Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zbn
May 11, 2009

Fidelitious posted:

I understand this is a low security application but I didn't know that they even still made warded locks. Is it actually cheaper than a cheap pin-tumbler?

It's a lever lock, fairly common in the UK (can be secure enough for external doors, according to whoever writes the British Standards) and probably cheaper than buying the Euro cylinder equivalent for this type of sashlock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

The wards have failed. The electrician and 99 have retreated to the plant room. We dug the foundations too greedily and too deep. They are coming. The pool from the heat store is up to the mario wall at the west gate. We cannot get out: the end comes soon. Drums; drums in the deep. We cannot get out.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

NotJustANumber99 posted:

He loled and asked how long it had taken and why I'd done it. My answer to both was mostly obfuscation.

There was only one moment where he literally had to sit down, which is lucky I hadn't installed the plasterboard yet, not because it covered all the electrics but because the pile of it gave him something to sit on when he couldn't contain himself anymore.

The other way I would have seen this going is he immediately went down the road to the pub before coming back to finish the inspection.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

zbn posted:

It's a lever lock, fairly common in the UK (can be secure enough for external doors, according to whoever writes the British Standards) and probably cheaper than buying the Euro cylinder equivalent for this type of sashlock.

Does the UK and/or Europe have something akin to what Americans put on bedrooms and bathrooms, where the door can be locked from the inside but on the outside instead of a key you just unlock it with a flathead screwdriver (sometimes recessed into a tiny hole in the knob)?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Sometimes.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

zbn posted:

Apparently they're marginally more secure than cylinder locks. Front doors often seem to have one of each, presumably because you need different tools or something to pick them?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I have lived in england back in 88-91 and visited a couple times in the last couple decades and as far as I can tell, the whole country still has millions of door locks that involve comically large old-timey keys with round shanks and like, two fat square bits hanging off of it, and everyone just pretends like this is normal and fine

like you are like "hullo I'm checking in to this B&B" and they say "lovely, tea is at five, elevenses is at half eight, you'll be staying in the Partridge Room" and then they hand you this

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Leperflesh posted:

I have lived in england back in 88-91 and visited a couple times in the last couple decades and as far as I can tell, the whole country still has millions of door locks that involve comically large old-timey keys with round shanks and like, two fat square bits hanging off of it, and everyone just pretends like this is normal and fine

like you are like "hullo I'm checking in to this B&B" and they say "lovely, tea is at five, elevenses is at half eight, you'll be staying in the Partridge Room" and then they hand you this

Just based on places I've lived, it was apparently the done victorian thing to put this kind of simple lock on most every internal door. Doors still work a hundo fifty years later, no need to replace them, so the locks also still work, and the keys remain old timey (because who needs a euro cylinder for the living room).

I've seen them used in two ways so far:
1. My parents keeping us away from the christmas presents until everyone's ready on christmas day when we were little
2. Potential dates being like "why do you have a lock on this door" as if I personally carpentered it in 1892

Jaded Burnout fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jul 28, 2023

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Jaded Burnout posted:

Just based on places I've lived, it was apparently the done victorian thing to put this kind of simple lock on most every internal door. Doors still work a hundo fifty years later, no need to replace them, so the locks also still work, and the keys remain old timey (because who needs a euro cylinder for the living room).

Queen Victoria's bedroom door had two separate keyholes, one that only the royal couple had a copy of and one for the servants. Each of them had an enamelled cover on the inside to keep people from peeking through.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Yeah I kind of regret already the lock setup for the plant room.

I had the cheapest euro cylinder and lock and everything setup in my toolstation basket and was about to go get it all then realised the escutcheons werent available today so I thought urgh maybe save some money and got what I got instead. It was 20 quid rather than 50. I still dint get the escutcheons though lol. It annoys me that the keys are poo poo and the air tightness is hosed because theres a big old keyhole for queen victoria to spy into my plant room through.

Eh.

Pretty nice and pleased with it for the money

Fitted really well until I stuck in the draft exluder brush strip things. Now its a real struggle to push it shut ffs. whatever

wild flower garden leading to plant room

right plasterer is resheduled for tomorrow so lets get some plasterboard up to show willing. My plasterboard robot refuses to leave the great room.

I dismantled him a bit and folded him up some more and got him into the normal rooms then instantly realised I didnt have the right hole cutter for the downlight spotlight things so 15th trip of the week to toolstation for a 76mm holecutter cos no one sells the 74mm one the instructions ask for.

Holes. Cuttered.

Finally getting some use out of this thing I have facebutted in the other room about 500 times now

Its actually really good, so much less backbreaking twisty sweating sweary 2player crap.

LED profile in at the side. Obviously some issues but we'll see. Nice on site interview for the plasterer to assess their abilities/work ethic as to whether its been done right and how much of a ballache it will be for them.

NotJustANumber99 fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jul 28, 2023

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

You could get one of those lil keyhole covers that swing to the side

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Jaded Burnout posted:

You could get one of those lil keyhole covers that swing to the side

The front door of the rented house has that and it is loving annoying

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

NotJustANumber99 posted:

right plasterer is resheduled for tomorrow so lets get some plasterboard up to show willing.

When does the left plasterer arrive?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

no, lol I see your error there, english is a funny old language eh?

it's when is the wrong plasterer arriving

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

Leperflesh posted:

no, lol I see your error there, english is a funny old language eh?

it's when is the wrong plasterer arriving

I think the wrong plasterer has already come and gone. Or maybe that was at JB's place.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Docjowles posted:

I have questions about the file named "dig kill shed"

"He understood it all. Not why, but it." is one of the most wonderful phrases I've ever read :bravo: I am going to repurpose this for poo poo I come across in IT/software where I understand on a literal level what was done but cannot begin to comprehend why it was done.

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Hobbies, Crafts, & Houses > Towards L shape architecture: He understood it all. Not why, but it.

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

EasilyConfused posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Hobbies, Crafts, & Houses > Towards L shape architecture: He understood it all. Not why, but it.

Lol, that could almost be a quote from a Cormac McCarthy novel

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I dismantled him a bit and folded him up some more and got him into the normal rooms then instantly realised I didnt have the right hole cutter for the downlight spotlight things so 15th trip of the week to toolstation for a 76mm holecutter cos no one sells the 74mm one the instructions ask for.

76mm is a literal hairsbreadth short of 3 inches (< .002") ; 74mm neither works out to being close to any fractional inch measurement (unless Home Depot is really out there is selling 2 — 59/64" hole saws) nor is it a regular interval for a metric tool size. One of the mysteries of this house that albeit small, goes down in the books with the break room requirement.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I would just get some Abloy locks.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

OK so couple of gently caress ups.

See that hole there in the middle? Thats a light going above the bath. But...

The shower control unit is directly above there and there isnt room for the light to stick up in there.

Whilst this is all left accessible its only somewhat accessible. need to undo the screws holding that all down

Stick in an extra batten on each side. Now just enough room for the light to push up through the plasterboard ceiling from beneath. Sorted

Only had to edit one of the pipes down a bit to get it to all fit back together nicely

Also forgot to drill out the hole for the overhead rain shower that comes through the ceiling. Now I have (little hole on the right) I've realised the light is way too close to the showerhead and basically blots the whole light out. So gotta move the light hole further to the left and fill back in the old one with the hole i just cut out

Piece of batten above to screw into to hold it tight.

Lol

Anyway plasterer came round today. Youngish lad. nice enough. Seems to know his stuff to an extent. Anyway he'll get a quote back soonish. But when asked reckons its 4-5 weeks work for 4 or 5 of them. hmmm. sounds pricey. Might have to learn to plaster.

So right back at the start budget I had around 7k in for plastering based off the self build book I borrowed from the library. 12quid a m2 for walls, 15 for ceiling. This didnt include the loft. including that at these rates brings it up to like 8k.

Remember back to when I had labourers and 100 quid just about covered one of them a day? Well lets say plasterers are 150 quid a day. times 4 of them. times 4, 5 day weeks. thats 12k. Agreed I'd provide all materials.

Lets see what happens. But I wouldnt be surprised at a quote of 20k.

NotJustANumber99 fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jul 29, 2023

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Anyway plasterer came round today. Youngish lad. nice enough. Seems to know his stuff to an extent. Anyway he'll get a quote back soonish. But when asked reckons its 4-5 weeks work for 4 or 5 of them. hmmm. sounds pricey. Might have to learn to plaster.

.. HOW MANY?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Jaded Burnout posted:

.. HOW MANY?

does that sound crazy?

To be fair eveyone always seems to exaggerate how many of them there will be. I was getting a team of 4 brickies and it turned into one old dude.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I mean I have a limited sample size and maybe I’m seeing less work in my memory but that’s a thousand hours of work for a what 100sqm property? Ten person hours per square metre?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Jaded Burnout posted:

I mean I have a limited sample size and maybe I’m seeing less work in my memory but that’s a thousand hours of work for a what 100sqm property? Ten person hours per square metre?

floor area?

er... its 225sqm ish

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

NotJustANumber99 posted:

floor area?

er... its 225sqm ish

Okay, so not as crazy, but still seems crazy to me.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

i asked a tradie pal using the L diagram in the OP and he 4 weeks for 2 skilled people would be "high-end of reasonable"

but I also didn't show him the photos of the house, so hmm.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

Also, what is a shower control unit and how many miles of cable does it require?

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

Jaded Burnout posted:

.. HOW MANY?

I found out drywall contractors shot up in price, at least I'm starting to get better at muding. Drywall hoist and rolling scaffolding it is.

How many quotes did you get for that plaster work?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

https://victoriaplum.com/product/mi...0xoCQXsQAvD_BwE

It needs power, run off a standard electric ring/radial/99 radial, through a 3 amp fused spur. Also a data line back to the server cabinet. It then has two lines down into the bathroom that come with it, both are probably 10metres ish.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

NotJustANumber99 posted:

https://victoriaplum.com/product/mi...0xoCQXsQAvD_BwE

It needs power, run off a standard electric ring/radial/99 radial, through a 3 amp fused spur. Also a data line back to the server cabinet. It then has two lines down into the bathroom that come with it, both are probably 10metres ish.

:bighow:

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Your daily cup of fuck you.
Why in the gently caress do you need a programmable shower? For the record, as there is a remote possibility, I am not looking to kink shame.

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal
The Russians just used a faucet

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Starbucks posted:

Why in the gently caress do you need a programmable shower? For the record, as there is a remote possibility, I am not looking to kink shame.

so i can turn it on remotely, perfect any temperature you want shower from anywhere in the world! I feel like I've explained this multiple times.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Wifi Toilet posted:

The Russians just used a faucet

jesus christ wifi toilet! you've got to be on my side here?!?

SpeedFreek posted:

How many quotes did you get for that plaster work?

Yeah just one so far. Got another lad coming on monday. And actually as I say it isnt actually a quote yet so we'll see what number he comes up with. Thats just me steeling myself for the worst.

NotJustANumber99 fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jul 29, 2023

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

NotJustANumber99 posted:

jesus christ wifi toilet! you've got to be on my side here?!?

lol

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

NotJustANumber99 posted:

so i can turn it on remotely, perfect any temperature you want shower from anywhere in the world! I feel like I've explained this multiple times.

If you move the plants from the plant room into the shower, you can water them when you're on vacation!

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Your daily cup of fuck you.

devicenull posted:

If you move the plants from the plant room into the shower, you can water them when you're on vacation!

Sold.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Ah, no, this is a cultural misunderstanding. The "shower room" is where you show guests into, like a parlour.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
Plastering sucks but 4-5 weeks with 4-5 people sounds insane to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

shut up blegum posted:

Plastering sucks but 4-5 weeks with 4-5 people sounds insane to me

3 Eastern European lads barrelled through my 100sqm house and plastered the whole lot in I think 3 days, it was a neat job too