Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Rosario dawson gets paid, disney gets screwed and star wars stops getting made? don't twist my arm or anything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
The captain america comics where Steve Rogers gets booted and they replaced him with dollar store cap were really good. Replacement cap was kinda chuddy but had a black best friend. And then his parents get killed semi accidentally by a right wing group and he goes nuts and brutally murders them all, bad optics for captain america!

I could not believe how badly the falcon and winter soldier show hosed up that storyline.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

brutally murdering a right wing group sounds good to me

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

There have been rumors for a long time that they were going to use Ashoka to reboot the franchise. So who knows?

But Disney doesn’t really have any other way out at this point. SW is in a tailspin, and they can’t get another movie off the ground because the ST setup absolutely nothing, and they can’t figure out any plot or setting that would actually get people into a theater to see it. No one wants to watch a Rey and broom-boy team up.

Though a rebooted ST would probably be as bad as the original just in new ways. They’d drag back Hamil and maybe even Ford as a jumping off point and just wind up remaking ANH again.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
i don't understand, at the end of the last movie rey embraced her skywalker heritage (?) which surely must be the beginning of something amazing

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

This is really half baked but I think it’s because SW can’t have its cake and eat it too.

Off the top of my head, successful 6+ movie franchises are - based on established book series (Harry Potter), serialized adventures (MI, basically the MCU), total schlock (Fast and Furious), or complete poo poo (Alien)

Star Wars wants to be this high-brow, meaningful storytelling with intriguing characters and worlds and powerful real-world messages but doesn’t want to put any of the legwork in to actually think how that would progress over multiple movies. Each entry mostly just circles one of the above categories and sometimes doesn’t suck but its usually an Ill-fitting mess.

Someone has to actually think about what ground they want to cover and how they do that and then figure out how that feeds the marketing beast of books, toys, clothes, video games, etc. Here’s a hint - it’s impossible and so it will always be a shambling mess propelled purely by inertia and occasionally boosted by a good project every now and then

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

colonelwest posted:

I never knew Agatha Christy was part of the MCU and a witch?

Also I thought dollar store Captain America was supposed to just be a joke, and Anthony Mackie was supposed to replace him?

He was obviously going to end up being U.S.Agent.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Quantum of Phallus posted:

brutally murdering a right wing group sounds good to me

Disney being too chickenshit again smh

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
star wars should stop trying to be high brow

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
"I know thee not, old man. fall to thy prayers. how ill white hair becomes a fool and jester... I long have dreamt, but being awake, I do despise my dream. presume not that I am the thing I was. for God doth know, and so shall the world perceive, that I have turned away my former self."
- me when there's a new star wars

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Crazyweasel posted:

Star Wars wants to be this high-brow, meaningful storytelling with intriguing characters and worlds and powerful real-world messages but doesn’t want to put any of the legwork in to actually think how that would progress over multiple movies. Each entry mostly just circles one of the above categories and sometimes doesn’t suck but its usually an Ill-fitting mess.

This is true, but I think the biggest problem will always be right there in the name: Wars. If anybody makes a movie or tv show without some sort of large scale war going on in the backdrop, you get a ton of nerds saying it doesn't feel like star wars. Add in that the series also can't run away from people with force powers being the center of everything, and you have a series that can never change itself enough to move on. At least with star trek they can throw in a war here and there but overall focus on a wide variety of stuff.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Alan Smithee posted:

what about bollywood tho

The biggest stars are a small group of men between the ages of 40 and 60. Their co-stars are a constantly rotating cast of 18-25 year old women (one in a dozen will get some staying power and, at 30, play the mother of her former co-star's love interest). What's your gut feeling?

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Original trilogy star wars grew as a form of secular religion or shared myth or whatever you want to call it and trying to parley that into the commercial needs of A Modern Brand was inevitably going to cause epistemic collapse. Well that's the only post I've got and I will either make it another 1000 times in 1000 different forms, or vanish into mexico

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

Pham Nuwen posted:

The biggest stars are a small group of men between the ages of 40 and 60. Their co-stars are a constantly rotating cast of 18-25 year old women (one in a dozen will get some staying power and, at 30, play the mother of her former co-star's love interest). What's your gut feeling?

I can only name two indian actress and both of them were miss india winners

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 34 minutes!
I wonder if there are still any dudes out there earnestly identifying their religion as Jedi

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I was recommended nimona on netflix

- it's bad
- started life as a blue sky studios production (of ice age fame) and it shows
- the main character is gay. he kisses his lover and they say I love you to each other. annapurna and netflix picked it up after disney obviously dropped it
- the deuteragonist is a thousand year old redheaded dragon shapeshifter girl
- seriously it's bad. the dialogue is "xD rawr glomp random" and "say thing, yell same thing, yell same thing louder = funny." it's like rwby but less interesting at every level

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

It looks medieval but they have cyber swords and he has a robot arm.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

kalel posted:

- the main character is gay. he kisses his lover and they say I love you to each other.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

The comic that the Netflix film is based on is really good. The actual story and point of the book is wildly different than the movie almost to the point where I can't figure out how the movie got made.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Honestly I'm not sure if it was the best idea george had or the worst to let star wars sit for 15 years after the OT. On the one hand doing it that way let it rarefy into myth. On the other hand if they had kept making them the transition into trash would have probably been much less traumatic for everyone

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

kalel posted:

netflix

- it's bad

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I had only heard of that Nimona movie from Kermode, who liked it a lot.

I still haven’t bothered watching it and my kids were not interested.

BronsonBone
Aug 5, 2023

by vyelkin

Assepoester posted:

Starting to think that a Sound of Freedom movie should be made about the people who made Sound of Freedom.

Fabian Marta, who funded the movie “Sound of Freedom,” has been arrested for Felony Child Kidnapping by the Saint Louis police department.

Fabian was charged for removing a non-family member below 14-years old without parent’s consent, without informing them, and and confining them.

According to Section 565.115 in Missouri, acts of confining a child is a class-A felony.

Actually the tweet, got some context to it now saying that he only funded the movie a little bit out of 6,600 funders, so yeah at least you tried on that front.

(USER WAS PERMABANNED FOR THIS POST)

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

BronsonBone posted:

Actually the tweet, got some context to it now saying that he only funded the movie a little bit out of 6,600 funders, so yeah at least you tried on that front.
Hey he's still one of 6,600 people who funded the movie out of 8 billion people who did not, it's a pretty exclusive club all things considered

I keep telling everyone that they already wrote themselves a Star Wars timeline split due to the time travel in Rebels, and they're gonna use it someday, well here we are

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Aug 5, 2023

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

blows my mind how there’s a deranged transphobe who spends literally hundreds of dollars specifically to post twitter embeds in this thread . just send me the money instead

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

BronsonBone posted:

Fart

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

given their obvious deep pockets and deep hate, absolute 100% chance that Dr*ft*ngm**s* is an exec on the sound of freedom

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Assepoester posted:

Hey he's still one of 6,600 people who funded the movie out of 8 billion people who did not, it's a pretty exclusive club all things considered

I keep telling everyone that they already wrote themselves a Star Wars timeline split due to the time travel in Rebels, and they're gonna use it someday, well here we are

There was time travel in the Star Wars cartoon?

Cubone
May 26, 2011

two pedophiles is a lot

Cubone
May 26, 2011

I don't think I've ever met that many in my life

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

priznat posted:

I had only heard of that Nimona movie from Kermode, who liked it a lot.

christ, really? I guess if you don't watch too much animation you might be too distracted by the not-cal-arts art style to realize how bad it is

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Gripweed posted:

There was time travel in the Star Wars cartoon?
Yep

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIF0DeBjOsQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZR0X4Sk3Mw

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

kalel posted:

christ, really? I guess if you don't watch too much animation you might be too distracted by the not-cal-arts art style to realize how bad it is

Yeah he really liked the characters and voice work, especially Riz Ahmed.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

OK I'm not watching those videos but lol.

The driving creative force behind the entire Star Wars franchise is the guy who did the Clone Wars cartoons. It's like if when Disney bought Star Wars and set out to make the Sequel Trilogy they had just been like, "OK, Kevin J Anderson, it's all yours. Go for it"

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Gripweed posted:

The driving creative force behind the entire Star Wars franchise is the guy who did the Clone Wars cartoons. It's like if when Disney bought Star Wars and set out to make the Sequel Trilogy they had just been like, "OK, Kevin J Anderson, it's all yours. Go for it"

Filoni’s heart is probably in the right place, but he’s often too lost in the weeds of very specific lore to be able to tell a good overarching story. But then there’s the whole Disney made by committee system that seems to suck every last bit of creativity out of every single project plus Kathy Kennedy and Bob Iger throwing their weight around, so who knows who is really to blame?

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Star Wars was doomed the moment they added "Episode IV" onto the first movie. From that point on, they were eventually going to have to make a prequel trilogy and there clearly wasn't enough material for it. And now it's pointless trilogies all the way down.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Reminder that the future plans for star wars are to set new movies and tv shows across five different points in a timeline spanning a thousand years.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
Can it possibly get any worse? Give cartoon guy a shot at this point. Who cares?

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

priznat posted:

Yeah he really liked the characters and voice work, especially Riz Ahmed.

I thought moretz was more the stand out tbh, she has some surprising vo chops. I barely registered ahmed at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Gripweed posted:

If KJA got the sequel trilogy we'd have gotten gelatinous blob races instead of the stupid space horse races in Last Jedi.