Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I'm making pulled jackfruit sandwiches (same as pulled pork). I have two cans of plain jackfruit -- how do I prep them? Do I just drain and dump, or should I marinade or press dry or anything?

I'm just going to mix them with some onions and sauce in a pan otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
I would drain them rinse them thoroughly and squeeze them dry, breaking up any large pieces.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
The FDA allows certain farm raised fish to not be frozen, but I'm guessing that never happens for fish find in Costco?

It seems risky to assume it has been flash frozen. I've never found any primary source that indicates you can guarantee this fish has been frozen long enough to account for parasites.

Kwolok fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jul 23, 2023

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Kwolok posted:

Raw fish question:

I want to try my hand at some sushi at home. Should I be freezing all fish before trying to eat it raw? Looking stuff up online about whether I can eat a costco salmon filet raw or not gives such contradicting evidence. I understand there is no such thing as sushi-grade but parasites are real and the fda does have some loose guidelines on it...

What others have said is true, but also your home freezer is also probably not cold enough anyway.

The average home freezer is around 0f. To kill parasites you want -4 or colder for 7+ days, which I would wouldn’t trust a home freezer to stay consistently below without cycling above target.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

PRADA SLUT posted:

I'm making pulled jackfruit sandwiches (same as pulled pork). I have two cans of plain jackfruit -- how do I prep them? Do I just drain and dump, or should I marinade or press dry or anything?

I'm just going to mix them with some onions and sauce in a pan otherwise.

Drain, press, boil in a heavily seasoned broth with flavorings of choice 10-20 minutes iirc, (bbq rub, or whatever) finish under broiler with bbq sauce and maybe some oil

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

Doom Rooster posted:

What others have said is true, but also your home freezer is also probably not cold enough anyway.

The average home freezer is around 0f. To kill parasites you want -4 or colder for 7+ days, which I would wouldn’t trust a home freezer to stay consistently below without cycling above target.

I have a chest freezer that stays at a consistent -9F. So I think I'm just gonna do quick cures on fish fillets and then freeze them for a week to be safe.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Kwolok posted:

I have a chest freezer that stays at a consistent -9F. So I think I'm just gonna do quick cures on fish fillets and then freeze them for a week to be safe.

Fair enough. As others have said, refreezing is definitely going to mess with the texture. The faster you can freeze it, the less damage will be done.

To freeze as fast as possible, put a sheet tray in the freezer with a sheet of parchment paper on it at least a few hours before you want to freeze your fish. If you’re slicing steaks/filets/processing it in any way, put it back in the fridge after processing to get back down in temp.

Put the pieces of fish directly on the tray, and wait for them to be fully frozen before wrapping/bagging.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

A thing my son really loved was picking out cookbooks at the library himself, choosing recipes, and helping. Or sometimes just observing, which also teaches. We're still cooking one recipe he found 25 years later.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Kwolok posted:

The FDA allows certain farm raised fish to not be frozen, but I'm guessing that never happens for fish find in Costco?

It seems risky to assume it has been flash frozen. I've never found any primary source that indicates you can guarantee this fish has been frozen long enough to account for parasites.

No reliable supermarket or fishmonger is selling fish with parasites in it

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Spoken like someone who hasn’t seen the video from a couple days ago

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

Arsenic Lupin posted:

A thing my son really loved was picking out cookbooks at the library himself, choosing recipes, and helping. Or sometimes just observing, which also teaches. We're still cooking one recipe he found 25 years later.

what's the recipe?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

All fish have parasites in them the only question is whether the parasites are dead or alive.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

bird with big dick posted:

All fish have parasites in them the only question is whether the parasites are delicious.

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

The fish safety rabbit hole runs deep.

FDA PDFs on Species Related Hazards, FAO docs on the prevalence of parasites in fish by species/origin, forums posts from “source: professional sushi chef in Michelin restaurants for 80 years”…

When eating raw seafood (or any food, really), there’s always some level of risk. It could be from parasites, viruses, bacteria, some form of undetectable ghost jizz, whatever.

Your main concern seems to be parasites. IIRC tuna and farmed salmon have a lower chance of parasites if you’re rawdogging it directly from the market.

You can also make great vegetarian sushi, use cooked fish, or buy prepackaged fish meant for sushi from an Asian/International market.

But you’ve discovered that freezing at a certain temperature for an amount of time will eliminate that risk (and possibly ghost jizz too) completely.

So congrats on having that option and making this long rear end, repetitive post irrelevant. Post your results in the dead Japanese Food thread if you’d like: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3651363

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

DasNeonLicht posted:

what's the recipe?
It was from an Israeli kids' cookbook (there was a series: French, German, and so on): chicken breasts schnitzeled, originally with lemon juice to adhere the breadcrumbs and now just served with lots of lemon wedges.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

bird with big dick posted:

All fish have parasites in them the only question is whether the parasites are dead or alive.

I remember a bunch of articles coming out a few years back that said as much and they really turned me off, especially with descriptions of visible worms in the meat and the gross mushy texture that came with it. The descriptions from people in the business made it sound like every piece of fish was basically teeming with parasites and your best bet was to kill them, but there were plenty of people saying stuff like they wouldn't eat raw fish at all after what they'd seen.

But since I read those articles I've certainly eaten fish both cooked and raw and it's all... normal? I look at it like bacteria, I'm not really going to think about dead bacteria or tiny eggs or something if it's not affecting the quality of the food and it's not a health issue. But when it comes to worms it really sounded like every fish has wriggling entities within the meat, which is certainly something that would gross me out. Are fish with fully grown parasites generally weeded out before they make it to the store? Have I just gotten lucky, or is this generally more of a 'germs' issue than a physical food quality issue?

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
I literally don't give a poo poo if I eat a dead parasite in my fish. It's the living ones I'm worried about. Just put a massive Costco salmon fillet in my chest freezer (on a sheet pan then then in a bag once completely solid). It was cut into smaller pieces, then cured for about ~45 minutes with salt and sugar before being frozen. It'll stay in my freezer for a week then I'll take a piece out and thaw it overnight in my fridge and give you guys a trip report.

Yesterday I had salmon from an Asian market raw and while I still have the exact same concerns about it as I do other "sushi-grade fish" it was a good baseline to compare against, and it was very good.

So I'll do a whole write up once I have results.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Kwolok posted:

I literally don't give a poo poo if I eat a dead parasite in my fish. It's the living ones I'm worried about. Just put a massive Costco salmon fillet in my chest freezer (on a sheet pan then then in a bag once completely solid). It was cut into smaller pieces, then cured for about ~45 minutes with salt and sugar before being frozen. It'll stay in my freezer for a week then I'll take a piece out and thaw it overnight in my fridge and give you guys a trip report.

Yesterday I had salmon from an Asian market raw and while I still have the exact same concerns about it as I do other "sushi-grade fish" it was a good baseline to compare against, and it was very good.

Pretty sure the cure was a huge mistake. Salt and sugar will significantly lower the freezing point, slowing down the freezing process, which is the opposite of good here.

If it turns out not good and you are still dead set on this exercise, try again without the cure.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I thought that you had to go colder than home refrigerators but maybe not

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

mystes posted:

I don't think home refrigerators are cold enough to kill all the parasites, although maybe the salt will help

Isn't it just the temperature that's important not the actual freezing process? Or no?

Not sure how the salt and sugar will affect the already dead parasites, but the problem is that the slower it freezes, the more it fucks up the texture because of bigger ice crystal formation damaging cells.

Upon thawing, I’d expect a mushy chunk of fish in a hefty amount of fishy water.

OP said earlier that their freezer consistently holds -9f, which is cold enough to kill parasites if held long enough.

OP also did just mention that they got the fish from Costco. There is absolutely no chance that fish hasn’t already spent a long time at -30f. There are no living parasites in that fish, and this whole exercise is pointless, and likely to result in a bunch of ruined fish.

Doom Rooster fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jul 24, 2023

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Kwolok posted:

What a you trying to solve for here? There's no chance there's live parasites in your Costco fish. What do you think the cure is doing?

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

Carillon posted:

What a you trying to solve for here? There's no chance there's live parasites in your Costco fish. What do you think the cure is doing?

Why do you think this? The FDA has tons of guidelines on parasite handling and farmed salmon(which this is) doesn't have to be frozen if it meets certain criteria. It's unclear if this is the case here. It's unclear if the fish was ever frozen, or if it was frozen long enough to deal with parasites as the fish is specifically packaged for cooking and not for eating raw. (Though there is no such thing as sushi grade you can expect markets selling fish for raw consumption to ensure parasite killing by freezing but not so for markets selling fish for cooking)

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Kwolok posted:

Why do you think this? The FDA has tons of guidelines on parasite handling and farmed salmon(which this is) doesn't have to be frozen if it meets certain criteria. It's unclear if this is the case here. It's unclear if the fish was ever frozen, or if it was frozen long enough to deal with parasites as the fish is specifically packaged for cooking and not for eating raw. (Though there is no such thing as sushi grade you can expect markets selling fish for raw consumption to ensure parasite killing by freezing but not so for markets selling fish for cooking)

Approach the question from the opposite side. Recommended temp to kill Anisakis is 145f. General salmon cooking temp is 110-130. If Costco were not freezing to kill Anisakis, the vast majority of salmon they sell for cooking would still not be safe.

Costco is not that dumb.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

Doom Rooster posted:

Approach the question from the opposite side. Recommended temp to kill Anisakis is 145f. General salmon cooking temp is 110-130. If Costco were not freezing to kill Anisakis, the vast majority of salmon they sell for cooking would still not be safe.

Costco is not that dumb.

While I don't doubt I am being overly conservative/cautious here the fda recommends all salmon be cooked to 145 for exactly that reason. I don't think costco is dumb, though I could see there being a supply chain issues where technically no one is doing anything illegal/against the guidelines but could mean you eat parasitic fish because it was not intended for raw consumption and however they got their fish supply was from some farm that allowed them to get around the freezing criteria while still potentially harboring parasites.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I’m sorry to report that if you google “live worm salmon Costco” your day will be ruined.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
At the end of the day I have a limit on risk to quality. If it turns out the method I'm using results in super disappointing sushi, then in the future I will probably be willing to incur some risk to eat perfectly tasty good sushi. If my methodology here works then I get to enjoy tasty good sushi without my weird hypochondriac brain saying "Enjoy parasites dipshit".

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

You can be a weird hypochondriac and also not have terrible texture fish by just buying fish that is already frozen and keeping it in your cold-rear end freezer for a week, then thaw and use it.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Is there a proper thread for effortposting about FDA regulations? There's a really huge food safety regulation coming into effect over the next couple years (which should give a sense of how big it is) and I think it may be interesting to folks; for example, it's going to rework the whole supply chain documentation process for salmon.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Discendo Vox posted:

Is there a proper thread for effortposting about FDA regulations?
The one you're about to make. I don't think there's already one. Or, like, a general food science thread, which would also be cool and good.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Discendo Vox posted:

Is there a proper thread for effortposting about FDA regulations? There's a really huge food safety regulation coming into effect over the next couple years (which should give a sense of how big it is) and I think it may be interesting to folks; for example, it's going to rework the whole supply chain documentation process for salmon.

Seconding SubG. I’d love to read it.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Bagheera posted:

Kid-friendly stovetop recipes.

Chicken Noodle Soup

First of all it tastes great. Second of all you can either go super easy mode and buy stock from the store or make this a multi-day, multi-lesson one two punch and teach him how to make stock himself. Per your request it offers the ability to chop various veg and can teach the difference between boiling and simmering. It's not exactly soup weather here, but it is a good project for colder months.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Discendo Vox posted:

Thirding.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
That would be a great thread to have, Discendo. Doesn’t really fit anywhere else so making a new thread seems perfect.

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

My wife bought some quail eggs at the farmer's market and I have no idea what to do with them. How can I use these in a way where I don't think "Huh, I could have just done this with a regular egg"?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Haschel Cedricson posted:

My wife bought some quail eggs at the farmer's market and I have no idea what to do with them. How can I use these in a way where I don't think "Huh, I could have just done this with a regular egg"?

Egg a dollhouse.

Mintymenman
Mar 29, 2021

Haschel Cedricson posted:

I use them instead of chicken eggs for relleño negro. They also make great mini scotch eggs.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
Just got a charcoal grill and some lump charcoal. Grilled up a ribeye and it was great. Need suggestions for the next thing that's easy and tasty

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Kwolok posted:

Just got a charcoal grill and some lump charcoal. Grilled up a ribeye and it was great. Need suggestions for the next thing that's easy and tasty
Yakitori and/or whatever your favourite genre of "things on skewers" is.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Kwolok posted:

Burgers. Juicy Lucy if you want to go a little silly with it.

Just about any chicken is good, but there's something about barbecue chicken that is very charcoal specific. The smoke, and the char of the sugary sauce - there's nothing else quite like it.

If you want to go up one difficulty level, pizza is good. You can get away with a store bought dough, but I think grill specific dough is built a little different.

If I'm doing it I roll out my dough to roughly the size I want my end product to be. Thinner crust is your friend, you're not going to get a pillowy focaccia style crust before things burn.

Have all your toppings ready to go ahead of time and in prep bowls. If you have a peel, great, but a pair of large metal spatulas will probably be more useful.

Clean the grates and set over hot, even fire (coals spread evenly across the bottom). Let that heat for about 5 minutes, covered. Oil the grill lightly, but thoroughly. Toss on the dough and let it cook for a few minutes, lid on. Lift dough, rotate 90 degrees and cook 1-2 more minutes. Flip. As soon as it is flipped, put on the sauce and the rest of your toppings. Try not to weigh it down with too much. Top with the lid and let it go until the cheese is melted and everything is done to your liking 3-5 minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mintymenman
Mar 29, 2021

Kwolok posted:

Spatchcocked chicken. Thick cut pork chops. Oysters are amazing grilled, if you have access to in shell oysters. For veg, whole sweet onions grill-roasted in their skins, whole unpeeled beets, any thick fleshed pepper.