Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Now animate Gear 5 Luffy doing the Kennedy Kick Dance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!
Raizou is Safe
"Shoot that Flag"
Luffy catching Mingo stomping on Law
The Straw Hat Fleet formation
Breaking of Mother Caramel's picture
Basically any Hililuk chapter
March to Arlong Park
Usopp vs Luffy
The whole Monblanc Norland flashback
The whole Oden flashback

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Chapter 502

The top 5 chapters IMO:
Chapter 502 - The Incident of the Celestial Dragons
Chapter 360 - Departing Soon (The chapter where Luffy and Zoro escape the chimneys and decide to save Robin... always loved this one so much for being peak art+emotion of OP)
Chapter 863 - The Honorable (Tea Party ambush, Jimbei returns the cup, Brook breaks the portrait, debut of "THIS IS BIG NEWS")
Chapter 367 - Sogeking (Introduction of Sogeking, Zoro and Luffy punch the wave with a combined move)
Chapter 816 (Raizo... is safe!)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

"Raizo... is safe!" was such an incredible moment.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Raizo... is safe knocks me on my rear end every time.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

You know? I wonder what point everyone was at when they finally 'caught up' with One Piece.

The thing that motivated myself to make the Everest content climb was reading the summary of Skypeia, the time I finally caught up with the in-the-moment releases was when Luffy first started his invasion of Enies Lobby.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
I first caught up at just after the end of Thriller Bark, like a couple chapters before the Duval reveal IIRC. Was anime only before then.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
For me, it was the chapter where Luffy first used Gear 3 on panel and punched Lucci through the tower.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

White Light posted:

You know? I wonder what point everyone was at when they finally 'caught up' with One Piece.

The thing that motivated myself to make the Everest content climb was reading the summary of Skypeia, the time I finally caught up with the in-the-moment releases was when Luffy first started his invasion of Enies Lobby.

Skypeia was the first time I caught up with one piece, back when the scans were complete garbage and I remember just really, really, struggling through the fight with the round guy and I just kind of checked out of one piece for a while because it was kind of boring, uninteresting, and pretty much illegible.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Caught up at Water 7 just before they started heading out to Enies Lobby

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

White Light posted:

I started reading the manga in something like August of 2020 due to the lockdown (there was nothing really else to do so gently caress it) and got caught up in late October of that year I think.

edit: yes there were a few times where I ran into the Jump app's 100 chapter per day limit

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
I started reading towards the end of thriller bark but didn't get caught up till the chapter where the strawhats hit the red line. Still has a lot of impact for me. Might have to do a reread soon.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

I knew I liked One Piece even with the 4Kids dub growing up, so the first time I caught up was during Skypeia, then I dropped off for quite a while until I remembered this cool manga that had recently gotten a timeskip. Suffice to say, I read from Water 7 to the end of Marineford in one night and knew I was gonna read this weekly until it ended. Have since reread it three times, last time was just before Onigashima which really helped figure out who the hell all these characters were and their relation to each other just before the big battle where most of them didn't really do a whole lot.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Crosspeice posted:

I knew I liked One Piece even with the 4Kids dub growing up, so the first time I caught up was during Skypeia, then I dropped off for quite a while until I remembered this cool manga that had recently gotten a timeskip. Suffice to say, I read from Water 7 to the end of Marineford in one night and knew I was gonna read this weekly until it ended. Have since reread it three times, last time was just before Onigashima which really helped figure out who the hell all these characters were and their relation to each other just before the big battle where most of them didn't really do a whole lot.

same except for it was when I heard the series was finally wrapping up lmao

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
I think I caught up to One Piece during Water 7? I'm pretty sure it was Skypeia when I actually started reading it, but due to difficulties navigating the internet and reading it with false starts and in big chunks that I wasn't actually caught up until Water 7 or Enies Lobby. I don't remember which.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

White Light posted:

For me it was in the epilogue of Enies Lobby, where Garp shows his face for the first time. I mostly watched the anime before that, but turn switched fully to manga at the start of the next arc, which I cannot remember the name of even though I like it a lot.

E: THRILLER BARK! It's literally in another post on this page, duh.

That was a great place to jump into the manga, the art in that arc is incredible. Oda had so much fun drawing zombies and frankensteins.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

I think I caught up sometime either during Punk Hazard or Dressrosa, which might have been the worst arc to do so as it really seemed to drag on... and on... and on. Re-reading it has always been fine, so I take that in mind whenever anyone mentions the current arc lagging.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I started reading during East Blue, but this was before scans were a big thing so I was dependent on a friend who owned the volumes, or comic book rental shops (which don't really exist in Korea anymore, I think).

Mumbling
Feb 7, 2015

Started following it consistently around Thriller Bark, but had some gaps that I later filled in like Skypiea. I technically didn’t fully sit down and ready DBF until last month.

Also, I was so throughly impressed by this week’s episode I spent over 2 hours that night watching it repeatedly.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
My first "live" chapter was 574 The Death of Portgas D Ace.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
I jumped in around Thriller Bark. following the thread from Impel Down thru Paramount War was loving wild

CaptianKatsura
Feb 28, 2011

I'm not Katsura, I'm Captain Katsura!

I started off with watching the 4kids dub, and switched to the manga once I realized it wasn't going to continue past Alabasta. I don't remember the exact chapter I got caught up at, but it was somewhere towards the end of Amazon Lily, around when Luffy learns about Ace's execution.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
I first got caught up towards the beginning of Punk Hazard. I'd been reading Naruto and Bleach for a while but had always ignored One Piece as one of the 'Big Three' because the 4kids dub was so terrible, but then a friend convinced me to give it another chance by reading it, and I was hooked basically immediately.

Doctor Syrup
Apr 7, 2009

White Light posted:

I started reading all the way back in 2003 when they first began releasing the volumes in English. I ordered Romance Dawn from Scholastic Book Club in junior high and instantly loved it. From the moment Lucky Roux shoots that dude I was sold and started collecting the volumes. The Zoro/Mihawk fight cemented the series as one of my favorite things. Unfortunately, since I was a broke high school kid I gave up on that dream after only about 12 volumes, right in the middle of Drum Island. I didn't get back into the series until the pandemic lockdowns when I binged the anime. I caught up in the middle of the Oden flashback where he's being pulled behind Whitebeard's ship, picked up from there in the manga, caught up right at the start of the Onigashima raid where Luffy, Law, and Kidd show up, then went back and read the entire manga while following weekly.

I was 13 when I started. I turn 33 next month. What an adventure. I hope I live to see the end, but either way I'll have a smile on my face. :yohoho:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I don't remember where I first "caught up" to the live manga, just that I read the entire series thinking it was actually finished before I started (:cripes:), then I started watching the anime, then I reread the entire manga again because the wait between chapters was too much, then I got caught up on the anime as well so I came and posted in the previous version of the thread like a desperate crack addict asking if y'all had any more of that One Piece for me, and that was during Wano :stare:

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Just realized OP is gonna get his by the strike cause it's a Netflix production, isn't it?

Strike is good, but man that's gonna bite for the cast who are mostly unknowns.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I tried out the anime several times before I actually gave it a real chance. The Cartoony style and early subs/4Kids just always drove me away. Then I saw some thing on YouTube that showed Crocodile and Bluno getting wrecked, and I went back and gave it an actual chance. Mostly because, if I remember right, I got furloughed for a week.

I do know that I always gave up around Syrup Village before toughing it out the last time.

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Just realized OP is gonna get his by the strike cause it's a Netflix production, isn't it?

Strike is good, but man that's gonna bite for the cast who are mostly unknowns.

They haven't even greenlight a season 2, so the strike probably won't really affect anything One Piece related.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Jumping in the middle of a conversation but I decided to catch up on the series after falling off in the middle of Wano, for some reason it just wasn’t grabbing me and One Piece just wasn’t as fun since the time-skip. I don’t have strong opinions on Gear 5. But for whatever reason this Vegapunk arc and the worldbuilding mini-arc it just did have been good as hell. I’m enjoying this as much as I enjoyed Water-7, Impel Down, and Eneis Lobby.

Oh drat those were over a decade ago what the hell

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Rereading Water 7/Enies Lobby for the upcoming Egghead arc, and one thing I always forget about that arc is the revelation of the chief judical official of the entire World Government:

Imagine being captured by the Marines, shipped off to court, and this is the guy who sentences you to life in Forever Prison.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

I was anime only right up until around when Fishman Island was wrapping up, but I got the heads up that the pacing in the anime was absolutely horrible so I should start reading it instead.

Well it took me like 7 years to catch up because I didn't until the Onigashima Raid

PringleCreamEgg posted:

Oh drat those were over a decade ago what the hell

Buddy, Water 7 is two decades old next year

:negative:

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
From what I remember I caught up on the chapter where Koby and Helmeppo attack Luffy and Zoro back on Water 7.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

For years I wondered if Vegapunk could live up to all the build or if they'd just forever keep him in silhouette or only ever referenced but never actually seen... and then when he finally showed up he has just been an absolutely incredible addition to the story.

Inadequately posted:

Rereading Water 7/Enies Lobby for the upcoming Egghead arc, and one thing I always forget about that arc is the revelation of the chief judical official of the entire World Government:

Imagine being captured by the Marines, shipped off to court, and this is the guy who sentences you to life in Forever Prison.

Especially when you later find out they're just three dudes who are such good friends they decided to put on the same suit and do the same job together :allears:

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.

Scholtz posted:

Buddy, Water 7 is two decades old next year

:negative:

No.. no!!

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

White Light posted:

I was in Japan during the climax of Marineford and seeing people queuing for huge stacks of volumes got me curious. Was kind of slow to start on catching up, but seeing people I knew online marking out about the 1-month break and timeskip rumours motivated me to push through. I got caught up on Chapter 607 ("10,000m Under the Sea), which was the start of the descent to Fishman Island.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

DeadBonesBrook posted:

For me, it was the chapter where Luffy first used Gear 3 on panel and punched Lucci through the tower.
Same here, I remember looking at the jp raws for that poo poo and seeing luffy punch a battleship in half

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
Starting as an anime watcher only and transitioning to a manga reader only I lost track of how many times I caught up to One Piece, because I always tended to come at it in giant chunks every few months. I remember first catching up to the anime when I started the series during the interminable Enies Lobby flashback episodes so that was fun! I think I then stopped after EL/W7 and didn't catch up again until the timeskip, then petered out during Fishman Island, then started all over again with the manga.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Boy I hope they have a different person directing next week's episode, I don't think the new guy's quite up to snuff yet, might have been better to put him on one of the low key episodes.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
The action in the preview looks cleaner at least we’ll see about the pacing

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

hatty posted:

The action in the preview looks cleaner at least we’ll see about the pacing

Rereading the chapter kinda curious what they will do. It's very action heavy so if they want to fill time they have to really linger on the reaction shots or draw out Luffy running out of juice with flashbacks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
I got caught up during thriller bark bc I had caught up to naruto and ppl kept coming into that thread to say one piece was better that week. I liked naruto plenty but they were right!!