Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Trying to think of itd be funnier for angron or gulliman to wear a "I'm not the step dad I'm the dad that stepped up" shirts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The guy who uploads audiobook excerpts put one up detailing Kharn's duel with Erebus in Betrayer. I really need to listen to more Keeble narrations, he's phenomenal.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

It's straight up unfair to the other narrators. Also I remembered another thing re Keeble being incredible but sometimes making weird choices: All the Marge Simpsons women/children. After I started noticing it's just kind of stuck in my mind.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The shiva temple at pramaban is about exactly the size of the largest titan class and has towers on top of it so even looks like it . I am using 140 meters or so as the height

Here is a picture with people for context https://shershegoes.com/borobudur-sunrise-tour-prambanan/

Idk in my brain canon the largest titans are like a mile tall. But I guess they would not fit in naval ships

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Consider the mass, though. That temple has a wide base and a narrow top to remain stable. Warhammer Titans say "gently caress the square cube law" and are as wide as the temple at their feet and arguably wider at the top where the fortress sits atop the gun shoulders.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jul 27, 2023

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

That’s a good point

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Suspensor fields.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Trazyn: What’s he doing?

Crypto (peering into tesseract labyrinth): I think he’s attempting re-entry

:golfclap:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Black Griffon posted:

Suspensor fields.

Suspender fields for the most senior Titans.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Ok so imagine two of those temples right next to each other and upside down

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

yeah but honestly, tough poo poo. Angron was done dirty but also he should have expressly forbid the World Eaters from implanting the nails. He was so hung up on his gladiator friends and what he saw as the Emperor's betrayal that he inflicted the same cruelty on them that had been done to him.

Oh, certainly. Then again, he was not thinking straight because of the evil archeotech wired into his brain. Angron became a monster due to circumstances. The Big E engineered the circumstances to create galaxy-wide atrocity.

Also , I understand there has been a bit of a retcon. in 'Betrayer' it's pretty much said that the legion chose to implant the Butcher's Nails to find a kinship with their broken primarch, with him even forbiddon librarians from getting the surgery once results went bad, and that Angron's degeneration was gradual. But a later book (Slave of Nuceria?) pretty much said that he was bugfuck crazy from the start, decimating his legion several times for taking more than a day to conquer a world (seems like someone who only finds solace and pleasure in war would want it to last, but what do I know), then ordering them to implant them and causing a minor civil war.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

euphronius posted:

The shiva temple at pramaban is about exactly the size of the largest titan class and has towers on top of it so even looks like it . I am using 140 meters or so as the height

Here is a picture with people for context https://shershegoes.com/borobudur-sunrise-tour-prambanan/

Idk in my brain canon the largest titans are like a mile tall. But I guess they would not fit in naval ships

Eh, there have actually been multiple conflicting sizes for titans in the lore over the years. The way the authors tend to describe them and what they are doing makes them a lot taller than that even if that is the current "official" number. GW/BL is really bad at numbers.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
No two Titans are the same either. The Titan Dominatus wreckage in Winter Assault is colossal and strewn across an entire battlefield and yet its still supposed to be an Imperator Class. There's likely not an upper limit on the size of Titans if you dig deep enough into the dark age of technology.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

That temple is badass. I know the Gothic/Catholic angle is pretty much the core of the Imperium's aesthetic but I wish they incorporated more styles too

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Arc Hammer posted:

Consider the mass, though. That temple has a wide base and a narrow top to remain stable. Warhammer Titans say "gently caress the square cube law" and are as wide as the temple at their feet and arguably wider at the top where the fortress sits atop the gun shoulders.

When I look at most Imperator Titan art it's not even the feet width that bother me, it's the hips. All the weight of the upper body and cathedrals pushing down the centre of a relatively thin, cylindrical rod that is supported at the edges by legs that must also rotate.

It really feels like either the hip should bend/break at the centre, or the upper body should flip forwards/backwards spinning the cylinder around.

The way the hips are drawn, for example, on the cover of Titandeath is much less bothersome.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

DaysBefore posted:

That temple is badass. I know the Gothic/Catholic angle is pretty much the core of the Imperium's aesthetic but I wish they incorporated more styles too

In the Black Legion books they meet a Dark Mechanics faction that has a decidedly Hindu flavor down to their leader fashioning her body in the shape of a multi-armed goddess (though with a Quelaag style Spider Butt)

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

D-Pad posted:

Eh, there have actually been multiple conflicting sizes for titans in the lore over the years. The way the authors tend to describe them and what they are doing makes them a lot taller than that even if that is the current "official" number. GW/BL is really bad at numbers.

I was going off the most consensus number from the 1d4 article for 450’ or so

As I said I think they are like a mile tall

Edit

I am misremembering

140 meters or so is what abnett says for the height of the biggest ones

Other spices have 43 meters ????? No way there lame

euphronius fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jul 27, 2023

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Consider that outside of one exception the largest Godzillas have been about 120 meters tall.

A 140 meter tall Imperator would be colossal by any metric.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The pramaban temple is only 154 feet

Not meters

Carry on. I am dumb

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

euphronius posted:

Not meters

Carry on. I am dumb

mods??

secular woods sex
Aug 1, 2000
I dispense wisdom by the gallon.
I read Day of Ascension by Adrian Tchaikovsky and it was . . . okay, I guess.

I know he’s an established sci-fi author and I’ve enjoyed a lot of what he’s written in the past, but Day of Ascension doesn’t feel like it takes place in the Warhammer 40k universe. It’s missing something that I can’t quite put my finger on.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

euphronius posted:

Other spices have 43 meters ????? No way there lame

Even a 20 meter tall warhound running around howling and firing a chain gun and plasma cannons would be pretty intimidating.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Me and my platoon of conscripted idiots laughing our asses off at tiny titans

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

The prologue for Abnett's Titanicus book is a platoon of conscripts in the middle of a Titan war going 'why the gently caress are we even here', it's great

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

At least they don't have to wonder about for too long. :v:

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

euphronius posted:

Not meters

Carry on. I am dumb

Big Spinal Tap's stonehenge moment, only grimdark.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Benagain posted:

Trying to think of itd be funnier for angron or gulliman to wear a "I'm not the step dad I'm the dad that stepped up" shirts.

I need to see Angron in this so bad

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Arc Hammer posted:

The guy who uploads audiobook excerpts put one up detailing Kharn's duel with Erebus in Betrayer. I really need to listen to more Keeble narrations, he's phenomenal.

can you link it maybe or dm me?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

S.J. posted:

I need to see Angron in this so bad

Fulgrim in Power Shorts that say "JUICY" on the rear end

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Dapper_Swindler posted:

can you link it maybe or dm me?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnIVDnOkFDs

Get. Up.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
Apparently there are more than 300 skyscrapers in New York City that are at least 150 m tall. The Empire State Building is 381 m tall. A good comparison to an Imperator might be Strasbourg Cathedral, which is 141 m of Gothic goodness. No Plasma Annihilator though (I’ve checked).

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strasbourg_Cathedral

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

96 meters

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

A warhound with cloce combat weapons

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Improbable Lobster posted:

Fulgrim in Power Shorts that say "JUICY" on the rear end

should it be JUICY or PINK

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

S.J. posted:

should it be JUICY or PINK

One’s on the front the other on the back.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Read Justin Hill’s Cadia Stands recently, actually ended up really enjoying it, I knew that Lesk would make it out, but I still really liked how Cadia’s death was only three-quarters of the way through and the last bit was just her and the two others trying desperately to find a way off as it fell apart.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

A calm and composed World Eater is one of the most terrifying things ever

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Ah gently caress I just noticed the typo!! No!!!!

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Picked up this bad boy today mainly for the art

Also these models are great:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

That book is sick