Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

incredibly pitiful boi

Ach! My balls!! :qq:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

incredibly pitiful boi

Seriously order this or get it from Petco

BENCMATE Protective Inflatable Collar for Dogs and Cats - Soft Pet Recovery Collar Does Not Block Vision E-Collar (Medium, Blue) https://a.co/d/3cPccgi

It’s worth it.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Incredulous Dylan posted:

My girl goes absolutely insane whenever she is wet outside of bath time - like a completely different dog or possibly a gremlin?

This a dog thing. They lose their minds when they're wet

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

MarcusSA posted:

Seriously order this or get it from Petco

BENCMATE Protective Inflatable Collar for Dogs and Cats - Soft Pet Recovery Collar Does Not Block Vision E-Collar (Medium, Blue) https://a.co/d/3cPccgi

It’s worth it.

I got him a recovery vest and after a little sewing to shorten some of the straps he seems to tolerate it okay. He has such a long nose and tongue and is so flexible I’m not sure if one of those inflatable things would work or not. I think it’s gonna be the best while he is semi-supervised and the cone when he gets left alone

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I got him a recovery vest and after a little sewing to shorten some of the straps he seems to tolerate it okay. He has such a long nose and tongue and is so flexible I’m not sure if one of those inflatable things would work or not. I think it’s gonna be the best while he is semi-supervised and the cone when he gets left alone

I bought a foam cone for my girl because she was in misery with the plastic one, and she LOVED it. Used it as a pillow when she was laying down

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Welp he promptly peed in the recovery vest when we went outside and the inflatable collars either slip off or aren't big enough to stop him from reaching the incision so I guess he's stuck with the cone and maybe the recovery vest indoors under supervision.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
What do you lot use for tear stain removal? Frejas started teething and her eyes are leaking a lot more now. Daily vaseline isn't cutting it anymore.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Scissors

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Welp he promptly peed in the recovery vest when we went outside and the inflatable collars either slip off or aren't big enough to stop him from reaching the incision so I guess he's stuck with the cone and maybe the recovery vest indoors under supervision.

The inflatable should have loops for the regular collar

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

The inflatable should have loops for the regular collar
Yeah I used those, but he’s right in between sizes. The largest fit fine but didn’t prevent him from reaching his crotch and the extra large he could kind of slip out of. In any case he hated them (or more likely-thought it was fun) and kept trying to escape. He seems to have gotten more or less used to the plastic cone so I guess I’ll stick with that.

He’s been wild all day like nothing ever happened and he didn’t just get stitches yesterday. Worried the pain pill (just remadyl) might be a little too good. Guess it might be because he basically slept all day yesterday. So far he has run, jumped, climbed on the bed, gotten very excited, and tried to play with an unleashed dog on our walk. Basically all the things the vet told me not to let him do, but he’s snuck them by me every time.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Sounds like a well-rested puppy to me. I doubt the pain pill has anything to do with it.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Currently breaking the rules yet again by crawling up onto the couch while I was in the shower:

He hasn't gotten on the couch in a few months since it's gotten warmer in my house. He usually gets in my chair which has cooler feeling fabric, but I guess he didn't fit as well with a cone.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

he is looking for his balls, they have to be somewhere :ohdear:

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

He hasn't gotten on the couch in a few months since it's gotten warmer in my house. He usually gets in my chair which has cooler feeling fabric, but I guess he didn't fit as well with a cone.

Yeah mine seems to not like having his belly get too hot, so he never jumps on the couch by himself in the summer. He'll come up when I first sit down on the couch for the night, but in summer he curls up next to me, instead of laying across my lap.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

froglet posted:

Holly's been limping a lot, so I took her to the vet. They agree there's something wrong with her hips despite prior x-rays coming back fine, and want to do some more testing, so I've booked that in for next week. Aaaand now jerk brain is catastrophising that my dog is terribly ill and/or dying.

Mr Froglet is now fretting it's all because we got her desexed too early (at 6 months rather than a year), but I pointed out to him we had noticed her limping before we got her desexed (which is why she was x-rayed when she was spayed), so this could have happened anyway. Also, we would have been woefully unprepared for her to go on heat.

But yeah, she's 14-15 months old, which is really young to be limping like this. I hope it's nothing serious :ohdear:

Update to this: she went to the vets today, cheerfully went with the vet tech with nary a glance back, aaand... The x-rays were all clear and there is nothing obviously wrong.

Funny aside: About an hour after organising a time to pick her up, the vet called again asking if we could come pick her up sooner, because "she seems sad". I go in expecting to hear her wailing or something awful like that, only for the vet to tell me no, she was delightful, but was getting increasingly insistent that she wanted to go home. Apparently she kept sitting at attention, tail wagging whenever anyone walked past her, then dramatically sulking that they weren't letting her out yet. The staff were actually starting to feel a bit bad about it, haha.

It cracks me up that Holly has managed to get someone besides us to pack their bags and go on a guilt trip with her.

She was all wags to see us, which was great.

a strange fowl posted:

iris is terrifyingly full of beans and obviously feeling great this morning :neckbeard: i think the ordeal of the tennis ball is finally over, miraculously with no repercussions. thank you for letting me wail about it.

I am so glad she's alright!

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

single-mode fiber posted:

Yeah mine seems to not like having his belly get too hot, so he never jumps on the couch by himself in the summer. He'll come up when I first sit down on the couch for the night, but in summer he curls up next to me, instead of laying across my lap.

At least yours is nice about that. I tried to get LB to cuddle up next to me and he just looks at me like "what are you doing on my couch? :raise:"

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Whenever I try to pet Pavlov, he turns away from me and sits down. He wants to be petted, he just doesn't want to look at me while I'm doing it. :qq:

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Welp fellas I just closed the tailgate on my girl's tail so I'll be grilling her a steak tonight. She seems happy now but there was so much whining. :(

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
For a bit there, I thought that was a metaphor for ending her life or something. But no, you meant it literally. I hope her tail feels better soon!

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

For a bit there, I thought that was a metaphor for ending her life or something. But no, you meant it literally. I hope her tail feels better soon!

She's running around the house wagging it happily so I think she's fine. She drooled all over the couch while I was laying on it so I think she got her revenge

St_Ides
May 19, 2008

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Whenever I try to pet Pavlov, he turns away from me and sits down. He wants to be petted, he just doesn't want to look at me while I'm doing it. :qq:

Mine only do that when they want butt scratches.

Every dog loves butt scratches.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

St_Ides posted:

Mine only do that when they want butt scratches.

Every dog loves butt scratches.

Can confirm

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

it's tough finding a good breeder, all the ones which seem to provide a good environment for their dogs and really care about them in a serious manner also seem to be doing it to show dogs, and inter/line-breed a lot. I think I trust the show breeders a little more, the litter we're looking at would have a COI of 11.5% which is only a little over the UK average of 9.6% for english cockers. AFAICT this is not ideal but not terrible, but I'm also completely new to this. Maybe I'm overthinking it, I think our goals of getting a dog that we are confident we'll get on with (due to family members having similar ones) and not supporting bad practices are somewhat conflicting.

e: the parents are both clear for all the typical breed issues, which is an important factor as well

this is the place if it matters: http://www.clemencey.com/

distortion park fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Aug 1, 2023

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

distortion park posted:

it's tough finding a good breeder, all the ones which seem to provide a good environment for their dogs and really care about them in a serious manner also seem to be doing it to show dogs, and inter/line-breed a lot. I think I trust the show breeders a little more, the litter we're looking at would have a COI of 11.5% which is only a little over the UK average of 9.6% for english cockers. AFAICT this is not ideal but not terrible, but I'm also completely new to this. Maybe I'm overthinking it, I think our goals of getting a dog that we are confident we'll get on with (due to family members having similar ones) and not supporting bad practices are somewhat conflicting.

e: the parents are both clear for all the typical breed issues, which is an important factor as well

this is the place if it matters: http://www.clemencey.com/

COI is complicated and a lot of anti-purebred dog folks really harp on it but in general, it is more important to keep an eye on at the population level and less an indication of the health of individual dogs. All purebred dogs will have some amount of inbreeding, unless they are part of an outcross project, because all breeds came from a limited number of individuals and are being bred to meet a certain standard. You can't have the consistency of temperament you want without breeding for it and part of that is using linebreeding/inbreeding as a tool. Breeders just have to be careful to then use careful outcrossing (to different lines or different breeds even) to then reduce the COI and also be very aware of what is in the lines you are inbreeding so heavily on.

Also, paper/pedigree COI isn't super reflective of the actual genetic amount of homozygosity and a lot of folks aren't testing for genetic COI because it's fairly new. For example: on paper my dog has a perfectly reasonable 12.55% COI, however she's from a breeder that uses heavy linebreeding to preserve the type and consistency of her lines. Her genetic COI is 30%. She is perfectly healthy, fully health tested and I would buy her again in a heartbeat. I knew she would be exactly what I wanted because all of her breeder's dogs are exactly what I wanted because they're all inbred. The breeder has been working with those lines since her father started breeding them 60 years ago so she knows exactly what the risk is and fully health tests. Since then the breeder has imported a new stud from Australia as an outcross and in one generation her COIs will be back to (closer to) zero.

TLDR: General consensus is anything under 15% for dogs is probably fine and plenty of dogs are out there living their best lives with COIs that the royal houses would even find excessive. If the breeder is fully health testing, knows the lines well, and has a reason for that breeding I wouldn't bat an eye at an 11.5% COI.

Instant Jellyfish fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Aug 1, 2023

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Instant Jellyfish posted:

COI is complicated and a lot of anti-purebred dog folks really harp on it but in general, it is more important to keep an eye on at the population level and less an indication of the health of individual dogs. All purebred dogs will have some amount of inbreeding, unless they are part of an outcross project, because all breeds came from a limited number of individuals and are being bred to meet a certain standard. You can't have the consistency of temperament you want without breeding for it and part of that is using linebreeding/inbreeding as a tool. Breeders just have to be careful to then use careful outcrossing (to different lines or different breeds even) to then reduce the COI and also be very aware of what is in the lines you are inbreeding so heavily on.

Also, paper/pedigree COI isn't super reflective of the actual genetic amount of homozygosity and a lot of folks are testing for genetic COI because it's fairly new. For example: on paper my dog has a perfectly reasonable 12.55% COI, however she's from a breeder that uses heavy linebreeding to preserve the type and consistency of her lines. Her genetic COI is 30%. She is perfectly healthy, fully health tested and I would buy her again in a heartbeat. I knew she would be exactly what I wanted because all of her breeder's dogs are exactly what I wanted because they're all inbred. The breeder has been working with those lines since her father started breeding them 60 years ago so she knows exactly what the risk is and fully health tests. Since then the breeder has imported a new stud from Australia as an outcross and in one generation her COIs will be back to (closer to) zero.

TLDR: General consensus is anything under 15% for dogs is probably fine and plenty of dogs are out there living their best lives with COIs that the royal houses would even find excessive. If the breeder is fully health testing, knows the lines well, and has a reason for that breeding I wouldn't bat an eye at an 11.5% COI.

Thanks that's reassuring, I'll try asking the breeder how they picked the pairing when we next go visit - I'm pretty interested anyway and from what I know of them (friend of a colleague of a relative) they should be pretty enthusiastic to answer!

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Pickwick has had a fuckton of energy in the three days since he got neutered-way more than he had before imo-and then saturday night and last night he had to get up three times in the night to go have some diarrhea and the last time this morning at 5:15am he saw a possum on the fence and barked at it and kept barking at the door once i got him inside why did i decide to get a dog again?

E: lmao to cap it off he just ate 2/3 of a $98 check from wells fargo to pay for their sins half a decade ago.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Yeah, dogs just eat money man.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I'm with my parents dogs at the moment (two tiny Maltese/poodle crosses). They aren't very well trained but you can get away with it better with dogs that small and docile. There are only two problems really: they bark at people/birds passing by the windows (annoying for us), and one of them tends to bark a lot at other dogs and small children when being walked (the other one basically refuses to walk anywhere other than to my grandmother's care home, which is very nearby. she loves it there because she can sit on my grandmother's lap for hours without her moving)

for the barking during walks, I tried today crossing the road before we came across other people then kneeling down beside her and trying to keep her attention continuously while the child/dog walked past. if that didn't seem to be working I'd pick her up and hold her against me so she couldn't see them. It seemed to help a bit - she didn't bark - bit she was still trying to watch them all the time and would growl a bit. I think I should probably reward her for staying quiets with treats but she isnt that food motivated. Is there much more I can do? She's about 12 months old and I'm only here for a few weeks.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!
I like to use upbeat chatter, make distance, and keep moving to manage medium-reactive dogs.

So cross the road, talk to the dog, and keep them moving. If they are more ‘lose their mind’ reactive I will turn around and walk the other way, since a dog/person overtaking (separated by lateral distance) walking in the same direction is less worrisome for most dogs than head-on. They’ll also key off your body language, and will react more when you tense up or appear worried about the situation (which often leads to inadvertent worsening of the issue).

If you were sticking around for longer, I’d recommend finding a high value treat and playing ‘Look at that’ where you reward the dog for looking at something. If you start playing it from far enough away, they’ll learn to look at the scary thing then immediately turn back to you for a reward, and then their reactivity space bubble will start to shrink.

Engineer Lenk fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Aug 2, 2023

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!
Apparently new Kong smell is up there with eau de decomp, the dog decided that it absolutely merited the full cheek-to-shoulder rub.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Pickwick has had a fuckton of energy in the three days since he got neutered-way more than he had before imo-and then saturday night and last night he had to get up three times in the night to go have some diarrhea and the last time this morning at 5:15am he saw a possum on the fence and barked at it and kept barking at the door once i got him inside why did i decide to get a dog again?

E: lmao to cap it off he just ate 2/3 of a $98 check from wells fargo to pay for their sins half a decade ago.

I know that feeling..we've kept Freja in the last few days as she's been coughing a lot and sometimes vomiting and we're booked in at the vets in a week to check for Kennel Cough.

Because she's not been getting her 2 daily walks, we want to be responsible and if it's KK, don't want to infect other dogs, plus give her time to rest right and holy poo poo, she's suddenly not sleeping through the night, barking at everything and just being a dickhead frankly.

I kinda can't wait for her to hit 12 months old. Only 8 months to go.

Oh, and her adult teeth have started coming through so you can imagine how fun that is right now when her favourite chew toy is my fingers or forearm, because she can fit the whole loving thing in her huge arse mouth now.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Found a small lump on LB's side, just past his ribcage :(

Feels like it's just below the skin and it's marble-sized. Just hoping it's nothing major.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Mine had that a year or so ago and the vet said it was just a fatty lump hopefully you’re as lucky

Szechwan
Jun 10, 2023
Yeah my old pointer had a ton of those little fatty cysts as he got older, still made it to like 15 though. Do your due diligence by all means of course, not worth the risk.

Szechwan
Jun 10, 2023
Also, meet Lemon. She's a Bernese/Lab cross and the absolute sweetest girl you will ever meet.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Thanks for the replies. He already had his annual checkup scheduled in two weeks. Called the vet to ask and I'll continue to monitor the lump until then.

And is that a picture of Lemon in the background of your picture of Lemon? :haw:

Dango Bango fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Aug 3, 2023

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Dango Bango posted:

Thanks for the replies. He already had his annual checkup scheduled in two weeks. Called the vet to ask and I'll continue to monitor the lump until then.

And is that a picture of Lemonin the background of your picture of Lemon? :haw:

Hey I have like 3 pictures of my Iliana hanging up around the house. My sister has been getting them made for me for Christmas, thinking it's a good gift.

And she's right. I love each and every one of them

Szechwan
Jun 10, 2023

Dango Bango posted:

And is that a picture of Lemon in the background of your picture of Lemon? :haw:

Haha yes it is. We needed a reminder of her pink nose puppy phase. I can't find that exact pic but this does the trick

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

This makes me happy, thank you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

Szechwan posted:

Haha yes it is. We needed a reminder of her pink nose puppy phase. I can't find that exact pic but this does the trick

butterfly cub :kimchi: