Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lathespin.gif
May 19, 2005
Pillbug
Home Depot will probably take a return for store credit at least, if that box # is in the system? :shrug:

Lathespin.gif fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Aug 3, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Okay thread: friend who needs to clean their grill, maybe wash a slate path or a stained deck if it's not too dirty. Gas is right out because it's something that will get used 2 to 4 times a year and they will not/will not be able to maintain it. The battery system is yellow, but that's likely irrelevant as that have 120v outlets where they need to use it.

Do we harbor freight this guy? Is there something worth buying if we pretend he's gonna drain it properly and not destroy the pump the very first time it freezes every year?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Just harbor freight it. Mines been a champ for the 5 times a year I use it. The model is... Blue? Who knows it was the cheapest one they had 5 years ago.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

H110Hawk posted:

Just harbor freight it. Mines been a champ for the 5 times a year I use it. The model is... Blue? Who knows it was the cheapest one they had 5 years ago.

Models are different but all like 1.2/1.3 GPM with various claimed pressures between 1700 and 2300. None of it is meaningful if they just do the thing. You def don't want to try to clean siding with one of them, but a grill or a path? Yeah, I bet that's just fine.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Motronic posted:

Okay thread: friend who needs to clean their grill, maybe wash a slate path or a stained deck if it's not too dirty. Gas is right out because it's something that will get used 2 to 4 times a year and they will not/will not be able to maintain it. The battery system is yellow, but that's likely irrelevant as that have 120v outlets where they need to use it.

Do we harbor freight this guy? Is there something worth buying if we pretend he's gonna drain it properly and not destroy the pump the very first time it freezes every year?

These make it absurdly easy to winterize things:
https://www.amazon.com/STA-BIL-Pressure-Washer-Protector-Lubricant/dp/B00NEG6KVU

Just screw it into the hose connector, press button until foam comes out the output, and you're done.

I just do it every time I put the pressure washer away.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Motronic posted:

Models are different but all like 1.2/1.3 GPM with various claimed pressures between 1700 and 2300. None of it is meaningful if they just do the thing. You def don't want to try to clean siding with one of them, but a grill or a path? Yeah, I bet that's just fine.

I believe that's what I said, blue. :v: I think the sticker on it says 1700. I don't know or care. It cleans my bird bath like you wouldn't believe. Same with the kiddie pool. Hadn't tried the grill... that seems like it would make a mess. I think after coupon and tax it was like $73. I used it to blast pollen/pollution/dust/dirt off the side of my house before I painted, worked well enough. But it's also just dirty stucco, not mildewed siding or whatever. Good enough was the name of the game.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

I'm building a deck. And it's a big job. I should start a thread, maybe I will.

But... I have found limits to my impact tools and can share that info.

I've been using a lot of GRK RSS structural screws. In order:

My M12 Fuel Surge small impact driver (one of my favorite tools, super versatile and capable) can drive the 3 1/4" screws with no issues over and over. It struggles with 6" screws and ultimately can't fully seat them.

My Bosch Mid-torque Core 18V driver can sink the 6" screws with no issue. It can also sink 2 10" screws. I don't know if it was heat or what, but it wouldn't drive more than 1/2 way in even with a fresh battery after the 2 10"ers.

For the rest of the 10" screws, I needed to use my M18 high torque 1000ft/lb driver. It is way more than capable. It drives the 10" screws over and over with no issues on power setting 2 out of 3.

I rely on my M12, so it's interesting to see what it's real limits are. Actually, it will handle almost anything in the DIY / household hobby and work sphere.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
Did you wax the screws?

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

meatpimp posted:

I'm building a deck. And it's a big job. I should start a thread, maybe I will.

But... I have found limits to my impact tools and can share that info.

I've been using a lot of GRK RSS structural screws. In order:

My M12 Fuel Surge small impact driver (one of my favorite tools, super versatile and capable) can drive the 3 1/4" screws with no issues over and over. It struggles with 6" screws and ultimately can't fully seat them.

My Bosch Mid-torque Core 18V driver can sink the 6" screws with no issue. It can also sink 2 10" screws. I don't know if it was heat or what, but it wouldn't drive more than 1/2 way in even with a fresh battery after the 2 10"ers.

For the rest of the 10" screws, I needed to use my M18 high torque 1000ft/lb driver. It is way more than capable. It drives the 10" screws over and over with no issues on power setting 2 out of 3.

I rely on my M12, so it's interesting to see what it's real limits are. Actually, it will handle almost anything in the DIY / household hobby and work sphere.

If you're into 10" screws, better call Clarence (long dong Silver) Thomas. I built some massive decks and never needed 10" screws. That would almost definitely call for countersinking, even given you're using softwood. Oh wait, it's you, you're Long Dong Silver bragging on your M18.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Mr. Mambold posted:

If you're into 10" screws, better call Clarence (long dong Silver) Thomas. I built some massive decks and never needed 10" screws. That would almost definitely call for countersinking, even given you're using softwood. Oh wait, it's you, you're Long Dong Silver bragging on your M18.

Haha, no the deck itself doesn't need anything that big, I'm using the 10" for lagging the top plates to the posts for the 24'x12' gable roof covered section.

deimos posted:

Did you wax the screws?

Nope, I've never seen anyone wax a structural screw. I think it just gets to a point of driving so much threaded length at once, it just needs a lot of rear end.

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Aug 5, 2023

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

meatpimp posted:

Haha, no the deck itself doesn't need anything that big, I'm using the 10" for lagging the top plates to the posts for the 24'x12' gable roof covered section.

Nope, I've never seen anyone wax a structural screw. I think it just gets to a point of driving so much threaded length at once, it just needs a lot of rear end.

You'd be amazed at how much rear end a little bit of lube can move

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Shoutout to everyone that's recommended the WEN drywall sander over the years. I bought one for my small closet project and even with a project that small it's worth it. Works as fast as you want it to and with virtually no dust. My only complaint is it has like a 15 pound trigger pull on it and I can't figure out a way to lock it on.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Compared to a "real" one it also runs about twice as fast as it should on its lowest setting. But I'm not complaining for the price.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird
I want to buy a corded angle grinder. what do you look for when buying one?

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

HolHorsejob posted:

That it uses standard discs. Jesus Christ that Bosch looks like such a nice tool until you realize it has a proprietary connection for discs.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

HolHorsejob posted:

Start here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5z47EWoqvJ8

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
New SawStop Altendorf just dropped:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hfWs9LTzNE

It's not really a SawStop killer, at least not yet. This model is purely a commercial machine and costs $35k.

One of the instructors at my makerspace (a former SawStop salesman) was at an event where this was shown. He actually took them up on a "try to grab the blade" part of the demo. His hands are intact so... guess it worked!

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Youtube stupid expression thumbnail is a plague, don't click on those.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
I'm sorry for posting it, your refund check is in the mail.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Thanks.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Motronic posted:

Compared to a "real" one it also runs about twice as fast as it should on its lowest setting. But I'm not complaining for the price.

Yeah I'm very happy with it. I'm using it with the 400 grit pads to additionally slow it down. Can't complain for the $90 or whatever it cost.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I use the angle grinders that I got in a two-pack and the third one that someone left in my shop :smugdog:

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

meatpimp posted:

Pics when you're done, pls. I built one with 4x8" r. cedar posts on the perimeter, but I never used anything that long.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

HolHorsejob posted:

Look for a deal where you can get two.
Then get two of them. So like that means four total.

One with cut off wheel,
one with grinding disc
One with flap disc
One with wire brush attachment

Actually get three of those deals so you have 6 total.

One of the wire wheels should be a flat wheel, while the other wheel is cup shaped.

The sixth is your spare.

Trust me, if you're doing a bunch of metal poo poo, you will save much time not having to change discs going from one thing to another

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird

Ambassadorofsodomy posted:

Look for a deal where you can get two.
Then get two of them. So like that means four total.

One with cut off wheel,
one with grinding disc
One with flap disc
One with wire brush attachment

Actually get three of those deals so you have 6 total.

One of the wire wheels should be a flat wheel, while the other wheel is cup shaped.

The sixth is your spare.

Trust me, if you're doing a bunch of metal poo poo, you will save much time not having to change discs going from one thing to another

OK I grabbed a bunch, but I figured for the money I might as well get a few extra for travel/loaner/in case I lose one or two

MrPete
May 17, 2007

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Sigh. We moved two years ago, and I've been trying to find my good Fiskars shears ever since. Well, today I found them ... in a box that had gotten soaked. :(

I can obviously replace them, but these were gifts from my husband over the years and are precious. How would you suggest restoring them to function?

Quite behind the times in catching up with my forums reading but just wanted to say those felco pruners should have all the important bits available as spare parts. Everything else would work great in the evaporust as people mentioned

https://felco.com/en_us/spareparts

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

withak posted:

Youtube stupid expression thumbnail is a plague, don't click on those.

The Algorithm demands the stupid thumbnail face

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
If everyone agrees not to click then The Algorithm will soon sing a different tune.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Evapo Rust FAQ posted:

How does Evapo-Rust work?
Unlike other rust removers that use some type of acid to remove rust, Evapo-Rust works without acid. It will not attack the base metal, and it is safe to use. Evapo-Rust works through selective chelation. This is a process in which a large synthetic molecule forms a bond with metals and holds them in solution. Most chelating agents bind many different metals. The active ingredient in Evapo-Rust bonds to exclusively to iron. It will remove iron from iron oxide but is too weak to remove iron from steel where the iron is held much more strongly. Once the chelating agent has removed the iron, a sulfur bearing organic molecule pulls the iron away from the chelator and forms a ferric sulfate complex which remains water soluble. This frees the chelating agent to remove more iron from rust.

This reminds me of the way aqua regia dissolves gold.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

withak posted:

If everyone agrees not to click then The Algorithm will soon sing a different tune.

If you ever browse YouTube incognito and not logged in you’ll see how little chance you have against the billions of old people and 13 year olds click click clicking mr beast vids and try not to laugh compilations

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
You can’t tell me what to do.

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder
the only good youtuber https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8mBhOErYvE

I could listen to them for days

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

fins posted:

This is great, subscribed. There's some great home, sub $1000 PIM builds from the past few years. Posted another one I sub'd to below.

Also this dude's black Louisiana/Mississippi accent is totally different than any 3D printing\technical manufacturing video I've seen. Its the magic of youtube that people from any background share knowledge with people who have different life paths to the same shared interest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_a7usMe_K38

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I feel like that guy should be offering me some jambalaya.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

fins posted:

https://youtu.be/2UoHb0ziMDA

https://youtu.be/3aCMTpJx2cs

https://youtu.be/QHi479xN_po

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

CarForumPoster posted:

This is great, subscribed. There's some great home, sub $1000 PIM builds from the past few years. Posted another one I sub'd to below.

Also this dude's black Louisiana/Mississippi accent is totally different than any 3D printing\technical manufacturing video I've seen. Its the magic of youtube that people from any background share knowledge with people who have different life paths to the same shared interest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_a7usMe_K38

I love it, it seems like an old new orleans accent and reminds me of listening to my maternal grandparents. More famous person with that same one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CmtUCB_hDg&t=42s

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Your Friendly Neighborhood Gun Nut
Anyone have any experience cutting down track saw guide rails? Ordered a 2nd 55" track and plan to cut it down to about 36" as a general purpose track for most cuts, and then put the remaining 19" onto my existing 55" to give a little extra breathing room for 4' plywood (55" track is juuuuuust too short), and be able to break down a 5x5 sheet if I ever use those. On the rare occasion I need to do a full rip on an 8' sheet I can just connect them all.

Question being, what do you guys typically do for that? They are just aluminum so I imagine should be pretty easy to do, just curious how you went about that.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
I haven't done it but I'd use a bandsaw.

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Your Friendly Neighborhood Gun Nut
Had the same thought, but don't have enough cross cut capacity to cut off a 16"+ section.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
Comedy option: Just use the track saw.

Sliding mitre saw would be my go to assuming its just aluminum.

If it lays flat, your crosscut sled can support it, and you are sure it is only aluminum, then tablesaw can do it.