Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

DTurtle posted:

We might have to wait longer for Part Two:

So I guess Barbie is making too much money to hide during union negotiations and Zaslav figures the right thing to do to crush the union is to push their other likely moneybomb into the next fiscal year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

AnEdgelord posted:

I think you're both right but only partially, it was indeed against some form of AI but the "Machine Thinking" was definitely part of it and Leto II definitely uses that phrase in God-Emperor when discussing it. Weirdly God-Emperor is the best source for what Frank Herbert himself wanted to say with the Butlerian Jihad.

Leto does not use that phrase in God Emperor. I just checked. He does speak of a "machine-attitude":

God Emperor Leto II posted:

“The target of the Jihad was a machine-attitude as much as the machines. Humans had set those
machines to usurp our sense of beauty, our necessary selfdom out of which we make living judgments. Naturally,
the machines were destroyed.”

But note how he frames it less as some conscious goal of the Jihad and more like a subconscious drive to the Jihad. "Naturally, the machines were destroyed" tells me that he saw it as an inevitable result. Humanity would by its nature overcome that machine-attitude. That's supported by the passage's context as well. He's talking to Moneo about Hwi and expressing delight and surprise to discover the Ixians, he actually says, "of all people," are the ones who made her. These people most caught up in the "machine-attitude" are the same people who produced this perfect exemplar of humanity.

He makes a point closer to what I think people mean when they're talking about "machine thinking" with Siona in the desert:

God Emperor Leto II posted:

“There’s a lesson in that, too. What do such machines really do? They increase the number of things we can do
without thinking. Things we do without thinking—there’s the real danger. Look at how long you walked across this
desert without thinking about your face mask.”

But he's not chiding Siona for relying to heavily on machines here. He's chiding her for relying on him to watch out for her safety. They're talking about machines because he just shocked her by admitted to using Ixian machines to record his journals.

This is all in the leadup to him offering her spice essence to rehydrate and survive the desert, the spice essence that triggers her vision of seeker robots wiping out humanity:

Siona's vision posted:

Siona’s eyes remained opened, but they no longer saw this place. She jerked abruptly
and began to tremble like a small creature dying. He knew this experience, but could not change the smallest part of
it. No ancestral presences would remain in her consciousness, but she would carry with her forever afterward the
clear sights and sounds and smells. The seeking machines would be there, the smell of blood and entrails, the
cowering humans in their burrows aware only that they could not escape . . . while all the time the mechanical
movement approached, nearer and nearer and nearer . . . louder . . . louder!
Everywhere she searched, it would be the same. No escape anywhere.

So the threat of killer robots is definitely something Frank conceived of and not just an invention of his son and a hacky Star Wars author. They did invent, however, the part where those seeker machines were actually a pair of Saturday morning cartoon villains in the vein of Megatron and Starscream or Cobra Commander and Destro.

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Towards the end of GeOD, when Sionna is in the desert with Leto II, there's a whole scene of her seeing the potential future that was avoided by The Golden Path - and I could never quite make head or tails of what that implies.

I think it explicitly mentions Ixian prescience hunter killers, but that's not at all brought up in Chapterhouse Dune, whereas Ixians did finally manage to develop something that could replace navigators.

Meanwhile, the fix for this is simply that humanity will scatter but also somehow the prescience-avoiding gene of Sionna will be shared among all of humanity?
I know Frank Herbert didn't have a great grasp on gender and sexuality, but he had at least two children with his wife - so surely it couldn't have been that dire?

The vision doesn't explicitly mention Ixian hunter killers, but they are explicitly mentioned elsewhere in the novel. Remember that Leto II is a 3500-year-old nearly immortal worm god who can ancestrally recall the entirety of lived human experience up to the point of his conception. Dude thinks and plans on a truly grand scale. So my understanding is that eventually through the Scattering and Siona's gene there will be nothing that can threaten the existence of the entire human species. Not all humanity will have Siona's gene, but some will have it and that means prescience and seeker robots will never be a threat to all humanity.

Martman posted:

Sadly he didn't avert the worst ending of all, aka the series never ending

I've come around to seeing the non-ending of Chapter House as the perfect ending to the series. By the time the plot of Heretics gets going, the Scattering has gone on for thousands of years, and there is no record of where all people went and what they did when they got there. That's why nobody knows poo poo about the Honored Matres and their Futars until they show up.

The last two novels focus on the descendants of the people who didn't scatter. They're about the Bene Gesserit who've maintained a sort of status quo over the old core of Leto II's empire for thousands of years after his death. They impose and maintain a religion where he is still god. They go about their old breeding programs. They are people who do not change their ways. They are the most sedentary motherfuckers in human history. They took dogs, who are for walking, and made them into chairs, which are for sitting.

Then the Honored Matres show up, start punching their faces in, and force them to finally scatter and adapt. It doesn't really matter who the Honored Matres are fleeing. It doesn't really matter who Daniel and Marty are. There will always be threats to humanity. There will always be weird inexplicable poo poo. We're just seeing one little snapshot of a portion of humanity finally come to grips with this poo poo and take the plunge into the unknown that ensures our survival from it.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I feel the comedy option is all along Frank was doing a JJ Abrams and had no goddamn idea.
I have no idea what you're talking about. He left detailed notes for dozens of sequels and prequels, which his very talented son faithfully executed with some advice from science fiction luminary Kevin J. Anderson.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
There's a rumor of a Lego Ornithopter set coming in the fall.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Legoleak/comments/15c5gv2/dune_10327_is_an_ornithopter_from_dune_featuring/

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
As someone who's just succumbed to the Horizon: Forbidden West Tallhead set, I'm day one purchasing that ornithopter.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Carpet posted:

As someone who's just succumbed to the Horizon: Forbidden West Tallhead set, I'm day one purchasing that ornithopter.

Join us.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
i can't get into legos, i'd go bankrupt.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I have spent more money than I want to admit on the new Lego botanical collection.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Boris Galerkin posted:

I have spent more money than I want to admit on the new Lego botanical collection.

i still might get the succulents one.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

uber_stoat posted:

i still might get the succulents one.

Hell yeah

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I got a question regarding the David Lynch Dune. At the beginning there's a worm man thing. I don't recall that being in the book. I'm now reading God Emperor of Dune and the thing kinda matches the description of Leto II*. What was up with that?

*Spoiling because I don't know what the spoiler etiquette regarding the books and what hasn't occurred in the movies yet for this thread.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Detective No. 27 posted:

I got a question regarding the David Lynch Dune. At the beginning there's a worm man thing. I don't recall that being in the book. I'm now reading God Emperor of Dune and the thing kinda matches the description of Leto II*. What was up with that?

*Spoiling because I don't know what the spoiler etiquette regarding the books and what hasn't occurred in the movies yet for this thread.

Do you mean the navigator?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Xiahou Dun posted:

Do you mean the navigator?

After looking it up, it turns out I was. I ought to rewatch that movie. I'm gonna rewatch DUNC Pt 1 with a friend once he finishes the book, or at least once he gets past the knife fight were it ends.

It took me like nearly a couple years to finish Children of Dune, reading off and on. I finished it last week and started God Emperor. I'm already 60% through, it's so much better. The voice I hear in my head for Leto is Martin Short, it just seems to fit. Everything he says has an almost sarcastic condescending tone.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

The Navigator’s appearance in the Lynch Dune film is an invention of the film, as while navigators are mutated in the books their description up to that point was more in line with some kind of anime merman, rather than the giant horrifying fish fetus of the 80s movie. I have heard rumors though that Herbert apparently loving loved that interpretation.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

I'm pretty sure no one milked a cat in the book either.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Xiahou Dun posted:

Laza tigers more like lactose tigers amirite?

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Xiahou Dun posted:

I got nipples Paul, can you milk me?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Nightmare Cinema posted:

I got nipples Paul, can you milk me?

LOL Thufir totally said this to the Baron after the cat was introduced. I mean it's not shown or implied onnscreen but this definitely happened lol

Hemp Knight
Sep 26, 2004

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

The Navigator’s appearance in the Lynch Dune film is an invention of the film, as while navigators are mutated in the books their description up to that point was more in line with some kind of anime merman, rather than the giant horrifying fish fetus of the 80s movie. I have heard rumors though that Herbert apparently loving loved that interpretation.

Actually, the Navigators in Dune aren’t described as being mutated apart from having entirely blue eyes. Paul speculates early on that they might be mutated, but the Navigators at the end appear largely normal. IIRC, it’s only in the later books that they’re heavily mutated, probably due to Herbert adopting the film depiction.

And the BH/KJA books (sorry) further expand on this by depicting a character undergoing Navigator training where he undergoes several mutation stages from exposure to spice gas before ending up as the mutant fish, which is described as a level 3 mutation, and presumably corresponds to the Navigator being referred to as 3rd Stage in Dune 84.

Hemp Knight
Sep 26, 2004
Plus, am I right in thinking that there weren’t any Navigators in Dune Part 1? If so, I wonder what they’ll look like in Part 2 if they show them.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Hemp Knight posted:

Plus, am I right in thinking that there weren’t any Navigators in Dune Part 1? If so, I wonder what they’ll look like in Part 2 if they show them.

It’s been theorized that the cleric looking people during the handover scene, with their helmets full of gaseous melange, are the navigators.

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

I feel like that's gotta be more than a theory, like as the herald is calling out who's in attendance, the camera is panning such that they're appearing as their title is spoken.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Hemp Knight posted:

Actually, the Navigators in Dune aren’t described as being mutated apart from having entirely blue eyes. Paul speculates early on that they might be mutated, but the Navigators at the end appear largely normal. IIRC, it’s only in the later books that they’re heavily mutated, probably due to Herbert adopting the film depiction.

And the BH/KJA books (sorry) further expand on this by depicting a character undergoing Navigator training where he undergoes several mutation stages from exposure to spice gas before ending up as the mutant fish, which is described as a level 3 mutation, and presumably corresponds to the Navigator being referred to as 3rd Stage in Dune 84.

Edric the mutant fishman first appears in 1969's Dune Messiah.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Jewmanji posted:

It’s been theorized that the cleric looking people during the handover scene, with their helmets full of gaseous melange, are the navigators.

Thufir says the trip cost xy space dollars because the guild sent three navigators and there are more than three of those Pope-looking guys.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

They’re referred to as ‘representatives of the spacing guild’ so who knows.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
The thing I always see people forget or get confused about with the Navigators and The Guild is that, yes, The Navigators are part of the The Guild, but The Guild is actually a huge organization that contains far more than just the Navigators. Every dude involved with maintaining and running the ships, analyzing satellite streams, filling out docking paperwork, guiding ships into the Highliners, etc. are all part of The Guild, and most of them never see any Spice. The Navigators are a unique thing, and likely never are seen by the public because they are rare and their very creation and maintenance is expensive as gently caress.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
And I imagine becoming a Navigator is not taken lightly by anyone involved. They do at least seem to be volunteers who are happy with the results, probably because you'd really want them to be.

I feel like their containment tanks and controlled spice has environments are a bit of a mirror to sietches and stillsuits.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

Grendels Dad posted:

Thufir says the trip cost xy space dollars because the guild sent three navigators and there are more than three of those Pope-looking guys.

trainees

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

single-mode fiber posted:

I feel like that's gotta be more than a theory, like as the herald is calling out who's in attendance, the camera is panning such that they're appearing as their title is spoken.

If that's true then why didn't he introduce daft punk properly

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
long live the farters.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

kalel posted:

If that's true then why didn't he introduce daft punk properly

If I recall correctly Daft Punk were the members of parliament or something

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

breadshaped posted:

If I recall correctly Daft Punk were the members of parliament or something

It's pretty amusing to think about how all the spice helmets are like if the aristocrats wore their Bong helmets to the handover.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Is it done?

*soft bubbling in the background*

It is done!

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Looking back at the original Dune

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezC4Lcw_e7Y

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Spotted on Mastodon

Builder is credited as Angus MacLane

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
:sigh:

https://variety.com/2023/film/news/dune-2-delayed-2024-strikes-1235703991/amp/

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
gently caress

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Strikes seem to be working, hopefully the producers org comes back to the table soon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I'm not surprised, and nor am I that unhappy about it.

Denmark managed to make McDonalds recognize a union back in the 80s and as a result the folks working there get a salary of more than $20/hour, 6 weeks vacation each year, and sick pay just like everyone else - and this win translated into much bigger support for unions, because it proved that they work, and they're the only way we have a chance against the greediest of our entire civilization.

So if it means not seeing a movie for a bit, in order to give unions a realistic chance to become more powerful in Usania, I say it's worth it.