Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Stover can can write a god drat fuckin action scene. His action is almost TOO good for Star Wars. The bit at the beginning of Shadows of Mindor where Luke's flagship gets suicide bombed is so raw, the jungle fights in Shatterpoint are right out of Apocalypse Now, it's almost too good for the gee whiz clone wars droid army stuff. On screen Star Wars action is always fun, Stover wants it to hit a little harder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Arc Hammer posted:

Best part is that you can thank the Tuskens for telling you the story of their people by having HK-47 translate your apology for killing their tribesmen and stealing their clothes. HK thinks this is a wonderful idea which tells you something.

"Warming blasters: combat is inevitable".

Cross-Section posted:

She does also make a reappearance (probably her most substantial one too) later on when you kill Tenebrae for realzies no-take-backs but yeah, Drew Karpyshyn should be in the Hague

Oh yeah, didn't remember that for some reason.

General Battuta posted:

Stover can can write a god drat fuckin action scene. His action is almost TOO good for Star Wars. The bit at the beginning of Shadows of Mindor where Luke's flagship gets suicide bombed is so raw, the jungle fights in Shatterpoint are right out of Apocalypse Now, it's almost too good for the gee whiz clone wars droid army stuff. On screen Star Wars action is always fun, Stover wants it to hit a little harder.

Not just the action, the Revenge of the Sith internal Anakin dialogue was brutal. "This is how it feels to be Anakin Skywalker. Forever..."

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I love the prologue describing the battle of Coruscant so much. Two is enough, because the adults are wrong, and the younglings are right. Though the age of heroes is ending, it has saved its best for last.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Dawgstar posted:

They really kinda did the Exile dirty in SWTOR.

they kinda did revan dirty too. I don't like "brainwashed into evil" explanaition that SWTOR gives. i loved that reavan was just a jedi who tried to do good and fought assholes and monsters while the republic poo poo itself and the jedi did nothing. and gee wow making hard hosed up choices hosed him and his men up super duper badly. i dont even mind him learned about viciate and confronting him and it going to piss. but my view would he comes back and doubles down super hard on the "hard men doing hard things" bullshit and tries to create his own sith empire to fight viciate because the republic is too weak to fight or some poo poo

StashAugustine posted:

I love the prologue describing the battle of Coruscant so much. Two is enough, because the adults are wrong, and the younglings are right. Though the age of heroes is ending, it has saved its best for last.

yeah i genuinly love the ROTS novel. i really love the scenes with dooku and i love the whole ending of anakin realizing that he hosed up and is hosed forever and their was no shadow or dragon or tempter, he loving killed a ton of people because he was a paranoid idiot who broke bad and didnt ask for help. like yeah the jedi hosed him over but its like jesus dude.

quote:

“And you rage and scream and reach through the Force to crush the shadow who has destroyed you, but you are so far less now than what you were, you are more than half machine, you are like a painter gone blind, a composer gone deaf, you can remember where the power was but the power you can touch is only a memory, and so with all your world-destroying fury it is only droids around you that implode, and equipment, and the table on which you were strapped shatters, and in the end, you cannot touch the shadow. In the end you don't even want to. In the end, you do not even want to. In the end, the shadow is all you have left. Because the shadow understands you, the shadow forgives you, the shadow gathers you unto itself—And within your furnace heart, you burn in your own flame.”

always thought this was a great summery of the dark side.

Rochallor posted:

There's a podcast called It's All Stover going over the works of Matthew Stover (unsurprisingly), and since I enjoyed their episodes on Shatterpoint and the ROTS novelization I decided to pick up Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor, since I had never read it. Quite good so far, but there's two things that immediately jumped out at me: 1) it's almost a sequel to Shatterpoint, which I was not expecting, and 2) the following passage, concerning the bad guy studying Luke's mannerisms in preparation for taking over his body:

Did... did Stover predict digital Mark Hamill ten years in the past?

i have issues with last, but i genuinly like doomer crack ping luke and i like him coming to terms with stuff and his ending. I like that he had visions and in a moment of panic tried to head something off and then just made it worse. i loving hate rise so much for loving gutting anything interesting that movie tried to do.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jul 22, 2023

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

quote:

"This is how it feels to be Anakin Skywalker. Forever..."

quote:

“And you rage and scream and reach through the Force to crush the shadow who has destroyed you, but you are so far less now than what you were, you are more than half machine, you are like a painter gone blind, a composer gone deaf, you can remember where the power was but the power you can touch is only a memory, and so with all your world-destroying fury it is only droids around you that implode, and equipment, and the table on which you were strapped shatters, and in the end, you cannot touch the shadow. In the end you don't even want to. In the end, you do not even want to. In the end, the shadow is all you have left. Because the shadow understands you, the shadow forgives you, the shadow gathers you unto itself—And within your furnace heart, you burn in your own flame.”

It's a testament to how god drat good that book is that I think that ending monologue, which is the bit of it I see quoted most often, is one of the weaker bits. At the very least, it needs the context of the previous "This is how it feels to be Anakin Skywalker" passages for it to really hit.

The whole middle section of the book feels like a waking nightmare, and to be fair, it's the strongest section of the movie as well. Anakin is written as completely sleep-deprived, blurry vision, having constant nightmares. He's a complete wreck, and the only person he can be open about it with is, of course, Palpatine. The Jedi just give him platitudes, honestly Padme's not much better on that front, but Palpatine (pretends to) listen to him, to accept him, to love him. And so he makes a rash decision and then another and another and another.

It was really hard for me not to just quote like, the entire chapter, but this bit from the opening Dooku fight I think is superb.

quote:

But Palpatine’s words rage is your weapon have given Anakin permission to unseal the shielding around his furnace heart, and all his fears and all his doubts shrivel in its flame.

When Count Dooku flies at him, blade flashing, Watto’s fist cracks out from Anakin’s childhood to knock the Sith Lord tumbling back.

When with all the power that the dark side can draw from throughout the universe, Dooku hurls a jagged fragment of the durasteel table, Shmi Skywalker’s gentle murmur I knew you would come for me, Anakin smashes it aside.

His head has been filled with the smoke from his smothered heart for far too long; it has been the thunder that darkens his mind. On Aargonar, on Jabiim, in the Tusken camp on Tatooine, that smoke had clouded his mind, had blinded him and left him flailing in the dark, a mindless machine of slaughter; but here, now, within this ship, this microscopic cell of life in the infinite sterile desert of space, his firewalls have opened so that the terror and the rage are out there, in the fight instead of in his head, and Anakin’s mind is clear as a crystal bell.

In that pristine clarity, there is only one thing he must do.

Decide.

So he does.

He decides to win.

He decides that Dooku should lose the same hand he took. Decision is reality, here: his blade moves simultaneously with his will and blue fire vaporizes black Corellian nanosilk and disintegrates flesh and shears bone, and away falls a Sith Lord’s lightsaber hand, trailing smoke that tastes of charred meat and burned hair. The hand falls with a bar of scarlet blaze still extending from its spastic death grip, and Anakin’s heart sings for the fall of that red blade.

He reaches out and the Force catches it for him.

And then Anakin takes Dooku’s other hand as well.

Dooku crumples to his knees, face blank, mouth slack, and his weapon whirs through the air to the victor’s hand, and Anakin finds his vision of the future happening before his eyes: two blades at Count Dooku’s throat.

But here, now, the truth belies the dream. Both lightsabers are in his hands, and the one in his hand of flesh flares with the synthetic bloodshine of a Sith blade.

Dooku, cringing, shrinking with dread, still finds some hope in his heart that he is wrong, that Palpatine has not betrayed him, that this has all been proceeding according to plan—

Until he hears “Good, Anakin! Good! I knew you could do it!” and registers this is Palpatine’s voice and feels within the darkest depths of all he is the approach of the words that are to come next.

“Kill him,” Palpatine says. “Kill him now.”

In Skywalker’s eyes he sees only flames.

“Chancellor, please!” he gasps, desperate and helpless, his aristocratic demeanor invisible, his courage only a bitter memory. He is reduced to begging for his life, as so many of his victims have. “Please, you promised me immunity! We had a deal! Help me!”

And his begging gains him a share of mercy equal to that which he has dispensed.

“A deal only if you released me,” Palpatine replies, cold as intergalactic space. “Not if you used me as bait to kill my friends.”

And he knows, then, that all has indeed been going according to plan. Sidious’s plan, not his own. This had been a Jedi trap indeed, but Jedi were not the quarry.

They were the bait.

“Anakin,” Palpatine says quietly. “Finish him.”

Years of Jedi training make Anakin hesitate; he looks down upon Dooku and sees not a Lord of the Sith but a beaten, broken, cringing old man.

“I shouldn’t—”

But when Palpatine barks, “Do it! Now!” Anakin realizes that this isn’t actually an order. That it is, in fact, nothing more than what he’s been waiting for his whole life.

Permission.

Which pairs really well with the later passage of a scene that I assume was written but got cut (I read in an interview that Stover said he stuck incredibly close to the script he was given, it's just that that draft would have been like a 3 hour movie) just before Palpatine reveals himself. Hell, let's post it:

quote:

He spread his hands as though offering a hug. “Share with me the truth. Your absolute truth. Let yourself out, Anakin.”

“I—” Anakin shook his head. How many times had he dreamed of not having to pretend to be the perfect Jedi? But what else could he be? “I wouldn’t even know how to begin.”

“It’s quite simple, in the end: tell me what you want.”

Anakin squinted up at him. “I don’t understand.”

“Of course you don’t.” The last of the sunset haloed his ice-white hair and threw his face into shadow. “You’ve been trained to never think about that. The Jedi never ask what you want. They simply tell you what you’re supposed to want. They never give you a choice at all. That’s why they take their students—their victims—at an age so young that choice is meaningless. By the time a Padawan is old enough to choose, he has been so indoctrinated—so brainwashed—that he is incapable of even considering the question. But you’re different, Anakin. You had a real life, outside the Jedi Temple. You can break through the fog of lies the Jedi have pumped into your brain. I ask you again: what do you want?”

“I still don’t understand.”

“I am offering you … anything,” Palpatine said. “Ask, and it is yours. A glass of water? It’s yours. A bag full of Corusca gems? Yours. Look out the window behind me, Anakin. Pick something, and it’s yours.”

“Is this some kind of joke?”

“The time for jokes is past, Anakin. I have never been more serious.” Within the shadow that cloaked Palpatine’s face, Anakin could only just see the twin gleams of the Chancellor’s eyes. “Pick something. Anything.”

“All right …” Shrugging, frowning, still not understanding, Anakin looked out the window, looking for the most ridiculously expensive thing he could spot. “How about one of those new SoroSuub custom speeders—”

“Done.”

“Are you serious? You know how much one of those costs? You could practically outfit a battle cruiser—”

“Would you prefer a battle cruiser?”

Anakin went still. A cold void opened in his chest. In a small, cautious voice, he said, “How about the Senatorial Apartments?”

“A private apartment?”

Anakin shook his head, staring up at the twin gleams in the darkness on Palpatine’s face. “The whole building.” Palpatine did not so much as blink. “Done.”

“It’s privately owned—”

“Not anymore.”

“You can’t just—”

“Yes, I can. It’s yours. Is there anything else? Name it.”

Anakin gazed blankly out into the gathering darkness. Stars began to shimmer through the haze of twilight. A constellation he recognized hung above the spires of the Jedi Temple.

“All right,” Anakin said softly. “Corellia. I’ll take Corellia.”

“The planet, or the whole system?”

Anakin stared.

“Anakin?”

“I just—” He shook his head blankly. “I can’t figure out if you’re kidding, or completely insane.”

“I am neither, Anakin. I am trying to impress upon you a fundamental truth of our relationship. A fundamental truth of yourself.”

“What if I really wanted the Corellian system? The whole Five Brothers—all of it?”

“Then it would be yours. You can have the whole sector, if you like.” The twin gleams within the shadow sharpened. “Do you understand, now? I will give you anything you want.”

The concept left him dizzy. “What if I wanted—what if I went along with Padmé and her friends? What if I want the war to end?”

“Would tomorrow be too soon?”

“How—” Anakin couldn’t seem to get his breath. “How can you do that?”

“Right now, we are only discussing what. How is a different issue; we’ll come to that presently.”

Anakin sank deeper into the chair while he let everything sink deeper into his brain. If only his head would stop spinning—why did Palpatine have to start all this now?

This would all be easier to comprehend if the nightmares of Padmé didn’t keep screaming inside his head. “And in exchange?” he asked, finally. “What do I have to do?”

“You have to do what you want.”

“What I want?”

“Yes, Anakin. Yes. Exactly that. Only that. Do the one thing that the Jedi fear most: make up your own mind. Follow your own conscience. Do what you think is right. I know that you have been longing for a life greater than that of an ordinary Jedi. Commit to that life. I know you burn for greater power than any Jedi can wield; give yourself permission to gain that power, and allow yourself license to use it. You have dreamed of leaving the Jedi Order, having a family of your own—one that is based on love, not on enforced rules of self-denial.”

“I—can’t … I can’t just … leave …”

“But you can.”

Anakin couldn’t breathe.

He couldn’t blink.

He sat frozen. Even thought was impossible.

“You can have every one of your dreams. Turn aside from the lies of the Jedi, and follow the truth of yourself. Leave them. Join me on the path of true power. Be my friend, Anakin. Be my student. My apprentice.”

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Yeah, the book absolutely sells the fact that Anakin's tired, exhausted, pushed well past his physical and emotional limits, and would in fact do whatever it takes to save the people he loves

:allears: Even the dad jokes are enjoyable

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

Vinylshadow posted:

:allears: Even the dad jokes are enjoyable

Let's not go that far.

"Palpatine promised he would leave us in peace!"
"He said he would leave you in pieces."

I vaguely remember lines like that from reading the novel ages ago, and those jokes stuck out like a sore thumb. They did feel pretty Lucas though.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
With or without the one-liners, that scene never really worked for me. It's the second of three killings Anakin does, the first of which involves him slaughtering a bunch of people he knows, and the third of which is a single, extremely personal murder. And in the middle of these you have him killing a dozen guys who all frankly kind of have it coming.

My dream version of Episode IX hinges on the idea that when Benicio del Toro is going on about how there's a bunch of businesses profiting off all these star wars, the big reveal is the Trade Federation is still one of them, still doing the same exact thing for half a century because you need to buy weapons from somebody. The audience is surprised, but not the characters, because they're all just kind of aware that's how this whole thing works. It would be a nice tie-in to the prequel trilogy, and the audience whoops with joy when the capitalist akk dogs are finally dealt with once and for all and the galaxy enacts full communism.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/DelilahSDawson/status/1681479317308440576

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Dave Syndrome posted:

I vaguely remember lines like that from reading the novel ages ago, and those jokes stuck out like a sore thumb. They did feel pretty Lucas though.

According to Stover, Lucas line-edited the novel manuscript, so they conceivably could have come from him.

Finally, the throngs of the Kenobi show fans are being appeased!

I kid.... Dawson is a decent author and probably on the higher end of the Disney era authors but I am slightly skeptical that this book is going to be on the level of anything Stover.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Chairman Capone posted:

According to Stover, Lucas line-edited the novel manuscript, so they conceivably could have come from him.

Finally, the throngs of the Kenobi show fans are being appeased!

I kid.... Dawson is a decent author and probably on the higher end of the Disney era authors but I am slightly skeptical that this book is going to be on the level of anything Stover.

i liked kenobi or at least the vader and kenobi stuff. Reva was a cool idea that was kinda poorly developed, i do hope they do more with her. i like her being a survivor and then joining the nazis as way to kill vader, i like that she is also stupidly cocky and smart enough to survive but dumb enough to not realize that vader knows and also that she is completly disposible.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Jul 28, 2023

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

The Kenobi vs. Vader stuff from the show was... I'll try and put it this way, I think it was a fundamentally bad idea from the start and the basic storyline in general was deeply flawed, but if you just accept that as something that happened, then the Vader vs. Kenobi scenes were the best realization of that bad idea possible. I actually thought their final fight was pretty well done and had good acting from MacGregor.

But it is funny that Book of Boba Fett completely stole what should have been the ideal Kenobi plot.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I wouldn't even say it's the best of a bad idea. Kenobi has some of the worst cinematography and direction I've seen in anything star wars related. Technical prowess can soften the blow of bad writing but Kenobi doesn't even have that.

People might poo poo on Lucas's shot-reverse-shot boring camera work but at least he can hold a camera steady and properly light a scene. Kenobi just looks awful from a visual standpoint.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Arc Hammer posted:

People might poo poo on Lucas's shot-reverse-shot boring camera work but at least he can hold a camera steady and properly light a scene. Kenobi just looks awful from a visual standpoint.

Really it's the exact same problem as Lucas in the PT, in that it's a spectacularly bad implementation of a recent technology. Like, the Volume doesn't look perfect in the Mandalorian but when used properly it's pretty effective and a clear improvement on greenscreen across the board. If all you had seen of it was Kenobi, you'd think it was garbage, much like you'd think CGI was awful if you'd only watched AotC and not, say, LotR.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

It would have been so much easier to just adapt the JJM novel.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Red blade rules so hard. One of the best SW novels lately. Some heavy CWs though, like the book opens with a foreword from the author talking about how there's a depiction of self harm in the book

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Chairman Capone posted:

The Kenobi vs. Vader stuff from the show was... I'll try and put it this way, I think it was a fundamentally bad idea from the start and the basic storyline in general was deeply flawed, but if you just accept that as something that happened, then the Vader vs. Kenobi scenes were the best realization of that bad idea possible. I actually thought their final fight was pretty well done and had good acting from MacGregor.

But it is funny that Book of Boba Fett completely stole what should have been the ideal Kenobi plot.

agreed. i think i think the did the best they could with a very dumb idea. personally i think the vader poo poo saves alot of it because i like seeing multiple sides of vader and the last fight/talk was one of my favorite star wars moments. i like vader trying to in a weird way "comfort" obiwan.

jivjov posted:

Red blade rules so hard. One of the best SW novels lately. Some heavy CWs though, like the book opens with a foreword from the author talking about how there's a depiction of self harm in the book

interesting. might have to try it someday.

chaosrefined
Dec 27, 2012

Dapper_Swindler posted:

agreed. i think i think the did the best they could with a very dumb idea. personally i think the vader poo poo saves alot of it because i like seeing multiple sides of vader and the last fight/talk was one of my favorite star wars moments. i like vader trying to in a weird way "comfort" obiwan.

The Vader/Kenobi dialogue post fight is what saved the series for me, I just loved the little bit of Anakin coming through to assuage Obi-Wan's feelings before Vader took over again. It's just a shame the rest of the series was so hit and miss, especially with some of the direction. Also, the use of The Volume was extremely obvious, especially in the flashback fight scene.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

chaosrefined posted:

The Vader/Kenobi dialogue post fight is what saved the series for me, I just loved the little bit of Anakin coming through to assuage Obi-Wan's feelings before Vader took over again. It's just a shame the rest of the series was so hit and miss, especially with some of the direction. Also, the use of The Volume was extremely obvious, especially in the flashback fight scene.

yeah. the issue is that they clearly had a good idea for the vader and anakin stuff and probably reva to a degree but then they didnt know how to make it work. i dont hate kid leia and i like obi wan playing the befuddled dude trying to lay low. I get why people dont like reva and i dont think she is well done until near the end. i like her "fight" with vader. yeah vader kinda saves that series. to me its Andor>mando>>>>obi wan>>>>>>>fett and the tuskans meet the mod squad.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Should've swapped Obi-Wan and Fett's plots

Obi-Wan works with Tuskens and the townsfolk to drive spice out of Mos Espa, and Kenobi's actions there force him to move out closer to Mos Eisley and Luke, much to Owen's chagrin
Fett works with Vader and the Inquisitors to hunt down Jedi while Bail and Leia are trying to help the Path

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Are you really suggesting that the murderous bounty hunter who owns a spaceship named Slave I might do something so untoward as hunt bounties?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Rochallor posted:

Are you really suggesting that the murderous bounty hunter who owns a spaceship named Slave I might do something so untoward as hunt bounties?

Somebody was really opposed to Fett being an actual crime lord. Lucas was never a fan of that sort of thing. He didn't even like smugglers being referred to as criminals according to the West End Games folks.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Dawgstar posted:

Somebody was really opposed to Fett being an actual crime lord. Lucas was never a fan of that sort of thing. He didn't even like smugglers being referred to as criminals according to the West End Games folks.

He'd changed his mind at some point before KJA was writing bad trilogies:

https://www.tumblr.com/quendergeer/720270768101048320/pagannerd52-prokopetz-alexanderrm

quote:

So The Husband and I were at Sci-fi Weekender (a British based annual Sci-fi and Fantasy convention) last year, and one of the guests that year was Kevin J Anderson, one of the very notable Star Wars Expanded Universe writers. During one of the events, a quiet little interview in a cafe on the event site, he fielded a question from an audience member about what it was like to write for a franchise like Star Wars which often had lots of cooks working on one broth, and he had the following to say (wording recounted as best as I can from memory):

“So in one of my stories, Han Solo, he, he travels to this asteroid planet called Kessel, which is where a lot of Spice comes from, these Spice Mines of Kessel, and I got to really describe the effects of this Spice, this terrible drug and the addiction and all this and before publication I get this call, I get this call from the lawyers, and they say “Kevin, you say in this story that Spice is a drug, you can’t say that, you can’t say that Spice is a drug”, and I say “What? What do you mean it’s not a drug, of course it’s a drug”, and they say “Han Solo used to smuggle Spice, and you cannot, let us be clear, you cannot imply that the Hero of Star Wars used to be a drug dealer”.

And I just stood there, at a loss for words, and I eventually said “So what is it then?” and they said to me, very sternly, “It’s a food-additive”. Now, now obviously this is ridiculous, and I won’t back down, and they won’t back down, and none of us will back down, and the book is very close to getting pulled, which I don’t want because I worked hard on it and they don’t want because they already paid me the advance, and eventually, with this great air of superiority they say “OK Kevin, we’ll take this to the top. WE’LL TAKE THIS TO GEORGE”.

And they go to all this trouble, this was a long while ago when such things were not so easy to arrange, they go to all this trouble to set up a conference call with all of them and me and with George Lucas and they say “George, Kevin is trying to say in his new book that Spice is a drug, it’s a food additive, tell him it’s not a drug, George”. And there’s this long silence on the other end of the line and eventually George says “It is a drug, though. It’s, it’s a drug, it’s a food-additive? What? Of course it a drug, it’s space heroin, what else would it be? What?”

And that was then end of that.“

(line breaks added by me for readibility)

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Dapper_Swindler posted:

the issue is that they clearly had a good idea for the vader and anakin stuff and probably reva to a degree but then they didnt know how to make it work.

This seems to be the result of the story starting out as a movie, then becoming a series, with several different creative teams attached at different times. There was:
  • A movie, written by Hossein Amini with Stephen Daldri attached to direct. This story supposedly centered around Obi-Wan working with Owen to try and ease tensions between moisture farmers and the local Tuskens.
  • A new version of a movie, this time written by Stuart Beattie. This version introduced the stuff about Obi-Wan leaving Tatooine to protect Leia.
  • The first version of the series, which introduced the stuff with Reva (whose role may have originally been written for Maul in Beattie's movie script)
  • The second version of the series, which added all the stuff with Vader.

Deborah Chow was brought on when the project became a series, so if the Vader and Reva stuff seems more fleshed out, it's because those were her ideas. All the other bits would just be things she inherited from earlier versions of the story, but maybe wasn't as interested in.

Dawgstar posted:

Somebody was really opposed to Fett being an actual crime lord.

Jon Favreau, I'm guessing. In some of the behind the scenes stuff for The Mandalorian, he talks about how Boba Fett was his favorite character and he pitched a generic Mando show to Kathleen Kennedy because thought they would never let him make a show about Fett himself. He's put the character up on a pedestal so won't let him actually get dirty.

It's not like it couldn't have worked, though. Having a throughline of Fett being rescued by the Tuskens, becoming more community minded as he spends time with them, and then avenging them by taking out the Pykes is a good idea for how they wanted Fett to evolve - they just fumbled the execution a bit. Instead of running Jabba's organization into the ground accidentally, they could have made it part of the plan all along. Maybe he would have decided that the Pykes were only a symptom of a larger problem, and orchestrated a gang war that would see the Pykes, the Hutts, the various minor gangs, and even the corrupt local government eliminated. If his plan were explicitly to torch the entire Tatooine underworld and then leave it all behind, then his decision to stay at the end would actually have some meaning because rather than strictly seeking to avenge the Tuskens, he could actually grow and change over the present-day portion of the show rather than it all happening in flashbacks.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Yeah like Boba Fett does Yojimbo sounds like a good idea but man they did not execute well

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Robot Style posted:

This seems to be the result of the story starting out as a movie, then becoming a series, with several different creative teams attached at different times. There was:
  • A movie, written by Hossein Amini with Stephen Daldri attached to direct. This story supposedly centered around Obi-Wan working with Owen to try and ease tensions between moisture farmers and the local Tuskens.
  • A new version of a movie, this time written by Stuart Beattie. This version introduced the stuff about Obi-Wan leaving Tatooine to protect Leia.
  • The first version of the series, which introduced the stuff with Reva (whose role may have originally been written for Maul in Beattie's movie script)
  • The second version of the series, which added all the stuff with Vader.

Deborah Chow was brought on when the project became a series, so if the Vader and Reva stuff seems more fleshed out, it's because those were her ideas. All the other bits would just be things she inherited from earlier versions of the story, but maybe wasn't as interested in.

Jon Favreau, I'm guessing. In some of the behind the scenes stuff for The Mandalorian, he talks about how Boba Fett was his favorite character and he pitched a generic Mando show to Kathleen Kennedy because thought they would never let him make a show about Fett himself. He's put the character up on a pedestal so won't let him actually get dirty.

It's not like it couldn't have worked, though. Having a throughline of Fett being rescued by the Tuskens, becoming more community minded as he spends time with them, and then avenging them by taking out the Pykes is a good idea for how they wanted Fett to evolve - they just fumbled the execution a bit. Instead of running Jabba's organization into the ground accidentally, they could have made it part of the plan all along. Maybe he would have decided that the Pykes were only a symptom of a larger problem, and orchestrated a gang war that would see the Pykes, the Hutts, the various minor gangs, and even the corrupt local government eliminated. If his plan were explicitly to torch the entire Tatooine underworld and then leave it all behind, then his decision to stay at the end would actually have some meaning because rather than strictly seeking to avenge the Tuskens, he could actually grow and change over the present-day portion of the show rather than it all happening in flashbacks.

yeah. i genuinly like the idea of fett living with tuskans and saying "yeah gently caress this bounty poo poo, i almost go digested and living with tuskans changed my outlook, ill take over jabbas outfit and do it better be the Big boss of bounty hunter"

My biggest issue is anytime you think their will be conflict or tension. its undone, "oh poo poo the hutts want jabbas poo poo" or etc. but lol nope.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Can’t believe Rodriguez of all people didn’t keep Danny Trejo around for more than one episode.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Chairman Capone posted:

Can’t believe Rodriguez of all people didn’t keep Danny Trejo around for more than one episode.

yeah like the issue is they clearly wrote themselves into a corner so they just made it mando season 2.5

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Yeah, it's quite possible, even probable, that the stuff people ran into was LucasFilms purity police and not George himself. Like over on RPG.net a former WEG editor/writer talked about how West End Games ran into trouble about stuff like they wanted to call an early book Smuggler's Blues,* were sternly told no and Lucasfilms fought against the book because you can't make a book about crime - by which I mean it was a book of adventures for smuggling runs - despite there being, you know, smugglers since Star Wars started. This probably didn't take it all the way to George, but she said he did personally veto things, usually anything to do with what would have stuff around the Clone Wars (basically anything that would have contradicted the prequels). They'd get a big ol' 'NO - GL' on their notes some times.

Also no sex. The RPG wasn't even allowed to hint at the possibility.

*WEG went with The Politics of Contraband so Glenn Frey was still honored.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Lemniscate Blue posted:

He'd changed his mind at some point before KJA was writing bad trilogies:

https://www.tumblr.com/quendergeer/720270768101048320/pagannerd52-prokopetz-alexanderrm

Lmao that this exact strain of puritanical misunderstanding of the source material resurfaces in Rise of Skywalker, where noted outlaws Rey and Finn are simply appalled that Poe may not have walked the straight and narrow in his youth

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

ninjahedgehog posted:

Lmao that this exact strain of puritanical misunderstanding of the source material resurfaces in Rise of Skywalker, where noted outlaws Rey and Finn are simply appalled that Poe may not have walked the straight and narrow in his youth

what sucks is how little character any of them have in that movie gently caress i hate rise.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

The Old Republic has a weird split where the smuggler storyline is on the side of the Republic while the bounty hunter storyline is on the side of the Sith, which always struck me as somewhat backwards. I partially blame Zahn for setting the precedent for this, but smugglers in Star Wars don't really do as much smuggling as you'd think, they're more like independent couriers or freelance space truckers.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Smuggler™️ the Star Wars noun and smuggler the real world noun do definitely have divergent meanings. And I'd argue "bounty hunter" is up there too

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

jivjov posted:

Smuggler™️ the Star Wars noun and smuggler the real world noun do definitely have divergent meanings. And I'd argue "bounty hunter" is up there too

Are you saying Boba Fett and Dog the Bounty Hunter aren't the same?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Also like a lot of things in SWTOR it's just lazily copying stuff that happened in the movies and not thinking through the context

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

ninjahedgehog posted:

Also cool and good to make the Latino character a former drug dealer.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Lord Hydronium posted:

The Old Republic has a weird split where the smuggler storyline is on the side of the Republic while the bounty hunter storyline is on the side of the Sith, which always struck me as somewhat backwards. I partially blame Zahn for setting the precedent for this, but smugglers in Star Wars don't really do as much smuggling as you'd think, they're more like independent couriers or freelance space truckers.

they carry stuff that's contraband according to the laws of the republic, but legal cargo in various independent polities like hutt space. so the republic/empire consider them smugglers even though mostly they're just space truckers

that's the best i can do at coming up with a coherent explanation anyway

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Dawgstar posted:

Also cool and good to make the Latino character a former drug dealer.

Well the space Mexican is a thief in Andor and nobody cares.

This is because Andor is well written, mind you.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Lord Hydronium posted:

I doubt the thinking was more sophisticated that "Han Solo is a good guy, so people who want to play characters like that will be playing good guys and will therefore be on the side of the Republic."

And the inverse for bounty hunters, Boba Fett worked for the Empire so PC bounty hunters will also work for the Empire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

ninjahedgehog posted:

I choose to interpret that as Rey and Finn mirroring the audience's surprise at Poe's established backstory of being a hot-shot Republic pilot who spend his early years in the Rebellion with Endor veteran parents that settled down on Yavin to raise their son, who they were very proud of for following his mother's footsteps and becoming an X-Wing pilot was just fired out the airlock for no particular reason.