Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

you ate my cat posted:

That was my experience with my potted mint last year, but this year it started strong and now looks terrible. I've tried more water, less water, fertilizer, cutting it back, and nothing has really helped. I thought it might be mint rust, but I don't feel like it looks like the photos I've found. Anyone have any ideas?

Edit: I think the first image undersells how bad it is. Almost every leaf has some sort of browning on it.

Hard to tell from the perspective but that looks like a lot of plant for that pot. I'd cut it back or remove some of them and see if that helps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

OK, I'll try that. This is what grew back after the plant died back last winter, so I kind of assumed it was going to be able to tolerate it. Thanks!

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

you ate my cat posted:

OK, I'll try that. This is what grew back after the plant died back last winter, so I kind of assumed it was going to be able to tolerate it. Thanks!

Mint is unlikely to completely crowd itself. It looks like it's getting too much sun. Maybe try some partial sun area as it looks like it's been baking. You should be able to just cut it back and it will grow again once it likes the weather better.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Chernobyl Princess posted:

It's my first year doing taters so my strategy was "I dunno let's see if this works" and now I'm going to have a completely unearned confidence for next time I do potatoes.
I've never had any luck intentionally growing potatoes. S. tuberosum potatoes, that is. Sweet potatoes are fuckin' easy mode.

With potato-potatoes every time we've followed all the elaborate rituals for using grow bags/towers and mounding up soil as the plant grows...we've ended up with a couple potatoes. Every time we've just thrown a couple left over seed potatoes into a random patch of ground and just left them unattended, boom a couple pounds per plant.

This is mostly with a line of caribé potatoes we've been propagating for a few years now. If it wasn't for the they-only-grow-if-you-don't-try thing, I'd highly recommend them. They keep pretty well and they're good potatoes and they're not just like russets or Yukon golds or something you'd get from the grocery store. They're my favourite for making pommes persillade.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
this is my first time getting more than a few hot peppers from a plant, and one habanero has had several fruits ripen in the past week with all the heat and humidity...

do these shapes mean it did some cross-pollinating with the scotch bonnet and/or habanda that are right beside it? the other habs have had the normal shape so far and i've read that peppers love to cross with any others nearby

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

the milk machine posted:

this is my first time getting more than a few hot peppers from a plant, and one habanero has had several fruits ripen in the past week with all the heat and humidity...

do these shapes mean it did some cross-pollinating with the scotch bonnet and/or habanda that are right beside it? the other habs have had the normal shape so far and i've read that peppers love to cross with any others nearby

Those look like pretty normal habs to me.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
cool. i'm not worried about them since the plants are going nuts, was just curious if the multiple shapes is "normal"

e: thanks for the excellent info Jhet!

the milk machine fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Aug 5, 2023

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

the milk machine posted:

cool. i'm not worried about them since the plants are going nuts, was just curious if the multiple shapes is "normal"

It is normal to get a few different shapes. My habanero variety that I use ends up looking almost identical to the scotch bonnets most of the time. They're fairly similar.

Cross pollination would have had to happen last season and you'd have to save the seeds and grow plants from them to affect the fruit in any way. So if you save those seeds from the fruit in the picture you can't know what you'll get for next year if you had a bonnet and habanada (which is a hybrid anyway) growing next to it.

rojay
Sep 2, 2000

Fitzy Fitz posted:

The inevitable fate of all of my produce. Thanks, I'll have to try it. My summer stir fries usually have some mix of tempeh, eggplants, long beans, chilis, and bitter melons.

Cooking cucumbers is wildly underrated. The only trick is that you have to deal with their moisture content, but a quick stir fry or even a braise works really well.

Shifty Pony posted:

Made a small 5x3 bed closer to the house so Mrs Pony could grow some herbs and such in a more convenient spot than the garden.

Any suggestions for a good mix of stuff to put in it? Central VA Zone 7a/7b full sun.

You've already gotten advice on what to plant, but if you do nothing else, add more soil. You will not believe how much the dirt you have in there already is going to shrink over the next few months. You don't want to pack the dirt down too much, but add enough that it's at the top of the bed and after a few rains you'll start to think about adding more.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I've found thyme does best in the south in a raised bed or pot. It doesn't like heavy clay soils and needs better drainage. Even then I've only ever gotten a year or three out of it.

Thyme definitely likes a pot in South Louisiana, but I've had "English" thyme in a big terracotta pot going for 10 years. I fertilize it a couple of times a year with a general purpose liquid concentrate, but I think it's successful because I always compliment it when I cut some for the kitchen.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Turnip greens are A+ too. Idk if there are different varieties grown for roots and greens tho.

Seconding this. I have planted turnips in the past but I've really only gotten the greens out of them; the actual turnips were tiny. Fortunately, fresh turnip greens are one of the most delicious things you can grow in your garden. There's so much more of a sharp, mustard flavor to them when you eat them the same day you picked them.

I used to scoff at growing greens, since they're really not expensive at the grocery and the first year I tried to plant collards, mustard greens and turnips the insects got 90% of the leaves before I could enjoy them. These days I grow them because they love my soil and also see above re: fresh cruciferous plants.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

rojay posted:

Thyme definitely likes a pot in South Louisiana, but I've had "English" thyme in a big terracotta pot going for 10 years. I fertilize it a couple of times a year with a general purpose liquid concentrate, but I think it's successful because I always compliment it when I cut some for the kitchen.

Do you cut it back really hard in the spring? Mine was getting pretty woody by year 2 and I finally just culled it because it was just not thriving. I'm in Houston, so other than being a bit dryer, the conditions should be pretty similar.

(It also got completely roasted to a crisp by our heat wave before recovering, which probably didn't help)

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Sunflowers are starting to open! All saved seeds from a single plant last year.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Those are very nice. We usually run them on fence rows throughout the year, whatever the birds don't eat tends to replant itself. They're really cool flowers to watch and they are very beneficial to an organic garden.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
My kid wants to grow pumpkins, and I am a pushover. He loves pumpkins and even used to sleep with a stuffed pumpkin :3: He picked sugar pie seeds, which should be doable before any reasonable chance of cold weather.

All I have right now are 5-7 gallon grow bags and terracotta pots up to about 14-16", which are obviously not going to cut it. Would a 4'x2' raised bed (metal Amazon cheap-o or wooden DIY) be big enough for a sugar pie vine (trellised) and some carrots or radishes as well, or will the pumpkin basically need the whole thing?

Plan B is to drill some drain holes in an old 27-gallon tote that is already somewhat worse for wear, but then I'd have nothing to mix my potting soil in :v:

That Old Ganon
Jan 2, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I'm so pissed, I just wanted to grow a cool blue pumpkin, and fate said, "no." The planets aligned specifically to kill my last Jarrahdale sproutling.

I was ready to transplant it into the garden plot. On my way there I stopped by the dumpster to throw trash out. I set the sproutling on the ground and as I was throwing poo poo away the reusable bag fell out of my grip and landed directly on the edge of the cup, with the stem between the two. This dumbass bag could've landed anyplace else in any other position, but no. Its edge landed a precision strike on the exact eighth of an inch of the stem that was lying on the rim. I heard the crunch as the bag landed. The sproutling was dead before I got to the garden.

:smith:

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Discussion Quorum posted:

My kid wants to grow pumpkins

Treat it like the plant in Little Horror and you should do fine. Feed it, give it room, try not to die. People who voluntarily grow these confuse me.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I had to rip out all but one of our volunteer vines because they were taking over the garden, and I whacked that remaining vine way way back. They take up an insane amount of room and do so quite aggressively.

The hairs on the leaves and stems were giving me awful rashes too.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Pumpkin seeds - $2.49
Expanded shale - $10.99
2cf of composted pine bark - $11.99
40lb of leaf mold compost - $6.99
My kid being happy about a $40 pumpkin for 5 minutes before he sees a lizard and runs off - priceless?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

That Old Ganon posted:

Its edge landed a precision strike on the exact eighth of an inch of the stem that was lying on the rim. I heard the crunch as the bag landed. The sproutling was dead before I got to the garden.

:smith:
Wow. That sucks. Hearty sympathies.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Hey y’all, just realized this thread exists. Just getting this in my bookmarks so I can do a giant post tomorrow about a project I’ve been working on all summer.

I assume indoor gardening is cool here, if not I have plenty going on outside as well…

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

:justpost:

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Bad Munki posted:

Hey y’all, just realized this thread exists. Just getting this in my bookmarks so I can do a giant post tomorrow about a project I’ve been working on all summer.

I assume indoor gardening is cool here, if not I have plenty going on outside as well…

Indoor gardening is absolutely cool here but also you might want to cross post that to the horticulture thread, as they'll likely love it too.

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.

What a lovely bloom. Nice setup. :justpost:

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

mischief posted:

they are very beneficial to an organic garden.
tell me more about this please

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Friend, I intend to!

Bad Munki posted:

We've been living at our current place for about 7 years now, we have a very ample garden that just gets better every year as we figure out what works, what doesn't, ways to streamline, etc. Always a learning process. The garden is two 11x30 plots off the end of my barn.

Sometimes, plants can thrive TOO well. The tomatoes at the back right were borderline non-navigable.

It's enough space that we can grow all of the things we know we want, with lots of room for experimenting and making mistakes without feeling like we wasted opportunities. Pretty ideal. More recently, we've started to devote a fair chunk to flowers. Dahlias are always a favorite, but we do a bit of everything. Marigolds of all sorts, zinnias, astilbe, celosia, all kinds of stuff. Turned the whole place into a butterfly garden once we started doing that.

Local garden friend helping us out

Anyhow, one aspect of this forever-project is getting started before spring. I like to grow as many plants as I can from seeds, feels real good. But I'm also impatient, and like to start earlier than I probably should. So, for a couple years, we had 4-tier plastic utility shelves in the guest bathroom shower with grow lights and such all over, it was a hot mess and super duper overkill. Also, since I had no idea how much of anything I wanted, much less what I wanted, I tended to start seeds excessively, and then lose my mind when I only needed 10% of my starts. A few years of that and I started to figure out an actual game plan.

At some point, we picked up a little seed starting greenhouse. A real piece of junk, like $20 on amazon or whatever. 1/2" tube steel, and a clear vinyl cover that slips on. I mean, it was okay for the price, we absolutely got our money's worth out of it, but it was not great. It lived out on the deck for a couple years, got thoroughly worked over by UV, and then one year I realized it was actually all the space I needed to start my seeds, and I could use the lights I already had, just way more dense, which was good, because the plants were a little starved as it was.

So that thing moved right into the living room, condition be damned. It was supposed to be temporary, we'd just leave it there for the spring, and then clear it out once everything was planted.

I absolutely grew to love this sexy pink light.

And then we planted all the starts, and realized we had space to grow more things, and my elderly parents were bringing over half-dead plants from their place, so we started nursing those back to health, and so on. THREE YEARS LATER, it dawned on me that the indoor greenhouse might be a permanent fixture. So I started googling.

The picture that started it all.

The fabled IKEA MILSBO. I didn't realize quite how trendy it was to convert this to a greenhouse/botanical display until much further into the project, but honestly, I don't care, it works so well. Of course, no IKEA where I'm at, but my wife was driving up to Minneapolis in just a couple weeks and we determined we could fit two in the car. Heck yeah. And while I waited, I could start planning. Lots of examples to consider.

Not bad, not crazy about the lighting. Nice flexible shelving.

Clean look, less flexible, similar lighting issue.

Lots of things I liked and disliked about the various examples. The original pic, for instance, has gridwall in the back, which is great, but man they hacked the attachment. Just some fender washers and screws. Gross. If I was going to do this, I was gonna go hard. The other major factor in all these examples I didn't like was the lights. Wires everywhere, under-lit, side-lit, thick lights overly visible. The big gotcha here: I want to avoid permanent, visible alterations to the cabinet itself if at all possible. Ended up really, really close to that goal.

Once the tomatoes moved out, the cats moved in. Wiring hell, to boot.

I figured the first step would be to figure out how to attach the gridwall panel. I didn't want to use the provided glass shelves, as they'd prevent airflow, had more limited positioning, would catch water, and would show dirt/dust more. So I devised a clip that would install the same as the original shelf supports, right down to making use of two very subtle ridges on the spine of the whole thing to lock into place on the cabinet and gridwall. Just install the clip at a 45, set the panel in it, and twist it to lock it into place.

The prototype in grey for visibility.

Once locked into place, it's practically invisible.

That just keeps it from tipping or shifting, we still need some feetsies at the bottom.

Not truly necessary, but it seems more finished this way.

And, lastly, we want to brace the rack from the sides as well, so we make a third part that grabs onto the edge.

Gotta black out all the fasteners, too!

At this point, the rack is absolutely locked in, and integrated into the cabinet, but in a way that is as good as invisible unless you're looking to see those specific parts. So far so good, and no actual modifications to the cabinet yet, everything can be undone back to stock.

Time to figure out the lights! My previous sexy-pink lights were okay, they were just what was available at Lowe's at the time. I did the math and they were putting out nowhere near enough light, which is why my seedlings were originally way too leggy, and things only really worked when I consolidated them down to just a couple shelves. This time, I actually did the math to figure out how much light I wanted based on sunlight at the equator, and so on. And then I added a very ample buffer beyond that, so I would have flexibility. Also, broader spectrum. I'll miss the pink, but ya gotta give the plants what they crave.

With the math in hand, I went shopping. Aside from the actual light output, there were two main factors: fitting it in the 12x24 space I had, and getting it absolutely as thin as possible. All the lights I found were from 1-3 inches thick. That's dumb, they're just LED panels! Buuuuut, it appears that in a lot of cases, most of the thickness is the transformer itself. We may have options here.

These fit the footprint, and have the light I need!

So close. The actual light panel is just a circuit board on an aluminum plate, that's perfect, but then there's all this crap bolted on the back.

So these VIPARSPECTRA look real close, are apparently a good brand, just need to see if they can be modified how I need. Namely, can I take the transformer and dimmer off, run them with longer wires, and install them elsewhere, with just the light panel inside the cabinet proper. Ordered one to see.

As you can see, the business end of the light is absurdly slim.

The space I intend the light(s) to be in. Roughly a 1" deep recess in the top plate of the cabinet.

So, I tear the thing apart, get a look at how it's hooked up, and put an extension on the wires from the transformer to the light panel. Also put some black mesh wrap on the wires to help hide them for the final install. Thanks to the Electronics thread for sanity checking my plans here.

It lives! And can now be positioned like 5' away from the supply.

Also, as it turns out, the dimming is controlled by the transformer itself, it just has an extra connection for DIM+/DIM- that expects a 100k potentiometer. The plan was to mount the transformer and dimmer module on the underside of the cabinet, out of view. But now I see I could refigure the entire dimmer control pretty easily, too. I'm building this cabinet to take up to five of these light assemblies (don't need that many, but I like options, and that's how many I can reasonably fit on the undercarriage of the cabinet.) With that in mind, who wants five of these big dumb boxes with a single dimmer knob on each? And who wants to reach to the underside of the cabinet to adjust them?

Enter: slider pots, a printed housing, and magnets

The housing itself went through a couple revisions after, but eventually it was ready to go. Again, five spots, but no plan to use them all immediately. It magnets on to the inside top right in front of the lights, no visible fasteners.

At some point, I grabbed a second light, since I realized this was actually going to work. Also printed knobs for the sliders.

Oh, and those lights, they're just held up there thanks to some nice little rubberized magnetic feet. The ones I got are stupidly strong, they work great and it's even kinda difficult to detach them from the cabinet ceiling. No concerns about anything falling down, here. Later, if I decide I want lights further down, I can just repeat the process and attach that 1/8" thick light panel to the underside of a shelf.

So where did those power supplies go, anyhow? The plan was to run them on the undercarriage of the whole cabinet, outside the actual plant space. Good for cooling them, and not cooking the plants, and avoiding humidity, etc. Nicely, the way the cabinet is built, the floor is a double layer with a full 1.5" between the layers, and the underside of the bottom is also recessed behind the structure. All of that combined, I have a pocket to hide things on the bottom, and can run screws in without them actually appear inside the cabinet. This will be the one place we actually damage the cabinet, and if we undid all of it, none of this would be visible.

Spent a long time playing with potential layouts here.

Conveniently, the supplies all have a short dongle that ends in a C14, like you plug into the back of a desktop computer. So I was able to pick up a power strip that provides just the right number of female C13 plugs, and then I can run a single power cord to the whole cabinet, no more extension cord/splitter hell cluttering things up. Pre-installed mounting hardware for any future additions while I was in there.

A couple other extra touches: we'll put in some disconnects for the actual power leads to the lights, for easier future alterations. And we'll use that space between the two bottom plates to run some wires for the dimmer controls so they can all be consolidated to one spot without a bunch of exposed wiring. For the non-existent supplies, we'll just leave the wires pre-abandoned to be hooked up later as needed, since this particular cavity will be inaccessible.

2-conductor lever nuts, one per light, with a custom clip to hold them (made both 2x and 3x variants)

Dimmer control wires for current use and future expansion

Lastly, we run power from the supplies to those banks of wire nuts, which are positioned near the two back corners. And from the light panels, down along the back corners, attached to the gridwall itself and wrapped in black nylon mesh, down through the floor of the cabinet, and into the corresponding hookup.

This is it, the one visible permanent modification: a 1/2" hole in each of the two back corners at the floor.

The bundle of wires from the dimmer bank also runs down through one of these holes, and hooks up to the consolidated dimmer wires we hid earlier, those tie in with a bunch of 2-pin JST connectors.

So at long last, we can turn this drat thing on, it's ready for plants.

Nevermind the hyacinth. The old folks at the home don't understand how bulbs work, it's here to humor them, they expect it to perk up again. We'll plant it in the dirt after it finishes.

I couldn't be happier with how invisible all the electrical nonsense is. Nothing there but the single power cord.

The shelves themselves were leftover gridwall. Since I'm doing two of these cabinets, I bought a 3-pack of grid, which gave me plenty to chop up for shelves. The supports are actually shirt hanger rods for the gridwall, I opted for these because they're so minimal, and were the perfect length.

With everything in place and working at last, it was time to start pirating plants. Picked up a box of apothecary jars for ~*~style~*~, I think they look rad.

A bunch of random stuff from various places around the house. Experimenting to see what will and won't clone this way.

Within about a day, I realized those jars were going to take up a ton of space on shelves that could be used for bigger plants, or rearranged in any number of ways. What they really needed was a way to hang directly on the rack at the back.

EZPZ, problem solved. The support rod gets painted black eventually.

The water-filled bottles act as a magnifier, which is nice for displaying the roots.

So that's where it's at today. Can't wait to get some more plants going in here, fill it up with lush green. Since I'm actually doing two of these, I should have plenty of space for permanent residents, as well as seasonal stuff. For the other one, I'm considering skipping the dimmer bank, and controlling the lights with a raspi or similar. We'll see about that, though. A simple outlet timer is working pretty well, it'd just be nice to have it dim itself down a bit in the evening, or to kick itself into different lighting regimens for mimicking certain seasons.

e: Almost forgot, all the custom parts are freely available here: https://cad.onshape.com/documents/13c9ff02c77ee9d47ae6a6f5/w/a8ae32e6d4755905bcd024e0/e/171fcae021226c0af1bc410b

Which brings me to my whole point for tracking down this thread: I need some food in those cloning jars. Any recommendations for what I should start with, and how much? They're about 150ml each.

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Aug 6, 2023

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

What I would try, with no experience, is adding a small, as in half to a quarter recommended dose of whatever liquid aquarium ferts your local fish store sells to a larger bucket of water, then using that as your supply when changing the water in the jars.
I do a way less fancy version of that to clone pothos and monsteras.

I would imagine keeping the roots oxygenated is going to be a concern. You'll have to change out the water pretty frequently, or add aeration or circulation, or something along those lines, so you don't get root rot.

B33rChiller fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Aug 6, 2023

Szechwan
Jun 10, 2023
Have any of you ever had luck rooting a Fig from a cutting in water?

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Szechwan posted:

Have any of you ever had luck rooting a Fig from a cutting in water?
I've never tried in water but they root pretty easily in dirt, or you can air layer them, or layer them by wounding a branch and sticking it down in the dirt with a brick on top. Timing is important with rooting pretty much anything and varies by species, but usually either in spring or overwinter is best.

e: this is a pretty good little guide
https://content.ces.ncsu.edu/plant-propagation-by-layering-instructions-for-the-home-gardener

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

All the volunteer tomatoes in our garden are cherry tomatoes.

This was one day, I only planted the black cherry ones on the right.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
Bad Munki I love your setup and it makes me want to do my own. Really nice work and I appreciate how clean you've made it.

As for what to put in the jars, I'm wondering if they are just too small to support anything large. Maybe some herbs? I know green onion do well grown in water for about 2-3 harvest but lose flavor.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Yeah, I don’t really intend to run the jars all the time, they’re more for playing around with cloning when I get the itch. Of course, round one, I went bonkers and just filled every jar.

Thanks for all the comments! Whether it all works as planned has yet to be seen, but it’s been an awesome project that’s drawn on a lot of different skills.

And if anyone does have a desire to repeat the effort, it’s actually all pretty straightforward, now that the kinks have been worked out. I could pretty easily gin up an actual BoM and instructions. Maybe a bit spendy, though. :homebrew:

Szechwan
Jun 10, 2023

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I've never tried in water but they root pretty easily in dirt, or you can air layer them, or layer them by wounding a branch and sticking it down in the dirt with a brick on top. Timing is important with rooting pretty much anything and varies by species, but usually either in spring or overwinter is best.

e: this is a pretty good little guide
https://content.ces.ncsu.edu/plant-propagation-by-layering-instructions-for-the-home-gardener

Awesome thanks!

I'm going to completely ignore the timing advice so I can follow through on my August experiment, but since it's probably doomed to fail I will take some cutting next spring.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I realized this morning that, since it’s already a given that I don’t need to run all my cloning jars at once, they can also double as vases for miniature bouquets of random cut flowers from the garden. The lights in the case make the colors absolutely blow up. This’ll be fun!

Will definitely need to get a predator in there if I’m bringing in outside plants, though.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

That is a beautiful setup. My plant shelf is pure chaos.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

well it would be less chaotic if it wasn't haunted by a skeleton :colbert:

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

For real though mine is a mess as well

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Szechwan posted:

I'm going to completely ignore the timing advice so I can follow through on my August experiment, but since it's probably doomed to fail I will take some cutting next spring.
Some plants absolutely will not root unless you cut and stick them on the first full moon after the 3rd 64 degree day after the 1st night above 58 degrees preceeded by at least two days of rain and some plants will root anytime, anywhere. Given how easy figs generally are to root (they will happily put out adventitious roots in shallow leaf litter) I would guess they're the 'don't giver a gently caress' category. If your experiment doesn't work now, try taking a cutting right after has lost all it's leaves and stick it in the ground in a protected sport over winter, or take one in spring when it first starts budding out, or a few weeks later when the new growth starts hardening off. Usually a pencil/pinkie finger thin cutting within 12" of a branch tip is is a good place to start with any kind of woody perennial.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

I think I found some lookalike, defensive mimicry employing bugs.

Anybody know these cuties? I don't think they have stingers. There's lots around. Probably greater numbers than the goofy bumblebees. Maybe even more than honeybees.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

That is a beautiful setup. My plant shelf is pure chaos.

I want to point out that your rack there is probably exactly the same one I was doing this on during the multi-year phase one of this whole thing. It is now a plant shelf and cat couch on the deck. 🤣

I feel like right now, this whole thing is at the “lotsa potential” stage. Will have to revisit to see how it’s doing this time next year. ;)

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

B33rChiller posted:

I think I found some lookalike, defensive mimicry employing bugs.

Anybody know these cuties? I don't think they have stingers. There's lots around. Probably greater numbers than the goofy bumblebees. Maybe even more than honeybees.

Maybe some kind of leaf cutter bee? Some of them look like chonky honeybees.

e: https://www.fs.usda.gov/wildflowers/pollinators/pollinator-of-the-month/megachile_bees.shtml

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Discussion Quorum posted:

chonky honeybees

Honeybae more like