Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Whenever I watch a modern episode of One Piece, I'm amazed at how quickly they fly by

because almost nothing fuckin' happens in a single episode

also has this terrible CG Kaido been here the whole time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

Whenever I watch a modern episode of One Piece, I'm amazed at how quickly they fly by

Id say any time dragon kaido is on screen and is not actively attacking or getting attacked its been CG for him just sitting there

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Waffleman_ posted:

It sucks cause when it pops off it pop offs, but then you get poo poo where Kaido is apologizing for the CP0 guy and you get a flashback that takes loving forever and suddenly I'm becoming Milhouse wondering when are they getting to the fireworks factory.

The ED is nice to have back again.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Electric Phantasm posted:

It sucks cause when it pops off it pop offs, but then you get poo poo where Kaido is apologizing for the CP0 guy and you get a flashback that takes loving forever and suddenly I'm becoming Milhouse wondering when are they getting to the fireworks factory.

The ED is nice to have back again.

Toei finally realized "wait poo poo why did we get rid of the ED, that's a whole-rear end minute and a half we won't have to animate"

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Preview for next week

https://youtu.be/vua499ZmRfY

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Professor Wayne posted:

https://i.imgur.com/V6bhYJA.mp4

love the clap and powerwalk to fight a big dragon

Literally something out of a Fleischer cartoon. :allears:

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Waffleman_ posted:

Toei finally realized "wait poo poo why did we get rid of the ED, that's a whole-rear end minute and a half we won't have to animate"

Makes me wonder how they're gonna handle next week. Next chapter is even more action heavy.

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!
As messy as the anime can be, one thing I will give it credit for is that Kaidou looks like he's getting hosed up by Gear 5. G5 in the manga felt to me like Luffy and Kaidou were just messing around and then one of Luffy's punches happened to work for some reason.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
good ep. sometimes the animation was too hard to follow, but they nailed it otherwise.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

So much filler but once they actually got into the full on cartoon fight it was glorious

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

I was expecting Looney Toons and, by George, they delivered on it

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

I'm pretty sure when Gear Fifth Luffy lifts Kaido up and manhandles him it's playing a remixed version of Overtaken.

There were some parts where the action was kind of hard to follow, but episode owns overall.

E:

Yep, you can definitely hear it here! :swoon:

You might be happy to hear they already announced a soundtrack release although it's far off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1jyZh3xbYo

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I don't really follow One Piece as much as I should, and while I knew of Gear 5, I did not know what it entailed. And seeing it now, it is simultaneously unexpected and completely on brand for it to be basically "Is a Looney Tunes character"

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Somebody summon Tex Avery's ghost and have him possess the animation team director for the rest of the fight sequence.

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
One Piece loving rocks.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

I want to thank all the folks who were critical of how the anime always is about these things 'cause it brought my expectations into the perfect spot.

The anime is gonna be the anime. I know well its issues. I accounted for that going in.

And with that understanding, Gear 5 was so cool. The animation for those particular scenes was insane. It was chaotic as gently caress, but having seen what's supposed to be happening in the manga, the chaotic anime scenes bringing it to the next level was incredible.

The (gratuitous) flashback to Luffy's defeat was great for reminding me just how grim and edgy (in a goofy way) Gear 4 was. He's all black and glowering. The contrast with Gear 5 is fantastic. And Kaido is really the perfect opponent. He's so huge and serious and imposing, and he's facing this bullshit.

Such an amazing powerup!

Guys, I think One Piece is good.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
My friends and I just got done watching it and it was awesome. Very glad to have seen this animated.

Only thing I hated was watching Luffy dance around for 10 minutes saying he was at his peak. But other than that the taste of the final battle with Kaido is going to be great the rest of this month. Smiled from ear to ear hearing the cartoon sound effects. It's exactly how I imagined when I read this part in the Manga back then.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Eiba posted:

The contrast with Gear 5 is fantastic. And Kaido is really the perfect opponent. He's so huge and serious and imposing, and he's facing this bullshit.

Yeah, Kaido bursting through the roof to declare,"I have killed your champion, your fate as the defeated is to be my slaves till you die and be replaced as nothing but unimportant cogs in the machinery of my cruel rule" only to be IMMEDIATELY followed up by a giggling idiot hauling him up and tossing him about while laughing his rear end off the entire time is perfect.

"The most ridiculous power in the world." :allears:

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Aug 6, 2023

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Not gonna lie, I was grinning like an idiot for most of the episode, which is extremely onbrand for the Warrior of Liberation. It was so good!

e: I'm rewatching it and there are so many good freeze-frames holy poo poo

Katamari Democracy posted:

My friends and I just got done watching it and it was awesome. Very glad to have seen this animated.

Only thing I hated was watching Luffy dance around for 10 minutes saying he was at his peak. But other than that the taste of the final battle with Kaido is going to be great the rest of this month. Smiled from ear to ear hearing the cartoon sound effects. It's exactly how I imagined when I read this part in the Manga back then.

I loving loved him dancing around like an idiot. Gear 5 looks so good animated and they did a great job.

DizzyBum fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Aug 6, 2023

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret

DizzyBum posted:

Not gonna lie, I was grinning like an idiot for most of the episode, which is extremely onbrand for the Warrior of Liberation. It was so good!

I loving loved him dancing around like an idiot. Gear 5 looks so good animated and they did a great job.

Dont get me wrong I loved this episode. One of the best nights with friends after grilling out and watching this. We were hollering and laughing hard at the episode. Was great entertainment. But even we got a bit sour like "Ok, we get it". When he got done transforming into Gear 5. I felt like they kept nailing that in for the episode.

Im the only one in the group who read the manga and keeps up with it and I was just holding my breath to see how Luffy was going to pull Kaido up from the floor below, deflecting his blast back at him, and even more. I was glad to see that animated and I can't wait to watch the rest. Very much looking forward to it.

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Took ten minutes of :f5: until it loaded fo me, but was worth it, episode owned. Wish they would learn to pause on the funny faces though so we can take them in.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I kinda thought the episode sucked, but I'm also extremely tired of the overly indulgent animation style for these things. It can be hard to parse as is, but when you keep going back to the same scene over and over with nothing actually happening it wears me out super quick. The combat, when you actually get to it, is good, but the episode as a whole felt dragged out a mile wide.

Gonna enjoy the youtube edit of the fight however many months from now or whatever

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Shinjobi posted:

I kinda thought the episode sucked, but I'm also extremely tired of the overly indulgent animation style for these things. It can be hard to parse as is, but when you keep going back to the same scene over and over with nothing actually happening it wears me out super quick. The combat, when you actually get to it, is good, but the episode as a whole felt dragged out a mile wide.

Gonna enjoy the youtube edit of the fight however many months from now or whatever

I.think the episode is overall okay, but yeah. For what it's worth I think both the sanji vs queen and zoro vs king episodes were overall way better in terms of writing, pacing, directing, screen composition, and animation consistency.

The Gear 5 reveal was hype and fun, especially in the last third with the over the top animation and sound effects, but it was very much hard to visually parse parts of it, especially if you weren't familiar with the manga scene. In addition, the episode is very uneven, having multiple moments of flashback padding, some reused animation before the middle cards, a couple of shots with the awful CG Kaido model, and it had the same problem as in the manga with having the komurasaki stuff in the middle, breaking up the flow of the gear 5 intro.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I don't really watch the anime but I was curious about this and I kind of have to agree that it was mostly really crap. I didn't mind the break in the middle for the fire scene but honestly it was most of the rest.

I really liked the Luffy jumping around and walking animation until they repeated it twice more which really detracted from the charm and fun of it. (Though I guess recycled walk animations is on brand for Loony Toons but it didn't really feel that way.) I adored the sound effects and how Kaido's cartoon damage effects were animated but a lot of the rest seemed really hard to follow even having read the manga panels. The entire scene where Luffy reflects the fireball was borderline incoherent. There were a lot of great things like Luffy's little shufflewalk but the flashbacks and such really just felt like padding.

It's neat to see Gear 5th in animation and they clearly knew how to animate it which is rad but outside of that it just felt like a pretty badly paced episode of a show.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Aug 6, 2023

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here
Someday someone is gonna make a one piece anime supercut that throws out all flashbacks and filler and poo poo and it's gonna have a runtime of like, 100 hours.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

there's already people working on that, one pace. for an example, dressrosa took 118 episodes in the actual anime and one pace cuts it down to a svelte 48. some of those eps are 30ish minutes, longer than a standard tv episode, but still, its about half as long.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret
The next three weeks are going to be insane for One Piece. We at least got to see Gear 5

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

mabels big day posted:

https://twitter.com/Soul_StormOP/status/1688025299827523585?t=_FJV0UgxKqaYbdQmYb6qpw&s=19

This scene in particular, if you hadn't read the manga, I can't imagine you'd be able to parse what is going on very easily. The rest of the action scenes were pretty good, especially when Luffy was swinging Kaido around, but this part was just too messy for me. They only held the Luffy eye-pop panel for less than a second so you couldn't even appreciate how funny that looked

I'll admit Kaido's split second reaction shot was great though
No awooga......

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
I appreciated the episode, but yeah it was very obvious that all the budget went into a few minutes of animation and the rest is padding, it is what it is :shrug: just happy to see G5 animated.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

junan_paalla posted:

I appreciated the episode, but yeah it was very obvious that all the budget went into a few minutes of animation and the rest is padding, it is what it is :shrug: just happy to see G5 animated.

yup

but it was sick as hell when it went

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

White Light posted:

Not gonna lie, it's sort of hard to see what the hell is going on in some of those fight clips, this action direction definitely needed a second draft before running off to print.

Honestly, I didn't liked it. At all. It's a mess where you don't understand anything that's going on.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

ya in a show that has tons of lingering shots it's weird that it did the bad action movie shaky cam multiple angle with 50 cut thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=by4UZ-79MK4

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

That post went quite well, I think.
I followed it all without much trouble but maybe I've just watched more Bugs Bunny cartoons than y'all :smug:

r00tn00b
Apr 6, 2005
Couldn't stop thinking about it, had to make it real and get it out of my head.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Weebs: I have the power of god and anime on my side!
Luffy: I have the power of devils and Looney Tunes on my side!

Great episode, the Gear 5 stuff looks amazing but I gotta echo some of the fight direction comments. I almost wanted them to go even more old school with it and some of the action just got too muddled together to figure out what actually was going on. The pacing/flashback is One Piece, though, but I'm super hyped to actually see the rest of the fight play out.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Raposa posted:

I followed it all without much trouble but maybe I've just watched more Bugs Bunny cartoons than y'all :smug:

You mean the ones where you have single perspective point, limited animation and a slow, deliberate pace construction toward the punchline?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRnGlsvGJYk

YggdrasilTM fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Aug 6, 2023

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009

YggdrasilTM posted:

You mean the ones where you have single perspective point, limited animation and a slow, deliberate pace construction toward the punchline?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRnGlsvGJYk

This is why I think this will get much more manageable once the budgets go back down.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
The PV for next week already looks cleaner, they might’ve gone a a bit too far this ep things were hard to read

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
The chapter is officially out https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1018221

Also they officially confirmed that it was supposed to be Mother Flame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010
Woop Slap is the key to all of this