Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

if bethesda is actually consistent about the elder scrolls setting hammerfell is going to bring out one of the biggest arthmoor meltdowns ever

All I know is the best meltdowns will occur when someone releases a mod that does nothing more than turn everyone's skin white, black or green. No other changes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Looks like Starfield will be a 'Play Anywhere' title, so it should have cross-saves between PC and Xbox if you're on game pass.

https://twitter.com/StarfieldNews/status/1686324344102756353?s=20

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
Subsequent playthroughs feature an option to build a character using the difficulty level selection course from Quake.

"Make sure to swim backwards after jumping through the final 'sexpot' portal for a hidden difficulty."

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Where the hell is the marketing for this game. How can I know it even exists.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

John F Bennett posted:

Which game are you referring to?

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

John F Bennett posted:

It's certainly not getting the Megan Fox humiliation fetish campaign or the Halsey music video tie-in.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

AirRaid posted:

Which game are you referring to?

A new lemmings game maybe? I haven't heard anything about something like that coming out, so possible that it's.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

John F Bennett posted:

Maybe they're waiting for the BG3 launch hype to end and/or the backlash to begin.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
There will be no BG3 backlash because it will be GOTY.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

John F Bennett posted:

Looks like Starfield will be a 'Play Anywhere' title, so it should have cross-saves between PC and Xbox if you're on game pass.

Optimized for series X but only 30fps lol

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Out of control hype, dodgy rushed release, there will absolutely be a backlash, deserved or undeserved. Which doesn't mean it won't be GOTY.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

John F Bennett posted:

This means it’s on xcloud too right?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

MarcusSA posted:

This means it’s on xcloud too right?

Yes!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Nice!!

It’s probably still locked at 30fps which kinda sucks though. Would be legit if it wasn’t lol.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Kuiperdolin posted:

Out of control hype, dodgy rushed release, there will absolutely be a backlash, deserved or undeserved. Which doesn't mean it won't be GOTY.

Are you talking about Starfield or BG3? Can’t see how you could call either of those rushed

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

ymgve posted:

Are you talking about Starfield or BG3? Can’t see how you could call either of those rushed

Idk if that’s what they’re referring to, but BG3 was initially gonna come out a month later. Until Starfield’s release date was announced.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

god i hope this game doesn't suck

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

CLAM DOWN posted:

god i hope this game doesn't suck

Excited, but im keeping my expectations in check this, unlike the last 1000 other times for really hyped up games. This time will be different, honest! Expecting a good and fun game, but actually ends up being limited in scope, and prepared to realize that some of the marketing footage ends up being misleading and/or not actually in the game.

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018
If they manage to capture some sense of discovery, I'm happy. Gameplay-wise, I'd imagine it's close to Fallout 4, turbostrafing enemies and all.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I refuse to keep my expectations in check.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

John F Bennett posted:

Hell yes! I love having this flexibility.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Kuiperdolin posted:

Maybe they're waiting for the BG3 launch hype to end and/or the backlash to begin.

Bear based advertising worked for Larian so Bethesda is trying hibernation.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
looks like it will release at 5pm PT on the 31st, so we're 4 weeks away argh

c'mon todd, just release it now and really gently caress with those bg3 people.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Do you have a source for that? It'd be nice to know for sure if the early access will drop a day earlier than expected

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Just did a quick round of all the various storefronts the game is available on and everything that has an actual release date and not just "5 days early" for the premium editions state the release date as 1st September 2023. The caveat posted alongside this is:

"*Actual play time depends on purchase date and is subject to possible outages and applicable time zone differences.".

There's no mention of an unlock time anywhere, or any other date than the 1st/6th.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

AirRaid posted:

There's no mention of an unlock time anywhere, or any other date than the 1st/6th.

They'll let everyone download it on the 1st/6th but than just not unlock it until Sep 6th, 2026.

I'm on to your tricks Todd!

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
https://gamerant.com/starfield-play-early-how/

quote:

The official Starfield release date is September 6, but those that buy the Premium Edition, or the Premium Edition upgrade, will get to play September 1. However, it's been discovered through Microsoft Store listings that the game will technically be playable even earlier depending on where one lives. For example, those living in Central Time Zone should be able to play as early as August 31 at 7:00pm.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

I wouldn't trust a single thing from Gamerant, it's a bottom-dwelling floor feeder of a content farm. There's no source in the article itself, but it's almost certainly something from reddit. It usually is.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I'm pretty sure Gamerant has used me as a source in at least one of their previous Bethesda-focused articles.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
oh bummer, and I think i originally saw it on reddit but I don't have an xbox to confirm, just steam.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Both the Xbox app and the MS store on PC list the date 01/09 for the premium edition and no times are shown anywhere. The same caveat about actual play time being dependent on blah blah is present. I would take it with a pinch of salt, although funky unlock times via time zone shenanigans aren’t an unknown thing.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I'm pretty sure it's a global release time, so no time zone shenanigans can be had.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I'm gonna download this game and then remember how much I hate Bethesda Dialogue

there has to be a better way to talk to characters than them looking dead-eyed into the camera while reciting paragraphs at you? I never hated talking to people in Mass Effect but maybe that's because your character wasn't mute

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Fallout 4 had a talking PC and it sucked. Glad Todd changed his mind for Starfield.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

AndrewP posted:

there has to be a better way to talk to characters than them looking dead-eyed into the camera while reciting paragraphs at you? I never hated talking to people in Mass Effect but maybe that's because your character wasn't mute

This is the first BGS game to have a "zoom in on NPC's face staring straight into your soul" conversation system in fifteen years

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

They're just copying outer worlds

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

always seeking to survive and flourish

ThaumPenguin posted:

This is the first BGS game to have a "zoom in on NPC's face staring straight into your soul" conversation system in fifteen years

People have no idea how difficult this loving camera angle makes it to pay attention to what people are saying.

Every digital character’s eyes look dead when you’re one foot away dead-center. This wasn’t a huge problem back when the character models were terrible, like in the oblivion days. But as faces start looking more realistic, that idiot camera zoom starts to look more and more uncanny.

marshmallow creep posted:

They're just copying outer worlds

A true recipe for success. :downs:

Chillmatic fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Aug 3, 2023

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
Outer Worlds was good.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
Outer Worlds was surprisingly boring. Here’s hoping OW2 significantly builds on the proof of concept.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

When Outer Worlds is like $20 I will buy it.