Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
i caught up during the flying fish slaver bit. i remember reading the chapter and wondering wtf the manga was actually about, and then kicking off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Gyges posted:

My first "live" chapter was 574 The Death of Portgas D Ace.

Mine was probably a couple chapters prior, right when Luffy got the cuffs off. That was a hell of a time to finally be current.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
my first love chapter was gear 5

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Scholtz posted:

Buddy, Water 7 is two decades old next year

:negative:
Oh wow, speaking of where we caught up, that's not far from when I caught up.

I can't believe One Piece has been a constant routine for the last two decades of my life. What a nice thing to have been a part of so much of my life!

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

I first started reading One Piece during Skypeia but I didnt become a dedicated weekly reader until Impel Down. It was the hype leading up to Marineford that got me to actually read it properly using halfway decent scans. Halfway Decent really being all there was until Mangastream came along.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Meme Emulator posted:

I first started reading One Piece during Skypeia but I didnt become a dedicated weekly reader until Impel Down. It was the hype leading up to Marineford that got me to actually read it properly using halfway decent scans. Halfway Decent really being all there was until Mangastream came along.

This is pretty much me.

OP is the only manga I consume these days. At this point it's probably the longest "habit" I have in my life besides living and breathing.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Just had a quick re-read of Gear 5.

We're getting ALL these panels in the next ep, in addition to what was shown in the preview

:allears:

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
It’s such a good chapter

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Did a year and a half marathon of the anime, got caught up just in time to see the big 5, and read the rest of it in up to the current chapter in one sitting. I salute my screen whenever Emperor Buggy graces it, and I'm like 90% positive he's gonna accidentally be the one who finally claims the One Piece.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I found out about the weird afro skeleton and needed to know more so I started in 2012 by watching the anime up until Impel Down, then switched to the manga, then for some goddamn reason switched back to the anime for Punk Hazard (:suicide:) and have been a manga reader since Dressrosa. I caught up right before Gear 4, IIRC.

e: I should note that most of the reason it took me so long was not being super into Skypeia, from Water 7 onward I was watching like a dozen eps a day

Arist fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Aug 9, 2023

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

tweet my meat posted:

Did a year and a half marathon of the anime, got caught up just in time to see the big 5, and read the rest of it in up to the current chapter in one sitting. I salute my screen whenever Emperor Buggy graces it, and I'm like 90% positive he's gonna accidentally be the one who finally claims the One Piece.

Nah.
Buggy's somehow going to have an Awakening, by fail at having an Awakening, and be an actual threat to Luffy

Cross Guild Vs Straw Hats Davy Back fight tournament saga.
Get hype.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i used to download 10 episodes at a time on v slow kaizoku fansub torrents

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

DizzyBum posted:

Mine was probably a couple chapters prior, right when Luffy got the cuffs off. That was a hell of a time to finally be current.

Oh my God I'm so sorry, the dizzying high followed by the sickening thud of the lowest low :ohdear:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64r8jZ6rOmQ

Everybody was so happy :negative:

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
Been watching and reading since the beginning.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
I had a weird relationship with One Piece, where its one of those things that I was tangentially aware of for a very long time but I didn't get into it until fairly recently. I want to say the first I heard of it was sometime around middle-school? (That's roughly grades 7-9 where I'm from). I think the manga was roughly around Amazon Lily or Sabaody by then, so around 2007 or so? I'd keep hearing bits and pieces about it over the years or look up a plot summary now and again to get an idea of what was going on but I never really felt compelled to actually read it. I honestly kinda hated anime and manga as a kid (even then, I could tell most of these shows were REALLY spinning their wheels whenever they cracked out a filler arc) and didn't start opening up to them until after I was out of high school.

Even then, I didn't do a full readthrough until like the week chapter 1000 came out. Honestly I'd kind of burnt out on long-running serials in general by then (and still have, to be honest), but I figured if Oda could actually make it to 1000 then poo poo, it must be worth checking out at least. I've been on board since and no regrets so far.

MechanicalTomPetty fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Aug 9, 2023

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

Oh my God I'm so sorry, the dizzying high followed by the sickening thud of the lowest low :ohdear:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64r8jZ6rOmQ

Everybody was so happy :negative:

Right??? I was expecting Ace to team up with all the Straw Hats or something and then :tviv: :cry:

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Kind of funny how Akainu largely owes his life to Blackbeard for interrupting Whitebeard.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Gyges posted:

Kind of funny how Akainu largely owes his life to Blackbeard for interrupting Whitebeard.

Not really. Sakazuki fell in a Chasm and was being ignored after that, while other people attacked Whitebeard. He got back up shortly after and resumed attacking. Many of the people in the area could have been Whitebeard's end as the man was on Death's Door after Sakazuki's attack.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

I remember my friend was into the 4kids dub, because he'd watch it with his little brother, so I started absorbing it by osmisis. I thought it was...fine, but I was more into other Shounen at the time.

Then I started watching Ennis Lobby episodes on youtube, back when you had to watch them sliced into thirds. I only had a vague Idea what was going on, but I was hooked. I'd head to my College's student center and start loading several episodes, then by the time classes were over I'd watch them.

18 years and 5 One Piece themed cosplays later here I am.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
It's not surprising to see so many people (including myself) picking up the series around Enies Lobby/Thriller Bark, as that was the era when sites like Mangastream made it a lot easier to read weekly series via a browser. Crazy to think that it's the standard now, and companies like Shueisha just give away their weeklies for free.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Switching from binging the paperbacks to waiting for the weekly dripfeed during the train ride to Enies Lobby was a trip.

Water 7/Enies Lobby is still peak One Piece for me.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.

DeadBonesBrook posted:

It's not surprising to see so many people (including myself) picking up the series around Enies Lobby/Thriller Bark, as that was the era when sites like Mangastream made it a lot easier to read weekly series via a browser. Crazy to think that it's the standard now, and companies like Shueisha just give away their weeklies for free.

Water 7 for me as well through Mangastream and others. I started reading it because chapter 1 was included in issue 1 of the English Shounen Jump, which I randomly stumbled upon in the magazine section in Chapters. I had just entered HS and was into Yu-gi-oh (boy was I surprised at how different it was from the show) and DBZ. Romance Dawn was near the back of the magazine, but I was hooked. I read it monthly via subscription, which I got almost immediately after finishing the SJ, until they were about to enter the Grand Line and I couldn't wait to find out what happened next. I realized I could Google for spoilers and stumbled upon scans. I've been following it ever since. I've only watched like 2 complete episodes of the anime.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
My first exposure to One Piece was the 4kids anime when it aired on the FOX Box on Saturdays and I didn't think much of it at the time (go figure, right) and only caught bits and pieces while waiting for Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo or Ultimate Muscle to come on.

Sometime around 2007-08 I stumbled onto a site that had the whole series fansubbed so I figured I'd give it a shot and ended up catching up on both anime/manga sometime around Sabaody.

Then Marineford happened and I (rightfully) gave up on the anime and went manga only from then on.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
Incidentally, Ultimate Muscle is like half the reason 4Kids even had the rights to the dub in the first place.

chefscientist
Mar 23, 2007

#1 Cockeyed Ghost fan
My first chapter in Japanese was when Luffy lands on Enies Lobby and he controls the one guy doing gum-gum ally robot and it was like "that is a gently caress ton of characters but pretty cute" I got the first volume at a little store in Kurihama but didn't get into it until a few years later.

My first chapter in English:

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

chefscientist posted:

My first chapter in Japanese was when Luffy lands on Enies Lobby and he controls the one guy doing gum-gum ally robot and it was like "that is a gently caress ton of characters but pretty cute" I got the first volume at a little store in Kurihama but didn't get into it until a few years later.

My first chapter in English:

:zoro: Hell yeah

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
i started reading the series in 2003 when the first version of american shounen jump came out, forgot about it for two years, and then started reading through alabasta and skypeia with extremely low scans off someones MSN page. i have been reading this series for more than half of my entire life

badlyknitsweater
Jan 22, 2001
I only started reading OP around Amazon Lily, so that was confusing. But it was mostly due to the fact that at the time the Naruto thread was like "Naruto blows, this OP is amazing as usual. Oda does it again!"

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It's not actually One Piece's fault (I was unmedicated at the time and deeply depressed), but both of the times I got really into catching up on One Piece coincided almost perfectly with both times I had to drop out of college, to the point I have jokingly said that One Piece has ruined my life on multiple occasions, lmao

(for the record, I have my degree and am doing better now)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Arist posted:

(for the record, I have my degree and am doing better now)

:hmmyes:

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I just started :zoro:

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
megumi ishitani is working on the next episode, so it will probably be an absolute banger. shes the one who directed the three best episodes in recent memory.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

anime was right posted:

megumi ishitani is working on the next episode, so it will probably be an absolute banger. shes the one who directed the three best episodes in recent memory.

She was the one that did the Yamato flashback, right?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I think she did Roof Piece

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Waffleman_ posted:

I think she did Roof Piece

and the onigashima party and the "news around the world" segment that had no business being as good as it was

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

anime was right posted:

This is the best news to receive aside from “no break next week”

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Electric Phantasm posted:

She was the one that did the Yamato flashback, right?

Yeah she directed and storyboarded episode 957, 982, and 1015 of One Piece. She was also the episode director and did storyboarding for episode 131 of Dragon Ball Super

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Sounds like it'll be a good episode, but frankly, I'm more excited for the manga chapter in the next few hours/day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
'tis break week is it not?