Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teemolover42069
Apr 6, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
ok smart guys. what's your solution? treat employees with respect and pay them what they deserve? grow up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Really love this poo poo.

Market forces are ruining capitalism! :qq:

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

teemolover42069 posted:

ok smart guys. what's your solution? treat employees with respect and pay them what they deserve? grow up.

Corporate lobbying to allow indenture clauses in contracts, and legalizing performance penalties that act as undischargable debt to the company who levied them.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Corporate lobbying to allow indenture clauses in contracts, and legalizing performance penalties that act as undischargable debt to the company who levied them.

Now this is the kind of idea that will get you in the board room.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

I learned two very important things delivering bread:

1. Do everything right the first time, so you don't have to do double the work to fix it.

2. You do not have to be the best every day. You must be consistent.

You set the tone in sales. You determine the amount of work to be done. Make it easy on yourself, and everyone else, by setting reasonable expectations. You're the only one that can make the work reasonable. 50% of the people you work with don't even do that. If there's a game to play, play it, and game it.

When and if things go sideways, the company is gonna want you to blame yourself. Don't do that, either. If you have built up trust with your customers, bank on that carrying you through. If it keeps happening, find another company to work under. You'll still have work, and it'll be easier to build trust than it ever was starting out

MonkeyHate
Oct 11, 2002

Dance, monkey, dance!
Taco Defender
10 years ago I got a new boss who started having my team do a ten minute meeting every morning. Just quick around the room with only two questions - what did you do yesterday and what you doing today?

It actually helped us solve some major morale issues and got people collaborating better.

The 10 minutes was strictly enforced. Talk fast and get back to work.

Then new boss left and was replaced by someone who expanded it to an hour every day. loving waste of time.

Years go by and I get headhunted by the original manager to lead his new dysfunctional team at his new company. He starts doing the strict 10 minute standup meetings and again it makes things there better.

But then he moves to a new position and his replacement expands the morning meeting to 60-90 loving minutes. Just long stretches of time where we are all trapped in a room and everyone is silent before someone uncomfortably says something like “anyone see any good movies or anything?”

I made it about a month before I pulled the ripcord. Motherfucker walked me into the same trap twice.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
My work schedule for tomorrow is that I'm going to drive 3.5 hours to a government office in a rural community, pick up a box of network equipment that has already been decomissioned and boxed up, but that the giant telco we often subcontract for somehow can't figure out how to get the government office I'm picking it up from to just ship to them, and then drive 3.5 hours back to our office so that we can ship it to them.

It's fine by me because just driving all day listening to podcasts is a pretty stress free day for me and makes filling out my timesheets easy. But I can't help thinking it's a bit wasteful considering a taxpayer-funded organization is getting charged a full day of several times my hourly wage for this bullshit.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Lmao they're paying someone a full day plus gas to avoid $50 of postage

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

The construction company refused to negotiate on hotels so I had to turn this down. Before expenses the pay is very good.
I will enjoy summer break with my kids and increase my online freelance work.

Any bilingual goons living in Fukuoka who want to get paid to work out this summer? PM me.

peanut posted:

The international sports event (see embedded Tweet) went over budget so 5 construction supervisors + 4 interpreters during assembly → 1-2 construction supervisors + 1 interpreter during takedown.
The company doesn't want to pay for hotels any more so they want the interpreters to be local.

There is no talented local interpreter that can commit to the full 10 weeks of sorting scaffolding pipes outside in summer. We need to take turns, and that means we need a hotel for out of town staff.

https://twitter.com/fukuoka2022jp/status/1682676859903913984

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

peanut posted:

Lmao they're paying someone a full day plus gas to avoid $50 of postage

If anyone reading this works for the government of Ontario and is interested in saving probably six or seven figures at least on your annual IT budget, I have many cost-saving ideas to suggest to you and they almost all involve Telus. Ask me about patch-and-activate jobs.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Entropic posted:

If anyone reading this works for the government of Ontario and is interested in saving probably six or seven figures at least on your annual IT budget, I have many cost-saving ideas to suggest to you and they almost all involve Telus. Ask me about patch-and-activate jobs.

Please don't tell me you work for FULLY MANAGED by Telus, because they just acquired our independent IT provider and it took three people over 45 minutes to install Adobe Pro on my computer.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

McGavin posted:

Please don't tell me you work for FULLY MANAGED by Telus, because they just acquired our independent IT provider and it took three people over 45 minutes to install Adobe Pro on my computer.

lmao no we are way smaller than that, we just get subcontract jobs from Telus for places they don't have local techs of their own which is basically all of northern Ontario.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

teemolover42069 posted:

My skill set does not lend itself to remote work, I'll probably always work somewhere where I can put my hands on things, and I accept that.

But goddamn I wish every company would let every possible employee WFH. The start of COVID was basically paradise, drive anywhere without getting stuck in traffic, all the over crowded parking lots suddenly had space, less pollution! Less carbon emissions! Happier employees! It's literally better in every single conceivable way! gently caress!

Barudak posted:

Apparently there are people who don't know trying to blackmail your boss during your mid year review with data saved on your work laptop is not a good idea.

Singapore got another angel.

I had this happen to me. Fortunately the dude wasn't very good at blackmail, and 90% of the stuff was 100% in-line with company policy, and the remaining 10% was stuff that might get me a stern Teams Messaging if he told my boss.

I did not "send him to Singapore" I just told him to knock it off and that he was getting the same (bad) performance review no matter what, because I kinda respect the attitude of just telling your boss they're a piece of poo poo, worthless, and the reason for every one of your own personal failings during your performance review.

Alas, he tried the same thing with someone many levels above me, and that landed him in Singapore.

Automatic Retard
Oct 21, 2010

PUT THIS WANKSTAIN ON IGNORE
The big mining company that I work for did a software upgrade on the 2way system today, and broke it completely.
No production for over 12 hours now because no one is allowed to do anything without 2way communications.

Being paid bulk mining dollars to sit in the cribhut.

Feels good man.

Ironhead
Jan 19, 2005

Ironhead. Mmm.

Jesus gently caress. I work for a very large musical theatre company. I was informed that for our Christmas show (the money maker that lets us do weird poo poo) they only budgeted for two weeks instead of three. That just took around $100,000 out of my build budget.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

Ironhead posted:

Jesus gently caress. I work for a very large musical theatre company. I was informed that for our Christmas show (the money maker that lets us do weird poo poo) they only budgeted for two weeks instead of three. That just took around $100,000 out of my build budget.

Just pull yourself up by your bootstraps *

* I have never tried this

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

MonkeyHate posted:

10 years ago I got a new boss who started having my team do a ten minute meeting every morning. Just quick around the room with only two questions - what did you do yesterday and what you doing today?

It actually helped us solve some major morale issues and got people collaborating better.

Then new boss left and was replaced by someone who expanded it to an hour every day. loving waste of time.
Surely it's more efficient to handle post-standup "parking lot" issues by having everyone stay around to listen to two or three people bang out an issue that could be solved by themselves and then shared in an email later!!!!!!!

You've perfectly described the difference between an Agile standup done correctly and its mutation created by middle management.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
A few months ago someone posted in this thread or the Corporate thread in BFC a description of the actions an abusive boss might take. I remember reading it and the description really slapped me in the face that that is exactly what I'm going through with my boss. It was very artfully written, much more clear and cogent than anything I could put together. It contained things like excessive micromanagement, gaslighting, shifting standards that I'm always in violation of, that kind of thing. I cannot for the life of me find it despite doing my best searching. Does anyone have that post or remember what I'm talking about? I'd really like to read it again.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
+1
I'd also like to read that

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Ironhead posted:

....wouldn't the Christmas show be one of the biggest moneymakers of the year??? seeeems like a bad idea to cut off a whole WEEK of earnings....a whole 1/3.....

teemolover42069
Apr 6, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
do yall use canned music or do you still have actual pits? can't stand musical theatre that doesn't use real pits.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

MonkeyHate posted:

Years go by and I get headhunted by the original manager to lead his new dysfunctional team at his new company. He starts doing the strict 10 minute standup meetings and again it makes things there better.

But then he moves to a new position and his replacement expands the morning meeting to 60-90 loving minutes. Just long stretches of time where we are all trapped in a room and everyone is silent before someone uncomfortably says something like “anyone see any good movies or anything?”

I made it about a month before I pulled the ripcord. Motherfucker walked me into the same trap twice.

Lol dang. I legit didn’t think scrum meetings could have value until software goons explained how those are supposed to work. They became silly time long ago at my MegaCorp.

In a previous role when it was my turn to lead a meeting I was green enough to arrive early to load the presentation so the room wouldn’t watch me struggle with 2 step verification or put my email inbox on the wall, started on time, and went through the content with a focus on relevant material. Got irritated comments that only using 20 minutes for a meeting that usually goes an hour threw off people’s expectations as they didn’t want to go back to work, and helped me to understand how badly institutionalization into corporate cargo cults can mess up minds.

teemolover42069
Apr 6, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Lol dang. I legit didn’t think scrum meetings could have value until software goons explained how those are supposed to work. They became silly time long ago at my MegaCorp.

In a previous role when it was my turn to lead a meeting I was green enough to arrive early to load the presentation so the room wouldn’t watch me struggle with 2 step verification or put my email inbox on the wall, started on time, and went through the content with a focus on relevant material. Got irritated comments that only using 20 minutes for a meeting that usually goes an hour threw off people’s expectations as they didn’t want to go back to work, and helped me to understand how badly institutionalization into corporate cargo cults can mess up minds.

part of leadership training at my job is telling us that we should leave space for people to chit chat at the start of meetings and encourage it during them when we can as well because we need to find ways to build the company culture in the digital workspace, which happened naturally when we weren't fully wfh. I get what they're saying and it's nice that they're encouraging us to be social and I don't mind an opportunity to let my agents gently caress around instead of taking calls but like. it's just so corny to try to do on purpose

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
My boss and I can’t go on vacation at the same time because my bosses boss can’t do both of our jobs but my bosses boss and my boss can go on vacation at the same time because they believe I can do all three of our jobs.

Which isn’t entirely wrong since at least half my job is managing them.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

teemolover42069 posted:

part of leadership training at my job is telling us that we should leave space for people to chit chat at the start of meetings and encourage it during them when we can as well because we need to find ways to build the company culture in the digital workspace, which happened naturally when we weren't fully wfh. I get what they're saying and it's nice that they're encouraging us to be social and I don't mind an opportunity to let my agents gently caress around instead of taking calls but like. it's just so corny to try to do on purpose

That’s fair, a bit of chit chat is good but most of my experience is poorly led meetings where hearing about Disney plans can stretch for 20+ minutes, and its not culturally acceptable for me to politely excuse myself to get back to my desk.

On another note, currently in interview process for dept & one candidate is overwhelmingly the favorite as they were previously on the team and everyone likes them, and they were one of our best workers & a quick learner, who only left for an out of state move. Unfortunately the other applicants don’t know this, and my suggestion to try to minimize interviews with those who through no fault of their own have zero chance has been ignored. Considering last time we did that it led to worse relations with other teams who had gotten their hopes up, feels like not a great plan.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

My boss and I can’t go on vacation at the same time because my bosses boss can’t do both of our jobs but my bosses boss and my boss can go on vacation at the same time because they believe I can do all three of our jobs.

Sounds like your paycheck is only 1/3 its correct size.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

Send this

Dameius posted:

Sounds like your paycheck is only 1/3 its correct size.

And this to your bosses bosses boss.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

teemolover42069 posted:

do yall use canned music or do you still have actual pits? can't stand musical theatre that doesn't use real pits.

Never go to any musical theatre that's afraid to open that loving pit up :rock:

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
Boomer coworker came into my office to rant about how no one is helping him out. He called them a bunch of Democrats.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Outrail posted:

Send this

And this to your bosses bosses boss.

Yeah the three up (and four up) keeps trying to promote me so they get it but the problem is I don’t want to/can’t move, and I would have to to take any of the promotions they’ve dangled in front of me.

Plus I don’t need more money I need fewer headaches. Moving up would be more headaches. So that’s why I’m trying to leave the manufacturing industry.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
The project I'm working is 4 years late and I'm a month away from our first real build and my customer is pissed off that we didn't start the build 2 weeks ago.

My brother in christ, the first step is an inseparable assembly of 2 circuit cards, a $15k sensor, and a metal housing into a pound of potting material. We can eat a month to make sure we do it right.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I know you mean epoxy or w/e potting compound, but I really want it to be sunk into a nice rich compost.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

goatface posted:

I know you mean epoxy or w/e potting compound, but I really want it to be sunk into a nice rich compost.

drat you! I was having fun in my confusion.

Always wondered how vape cartridges were grown.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

goatface posted:

It's a complex chemical sensor, hydrometer, ph probe, and root health detector, only the finest potting material can be used for calibration.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

It's a complex chemical sensor, hydrometer, ph probe, and root health detector, only the finest potting material can be used for calibration.

Nah.

Audiophile bullshit, 100%. It's a complex grounding device with built-in level meter. That'll be $120,000 per channel, please.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Close, CO2 sensor.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

The project I'm working is 4 years late and I'm a month away from our first real build and my customer is pissed off that we didn't start the build 2 weeks ago.

My brother in christ, the first step is an inseparable assembly of 2 circuit cards, a $15k sensor, and a metal housing into a pound of potting material. We can eat a month to make sure we do it right.

Sounds like someone's eaten 48.5 months and is getting full.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

Lol yeah that sounds like one of my clients. Takes 3 months to give us feedback on a few experiments, expects adjusted and new results within a single week :fuckoff:

Ironhead
Jan 19, 2005

Ironhead. Mmm.

StrangersInTheNight posted:

....wouldn't the Christmas show be one of the biggest moneymakers of the year??? seeeems like a bad idea to cut off a whole WEEK of earnings....a whole 1/3.....

Yeah, it is, and we are doing three weeks of shows. But they only budgeted for two weeks of labor. We've already sold tickets for the third week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Ironhead posted:

Yeah, it is, and we are doing three weeks of shows. But they only budgeted for two weeks of labor. We've already sold tickets for the third week.

Easy solve, just don't show up on day 15?