Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Kobeni's gimmick is that whatever contract she has, she's so afraid of what it can do that it just makes it even stronger.

I still think it's the Success Devil.

Because that's a mood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

PringleCreamEgg posted:

I saw someone online say that Kobeni is just a courage the cowardly dog gijinka and I thought that was pretty funny.

Also it will be very funny when Kobeni gets dragged into Denji and Asa’s nonsense again somehow.

There's a good chance that one panel of Kobeni's brother is the most we'll ever see of her. Part 2 has been pretty stingy about bringing back characters from Part 1.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Ranzear posted:

Kobeni's gimmick is that whatever contract she has, she's so afraid of what it can do that it just makes it even stronger.

I still think it's the Success Devil.

Because that's a mood.

that would own

Giggy
Jan 22, 2010

chiasaur11 posted:

She was, though. She was actively plotting to murder him, just like everyone else. Denji assuming she was different was, in fact, an unearned compliment.

It was Asa, not Yoru, who picked Denji out as the guy to kill. Asa, not Yoru, who was insulting him and ordering him around. And Asa, not Yoru, who insulted him to the point of mental trauma while he was risking his life to save hers.

Sure, she changed her mind on the killing thing, but Reze and Power did that first. Asa's only different in that she's aggressively lovely towards Denji even outside of plots to steal Chainsaw's heart.

She did it under direct threat of a devil possessing her so no not really. Asa didn't insult Denji into mental trauma because she disagreed with his horniness. I kinda disagreed with your view of their relationship but now I'm starting to think your perception of Asa is just wrong.

Giggy fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Aug 6, 2023

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Giggy posted:

She did it under direct threat of a devil possessing her so no not really. Asa didn't insult Denji into mental trauma because she disagreed with his horniness. I kinda disagreed with your view of their relationship but now I'm starting to think your perception of Asa is just wrong.

She was told to kill someone. Even an animal was fine in Yoru's book, as long as Asa felt guilty. Asa was the one who picked Denji specifically.

It's not even like that's unique to Asa. Kobeni and Himeno only tried to kill him due to direct threat from a devil, and Reze wanted to bring him in alive, with her actions against him being forced due to her whole slave soldier for the Soviets thing. Asa plotted to kill him, placed him in a position for Yoru to murder him, and then went on to get things in a position for Yoru to try again. That's the same thing as every other girl, with the only reason I can see to treat it as different being to push Asa and Denji as having something unique.

Then again, your view of Asa says she didn't insult him into mental trauma, when that's the thing that shot them both right into hell ("NO WOMAN IN EXISTENCE WOULD WANT 10 HAVE SEX WITH A Guy WITH A CHAINSAW STICKING OUT OF HIS HEAD!"), so yes, I do think we're coming at this from very different angles.

Giggy
Jan 22, 2010
I mean no good woman would want to have sex with a guy with chainsaws coming out of their head. That's just the truth lmao.

That isn't an insult.

I think the different angle is this is largely a comedy manga and Denji and Asa are both morons.

Giggy fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Aug 6, 2023

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Asa is wrong about that but it is an understandable position that we shouldn't condemn her for.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

also it's asa's part of the manga, and her difficulty relating to people, which stems partly from her own abrasiveness, is clearly an important part of her character arc and something she's going to learn (or fail, but that seems unlikely) to overcome. "who's right for denji" isn't really a core concern at the moment, while "can asa learn to connect to another person despite her terribly depressing past" is

also it's funny when she tells him no one would have sex with a man with a chainsaw coming out of his head and it immediately sends them both to hell.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

I feel like in the people in the CSM universe would see Devil-coerced murder as a caught between a rock and a hard place situation. Like it's still bad but also "whatcha gonna do, devils suck and most are powerless against them"

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Valentin posted:

also it's asa's part of the manga, and her difficulty relating to people, which stems partly from her own abrasiveness, is clearly an important part of her character arc and something she's going to learn (or fail, but that seems unlikely) to overcome. "who's right for denji" isn't really a core concern at the moment, while "can asa learn to connect to another person despite her terribly depressing past" is

also it's funny when she tells him no one would have sex with a man with a chainsaw coming out of his head and it immediately sends them both to hell.

I mean, we've got an answer to that question already. She and Yuko were friends and made a real connection, in pretty much no time. Even ignoring that we've seen people with similarly bad or worse pasts manage (Asa's past is rough, but she'd go broke trying to play misery poker in this series), there's no question if Asa can make real connections. It's only a question if anyone she connects to will survive.

And the Denji part matters because he's more and more the coprotagonist of the series as it goes. Whole plotlines that have nothing to do with Asa are happening to him, and he's gotten more and more focus as part 2 goes on. How a relationship with Asa would impact him matters about as much as how it would impact her, and so far, it seems like it'd just be another pile of poo poo in his already lovely life, rather than being a Dark Knight Rises style incentive to quit of the sort that Fujimoto talked about in pre part 2 interviews.

For all that people talk about Denji-centric viewpoints, at the moment it feels like the argument for Denji and Asa's relationship is mainly about how it'll benefit Asa (or just that they're the two leads, so they should hook up) rather than how it specifically is good for Denji.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I guess Denji likes hurting other people

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Shoehead posted:

I guess Denji likes hurting other people

The chapter's apparently more of an Old Boy reference, between the fight and the eating an octopus. Fujimoto's gone on record as saying he doesn't really play video games anyway, if I remember right. Takes away valuable movie time.

(Oldboy being the specific reference does inspire some obvious jokes, but it's probably nothing.)

chiasaur11 fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Aug 7, 2023

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

chiasaur11 posted:

The chapter's apparently more of an Old Boy reference, between the fight and the eating an octopus. Fujimoto's gone on record as saying he doesn't really play video games anyway, if I remember right. Takes away valuable movie time.

(Oldboy being the specific reference does inspire some obvious jokes, but it's probably nothing.)

fixed your link :shobon:

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

this thread always has the best timing lol

Warden
Jan 16, 2020
Re: Cha 138.

Uh, Denji's still a minor, right?

copy
Jul 26, 2007

lol more and more chapters just ending with denji exhausted by losers

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Oh! Denji might not remember that guy but I just did a reread and I do!

I guess the others are back too.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
wait people could see Yoru's scars this whole time? Yoshida, my man, your clout is vanishing quickly here

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

maybe chainsaw man ate the smart people devil

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

excited to learn more about the other hybrids. Also bring back Quanxi

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Warden posted:

Re: Cha 138.

Uh, Denji's still a minor, right?

At this point, girls who want to kill him and groomers are the only girls he seems to attract.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

you're supposed to link the chapter idiots https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1018359

FrozenPhoenix71
Jan 9, 2019
Plz bring back Reze, plz bring back Reze, plz bring back Reze

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

wait people could see Yoru's scars this whole time? Yoshida, my man, your clout is vanishing quickly here

Probably the biggest surprise of this chapter lol

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
I'm 100% with Denji here: What the gently caress is wrong with those guys? Like somehow Denji is the most normal person here.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
So is Sword Man presumably the same as Katana Man? I would assume so, but they're different words so I'm not sure. Anyone know about the raw Japanese?

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

CodfishCartographer posted:

So is Sword Man presumably the same as Katana Man? I would assume so, but they're different words so I'm not sure. Anyone know about the raw Japanese?

No, Sword Man was one of the Weapon Hybrids that were controlled by Makima and fought Chainsaw Devil in the finale of season 1. There was a Hybrid using swords (who was distinct from Katana Hybrid who was also there) and his human form looks literally the same as the guy in this chapter. Check chapter 87, if you want to see in detail.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Oh! Denji might not remember that guy but I just did a reread and I do!

I guess the others are back too.

poo poo, can you refresh? I'm super blanking on this dude

Edit: nevermind. Previous post

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

CodfishCartographer posted:

not at all. during the Makima death fight there was both a Katana Man and a Sword Man. this is leaning towards the Hybrids under Makima have gained agency since she is now gone

plus we know what Katana Man looks like

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
for everyone wondering

it's this person

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
All the big players are setting up their next moves and they're all stupid

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

I like the continuing trend of everyone in Public Safety being a lunatic weirdo.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Maybe Makima really was the one keeping everything together.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
she has a point, its sad to interrupt songs

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Mads did say that you need a loose screw to make it as a devil hunter, specially in public safety.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
maybe Kishibe has been hanging out with his old senpai this whole time

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

cuntman.net posted:

this thread always has the best timing lol

In my defense, Swordman only appeared for a few panels in part 1 and had no lines. He's effectively a new character.

Neo_Crimson fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Aug 8, 2023

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

I liked all the twists and turns of this chapter. Poor Denji even when he's supposed to be chillin no one can just let him chill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

I'm glad the new chick is a friend.