Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Big lol at preschool or pre-k uniforms. Yeah sure let me just tell my toddler she has to wear this garbage corporate shirt every Friday instead of one of her sick dresses that she gets to pick out, wear, and then go stand in front of the mirror admiring herself for 10 minutes before breakfast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Welp, daughter cried herself to sleep because I only sang three songs and she wanted one more.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

nachos posted:

Big lol at preschool or pre-k uniforms. Yeah sure let me just tell my toddler she has to wear this garbage corporate shirt every Friday instead of one of her sick dresses that she gets to pick out, wear, and then go stand in front of the mirror admiring herself for 10 minutes before breakfast.

If a dress is not Spinny enough my daughter will loving riot

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."

Brawnfire posted:

Welp, daughter cried herself to sleep because I only sang three songs and she wanted one more.

I wish my baby cried herself to sleep instead of just continually crying with increasing enthusiasm

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

We just got our kid's daycare uniforms. A physical activity day shirt, a regular day shirt, and a smock for art day on Wednesday. But this is Taiwan, everything has uniforms. Every school has a gym uni for two days and a dress uni for three days. Up to Elementary school, Wednesday is no uniform day. Schools are conservative as hell here, but I'm just used to it, and I used to be anti-uniform before I got here and now I kinda like it.

The school I teach at didn't let boys have long hair or people to have hair dye until last year.

It took two weeks, but today was the first day he wasn't crying when I picked him up from daycare. So I almost started crying.

We'll see when the drop offs don't have crying. Or if the crying begins again on Monday...

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
10 year wedding anniversary plans thrown into chaos by an inexplicably puffy eye. Just kid things!

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Goffer posted:

I wish my baby cried herself to sleep instead of just continually crying with increasing enthusiasm

They eventually go to sleep but it is heartbreaking getting to that point

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

SixFigureSandwich posted:

They eventually go to sleep but it is heartbreaking getting to that point

It makes me feel like the worst person in the world despite the forty minutes plus of loving personalized attention I devoted to their health and comfort before that

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

babby 2 is teething like a shark, the numbing gel works a treat but applying it without getting your fingers flayed is impossible. so many bite marks

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa
Yay kiddo did great for his first day at pre-k! He didn’t do day care and was a pandemic baby so I was a little worried about whether the structure and time away from his parents would be weird for him.

However his dad only showed up 5 minutes early for the pickup line and this was apparently a giant newb error.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

you cannot give an inch with bedtime routines, they will drag it out for six hours if they can

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Shifty Pony posted:

Our daycare doesn't have a uniform, so we were very very surprised to get this sent home today:

That's one hell of a thing to spring on parents.

Don’t forget to ask what the sanctions are for noncompliance.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

lobster shirt posted:

you cannot give an inch with bedtime routines, they will drag it out for six hours if they can

I've tried drilling this into my wife and we basically have my bedtime routine which involves giving her a 30 minute warning, a 10 minute warning and then straight to bed, just so that it doesn't seem like it's coming out of nowhere, out my wife who lets her drag it out for at least two hours and so much crying. Wife seems to prefer it her way ok whatever I'm going to sleep

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
I am not a hardass about anything except nap/bed time. We have a great routine and I am not letting a single thing gently caress that up!

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

Getting ready to get hardass when we get back from the vacation. Last year’s vaycay destroyed the sleep routine, but we are hoping that this year we’ll be able to reverse it. I miss my partner.

On the good note: thanks for the nice words here, folx, her cough seems to have cleared up now, after months of worry, stress, and various medication. She’s using only a saline spray at the moment, and she hasn’t coughed in about 3 days. She’s even sleeping better/less stuffy. Such an unexpected turn of events.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I think I’m more of a hardass about brushing than anything else. She’ll thank me later.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Wife crashed hard after work and went to bed at 7. I tried to do routine as normal but kiddo was like, MOMMY'S IN BED? THEN SO MUST I.

Normally when he goes to sleep too early it's a nightmare as he's up and down bothering the poo poo out of us because he can't sleep. So I was prepared for the worst. Then he just...went to sleep without problems. By 8pm I was alone in a sleeping house, the sun wasn't even down yet. It was weird as hell.

I, of course, responded by staying up too late playing video games and was then woken up at 5:45 by a fully alert child who wanted to play.

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa
Please god let the child go to bed early tomorrow now that he’s in school so I can smooch his father

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Renegret posted:

I, of course, responded by staying up too late playing video games and was then woken up at 5:45 by a fully alert child who wanted to play.

:same:

That's a six pack of beer and battlefield video games night if I ever heard one

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
9yo daughter woke up around 2am apparently and probably didn’t fall asleep until 1030pm last night. At least to her credit she didn’t come get us in bed or even come downstairs (I wake up super early) until 545.

Gave her a bowl of cereal and sent her back to bed with the book I had to take at lights out, because otherwise she would keep reading until super late.

She is back downstairs now at 7 which is a much more acceptable time to start Saturday morning cartoons. Once the first episode or so is over we’ll start making pancakes together for everyone else.

you know what is later today? her birthday party at a skating rink. today is gonna be fun, I hope she can hold it together on 4 hours of sleep!

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Anybody got advice for being a literal deadbeat dad?

Like my dad peaced out when I was a little kid and I’m terrified of being the same kind of rear end in a top hat now that I have kids.

Except I can’t really make a choice bc I’ve got terminal cancer and it’s going to be a when, not an if

I just want these girls to remember me and know I didn’t leave on purpose and I loved them so loving much

Currently got Svyeta on my leg and Nastya on my chest sleeping making me feel very numb and awkward but I’m just so happy to have them. I’m almost certainly ashes fertilizing a tree before they get to elementary school and I just want them to remember me and this and know I didn’t want to go

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Like my dad peaced out when I was a little kid and I’m terrified of being the same kind of rear end in a top hat now that I have kids.

Except I can’t really make a choice bc I’ve got terminal cancer and it’s going to be a when, not an if

I just want these girls to remember me and know I didn’t leave on purpose and I loved them so loving much

Currently got Svyeta on my leg and Nastya on my chest sleeping making me feel very numb and awkward but I’m just so happy to have them. I’m almost certainly ashes fertilizing a tree before they get to elementary school and I just want them to remember me and this and know I didn’t want to go

God drat brother, I don't know where to start with this one at all but all I can say is that you're doing good I think.

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~
Having videos to look back on was really nice as I got older after losing my dad as a little kid. Just some slice of life stuff that gives a picture to your adult kids of how you were and what your relationship was like from a sort of objective viewpoint, if that makes sense.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
Fuuuck. Only thing I can think of is letters to them about your day (slice of life) and letters on big days when you tell them about your big days / memories.

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

Olanphonia posted:

Having videos to look back on was really nice as I got older after losing my dad as a little kid. Just some slice of life stuff that gives a picture to your adult kids of how you were and what your relationship was like from a sort of objective viewpoint, if that makes sense.

Seconding the video. If you want to go elaborate, a video series with your thoughts for when they hit different ages?

Letters, ideally handwritten. I still have the letters that my grandma got from her dad when he was in Auschwitz. Granted, different context, but he was living on borrowed time, too.

Tom from the Dear Old Dads podcast has a series of philosophical blog posts for his kids, explaining his thoughts on various subjects, e.g. friendship, relationships, love, etc.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Spikes32 posted:

Fuuuck. Only thing I can think of is letters to them about your day (slice of life) and letters on big days when you tell them about your big days / memories.

My dad passed away when I was just graduating high school. As a result of his job he had a 1MP digital camera back then and I personally have a handful of photos of him from then (the rest of them are in photo books at my mom's) and anyways yeah the most interesting/informative information I have of him are the random slice of life photos I have. Letters would have been pretty cool but he died relatively suddenly and his side of the family has historically been terrible about preserving the past. As a result I have a pretty keen interest on preserving things for my kids. When our kids (cousins) get together I try and take a minute or two of video for future playback when they're older. I try to follow the rule of adding 10-15 seconds at the start and end of each video, to cut out later, and make the main portion of the video at least 1 minute long

Probably the most interesting/memorable video I have seen of me as a kid, is we were playing at my friends house playing some god awful recorder flute thing at age 3 and then the friend's younger brother climbs under the sink in to the sink cabinet in the guest bathroom and the door slams shut on his fingers and suddenly the parents come in to frame and they're "oh poo poo what happened" and jump into parenting crisis mode, you get to see "real" parts of their personality come out, and they're in the frame. Too many kids videos IMO just have the kids and almost none of them include the parent actually playing with their kids

funny song about politics
Feb 11, 2002

Shifty Pony posted:

Our daycare doesn't have a uniform, so we were very very surprised to get this sent home today:

That's one hell of a thing to spring on parents.

Our daycare also has a uniform policy, though at least we were warned about it. It’s a fancy Montessori “daycare” that our soon to be 18 month old will start in September.

Every aspect of this annoys me, because the daycare is also ungodly expensive, doesn’t run during the summer, and currently doesn’t have the subsidy that many other daycares in Canada have. Our friends have a daycare that’s every bit as fancy but because it has the subsidy it’s less than half the cost. Switching is not possible as this was the only one out of the dozens we applied for that had a spot. Anyhow, forcing us to buy a bunch of new clothes just adds insult to injury.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Hadlock posted:

Too many kids videos IMO just have the kids and almost none of them include the parent actually playing with their kids

I mean I find it an event worthy of recording when my kid finally stops harassing me and actually plays with a peer

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa
Tonight’s energy: the child shouting at his dad “I FARTED IN YOUR HOUSE”

(He has been farting all day and at one point aim his butt at me and let ‘er rip)
What are they feeding these children at pre-k???

Edit: he just announced that he “loves farting here”

CherryCola fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Aug 13, 2023

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
Just brought home baby #2 from the hospital. One day later and the 3 year old is sick. Lol what have we done.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?

slave to my cravings posted:

Just brought home baby #2 from the hospital. One day later and the 3 year old is sick. Lol what have we done.
We're a month into this but this weekend I'm the sick one. Caught COVID so I'm hiding in a room and my wife is left with the chaos :ohdear:

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

It seems like you’re on a good path already.

Also: media. A lot of media. I lost my father when I was a teen, and a couple of random VHS home videos of him I have are priceless to me now. I wish I had more.

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa
Me: “PEANUT BUTTER JELLYYYY”

Kiddo: “WITH A BASEBALL BAT! …

AND A PENIS!”

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

my son woke up SCREAMING last night at like 3 am so i rushed in there to see what was wrong and it was: he wanted a different shirt

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

A lobster shirt, mayhaps

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Brawnfire posted:

A lobster shirt, mayhaps

lol it was a red toy story shirt he wanted :argh:

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I just want to get a sanity check here, or maybe AITA?

I'm at an indoor party place with my son, this place has cannons that kids can use to shoot balls out of. There was a kid maybe 12 or 13 with his friend and they had hoarded like 20 balls or so. My 42lbs, 4 and 1/2 year old Autistic son went over to take one of their balls and they told him no, he tried again and one of the kids shoved him.

I sprinted up there and told those kids if they touched my son again there was going to be problems. They tried to defend themselves and I said "Bro he's 4 and 1/2, you don't shove a 4 and 1/2 year old."

A little while later one of the employees came over to talk to me and I told her what happened. About 30 minutes later I figured out who their parents were and I went over to talk to them, the mom was a total bitch who was trying to blame my son for everything.

I let it go after that, but loving hell I'm still upset. AITA here for the way I handled this?

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
You did all you could. Honestly I wouldn’t have even bothered to talk to the parents, if they are a kid that is gonna shove a toddler, it’s likely the parents are shitheads too!

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
I think what you did is reasonable. The mom was a bitch but you weren't confrontational, not much else you can do but point out the issue. Some people default to "my kid is always right".

You exercised restraint if anything. I would say slapping the mom for being an rear end in a top hat would have been karmic but doesn't mean it's worth doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

It's pretty widely accepted that big kids aren't supposed to push little (6 and under) kids around. Especially when there's other parents around.

How did you respond? Yelling at other people's kids at a family place might not be considered not good either.