Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Yeah, the walnuts get candied with the sugar, butter and oil, and are used to dress the cake after frosting. My normal practice is to toast any nut I ever use in baking. The recipe doesn't mention toasting them, but I'm not aware of a reason why you wouldn't.

I'd do a test run.
Toasting nuts on their own is a perfectly normal thing to do, but I'd worry that if you toast them on their own, then cook them with the sugar, butter and oil, they are going to get very overcooked and burned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Pookah posted:

I'd do a test run.
Toasting nuts on their own is a perfectly normal thing to do, but I'd worry that if you toast them on their own, then cook them with the sugar, butter and oil, they are going to get very overcooked and burned.

:hmmyes:

Thanks!

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Yeah, the walnuts get candied with the sugar, butter and oil, and are used to dress the cake after frosting. My normal practice is to toast any nut I ever use in baking. The recipe doesn't mention toasting them, but I'm not aware of a reason why you wouldn't.

Don't pre-toast them; they'll get plenty toasted during the candying process. I candy nuts pretty much every month in the fall/winter and they'll come out fine without a pre-toast. Walnuts especially are delicate, so definitely don't pre-game!

And make a half cup or more extra & keep handy for snacking on while you dress that cake. The smell will make the whole house hungry.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

effika posted:

Don't pre-toast them; they'll get plenty toasted during the candying process. I candy nuts pretty much every month in the fall/winter and they'll come out fine without a pre-toast. Walnuts especially are delicate, so definitely don't pre-game!

And make a half cup or more extra & keep handy for snacking on while you dress that cake. The smell will make the whole house hungry.

Listen to this poster, I do it for work twice a week.

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

Make double what you need because you will want to eat at least as much as you need.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Bagheera posted:

Buckwheat crepes/galette.

I've made "regular" crepes as we know them in the US with this recipe:
• 3 tbsp butter
• 120g flour
• 1 tbsp sugar
• 3/4 cup whole milk
• 2 large eggs
Mix in a blender, rest about an hour, then cook thin.

I want to try buckwheat crepes. I've never worked with buckwheat before. Can I just sub buckwheat flour for wheat flour? Or should I use a totally different recipe?

My Paris Kitchen has a recipe that has
210g buckwheat flour
1/2 tsp salt
530ml water, plus more if needed
2 eggs

Pretty wild how different they are! This recipe was great for us. Can't recall how much extra water I added; I did a lot of crepe practice that month with other recipes so I was going by batter consistency

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Bagheera posted:

Buckwheat crepes/galette.

I've made "regular" crepes as we know them in the US with this recipe:
• 3 tbsp butter
• 120g flour
• 1 tbsp sugar
• 3/4 cup whole milk
• 2 large eggs
Mix in a blender, rest about an hour, then cook thin.

I want to try buckwheat crepes. I've never worked with buckwheat before. Can I just sub buckwheat flour for wheat flour? Or should I use a totally different recipe?

Yes. Should be 1-1 sub. Depending on where you got your buckwheat flour, you might need to add a bit more liquid or flour to get your consistency right, since buckwheat is more susceptible to hydration change in storage.

DildenAnders posted:

What's a good cut of beef to use for homemade Lomo Saltado?

I like flank or other beefier cuts, but basically anything works. You're cooking it in small strips in a wok, so just go with what you like.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Kalsco posted:

Make double what you need because you will want to eat at least as much as you need.

Just make sure you let them cool down a bit before you start chugging them, I was without tastebuds for a week the first time I made candied nuts.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Is there a way to figure out whether a pot if oven safe?

Not sure what it's made of, exactly. Nothing feels plastic-y, but I'm not sure about the coating.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Xander77 posted:

Is there a way to figure out whether a pot if oven safe?

Not sure what it's made of, exactly. Nothing feels plastic-y, but I'm not sure about the coating.

Is there a brand stamped on it anywhere? Usually the bottom, but sometimes under either side handle or the handle of the lid. It should be possible to look up the make an model and see if there are any specs for it.

It looks like a plastic coating, but I've seen metal and stone cookware that has a pattern like that. Is it heavy? Is it magnetic? Neither of those alone would say if it's oven safe, but it might help point in the right direction.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
The coating could be enamel; my enameled canning pot looks like that. But yeah, look for a stamp somewhere that could let you get more information.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

It just says "Soltam", with no further info about the model. Other items with the same black and white splotchy pattern are non-stick, so that's not oven safe, if I understand correctly?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Xander77 posted:

It just says "Soltam", with no further info about the model. Other items with the same black and white splotchy pattern are non-stick, so that's not oven safe, if I understand correctly?

Some non-stick treatments are oven safe. The Ninja Foodie Neverstick is good to 500 for example.

In your case, for Soltam, I did a quick look and all the pots and pans I could find indicated that they were made from aluminum, and while rated for any kind of stove, none of them mentioned being oven safe at all. All the handles appeared to be some kind of plastic. I wouldn't risk it.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
What type(s) of sauce are appropriate for gnocchi? I usually do a brown butter sage sauce but feel like mixing it up.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

C-Euro posted:

What type(s) of sauce are appropriate for gnocchi? I usually do a brown butter sage sauce but feel like mixing it up.

I love a really super light tomato sauce. Like just crush up a can of San Marianos and toss it in a hot skillet with olive oil and a bunch of fresh basil and let it cook for 2 minutes.

I’m not aiming for any real thickening, just a thin sauce to coat the gnocchi. Brown butter and sage feels very fall/wintery, whereas this feels very spring/summery.

If you’re okay with some blasphemy, I love gnocchi with some curry powder and ghee. Just fry the gnocchi with a bunch of ghee, then toss in a tsp or two of your favorite curry powder and toss for like 15 seconds to take the raw edge off the spices. Great by itself, or have a bowl of tomato gothsu for dipping

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

C-Euro posted:

Pesto is the other super common pairing, but pretty much anything works: simple red sauce, all Vodka, aglio e olio, whatever.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Gnocchi carbonara is real heavy and real good.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I am very excited, a while ago I was debating ordering Momofuku's chili crisp to try -- I've never tried chili crisp -- or just buying whatever I could find in the stores locally, and it turns out that my local gourmet grocer carries Momofuku. Gonna try that on some eggs. They also have gochujang, which I have never used (the brand was something like Mother-In-Law's?).

Any suggestions on an easy-ish recipe to try out the gochujang? Chicken or beef (or veg) preferred.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.
I really like this gochujang roast chicken from Bon Appetit
https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/slow-roast-gochujang-chicken

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Veritek83 posted:

I really like this gochujang roast chicken from Bon Appetit
https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/slow-roast-gochujang-chicken

This is a monthly staple in my house. Or at least something resembling this at this point.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

guppy posted:

I am very excited, a while ago I was debating ordering Momofuku's chili crisp to try -- I've never tried chili crisp -- or just buying whatever I could find in the stores locally, and it turns out that my local gourmet grocer carries Momofuku.

We have an unopened container from a gift package a few months ago, excited to finish our current chili crisp and break it open.

Their savory salt is great, and so is the spicy salt. The latter can go on anything, for me anything tomato based like pizza or pasta, and the former goes on anything that would pair well with mushrooms or seaweed.

You can absolutely mix your own, which I probably will after we run out.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

IMO the biggest thing to do with gochujang is to just make some bibimbap.

It's not really a recipe kind of thing, in the same way that sandwich recipes are kinda like "get some bread, put whatever stuff you want onto it". But basically:

Prepare a handful of vegetable sides: stir fried veggies, blanched veggies, spinach, cucumber, lettuce, whatever you want
Optionally prepare some protein in bite-sized chunks: chicken, beef, fried tofu
Put some rice in a bowl and place the vegetable sides and the protein in quadrants
Fry an egg and put it on top
Top it to taste with some gochujang mixed with a bit of water to loosen it up, plus optionally sesame oil
Mix up the rice, sides, and gochujang to your liking and eat it

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

C-Euro posted:

https://www.the-pasta-project.com

This is your best friend whenever you want a pasta or gnocchi recipe. One woman’s quest to document every pasta shape and traditional recipe that exists in Italy. You should get loads of ideas

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

C-Euro posted:

Babish's gnocchi video has a blue cheese sauce that I made once that was great. I made it with sweet potato gnocchi

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
What are some low calorie options, veggies, protein, sauces, etc, that would be good for a taco/burrito/tortilla? I am thinking of having a chicken fajitas but I want to aim for a total calorie count of like 300 or less, so maybe onion, peppers, what else can I put in it that doesn't have a lot of calories?

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Raenir Salazar posted:

What are some low calorie options, veggies, protein, sauces, etc, that would be good for a taco/burrito/tortilla? I am thinking of having a chicken fajitas but I want to aim for a total calorie count of like 300 or less, so maybe onion, peppers, what else can I put in it that doesn't have a lot of calories?
Basically any green or red vegetable has a pretty negligible amount of calories. Onions, peppers, lettuce, zucchini, cucumbers, tomatoes basically aren’t worth counting for the amount in a taco. Cabbage, carrots and sweet potato make good vegetarian taco fillings and have a few more calories. Avacados are good fat but they still have a good many calories vs other vegetables. The fat you cook them in will probably have more calories than the vegetables themselves, so be careful with that.

They might be made out of Soylent Green and they are kind of expensive, but those Mission carb-balance tortillas are great and only have 70 calories vs twice that for a normal tortilla. I make taco meat with the 90 or 93% lean ground beef and throw some canned black beans in to stretch it. With 100g of that taco mix, a little cheese and a carb balance soft taco size tortilla, it’s 244cal per taco according to MyFitnessPal.

Shredded chicken breast in the crock pot with some mojo marinade from a bottle is great taco filling too. I like it with some shredded cabbage or slaw. The chicken is a bit lower calorie than beef and bean, especially since I am fine eating a chicken taco without cheese.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
The tortilla will often be the most caloric part. Lettuce wraps, rice paper or even stuffed cabbage leaves are all lower calorie alternatives

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Lentils are super filling with tons of fiber. You could do them in place of refried beans, or just to bulk out the meat

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest
Hello, I'm grinding up some dried cardamom pods and notice that when I do this they seem to separate into husks and seeds. Are you supposed to grind up and include these outer husk parts (which are very fragrant) or just use the interior 'seed' part? Its for garam masala

edit it's cardamom not coriander, dummy haverchuck

Haverchuck fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Aug 2, 2023

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I always just discard the pods. I know I see them whole in some restaurant dishes where they simmer for a long time but all home recipes seem to deal just in the seeds.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

if your grinder can handle it (i know my crappy old blade grinder doesn't always do a great job with them) i don't see why not to use them, they do have good flavor

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Raenir Salazar posted:

Mushrooms can be good. Adds nice flavor and not very much calories, just be careful not to add too much oil.

With salsas just find something tomatoey without added sugar and it’ll be pretty light.

I like beans in my burritos. They’re more calorie dense than veggies for sure but they’re less than meat.

If you like sour cream on your burritos you can try plain yogurt. Yogurt is a very common accompaniment to savory Indian dishes so it’s not that weird.

This suggestion is kinda anti-gourmet but whatever: maybe look at trying queso dip if you just really want some cheese? IMO a bit of that stuff will stretch out the calories from the cheese much further. Doesn’t taste as good though.

You might also look into doing burrito bowls. I like doing that: tons of veggies, some beans, lettuce, a bunch of cilantro, a bunch of salsa, a dollop of yogurt, and a small amount of couscous on the bottom. A bit of hot sauce on the side too.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I'm on the keto diet so I have these low carb tortilla's I wanted to try out so mainly was looking for ideas to supplement the protein chicken, great ideas everyone! I ended up having three because they were so delicious. :blush:

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Haverchuck posted:

Hello, I'm grinding up some dried cardamom pods and notice that when I do this they seem to separate into husks and seeds. Are you supposed to grind up and include these outer husk parts (which are very fragrant) or just use the interior 'seed' part? Its for garam masala

edit it's cardamom not coriander, dummy haverchuck

You can throw out the outer husk if you want to be precious about it, but seeing as how cardamom (especially good quality cardamom) is beastly expensive, most folk in the subcontinent won't throw out the husks. They'll grind the whole lot together until it becomes a power.

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
I like to take a little cardamom and scatter it on my car dash. Far better smelling than any stinky fake tree.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Arkhamina posted:

I like to take a little cardamom and scatter it on my car dash. Far better smelling than any stinky fake tree.
heck, it's even in the name

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

guppy posted:

I am very excited, a while ago I was debating ordering Momofuku's chili crisp to try -- I've never tried chili crisp -- or just buying whatever I could find in the stores locally, and it turns out that my local gourmet grocer carries Momofuku. Gonna try that on some eggs. They also have gochujang, which I have never used (the brand was something like Mother-In-Law's?).

Any suggestions on an easy-ish recipe to try out the gochujang? Chicken or beef (or veg) preferred.

I tried the chili crisp on my eggs this morning. Pleasant amount of heat. Not sure the flavor was anything to write home about. Also not totally sure I used it right, I spooned out the solids and poured off the excess oil. I wouldn't really want to use more, but it wasn't particularly crunchy, which is what I thought would happen.

Probably trying either that gochujang slow-roasted chicken or beef bulgogi next week, won't be at the grocery store til then.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
The chili crisp is the weakest of the Momofuku products, IMO. It’s fine, but as you said, definitely nothing to write home about. Most of the Lao Gan Ma versions are better, and Fly by Jing is great, but quite a bit spicier. Both are crispier than my bottle of Momofuku was.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Mr Bing is decent, it's got a more noticeable Szechuan peppercorn flavor, or at least the mild does

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Fly By Jing are the people who started selling the stuff commercially, so it makes sense that theirs is better and spicier. BTW, if you have the money, buy Szechuan peppers and other supplies directly from them. You will be astonished at how good fresh Szechuan pepper is.

dino. posted:

You can throw out the outer husk if you want to be precious about it, but seeing as how cardamom (especially good quality cardamom) is beastly expensive, most folk in the subcontinent won't throw out the husks. They'll grind the whole lot together until it becomes a power.
Learned something new! I bought decorticated cardamom because I use it for baking and I'm lazy, but I'll bear that in mind for pulverizing Indian. Food.