Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

I keep getting momentarily outraged when I see people say 'Outer Worlds was bad', because I keep confusing it and Outer Wilds...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

My trick to dealing with the piercing gaze of Bethesda Character was to lock my eyes to the subtitles. Works every time

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

I keep getting momentarily outraged when I see people say 'Outer Worlds was bad', because I keep confusing it and Outer Wilds...
particularly funny threads tend to have mods/iks that edit posts stating one game into the other one

try your luck in the Imp Zone!

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

I actually hated boring Outer Wilds, and I loved Outer Worlds by Obsidian. Can't wait for Outer Worlds 2!

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Chillmatic posted:

People have no idea how difficult this loving camera angle makes it to pay attention to what people are saying.

Every digital character’s eyes look dead when you’re one foot away dead-center. This wasn’t a huge problem back when the character models were terrible, like in the oblivion days. But as faces start looking more realistic, that idiot camera zoom starts to look more and more uncanny.

A true recipe for success. :downs:

Otoh the dynamic camera in FO4 meant everybody was always doing pirouettes and twisting their neck to the breaking point as they were trying to figure out how to face the PC.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

somehow it mostly works ok in skyrim. they're still staring at you, but since theres no zoom its not that weird

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

MH Knights posted:

When Outer Worlds is like $20 I will buy it.

It's under $20 basically everywhere

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
I agree that the Outer Worlds was a solid title, and way better than its reputation. Last month the edition with all DLC was in the Humble Choice bundle. You might be able to buy that edition extra cheap from someone who didn't want it.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

MH Knights posted:

When Outer Worlds is like $20 I will buy it.

I can't recall forum rules on grey market sites, but if you were to google like... Keys? The ones that were used when games still came on CDs. Those. And the name of a game, you might find it available for around $12.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
I thought Outer Worlds was really dull and was completely overhyped when it first came out.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I enjoyed Outer Worlds 1 for the first 1/3rd then it fell off a cliff. Finished it, was okay. Never touched again. Hope Outer Worlds 2 is better but much like 1 I will only be grabbing on a sale.

Starfield? I'm going to follow of course but not purchase or touch until its been out for several months to work out all the Todd Howards.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Yes the first planet was tolerable when I saw it as an introduction zone that would lead to a more fleshed out game. Then I realized it was by far the most detailed and engaging part of the whole thing, lol

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

John F Bennett posted:

Looks like Starfield will be a 'Play Anywhere' title, so it should have cross-saves between PC and Xbox if you're on game pass.

https://twitter.com/StarfieldNews/status/1686324344102756353?s=20

Maybe it’s me, but I thought this was confirmed back in June.

Anyway just to check, ‘Play Anywhere’ means cross-buy as well as cross-save, right?

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i finished outer worlds when gamepass first did the $1 for a year subscription thing, and don't remember much of it except that i really liked Max and did all of his story quests culminating in his vision quest. i barely even remember the other companions. hell, the moon man is more memorable than most of them.

the setting was ok, but they really hit you over the head with the dystopian capitalist hellscape jokes. i think the humor would've worked better if they'd been a bit more subtle about it.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
If I wanted to be mean, I’d say much of its writing is closer to Borderlands than New Vegas

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
never understood why NV is this peak of videogame storytelling. It was an improvement on fallout 3 certainly, which is what expansion packs generally do.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

The Fallout Nerd War rages eternal

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

New Vegas might have some of the best writing in video games but I will never know because the rest of the game sucks so much balls that I can’t stand to play it. I finished Fallout 3 when that came out and ran out of patience for it’s terrible mechanics.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Tankbuster posted:

never understood why NV is this peak of videogame storytelling. It was an improvement on fallout 3 certainly, which is what expansion packs generally do.

It wasn't an expansion pack at all? It was a stand alone game that didn't require the original to play?

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Aphex- posted:

I thought Outer Worlds was really dull and was completely overhyped when it first came out.

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

always seeking to survive and flourish
I confess that i can’t wait for the inevitable internet hype-meltdown after this comes out

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Bethesda employees have already leaked that Starfield is built on the Fallout 3 engine.

Expect lots of jank and lovely animations with very nice modern textures and lighting.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Tankbuster posted:

Lol expansion pack. It was a separate game made by the people who actually make Fallouts.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

BitBasher posted:

It wasn't an expansion pack at all? It was a stand alone game that didn't require the original to play?

I'm afraid it was supposed to be something the kids today call "an own"

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual

smoobles posted:

Bethesda employees have already leaked that Starfield is built on the Fallout 3 engine.

Expect lots of jank and lovely animations with very nice modern textures and lighting.

And Unreal was developed in the same game engine as Unreal Tournament AND Unreal Tournament

Developers these days!

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

out of the many many things gamers have ascribed to game engines, animations is a new one. congrats

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

To be fair the way animations are handled/played/blended is a feature of a game engine not whatever modelling softweare was used to create them.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I have literally punched a person--a complete stranger at that--for suggesting New Vegas wasn't ten times the game that Fallout 3 was.

It served them right, they were too young to be playing the game any way.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I like the implication that it would take a leak for someone to know that the creation engine is based on gamebryo.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Did you know that Call of Duty still runs on the Quake 3 engine.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I've heard that Starfield is made to run on CPUs with the same instruction set as the ones that ran Wolfenstein 3d! Disgraceful!

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

steinrokkan posted:

I've heard that Starfield is made to run on CPUs with the same instruction set as the ones that ran Wolfenstein 3d! Disgraceful!
That does sort of bring up a vaguely interesting thing; what's the micro-architectural optimizations used for video games nowadays?

I assume they use indirect functions to enable vector processing on CPUs that support it, but beyond that any modern processor is bound to have the various kinds of SIMD instructions that were big once upon a time.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

AirRaid posted:

Did you know that Call of Duty still runs on the Quake 3 engine.

I knew there was a reason I don't like that franchise!

drat Strogg making such a stupid engine and/or franchise!!!

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

If you look hard enough in the trailers you can see the little running legs of the model that is wearing the ship as a hat

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

That does sort of bring up a vaguely interesting thing; what's the micro-architectural optimizations used for video games nowadays?

I assume they use indirect functions to enable vector processing on CPUs that support it, but beyond that any modern processor is bound to have the various kinds of SIMD instructions that were big once upon a time.

You pick a minimum spec and that's your compile target

Nyan Bread
Mar 17, 2006

This space-themed technical test is gonna iron out so many kinks in their new engine just in time for the TESVI exclusive on nextgen XB.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Bet we're getting boats in TESVI

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

but with the theme song of Morrowind playing in the background

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Khanstant posted:

Lol expansion pack. It was a separate game made by the people who actually make Fallouts.

it was a standalone expansion. Like dawn of war 1, or those Starcraft 2 expansions that were also standalone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I have literally punched a person--a complete stranger at that--for suggesting New Vegas wasn't ten times the game that Fallout 3 was.

It served them right, they were too young to be playing the game any way.

it crashed a lot more often for me but I got to be a cowboy with a laser rifle which was a cooler concept than anything in fallout 3.