Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kzin602
May 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Tayter Swift posted:

I don't think Trump would survive a 12-hour flight in a coffin but the attempt would be so loving hilarious I kinda want him to try.

Trump fleeing would require some measure of planning and competency on his part, something he lacks. He would never be able to deal with anything less than luxurious resorts, surrounded by employees and staff that must cater to his whims.

He must know that if he flees the country that his usefulness to the people he's fled to has ended and he will not have a good end.

Trump would much rather be on house arrest than at the tender mercies of the bratva.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Trump himself might be able to flee but, like, Mar-a-lago isn't going anywhere. He's big on losing money as a real estate tycoon. All of that isn't going anywhere. I can't imagine him being competent enough to even put his money somewhere it couldn't be seized. In theory yes, maybe Trump could physically get himself out of the country through a Monty Python-esque series of misadventures and capers that he would have to somehow not gently caress up. There's way too much other stuff he would never be able to take with him.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Tayter Swift posted:

I don't think Trump would survive a 12-hour flight in a coffin but the attempt would be so loving hilarious I kinda want him to try.
You'd need, like, a piano case for him.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

FMguru posted:

You'd need, like, a piano case for him.

I’m picturing one of those big upright bass cases with his dumb loving comb over coming out.

Vino
Aug 11, 2010
Trump doesn't have a choice about whether he has a USSS detail. The USSS isn't a privilege you get that you can decline or that can be revoked. Presidents know secrets and poo poo, and it's the USSS's job to make sure nobody nabs him. His USSS detail doesn't report to him, they report to the current President's Secretary of Homeland Security.

That said if Trump somehow manages to flee then the silver lining is he looks weak. Only losers and cowards and criminals flee. (Not that Fox wouldn't put some kind of lovely spin on it to try to make it look strong.)

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Vino posted:

Trump doesn't have a choice about whether he has a USSS detail. The USSS isn't a privilege you get that you can decline or that can be revoked. Presidents know secrets and poo poo, and it's the USSS's job to make sure nobody nabs him. His USSS detail doesn't report to him, they report to the current President's Secretary of Homeland Security.

That said if Trump somehow manages to flee then the silver lining is he looks weak. Only losers and cowards and criminals flee. (Not that Fox wouldn't put some kind of lovely spin on it to try to make it look strong.)

This is patently false. Sitting POTUS/VP cannot decline USSS protection. Candidates and former Presidents can decline if they choose to - it's an entitlement, not a requirement. It just never happens - Nixon was the only former President to do so.

Vino
Aug 11, 2010
Dang you're right https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1985-03-13-mn-22103-story.html

Though I can't imagine the USSS gave up protecting him without assurance that his new detail would do the job well and periodically checking up on them.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

As has been explained, the process of fleeing the country requires all sorts of planning, logistics, and cunning. Not to mention the spending of vast amounts of resources.

Meanwhile Donald Trump is known for stiffing countless amounts of bills. He's also someone who when asked what his favourite book was said "The Bible" and when asked the follow-up question of "Which part?" couldn't even bullshit an answer.

Point is, I'd love to see Trump try and flee the country and do so on the cheap.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
I hope he runs and someone nabs video just so we can all say "the flee tape is real"

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I doubt he'll be successful, however I'm fairly sure he'll try. The problem is that the MAGA and sympathizers are spread wide and I wouldn't be surprised at outside help. It's the typical Trump scheme, where everything will go absolutely clownish or improbably succeed. It's the second possibility that we should worry about.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Gyges posted:

I doubt he'll be successful, however I'm fairly sure he'll try. The problem is that the MAGA and sympathizers are spread wide and I wouldn't be surprised at outside help. It's the typical Trump scheme, where everything will go absolutely clownish or improbably succeed. It's the second possibility that we should worry about.

He does have an aircraft. The question is, would the pilots go along with it?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

I don't see Trump fleeing. It makes him look weak, it makes it more difficult for him to get the attention he seeks - and where would he go? Russia, China, Saudi Arabia, and the UAE are the only countries without extradition treaties that I can see him going to. And if he does, all of his assets in the US will be immediately seized - so now, not only does he not have the spotlight any more, he's lost a ton of his wealth.

They should still yank his passport.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Zamujasa posted:

I hope he runs and someone nabs video just so we can all say "the flee tape is real"

The unbelievable part of this is Trump running more than a few steps without his heart exploding.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Gyges posted:

That would be even better.

Look at all the stuff involving the fake electors and people who showed up to investigate the "rigged elections." Or the big media press conference about the voter fraud that was held in front of the Four Seasons....Landscaping Company.
Best of the best right there.

If Trump goes with some Turbo Chuds who volunteer to get Trump out of the country, they'll probably end up flying him to Moscow.... in Scotland.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

The Question IRL posted:

Point is, I'd love to see Trump try and flee the country and do so on the cheap.

This could be amazing TV. Each week Trump tries some new dumbshit way to flee and gets caught like some Saturday morning cartoon.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Trump tries to cross to Mexico but ends up on exactly the few miles of border where his stupid wall ended up at.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

I would like to reiterate my prediction that he will gently caress up the “non-extradition country” part of fleeing.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Xiahou Dun posted:

I would like to reiterate my prediction that he will gently caress up the “non-extradition country” part of fleeing.

"What do you mean, Hawaii delivers me back to America?!"

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

cant cook creole bream posted:

"What do you mean, Hawaii delivers me back to America?!"

Puerto Rico would be even more delightful

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Zamujasa posted:

How much capability is there to delay things? Like obviously that date is almost certainly not happening, but how far can they realistically push this out?

Ultimately, it's up to the judge to actually set the schedule. How it's generally gone so far is that the prosecution asks for the earliest date that could possibly be portrayed as reasonable, the defense asks for a date so late that they can barely even pretend it's reasonable, and the judge will pick a fairly reasonable date in between those two requests.

bird food bathtub posted:

Trump himself might be able to flee but, like, Mar-a-lago isn't going anywhere. He's big on losing money as a real estate tycoon. All of that isn't going anywhere. I can't imagine him being competent enough to even put his money somewhere it couldn't be seized. In theory yes, maybe Trump could physically get himself out of the country through a Monty Python-esque series of misadventures and capers that he would have to somehow not gently caress up. There's way too much other stuff he would never be able to take with him.

Yeah, this is the key to all of it. If Trump really wanted to flee the country, I'm sure he could do so fairly easily. But if he does, he leaves behind all of his fame, most of his fortune, and pretty much his entire lifestyle. The countries that don't have extradition treaties with the US mostly aren't going to be especially comfy places for him either. I don't think there's much chance of him making a run for it as long as he's in the running to become president.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Tayter Swift posted:

This could be amazing TV. Each week Trump tries some new dumbshit way to flee and gets caught like some Saturday morning cartoon.
Trump Prison Escape 1.0. Buy your copy today from the Truth Social Steam Room for only 39.95!

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Fleeing just seems like a level of planning that Trump just doesn't go to. He doesn't really seem to think preemptively at all; he just reacts, usually poorly.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Trump is a winner, and winners don't run. He'll win the case/appeal/election/mass uprising, so he'll be fine

kzin602
May 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

The Question IRL posted:

That would be even better.

Look at all the stuff involving the fake electors and people who showed up to investigate the "rigged elections." Or the big media press conference about the voter fraud that was held in front of the Four Seasons....Landscaping Company.
Best of the best right there.

If Trump goes with some Turbo Chuds who volunteer to get Trump out of the country, they'll probably end up flying him to Moscow.... in Scotland.

Trump absolutely despises his base, and the inconvenience of trying to sneak somewhere would rule it out. Trump is a deeply intellectually lazy person with no interest in how things work nor an interest in learning how they work. He couldn't pack his own suitcase, much less pull off a caper.

I don't mean this in a ha ha trump is dumb kind of way, I mean this in a there's something very atypical in his entire mental state.

When giving a speech he encountered the word Yosemite and tripped over it in a way a person who had never encountered that word in their life would have... and why should he, the president, be expected to learn new words or know anything about his country beyond his experience as a grifter.

kzin602 fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Aug 10, 2023

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Shooting Blanks posted:

I don't see Trump fleeing. It makes him look weak, it makes it more difficult for him to get the attention he seeks - and where would he go? Russia, China, Saudi Arabia, and the UAE are the only countries without extradition treaties that I can see him going to. And if he does, all of his assets in the US will be immediately seized - so now, not only does he not have the spotlight any more, he's lost a ton of his wealth.

They should still yank his passport.

He'll only try and run in the period where he's waiting for sentencing and he's already lost the election. It's not going to be a well thought out and intricately crafted plan. It'll be because he doesn't see a way to avoid consequences, and believes that naturally the people in whichever country(Russia) love him and will support him.

100% he'll try and spin it as a strategic retreat in order to come back and win. Not caring at all that such language is some Napoleon poo poo that will only ad fuel to the fire. His yes men will tell him it's great, while there's a mad dash to grab as much gaudy poo poo laying around and run.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I don't expect him to flee or see prison, but it would rule if he never got to go to Scotland or play golf again.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

kzin602 posted:

I am not sure if the SS could prevent him from fleeing, it's their job to provide security detail but I think that if a former POTUS waives that service they have no obligation.

I have the feeling that his detail spends most of the day in an office with them being requested when Trump wants to wander the lobby while looking important because he has free bodyguards.

Or just bring him diet cokes all day

kzin602 posted:

When giving a speech he encountered the word Yosemite and tripped over it in a way a person who had never encountered that word in their life would have... and why should he, the president, be expected to learn new words or know anything about his country beyond his experience as a grifter.

Did he say "Yo-Sa-Might?"

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.

BiggerBoat posted:

Or just bring him diet cokes all day

Did he say "Yo-Sa-Might?"

Yo-Semite more likely

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Tenkaris posted:

Yo-Semite more likely

Most likely he just ranted about rigged elections and beans.

Pleasant Friend
Dec 30, 2008

Tayter Swift posted:

I still don't see him as much of a flight risk because of how vast the conspiracy to flee would have to be to work.

Assuming he attempts to abscond on his own plane, at least the pilot has to be willing, there'd be a loadmaster of sorts putting poo poo Trump doesn't want to leave behind on the plane, and whatever attendants and other staff are on a private plane and coordinate with the departing airport. Jets typically only load enough fuel to get to their destination, so somehow that would have to be sneakily purchased and pumped in. Flight plans with the FAA would have to be falsified.

That's a lot of people who have to be trusted not to squeal, not all of whom are under Trump's control. And how do you do all this without tipping off his Secret Service detail, who presumably do not want to be effectively kidnapped and taken to Russia?

I feel a lot of the first problems regarding jet fuel etc could be resolved by Trump loaning his plane to Don Jr or some other family member who arranges a flight for themselve, and then Trump just gets on .

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

trump doesn't need to "plan" anything. He just gives the nod while in scotland or wherever his golf poo poo is and one of his Russian handlers gets him out in a laundry cart.

Like you actually think he's planning this out with crayons on the back of a mar-a-lago menu calculating fuel requirements and whatever just lol

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Gyges posted:

He'll only try and run in the period where he's waiting for sentencing and he's already lost the election. It's not going to be a well thought out and intricately crafted plan. It'll be because he doesn't see a way to avoid consequences, and believes that naturally the people in whichever country(Russia) love him and will support him.

100% he'll try and spin it as a strategic retreat in order to come back and win. Not caring at all that such language is some Napoleon poo poo that will only ad fuel to the fire. His yes men will tell him it's great, while there's a mad dash to grab as much gaudy poo poo laying around and run.

I think for federal charges you don’t go to prison until your appeals are exhausted.

Trump will likely never see the inside of a federal prison because he’ll just die of old age before then.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
i hope the russian town for americans is just a truman show dome city for Donnie and his chuds.

also i hope its built on melting permafrost and it just sinks into methane filled mud and then we can just be done with Donnie and chuds, and in whatevertimeunits a donnie shaped lump of peat coal is dug up.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
trump would never flee. he'll get pouty, angry, and be more and more belligerent in turn to "punish" the mean people. trump will got through the entire process, pouting the whole way, more and more convinced that people both pity him and fear his anger. he won't run because that doesn't garner him the attention he needs. he'll walk into prison refusing to speak to his attorneys as they beg him to talk to them like they know trump needs.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->
Trump's plan is to become president, and pardon himself.

There is no plan B.

He genuinely believes it is going to work.

It will not work.

Then, he will flee.

Question is, when he fully realize that his only plan is destined for failure? We have time, he's not bright.

It will not be his plan that is executed, but the plan of some ally of his.

Uglycat fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Aug 11, 2023

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Zamujasa posted:

How much capability is there to delay things? Like obviously that date is almost certainly not happening, but how far can they realistically push this out?

This is a good question.

There are three driving forces in trials getting continued: the judge, the defense, and the prosecution.

The judge has the ultimate decision making power, but she doesn't get to just wave a magic wand. She needs to consider practical things like whether she has other trials currently scheduled for that date. An in custody defendant's trial might get precedent over an out of custody defendant's trial. She might be a hard rear end who runs her courtroom in a tidy manner, or she might be a wishy washy partisan hack like the Florida judge. I personally know judges who will cram trials down parties throats because they have a week free and that's the week this trial is going, dammit. She will be looking at the practicality of the parties getting ready - are there literally a million pages of emails/texts/transcripts? Or is discovery three pages of police report and a 20 minute audio tape, like for a DUI trial?

The defense has two competing interests. Well, three. First is what their client wants. Is Trump telling them to delay because he thinks he will win and pardon himself? That's what I'd want if I were Trump. That's not controlling to the defense attorneys but they pay attention to what the client prefers. Second is the practical concern of the volume of discovery. A human being needs to review all million pages of emails/texts/transcripts and give it some cogent organization. Third is that they want to keep asking for continuances until the judge says no so that they can later appeal the judge denying their request. That third concern does not depend on reality, only the appearance of reality they can "in good faith" argue to the judge. It's very very important for them to build appeal points. They can delay by complaining about the million pages is too much and simultaneously by demanding ever more picayune discovery. Demanding picayune discovery is great, because eventually the judge will tell them that they don't need Giuliani's elementary school transcripts to impeach him. Boom free appeal point. They will almost certainly be filing pretrial motions, why not save one or two until right before trial, and force the judge into a decision to quickly rule or delay? Either way it's an appeal. All of this is perfectly acceptable and within the rules of the game by the way.

The prosecutor can gently caress this up in many ways. They can lose discovery. I've done a million trials and I'm always flabbergasted at the capacity for cops and prosecutors to lose poo poo. That causes delays. They can refuse to immunize someone. Trump wants to call Mike Flynn and blame the whole thing on him? Flynn can't testify unless the prosecutor immunized him. That causes delays.

A trial like this, in a normal setting, would take at least a year or two to get to trial. This trial? Who knows? The capacity to delay is infinite. A friend of mine has a case set for trial in October that was opened in 2011.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Murgos posted:

I think for federal charges you don’t go to prison until your appeals are exhausted.

Trump will likely never see the inside of a federal prison because he’ll just die of old age before then.

You think wrong. The default rule is that you are serving your sentence while appealing. You can move to stay the sentence, but it's not automatic.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Tayter Swift posted:

Now picturing a really stupid and farcial version of The Prisoner, with Trump as Number 45 and a different prosecutor each week as Number 2.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

PhazonLink posted:

i hope the russian town for americans is just a truman show dome city for Donnie and his chuds.

There’s a way better old movie reference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAUHMn96fpk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
cross post from USCE

Man arrested after ‘engaging in threatening conduct’ toward jurors and witnesses in Pittsburgh synagogue shooter trial, prosecutors say

https://www.cnn.com/2023/08/10/us/pittsburgh-synagogue-trial-threats-arrest-hardy-lloyd/index.html

quote:

A West Virginia man was arrested Thursday after “engaging in threatening conduct” towards jurors and government witnesses in the federal trial against the the Pittsburgh synagogue shooter, prosecutors announced.

Hardy Carroll Lloyd, 45, has been charged with obstruction of justice, transmitting threats and witness tampering, according to a criminal complaint. Prosecutors described Lloyd as a “self-proclaimed ‘reverend’ of a White supremacy movement,” the US Attorney’s Office for the Northern District of West Virginia said in a statement Thursday.

Lloyd is accused of making threatening social media posts, online comments and emails toward the jurors and witnesses in the trial of Robert Bowers, who was sentenced to death last week after he killed 11 worshipers and injured six others at a Pittsburgh synagogue in 2018, prosecutors said.

I'd give strong odds of poo poo like this happening depending on how Trump's trial unfolds