Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Drakyn posted:

edit: also is 'yop' a new zealand thing a gideon thing or something else entirely i'm sure i must have more questions but that's the only one i can rememmber.

sebmojo posted:

Naw, we would say yup, but yop is a reasonable equivalent, like that's what it sounds like when we talk

I know a guy (Ngāti Whātua Ōrākei) who uses it, but I dunno where he picked it up. But it's always felt right to me because of that. But also yeah, what Mojo said, our accent means we only have one vowel sound, two if we're feeling fancy.

(Fush and Chups, Nu Zullind, etc etc)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Dawgstar posted:

Reading Nona put the booties on Noodle lead me to think that Muir had done that herself a time or two.

https://twitter.com/pilpopilpo/status/1645823178084610049?s=20

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

sebmojo posted:

Naw, we would say yup, but yop is a reasonable equivalent, like that's what it sounds like when we talk

cptn_dr posted:

I know a guy (Ngāti Whātua Ōrākei) who uses it, but I dunno where he picked it up. But it's always felt right to me because of that. But also yeah, what Mojo said, our accent means we only have one vowel sound, two if we're feeling fancy.

(Fush and Chups, Nu Zullind, etc etc)

i guess there really are no acceptable white commonwealth countries

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Google Jeb Bush posted:

i guess there really are no acceptable white commonwealth countries

??

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
https://twitter.com/AcousticMalta/status/1577763084894146578?t=HWyzqTZTiXGRdw_P0w3ZhQ&s=19

Canon

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

The heart bouncing off Harrow is always my favorite part.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Reclaimer posted:

It's one of Lana Kane's catchphrases in Archer, like an aggressive "you are not stopping me" assertion.

this is exactly how i read it

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
pop culture reference or weird new zealand quirk? impossible to tell with this series

Zierham
Dec 17, 2004
"Put something in otherwise you get stupid newbie"

Reclaimer posted:

It's one of Lana Kane's catchphrases in Archer, like an aggressive "you are not stopping me" assertion.

Thanks for catching this - when reading and listening to it in book, it always felt familiar but I couldn't place it. Dunno if this is the intended "source" but it's 100% the same vibe.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

"What is this 'internet'?"
"See? I did create a utopia."

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
The Unwanted Guest officially announced as the short story title in the paperback

https://twitter.com/TorDotComPub/status/1684279160695410688?s=20

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost
I would like to chew someone’s face off metaphorically for deciding the short stories don’t get included in the audiobooks

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
Same, if only to hear Quirk have another go with Mercymorn

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Is it just me or Nona was kinda meh?

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

I think it's weaker than the other two but I could still enjoy just spending time with the characters, plus getting a look from outside Jod's empire. It does feel a bit stretched out, though that makes a lot of sense given it was the first act of Alecto that just kept expanding on Muir.

I'm willing to forgive a lot at the moment, though, because I just tried to pick up Wheel of Time again and before I was fifty pages into a book all urge to read just slid completely out of my brain and dribbled out my ears.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Sekenr posted:

Is it just me or Nona was kinda meh?

It hits a lot better second time through, but I liked it as much as the other two overall

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

My current ranking is Harrow, Gideon, Nona, but I still adore the book, it's just up against...two of my favorite books. Like, Nona compares pretty well to a lot of other sff I've read in the last decade, just doesn't blow them away like Harrow does, and wasn't the pure unadulterated joy reading Gideon for the first time was.

I'll also say Harrow was not my favorite the first read, or the second.

mewse
May 2, 2006

The major tone change with Harrow prepared me for another tone change with Nona, and then Nona wasn't as mystifying as Harrow either so I enjoyed it more. I have Gideon as my fav, followed by Nona, followed by Harrow.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I didn't appreciate the ghost plot of Harrow enough the first time around because I was very confused and thought the ghost was Alecto.

But it had a bunch of other cool stuff that I loved so Harrow is still my favorite and then probably Gideon then probably Nona but Nona will move up when I reread them all again

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jul 28, 2023

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Nona didn't jump around chronologically and "x days until the Tomb opens" wasn't quite as "what the gently caress is going to happen" suspenseful as "x days until the Emperor is murdered" so it's a bit less of a mindfuck of a story

Harrow also has that eureka moment when you, the reader, realize she did a find-and-replace in her brain and for me nothing in Nona quite matched that

I really liked Nona though! She and Noodle are my friends.

FuturePastNow fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jul 28, 2023

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
what, slice of life in a war torn hellhole with some body snatcher shenanigans on the side isnt yalls favorite genre?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Robo Reagan posted:

what, slice of life in a war torn hellhole with some body snatcher shenanigans on the side isnt yalls favorite genre?

I've never experienced it before, so I can't say that it is! Good intro to it though

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Harrow is my favorite of the three but I appreciate them all greatly. It’s like trying to pick between which piece of the Neapolitan ice cream I like best.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Luigi Thirty posted:

Harrow is my favorite of the three but I appreciate them all greatly. It’s like trying to pick between which piece of the Neapolitan ice cream I like best.

What's the fourth flavor, I'm worried for Alecto now :ohdear:

mewse
May 2, 2006

silvergoose posted:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

FuturePastNow posted:

I really liked Nona though! She and Noodle are my friends.

Nona loves you.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

silvergoose posted:

Vanilla - Gideon, what many will consider a straightforward flavor if they don't think about it too deeply
Chocolate - Harrow, a bit rich and to be savored
Strawberry - Alecto, because Barbie jokes

Nona is the sprinkles that just poured out everywhere I didn't think they'd come flooding out of the shaker like this, poo poo poo poo poo poo!

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Dawgstar posted:

Nona loves you.

I know and I worry for her health.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

disposablewords posted:

Vanilla - Gideon, what many will consider a straightforward flavor if they don't think about it too deeply
Chocolate - Harrow, a bit rich and to be savored
Strawberry - Alecto, because Barbie jokes

Nona is the sprinkles that just poured out everywhere I didn't think they'd come flooding out of the shaker like this, poo poo poo poo poo poo!

Perfect. If you some how Lyctored them all into one ice cream cone, they'd be a Neapolitan! (with sprinkles)

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
I'd like to see Calvin and Hobbes strips drawn using characters from TLT, does this already exist somewhere?

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

John telling Harrow that she needs to finish her tea and biscuits because it builds character.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Gideon Without Gideon in the style of Garfield Without Garfield

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

FuturePastNow posted:

Gideon Without Gideon in the style of Garfield Without Garfield

so Harrow?

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

ORTUSfield ate all the lasagna....but the lasagna is sitting here, untouched.
*Blood leaks from every cranial orifice.*
Mondays!

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Congratulations Commander, you're going to give birth to a healthy litter of puppies.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
it's totally a highdea but I was thinking about narration in books. GtN was third person, HtN was second, Nona was third person as well but that book was mostly a happy little accident and also had a limited omniscience narrator I think so maybe that's also counts for changing narration? I wonder if AtN will be first person

Robo Reagan fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Aug 2, 2023

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

StumblyWumbly posted:

I'd like to see Calvin and Hobbes strips drawn using characters from TLT, does this already exist somewhere?

https://twitter.com/lambocalypse/status/1565177376266457088?s=20

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Just read Muir's short story, Undercover, and it's definitely a must read for fans of her work. Hoping she'll flesh out the world further and give readers a bigger bite.

Folks have any recommendations for similar writers?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Similar is such a difficult task, I find her writing so unique.

For stuff kinda maybe in the same vein

I'd suggest The Dawnhounds, by one of our very own thread posters and also a NZ author
And Saint Death's Daughter, which very much works in the necromancers are loving weird space

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

I recently started Seven Blades in Black and the main protagonist hits pretty similar to Gideon.

Edit: The audiobook's narrator is also pretty good, though it's hard to beat Quirk.

Reclaimer fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Aug 7, 2023