come back to later? Also I think it does energy damage or whatever, and you can cheaply buy scrolls to give you protection from that.

Which I learned because there's an entire island of the bastards, though not quite as strong, and I exasperatedly googled what on earth I was supposed to do to beat it lol

My main complaint was that the encounter is in a low level area for seemingly no reason. Pretty much every other CRPG I played is paced so you can basically handle anything an area can throw at you once you get there. But it seems like Kingmaker just likes to throw extremely powerful enemies at you at random. That would make sense from a replayability perspective, but the main quest is also on a timer so I feel like any kind of backtracking would make me potentially fail.

I wouldn't be so upset if I was playing on hard or above, but there's a lot of design choices made in this game that I just don't get.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

He's in a low level area as essentially a bonus boss. If you slept with your own camping supplies instead of taking the free ones from a group of dead guys you wouldn't have gotten ambushed. You can come back and kill him way later. Alternatively you can just get scrolls to provide electricity resistanc as he deals no physical damage.

Flowing Thot posted:

The Pathfinder games feel like they are designed with the idea that you are doing extreme charop for your entire party in a way that an irl game would never be.
Will o wisps are puzzle enemies that have been in D&D for ages. The Baldur's Gate wolfweres are another demonstration of why they're extremely frustrating design, but the "figure out the monster's gimmick or you die" monster is a D&D staple.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

See, I failed all the DC checks that would warn you about the area. And I just assumed the dudes were dead because of the Kobold war going on. The other thing that made me sleep there was that it seemed conveniently located to give you a rest before going into a dungeon area. So I made an assumption that it was the game designers giving you a free rest before your first big dungeon because this would have fallen into the gameplay tutorial section of most other CRPGs.

I'm all for being imperiled by ignoring environmental signs or failing rolls, but this seemed extremely petty and egregious for being 4 hours into the game.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Tbh the whole thing with swarms was way more egregious to me. The wisp felt like a bunch more of a bonus boss thing. Getting destroyed by "a bunch of spiders" felt way worse till I looked up what you were actually supposed to do to beat that type of enemy

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Yeah, I ran into swarm enemies in a little side quest area and just decided to come back later.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Both Pathfinder games will just be going along minding their own business playing like solid Baldur's Gate tributes and then suddenly a guy with 10 missile attacks per round kills half your party before you can reach him. I have to hand it to those games, they finally helped me both overcome my aforementioned resistance to using limited potions/scrolls AND my aversion to just changing the difficulty level to easy once in a while if I would rather actually make progress tonight than go to bed after two hours of gaming with nothing to show for it

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

As it turns out no one runs Pathfinder adventure paths as written. So translating them directly into a video game takes people by surprise.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Dr. Quarex posted:

Both Pathfinder games will just be going along minding their own business playing like solid Baldur's Gate tributes and then suddenly a guy with 10 missile attacks per round kills half your party before you can reach him.

Yeah I think this is the part that mainly throws me off, just the tonal dissonance between encounters. I'm fine with a hard game but drat, it just seems excessive.

I will say that the implementation of the turn based mode is great and I like how they worked the skill check system into the game. It's a very good conversion of a TTRPG system into a CRPG.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
While the Owlcat Pathfinder games skew more towards the antagonistic DM playing D&D as a competition, IWD and IWD2 are perfect dungeon crawls of progressively strengthening known quantities. The closer parallel is to BG and BG2 where an hour or two into the game you can run into mage assassins, bears, and sirens in BG, or BG2 stuff like the gate district lich or getting poked into your class specific side class of which several have optional dragon fights.

Second problem is by the time you have Pathfinder on top of D&D 3.5 on top of D&D 3 the character build solution space is gigantic and consumables and spell selection further expand so figuring out exactly what you need to do to beat the gimmick optional fight can be a confusing analysis of 'did I build my characters wrong' vs let me just find the solution in my pack of 50 different potions or scrolls.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Vargatron posted:

Lmao I guessed you were talking about the wisp. There's some hints in the area warning you not to try and rest there but everybody does anyway and gets ganked by a mean ghost orb. You're meant to come back later, bit I don't go back later to things I have already encountered, so I reloaded until I beat it. If you can get some magic shields up fast and load everyone you can up with max magic missles it actually goes down pretty fast.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

If we're talking classic CRPGs in general, Arcanum has a real gently caress you that's why moment when the plot makes you explore the Black Mountain Mines which has a bunch of ore golems, enemies made of stone that make all weapons you hit them with eventually break and they have a boat-load of hit-points and resistances and stuff. The werewolf island in BG1 is notorious for being the worst side-quest ever, at least in BG2 you can just DPS them to death. And there's the shield for beholders, though I found that high-level Korgan can fairly reliably face-tank beholders because none of their things work against his saves. Now, mind flayers can gently caress right off, or more precisely have fun playing with my Mordenkainen's swords. And the level drain mechanic with vampires etc. in BG2 is also incredibly infuriating, even if the EEs made it so it doesn't blank your memorized spells list :eng99: At least there's weapons that can vaporize undead on hit!

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Sword of Balduran requires Bastard Sword proficiency so gently caress you if your fighters have longswords or maces.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.

Vargatron posted:

Sword of Balduran requires Bastard Sword proficiency so gently caress you if your fighters have longswords or maces.

You only need it for Karoug, the other island wolfweres and werewolves die to +1 anything. Also Karoug isn't fully immune to magic, or the wand of paralyzation.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Greater wolfwere AC is purportedly 2 in which case your fighter is going to be fine wielding whichever anti lycanthrope weapon while not proficient. Add in a strength potion for maximum probability manipulation.

It's a little tougher if your party can't wield bladed weapons for whatever reason.

Consider also if you don't already know a perfect path to the weapons you blindly chose for proficiency, BG and IWD are low level (plus IWD random loot) enough you often have a maximized choice of wielding a +2 weapon you are not proficient in vs a mundane weapon. Proficiencies are just like guidelines man.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

The main point I'm trying to make is that they put the Werewolf Killer sword into a proficiency group that most characters don't have. Longswords would have made more sense considering what Khalid is proficient with.

Theres nothing inherently wrong with it, its just one of those things that could have been designed better in BG1. Especially considering you could just get stuck on that island if you didnt keep a separate save.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Vargatron posted:

The main point I'm trying to make is that they put the Werewolf Killer sword into a proficiency group that most characters don't have. Longswords would have made more sense considering what Khalid is proficient with.

Theres nothing inherently wrong with it, its just one of those things that could have been designed better in BG1. Especially considering you could just get stuck on that island if you didnt keep a separate save.

In Baldur’s Gate 1 they were the same proficiency. Splitting up the “Large Sword” proficiency is a BG2 thing EE backported.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Arivia posted:

In Baldur’s Gate 1 they were the same proficiency. Splitting up the “Large Sword” proficiency is a BG2 thing EE backported.

Okay, that makes perfect sense now. I never knew that.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Yeah that problem was entirely introduced by the Tutu/BGT/EE versions. In vanilla BG Werewolf Island wasn't nearly as difficult.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Narrow proficiencies suck

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Pillars 1 nailed it IMO allowing you to pick from a set of proficiencies eg Noble giving rapiers, daggers and maces. I absolutely hate the pathfinder games for and anything 3e based or adjacent for making you heavily invest in, say, scimitars only for the game to dole out longswords the whole way through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Jay Rust posted:

Narrow proficiencies suck

I think they're OK-ish in BG2 where most weapon types get some good item, but in BG1 it's bone-headed stupid. Originally swapping Khalid for Minsc was just fine, because Minsc could just wield the same +2 long sword as Khalid did, but nooooo, can't have that now. Of course there's Stupifier in the EE, but they even nerfed that too, the buggers :argh:

Is there anyone who has bastard sword pips out of the gate? Ajantis maybe?