Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Would Ghostwatch count as investigative horror? That's a good one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bbobseq
Jul 1, 2023
Mulholland Drive

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
The Borderlands

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

bbobseq posted:

Mulholland Drive

Do we count David Lynch as horror? I just sort of have his stuff bucketed in its own genre-less tier.

Blue Velvet and Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me could be thrown in as investigative if they count though.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Lynch's stuff is downright scarier than literally anything Blumhouse ever released, definitely horror

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Fire Walk With me freaks me out on a weird deep level. It’s great

bbobseq
Jul 1, 2023

shoeberto posted:

Do we count David Lynch as horror? I just sort of have his stuff bucketed in its own genre-less tier.

Blue Velvet and Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me could be thrown in as investigative if they count though.

Lynch has scared me more than any horror movie outside The Exorcist

he bleeds over many genres but yeah, I think the horror community in general owes him great bouquets of flowers.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

Would Ghostwatch count as investigative horror? That's a good one.

For sure

On that note, wnuf

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

shoeberto posted:

Usul, we have takes the like of which God has never seen.

(Seriously: Eraserhead is absolutely horror, as are most of his short films. Nearly all his films have elements of horror or grand guignol. And if there's anything out there more nightmarish than Cooking Quinoa With David Lynch, I don't want to know about it.)

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Lynch consistently does the thing that David Cronenberg does occasionally, which is present a world where supernatural or science-fictional horror is just innately suffused into ordinary life, awful but unremarkable. Mulholland Drive or Eraserhead are to horror what magic realism is to fantasy.

bbobseq
Jul 1, 2023
NSFW
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wU-oaFM-Gdg

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer
David Lynch is one of my favorite directors, and Eraserhead one of my personal hall of fame favorites. I can't say I'd reach for Lynch when I'm in the mood for a horror film, but at the same time I think any discerning horror fan is going to be into his stuff. (Although oddly enough the G-rated film The Straight Story is probably in my Lynch top 3 as well.)

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I have an extremely strong emotional response to the final scene of Fire Walk With Me with Cooper and Laura in the Red Room where he's sort of wordlessly comforting her.

I've never thought of it this way but Fire Walk With Me is probably the ultimate prequel, the best ever use of a prequel. Because if you watched(and obsessed over) Twin Peaks, you hardly got to know Laura. She was like a distant star where we only could understand it's presence by observing the effects it had on the surrounding area. The whole show is about the ripple effects of who she was and what happened to her. So to then see her struggle so vividly and to see how inevitable it felt in the moment and what it meant to actually be in her shoes, it just rips your heart out and adds a totally new layer to Twin Peaks that didn't exist before Lynch made that movie.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Fire Walk With Me, Eraserhead, and Lost Highway are absolutely horror to me, with his other works not really despite some horror elements. It has to do with what the film is focused on, I think.

Fire Walk With Me is such a beautiful piece of work. It's so tragic yet so meaningful and it recontextualizes so much of Twin Peaks, it's that perfect ending to those first two seasons and it's an incredible film on its own too. It, Mulholland Drive, and Eraserhead are some of my favorite movies ever made.

Erin M. Fiasco fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Aug 1, 2023

bbobseq
Jul 1, 2023
[quote="Basebf555" post="533594223"

I've never thought of it this way but Fire Walk With Me is probably the ultimate prequel, the best ever use of a prequel.
[/quote]

:boom:

not even gonna fix the code cause I'm too stoned

bbobseq fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Aug 1, 2023

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Blue Velvet is definitely a horror movie.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Lynch consistently does the thing that David Cronenberg does occasionally, which is present a world where supernatural or science-fictional horror is just innately suffused into ordinary life, awful but unremarkable. Mulholland Drive or Eraserhead are to horror what magic realism is to fantasy.

that said, Cronenberg >>>>> Lynch when it comes to Weird Davids

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

Crescent Wrench posted:

David Lynch is one of my favorite directors, and Eraserhead one of my personal hall of fame favorites. I can't say I'd reach for Lynch when I'm in the mood for a horror film, but at the same time I think any discerning horror fan is going to be into his stuff. (Although oddly enough the G-rated film The Straight Story is probably in my Lynch top 3 as well.)

Yeah that's all I was really getting at. It's not that his stuff isn't scary on a very deep cerebral level, it's just that I don't associate it with "horror". It's just David Lynch. Then again I have a special reverence for the guy, I just think he's neat.

Basebf555 posted:

I have an extremely strong emotional response to the final scene of Fire Walk With Me with Cooper and Laura in the Red Room where he's sort of wordlessly comforting her.

I've never thought of it this way but Fire Walk With Me is probably the ultimate prequel, the best ever use of a prequel. Because if you watched(and obsessed over) Twin Peaks, you hardly got to know Laura. She was like a distant star where we only could understand it's presence by observing the effects it had on the surrounding area. The whole show is about the ripple effects of who she was and what happened to her. So to then see her struggle so vividly and to see how inevitable it felt in the moment and what it meant to actually be in her shoes, it just rips your heart out and adds a totally new layer to Twin Peaks that didn't exist before Lynch made that movie.

gently caress yeah. I dragged my feet on watching it because of the weird response people/critics had to it. It's loving incredible.

Twin Peaks is the ultimate "buy the ticket, take the ride" show. It's the best when you just let Lynch and Frost take you on their journey.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
:spooky: OFFICIAL QUERY :spooky:

As I've been trying to nail down a format for the October Challenge, I've started to get the feeling that having some challenges be rewatch eligible and others not is going to be needlessly complex especially when you add in the layer of meta challenges(i.e. "watch a movie from 5 different decades, etc etc). My instinct is that it will be confusing.

What I'm leaning towards is just saying that all challenges are rewatch eligible. Those that want to stick with new-to-them films will obviously be free to do so and those that want to mix in rewatches can do that as well. It might be fun to have an extra little rule that if you rewatch something, part of your write up has to be about how you reacted to that film in this particular viewing compared to past viewings.

Thoughts? Is that something that would take a lot of the juice out of the challenge for some people, if the rules didn't force you to watch new stuff? My feeling is that a certain amount of freedom and flexibility is always important for the challenge but obviously the rules are a big part of what makes it fun too. So if there's a strong majority either way I'm happy to go with it.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Basebf555 posted:

As I've been trying to nail down a format for the October Challenge, I've started to get the feeling that having some challenges be rewatch eligible and others not is going to be needlessly complex especially when you add in the layer of meta challenges(i.e. "watch a movie from 5 different decades, etc etc). My instinct is that it will be confusing.

What I'm leaning towards is just saying that all challenges are rewatch eligible. Those that want to stick with new-to-them films will obviously be free to do so and those that want to mix in rewatches can do that as well. It might be fun to have an extra little rule that if you rewatch something, part of your write up has to be about how you reacted to that film in this particular viewing compared to past viewings.

Thoughts? Is that something that would take a lot of the juice out of the challenge for some people, if the rules didn't force you to watch new stuff? My feeling is that a certain amount of freedom and flexibility is always important for the challenge but obviously the rules are a big part of what makes it fun too. So if there's a strong majority either way I'm happy to go with it.

I could go either way - more flexibility is always a good thing, but at the same time I think the spirit of the challenges is to encourage people to watch films that they may not have otherwise sought out.

What if you made it one of the "meta" challenges? Say there are 13 challenges, you could have a meta challenge be that at least 7 have to be first-time watches. Or whatever numbers you go with. That way each person can pick and choose for each challenge.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yea I hadn't thought of incorporating the first time watches directly into the meta challenges. That might solve the issue, rather than specifically labeling each challenge as rewatch eligible or not. People still have to watch some amount of new stuff, but they get control over which challenges they do it with.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I think "rewatch" is a nebulous term. I watched all the SCREAMs this year to prep for SCREAM VI, so rewatching them again in October feels like a cheat. Meanwhile, I haven't seen THE FRIGHTENERS since I saw it in theaters in 1997. Maybe a 20 year grace period or something similar would be acceptable?

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Shrecknet posted:

I think "rewatch" is a nebulous term. I watched all the SCREAMs this year to prep for SCREAM VI, so rewatching them again in October feels like a cheat. Meanwhile, I haven't seen THE FRIGHTENERS since I saw it in theaters in 1997. Maybe a 20 year grace period or something similar would be acceptable?

20 years? How old do you think everyone is lol.

We should stop thinking of re-watching as some sort of cheat, like there is value in watching a film multiple times in a short amount of time- you can learn so much and find new things to talk about each time. Just as there is value in watching new stuff. I say the less restrictions the better, I personally always want to watch spooky season favorites in October as much as I want to find new ones.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

You’ve all seen every movie so the real challenge is watch every skibidi toilet video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrlkXOxlvCk

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Apologies for kinda flailing around with this stuff, I know Fran had the confidence to just put the challenge out there and didn't really bother people with the minutiae. I just want to make sure when the Challenge launches it's something everyone is at least mostly happy with.

Right now the format I'm thinking about is 18 individual challenges, and then the meta challenges that you can plan out and overlap with the individual challenges to make things easier for yourself. With gey muckle mowsers idea about one of the meta challenges being a certain # of first time watches, I think that streamlines things pretty well and would be something that the long time participants can sink their teeth into but without intimidating/overwhelming potential new people.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

WeaponX posted:

20 years? How old do you think everyone is lol.
The average regdate of the top 20 posters in this thread is 2008.3 ( :regd08: ), meaning they're at least 33 (assuming they regged the day they turned 18). We're old now lol.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Shrecknet posted:

The average regdate of the top 20 posters in this thread is 2008.3 ( :regd08: ), meaning they're at least 33 (assuming they regged the day they turned 18). We're old now lol.

Oh I’m aware but the only horror film I saw before I was 12 was Ernest Scared Stupid and as much as I love that film I don’t think I want it to be the only one I can rewatch for the challenge thread!

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Basebf555 posted:

Apologies for kinda flailing around with this stuff, I know Fran had the confidence to just put the challenge out there and didn't really bother people with the minutiae. I just want to make sure when the Challenge launches it's something everyone is at least mostly happy with.

Right now the format I'm thinking about is 18 individual challenges, and then the meta challenges that you can plan out and overlap with the individual challenges to make things easier for yourself. With gey muckle mowsers idea about one of the meta challenges being a certain # of first time watches, I think that streamlines things pretty well and would be something that the long time participants can sink their teeth into but without intimidating/overwhelming potential new people.

Nah, you're doing great. I hope feedback isn't making you feel unsure of yourself.

If there's something I can do to help, let me know. I'd be happy to take some random admin scut-work off your hands if it makes running things easier.

WeaponX posted:

Oh I’m aware but the only horror film I saw before I was 12 was Ernest Scared Stupid and as much as I love that film I don’t think I want it to be the only one I can rewatch for the challenge thread!

I watched a lot of the major pillars of the horror genre by the time I was 15, and I don't think that's rare in this thread. I could stand to rewatch some classics that didn't jive with dumb teen me. Like some of the later Texas Chainsaws.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer

WeaponX posted:

You'll watch Ernest Scared Stupid every day for 31 days and you'll LIKE it.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

fr0id posted:

So like our gold standard of modern evil horror that hates its victims is puppet master littlest reich. Tons of brutal kills in minorities and completely ignores the lore of the puppets, inverting them from being made by a victim of Nazis to actually being nazis.

I made the mistake of watching this movie yesterday since I was working from home and scanning through Tubi. This felt like it was written by a 13 year old edgelord kid in the mid 90s. None of the characters have a single likable trait except maybe Thomas Lennon, and he's more of a blank slate than anything else.

This was just a bunch of paper thin characters and assholes getting brutally killed by puppets, then they add this whole "the puppetmaster was a nazi, these are hate crimes!" thing in an attempt to either make you feel bad or excuse the grossness? But this comes like moments after a puppet that looks like a hateful jewish caricature crawled into a woman and ripped a fetus out of her.

It bothered me so much that I looked up the screenwriter to see if I was missing some amazing satire or something. No, he's apparently just a middle-aged edgelord who might be a right-wing piece of poo poo, too.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Art the clown should go terrorize Craig zahler

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

It seems decided but yeah, I agree rewatch is a bit of a nebulous term and basically operating on the honor code. Sometimes when I THINK i've seen a movie but don't remember anything about it I count it as new. Sometimes when I know I saw something a long time ago its a rewatch but I remember nothing about it. Other times I'm half way through a "new" watch and realize I've seen it. So it all just seems like whatever. Someone's gonna want to watch something new they will and if they want to "cheat" they well. And you can work "new watches" into challenges like the meta count ones or something like "a country you've never seen".

Basebf555 posted:

HAHA! Imagine people having to deal with my anxiety ridden survey filled Bracketology process.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Crescent Wrench posted:

You'll watch Ernest Scared Stupid every day for 31 days and you'll LIKE it.

Day 28: I’m starting to think this Ernest guy has a few screws loose

Xiahou Dun posted:

I watched a lot of the major pillars of the horror genre by the time I was 15, and I don't think that's rare in this thread. I could stand to rewatch some classics that didn't jive with dumb teen me. Like some of the later Texas Chainsaws.

Cool, I did not. But if the idea is make sure we are inviting to newcomers, making it so you can’t re-watch a Halloween favorite for the thread because you have watched it in last two decades seems a tadddd restrictive.

WeaponX fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Aug 1, 2023

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

A Fancy Hat posted:

I made the mistake of watching this movie yesterday since I was working from home and scanning through Tubi. This felt like it was written by a 13 year old edgelord kid in the mid 90s. None of the characters have a single likable trait except maybe Thomas Lennon, and he's more of a blank slate than anything else.

This was just a bunch of paper thin characters and assholes getting brutally killed by puppets, then they add this whole "the puppetmaster was a nazi, these are hate crimes!" thing in an attempt to either make you feel bad or excuse the grossness? But this comes like moments after a puppet that looks like a hateful jewish caricature crawled into a woman and ripped a fetus out of her.

It bothered me so much that I looked up the screenwriter to see if I was missing some amazing satire or something. No, he's apparently just a middle-aged edgelord who might be a right-wing piece of poo poo, too.

I've never seen any of his films but from what I gather he's made one movie about having to massacre evil first nations people, another about little nazi puppets killing poc, and another about racist cops being justified in being racist revenge killers. So you know... when they show you who they are...

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Bone tomahawk was good. Idk if it works now but I really loved the slow burn, good actors and the amazing gore scene in the last act.

It’s a fun little exploitation western horror noir? thing.

But eff the rest of his out put.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

WeaponX posted:

Day 28: I’m starting to think this Ernest guy has a few screws loose

Cool, I did not. But if the idea is make sure we are inviting to newcomers, making it so you can’t re-watch a Halloween favorite for the thread because you have watched it in last two decades seems a tadddd restrictive.

Sorry, I wasn't trying to be a dick. I was going with the general idea of "watched before you were an actual adult" like a Formative Years category or something instead of making it an arbitrary cut-off.

Skrillmub
Nov 22, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

I think adding an extra requirement for rewatches is a good idea, because it brings some extra flavour to the thread. A few weeks in every post kind of looks the same and it gets a bit stale.
I don't think anyone actually takes the October challenge or the bingo challenges so seriously you can't allow more flexibility. It's just a time to talk about a lot of movies you've seen. Anyone who feels proud of how many movies or challenges they completed does so in a personal way and no one ever gets into a slap fight about being the most best movie watcher.

Also, David Lynch is elevated horror before someone decided a spook without sexy teens needed a special name.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think David Lynch deals with the sinister underbelly of American institutions and that certainly CAN feel like horror and be horror in a number of cases. But like I wouldn't call Blue Velvet horror more than most noir films.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Basebf, I understand the desire to allow more rewatches without making the rules overly complex. I think this has been mentioned in some form, but maybe it's just as simple as saying "you get X number of rewatches you can apply towards challenges." That way people can revisit old favorites but still have fun with the categories, and can get a freebie on a challenge where they've seen most of the good ones.