Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
Oh hey, she finally took an important action beyond standing there going :o This brings the count to 2 panels in the entire chapter (3, if we count the zoom out).

The sad thing is the grab-hug and lighting looks great, ominous and desperate, but I have zero faith for Annie to go anywhere interesting with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010
Hey look, a Watchmen homage

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

patreon somehow managing to accidentally route their billing through ireland in a way that made the fraud detection of every bank in the world perk up is arguably a far more interesting topic of discussion than the third of what's probably going to be at least 5 consecutive establishing shots
From what I'm reading in Irish papers Patreon have been using that payment processor for a while but the payment processor hosed up a code push or something and either started sending things wrong to the banks or started rejecting items internally. The geographic location of the office being Dublin, Ireland isn't new or overly relevant.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer
Not much to say about this latest series of steps beyond Achewood's unfortunately correct "your activities are so poorly conveyed"

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

I was surprised to see a chapter end symbol on this page. The last few chapters were around 30-35 pages, and this one only 19. Not really a criticism, since shorter chapters can be done for effect and not everything needs to have a consistent length (though this one felt a bit abrupt even though things... happened... I guess...), more of an observation.

Speaking of observations, but ones that are criticisms: I continue to point out how wild it is that positively apocalyptic poo poo is happening and we should be beside ourselves and eager to see what happens next, but the good faith for this comic is so in the toilet that nobody gives a gently caress.

My first thought seeing this page was actually, considering the last time we had Zimmy shenanigans was when the Annies got glued together, wondering if Renard and Annie will fuse. Zimmy and Coyote and Loup are all fusing? The only thing that can beat them is Annard. Renannie?

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Tiny Myers posted:

wondering if Renard and Annie will fuse.

i'm going to throw up. also i've been pretty sure that's what is about to happen, somehow, but i hope to god it isn't

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

As the comic's grand finale, all the characters will fuse into a single character, who will decide to go by "Jerrek."

and look like Clevin

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

The nothingness will continue to expand, engulfing the universe and everything in it except Jones, left drifting in the void. She speaks a single sentence, "Ah crap, not again", before the universe begins anew.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Randalor posted:

The nothingness will continue to expand, engulfing the universe and everything in it except Jones, left drifting in the void. She speaks a single sentence, "Ah crap, not again", before the universe begins anew.

Ending U: deb[U]nked

Somewhere in the depths of space, Jones still floats about with a stern look on her face.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Tiny Myers posted:

My first thought seeing this page was actually, considering the last time we had Zimmy shenanigans was when the Annies got glued together, wondering if Renard and Annie will fuse. Zimmy and Coyote and Loup are all fusing? The only thing that can beat them is Annard. Renannie?

Kitsannie

Riot Bus
Jan 8, 2020
Holleee poo poo her face came out scary.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
is she in a literal fridge

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
What

What am I looking at here

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Riot Bus posted:

Holleee poo poo her face came out scary.

You weren't kidding, I did not need to see that this early in the morning.

rotoscoped
Oct 30, 2010

Splicer posted:

What

What am I looking at here

We are simply leaving the romance manga-inspired section of the comic and entering the "Junji Ito presents" era.

But make of that, what you will :rubshands:

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext

A big flaming stink posted:

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

is this some kind of sick joke?

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

What in the actual gently caress is that expression. :stare:

/e: There is no Lana, only Zuul.

RocketMermaid fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Aug 9, 2023

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
saw this panel while half-awake and immediately thought “wow she really was Coyote all along”

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
No it’s much worse. In tradition with Zimmyland, some people’s identities will be all mixed up so that’s AnnieLana and she’s going to tearfully reunite and make out with Jerrek while still believing she’s Lana.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

:hmmyes:

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Man we really were supposed to like Lana huh

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

The way this panel is drawn I almost feel like we were supposed to be deeply unnerved by her?

Maldraedior
Jun 16, 2002

YOU ARE AN ASININE MORT
A house full of condiments and no food

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

:hai: you are so wise

GunnerJ posted:

The way this panel is drawn I almost feel like we were supposed to be deeply unnerved by her?
Yeah I feel like creepy is the intent here. Even the Gunnerkrigg forum sycophants agree.

I would genuinely be shocked if that wasn't the case. For as much as my faith in the comic's quality has dropped like a rock, Tom is a more talented artist than I am, and one thing you learn as an artist very quickly is where the line of uncanny valley lies (because you'll keep accidentally hitting it and you have to figure out what stops your drawings from looking like serial killers. Hint: it's usually the amount of teeth).

The unbroken direct eye contact with the viewer, how much of the whites of her eyes are showing (something we associate with distress or aggression in animals), the individually rendered teeth, the slightly vacant expression... like, this page was only a few months ago. "Tragic woman in a state of loss" is something he understands the symbology of.

I think this page is supposed to represent that, alive or dead, Lana is trapped within Coyote - unease and uncertainty over her fate is the point. She appears to currently exist within either a literal or metaphorical box. Like some kind of box bot.

Niavmai
Nov 27, 2011

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

jumpscare

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I think the fact we can't tell the tone of this is a pretty bad sign lol. We've seen her with blank-eyed expressions before, one even just a few weeks ago, so it's kind of hard to tell if this is just how she is or if she really is uneasy. I'd think if this was MEANT to be creepy, it'd be more explicit. However, yeah, that drawing of Kat was great, so gently caress it idk

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I honestly don't think it was supposed to be creepy. She's never been depicted that way before, we were led to see her as an innocent with pure, reciprocated love at first sight, not a creepy obsessed stalker.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Is it just me or does she also look a lot more jacked than she usually does? I was like drat she might be stuck in a box but she's still doing some serious lifts.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

GunnerJ posted:

Is it just me or does she also look a lot more jacked than she usually does? I was like drat she might be stuck in a box but she's still doing some serious lifts.

All the robot people look that way, like there's some seams or minor artificiality to their skin and muscles. They just aren't always drawn that way in less detailed panels.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Aug 9, 2023

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Rotten Red Rod posted:

All the robot people look that way, like there's some seams or minor artificiality to their skin and muscles. They just aren't ways drawn that way in less detailed panels.

Oh right, iirc Arthur has the same stronk lines going on.

Arbetor
Mar 28, 2010

Gonna play tasty.

I mean, the last time I assumed a character's forced, painful grin was a sign of distress, it was actually just her being perfectly fine and everything was good and we need to stop questioning her emotional state or her relationship with her father.

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe

Note Block posted:

This whole thing is so loving weird! It's so loving stupid! It's so loving weird and stupid!

:emptyquote:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Arbetor posted:

I mean, the last time I assumed a character's forced, painful grin was a sign of distress, it was actually just her being perfectly fine and everything was good and we need to stop questioning her emotional state or her relationship with her father.
Perhaps Lana is in some form of... cage

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

It's very funny looking back on those pages of this thread seeing people go "I can't wait for this little side plot to be over with!".

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who had that thought 😬

edit: BSS: Bisexual Super Son › Gunnerkrigg Court: is she in a literal fridge

Mr.Radar fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Aug 9, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Mr.Radar posted: