Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

GhostDog posted:

Man I don't know if it's a time and place thing and what I would think of Oxenfree 1 if I played it now, but 2 just doesn't grab me at all. Three hours in I stare at the start button and rather go do the dishes.

Yeah, they really should have released it in October or something. Not really a good summer game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

Jack Trades posted:

I feel like I'm being gaslit here.
Have you tried moving the camera? Do you not see the horrible halo of disocclusion artifacts around your character when you do that?
I'm not sure why but it's particularly bad in that game.

Something looked weird and then I turned off motion blur and it went away.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Sininu posted:

I think it's excusive fullscreen becoming extinct and developers just naming borderless to simply fullscreen. In modern Windows exclusive fullscreen is secretly a borderless window anyway most of the time.

Stupid technical q that might not belong in this thread: When using borderless, don't applications lose some degree of authority on the display mode? Like they can't change the resolution (which is fine, more elegantly solved with res scaling), and I'm not 100% sure if they're controlling vysnc fully, but there must be other issues too.

Not complaining, being able to alt-tab out of proton games without everything breaking (or just having my monitor freak out as it resets) is very nice.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

yes, fullscreen applications maintain control of what's being displayed at all times, while borderless operates through the OS renderer. that's why you lose vsync and resolution options, because the application is no longer in charge of those so they won't have any effect.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Can you not set up Library view as the default page for Big Picture? It's almost hidden (you need to open the main menu, and then select it from there).

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

You definitely can, I've set up Steam on my desktop to open into my library. I'm unfortunately away from my PC right now and can't remember how off the top of my head, though.

E: Never mind, didn't read thoroughly enough. I dunno if you can do it in Big Picture, I almost never use it, unless you count Gaming mode on Steam Deck.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Trine 5 releases August 31st. it's the series that just won't quit

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
It's funny, looking at the Remnant 2 thread and remembering that pre-launch Destiny claim that, "every gun will have a story." In the latter, that story really just ends up being, "idk it was a random drop with good rolls/I bought it off Xur", whereas looking at the R2 thread, people actually are talking about all the secrets they had to go through to get some particular, handcrafted piece of gear.

Trucker Hat
Jul 25, 2021
THE NINJA WARRIORS ONCE AGAIN IS GETTING A STEALTH RELEASE LATER TODAY

I was obsessed with this game when it came out on Switch in 2019, and always found it weird that it never came on Steam. No mention of pricing but if it's anything like Wild Guns Reloaded and Pocky and Rocky (USD $30 at launch), will probably be a bit too much for an impulse purchase.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Whatever happened to the game, Dark and Darker? Is that dead?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I said come in! posted:

Whatever happened to the game, Dark and Darker? Is that dead?

It's in legal limbo because Nexon is suing the developers, claiming they stole it from a Nexon project. I'm not too up to speed on the story but last I saw they were still releasing betas but they were only available via official torrent

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

deep dish peat moss posted:

It's in legal limbo because Nexon is suing the developers, claiming they stole it from a Nexon project. I'm not too up to speed on the story but last I saw they were still releasing betas but they were only available via official torrent

For the record the developers are former Nexon employees, so the accusation is less that they stole D&D from the "real" creators and more that they used ideas/resources that should belong to Nexon. Which is a defense from a moral perspective but unfortunately not a legal one.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The 7th Guest posted:

Trine 5 releases August 31st. it's the series that just won't quit

Why not, I’ll buy another

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I thought it was one of those, "It was developed on our systems / with some of code, therefore it's ours" kinda situations? Which IIRC, is actually a legal defense and IMO much less of an actually defensible moral position.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
AC Odyssey and AC Origins are on sale. I'll probably only have the energy to play one or the other. Haven't played more than an hour of any AC games since the Ezio trilogy (which I loved) and don't care at all about the sci-fi parts of the story. Of the two, which is worth getting?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I don't know about Origins but Odyssey is the most needlessly padded game I have ever played.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Both are good AC games. Personally, I like Odyssey more but either is worth getting.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Eason the Fifth posted:

AC Odyssey and AC Origins are on sale. I'll probably only have the energy to play one or the other. Haven't played more than an hour of any AC games since the Ezio trilogy (which I loved) and don't care at all about the sci-fi parts of the story. Of the two, which is worth getting?

With some differences between the skills and combat systems they play pretty similarly. If you just wanna hit up the main story and not care about the sea of icons the answer is genuinely just “whichever you’re more interested in.”

Origins is centered on an Ancient Egyptian sherif going on a quest for revenge but being a very wholesome neighborhood dad on the way.

Odysseys centers on a Ancient Greek mercenary (choice of man or woman character) going on a quest for revenge while being very tired of everyone’s poo poo but very helpful nonetheless.

Both games have very, very minor modern sections and both have connections to the sci-fi portions of the AC plot but it’s mostly just part of the world as opposed to a huge side thing that cuts into the pacing.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

Eason the Fifth posted:

Put it entirely in whether you want to be in Greece or Egypt. Both are good, but yeah don't play both. The Origins protagonist has a story focused on personal tragedy and revenge, Odyssey is basically..well, quintessential Greek adventuring.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Odyssey lets you turn off Fall Damage so it's better by default

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

btw if you go with Odyssey, Kassandra is a million times better than Alexios

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

kazil posted:

:yeah:

As a chronic cutscene skipper, I recommend not skipping the cutscenes in Odyssey because her VA did a great job.

Orv
May 4, 2011

kazil posted:

Some people do not believe this and they should be censured at the highest levels

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Origins, and Odyssey are both really good, and Valhalla is good but doesn't live up to the previous two games.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/2434320/view/3646277565616166953

Steam Stealth Fest starts today, and visiting daily can confer a new sticker

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Flair posted:

Sticker!! I love stickers. Thanks for pointing this out

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

I said come in! posted:

Origins, and Odyssey are both really good, and Valhalla is good but doesn't live up to the previous two games.

I'm Norse'd out after God of War. I'll probably go with Odyssey just on account of having more interest in Greece than Egypt.

Thanks for all the replies!

Ripper Swarm
Sep 9, 2009

It's not that I hate it. It's that I loathe it.

I said come in! posted:

I'm going to go a little further and say Odyssey didn't quite live up to Origins. Yes, Greece was bigger in every way but Egypt absolutely oozed style. If I was ever struck by the insane urge to replay one of these huge games I'd go for Origins, but admittedly I'd be a close choice.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I did really like Bayek and Origins, but it'd be hard to pass up the chance to play Kassandra again. She's just so much fun.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Ezio, Bayek and Kassandra all have really charismatic actors and actually good writing supporting them and almost every other AC protagonist drops one or both of those balls, at least to me. Others get close to great on both axises, like Evie and Jacob but of the AC games I’m always thinking about replaying it’s those three for sure.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

It's worth considering the Discovery Tours too. If you're a history nerd but not all that knowledgeable about the specific settings, they're excellent to mess around in. I learned a lot about pyramids!

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

pyramids are pointy

e: except for Mesoamerican pyramids

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Hwurmp posted:

pyramids are pointy

e: except for Mesoamerican pyramids

And there's a burial chamber about where the minty bit would have been in a pyramint

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Flair posted:

I legitimately cannot tell where the gently caress I'm supposed to go anymore to claim the Steam event freebies.

mystes
May 31, 2006

MonkeyforaHead posted:

I legitimately cannot tell where the gently caress I'm supposed to go anymore to claim the Steam event freebies.
the link in that link?

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:

HopperUK posted:

And there's a burial chamber about where the minty bit would have been in a pyramint

Britain got a real life Willy Wonka inventing chocolate fruits and pyramids with mint entombed within and they name him "Terry"

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

mystes posted:

the link in that link?

...That is bizarre, I swear it was not there when I looked 10 minutes ago so I went trawling the main page and doing discovery queues and the usual tripe.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

MonkeyforaHead posted:

...That is bizarre, I swear it was not there when I looked 10 minutes ago so I went trawling the main page and doing discovery queues and the usual tripe.

It's probably a browser vs client login bug that I've seen pop up sometimes.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I hope AC: Mirage is good, but I realize the chances are pretty slim because of UBISoft in their current state. But also its important to remember that Mirage is not Origins/Odyssey, its going back to the old style AC games, and then we are getting a return to the RPGs again with Red.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
I could definitely go for a city only AC with more modern tech than the last one we got. Syndicate was larger than Unity but felt a lot more empty, Unity is still kinda impressive in its crowds and it’d be cool to see that refined in a game that doesn’t run like absolute garbage at launch.