Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

pumpinglemma posted:

...yep, it's insane.

They make orange and chili-flavored chocolate and nobody bats an eye.

As soon as one robot says to try banana tomato chocolate, everyone loses their mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
tomato was used in chocolate cake during war rationing, so there's historical precedent for the combo

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!
I'm getting a weird theory that boomer cooking being awful and kids hating it comes from the rise of industrial cigarette manufacture and smoking, and generations of adults as a result having stunted taste buds.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

They make orange and chili-flavored chocolate and nobody bats an eye.

As soon as one robot says to try banana tomato chocolate, everyone loses their mind.

banana tomato chocolate would be a sweet, bitter, sour combo which would probably work. Chocolate and orange is sweet, sour, and bitter already, and that totally works.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Evil Fluffy posted:

I cannot imagine using a browser that doesn't nuke taboola into oblivion. If a site breaks because I have taboola blocked then that site is dead to me.

Is there one you can use on your phone? uBlock origin is great on my pc

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Professor Beetus posted:

Is there one you can use on your phone? uBlock origin is great on my pc

A bunch of phone browsers on Android (like Kiwi Browser) based on Firefox or Chromium allow adding extensions just like on PC. On iPhones it doesn't look to be possible without rooting the phone though.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'm getting a weird theory that boomer cooking being awful and kids hating it comes from the rise of industrial cigarette manufacture and smoking, and generations of adults as a result having stunted taste buds.

Cream.

Of.

Mushroom.

Soup.

In everything.

My understanding is that the wartime advancements in food prep, science, and storage were leveraged for the consumer market as time/cost saving measures, combined with the exponential rise in advertisements and marketing. They left behind the food of their parents/grandparents for novel wizbang inventions.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Mercury_Storm posted:

A bunch of phone browsers on Android (like Kiwi Browser) based on Firefox or Chromium allow adding extensions just like on PC. On iPhones it doesn't look to be possible without rooting the phone though.

Iphones have natively supported adblocking for like over 5 years at this point and have supported browser extensions for like 2. 1blocker or adguard works great. Not as good as ublock but still fine.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Also, at least in my country (UK) I would ascribe a good portion of it to the hangover from rationing

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Generic Monk posted:

Iphones have natively supported adblocking for like over 5 years at this point and have supported browser extensions for like 2. 1blocker or adguard works great. Not as good as ublock but still fine.

Also, at least in my country (UK) I would ascribe a good portion of it to the hangover from rationing

Explains the obsession with canned beans and supermarket bread

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
I hate a lot about my country but baked beans are good and a lot of the supermarkets have a small bakery inside them, so fresh good bread is easy to get, and atleast for now we don't load it with sugar.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

At lot of this was the 70s. Microwaves and new food processing methods exploded on to the market. A lot of people got taken in by this stuff even if they knew it wasn't as good quality wise purely by the novelty of it all.
When the bad food thread posts the most awful recipes they are 9/10 out of some 70s cook book.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Aug 11, 2023

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

Mister Facetious posted:

Explains the obsession with canned beans and supermarket bread

I;m Thinking About Thos Beans

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Cream of mushroom soup as a recipe ingredient is good though

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

I would argue that it was mostly they came from a time of limited (at least less varied) and non-fresh ingredients as well. Just go to the quieter parts of a developing country and try and cook as varied a menu as is possible in Aus/UK/whatever and a willingness to eat at restaurants to eat something completely different outside your skill set. It is easy to cook an absolutely delicious pasta if you have access to fresh herbs and olive oil. Now do it without olive oil, fresh herbs, cheese or tomatoes (none of these are available outside expensive western styled supermarkets here if at all). Or if you do have everything for pasta (because you live in Bologna), try and do a tasty seafood laksa without fresh seafood, lemon grass, etc.

I think people under-appreciate just how much more accessible quality food is compared to even the 80's.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/man-forced-ditch-115k-ford-234104336.html

Man forced to ditch $115K Ford EV truck during family road trip to Chicago: ‘biggest scam of modern times’

quote:

But Bala was quickly hit with the reality of owning and operating an EV soon after the purchase. The vehicle compelled him to install two charges – one at work and one at home – for $10,000. To accommodate the charger, he had to upgrade his home’s electric panel for $6,000.

In all, Bala spent more than $130,000 – plus tax.

Not long after the purchase, Bala got into a minor accident which, he said, required "light assembly" on the front bumper. Bala took the vehicle to the body shop and did not get it back for six months. He said no one from Ford answered his email or phone calls for help.

On the second stop, in Albertville, Minnesota, the free charger was faulty and the phone number on the charging station was of no help, he said. The family drove to another charging station in Elk River, Minnesota, but the charger was faulty there as well.

There were no other fast charging stations within range of Elk River and his vehicle only had 12 miles left.

"By now it was late afternoon. We were really stuck, hungry, and heartbroken," Bala said.

Bala ultimately had the vehicle towed to a Ford dealership in Elk River and rented a regular gas vehicle to complete the family’s trip to Chicago. The family picked up the F150 on their way back to Winnipeg.

"It was in [the] shop for 6 months. I can’t take it to my lake cabin. I cannot take it for off-grid camping. I cannot take for even a road trip," Bala wrote. "I can only drive in city – biggest scam of modern times."

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

I agree that electric luxury trucks are fraudulent

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Modern cars overall keep going that direction both EV and ICE. Just part of the capitalist path of product development.

Jesus III
May 23, 2007
That is literally a tech nightmare.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Why my current car has an actual physical distributor and the ECU software fits on 128k.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

I like how the article just states that he was compelled to install a charger at his work at his own expense. If he spent $114K on the truck, he got one of the deluxe models with the extended range. That has an advertised range of 320 miles. Let's halve that for shits and giggles, and he needs to commute 80 miles each way to run out of juice before he gets home, necessitating a charger at work. That is more than four times the average American commute distance.

I also enjoyed the implication that the truck being in the shop for six months after a fender bender was somehow caused by the truck being an EV rather than it being a lovely, lazy shop.

And lol at one of the comments:

quote:

We purchased one of the trucks, and when towing we got less than 25% of the quoted mileage.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

quote:

"I cannot take it for off-grid camping. I cannot take for even a road trip," Bala wrote. "I can only drive in city – biggest scam of modern times."

Wow I’m shocked that you can’t take an electric car that you need to plug into the grid to charge “off the grid” or to remote places. Wow who could have known.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I'm curious what's going to happen with all the "no new ICE vehicles by X" pledges, when the infrastructure is clearly not ready for primetime and the manufacturing logistics is still pretty hosed up. Seven years is a decent amount of time to work some/most of the problems out, I think (with regards to the Canadian 2030 goal), but only if everyone involved works on it pretty hard. And "oh wow, no poo poo you can't go on long road-trips in an electric vehicle" is a hollow answer, because again the goal is that you won't be able to buy any other sort of vehicle very soon.

Beyond that, even if everything works perfectly, the promise of the electric car is flawed at best because it was designed to be a solution to oil usage that didn't involve re-imagining our infrastructure and lifestyle entirely. You're still pouring a ton of money into infrastructure, you're still using a lot of energy and resources to build the vehicles, electric cars do nothing to address the safety problems associated with driving, etc.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

PT6A posted:

I'm curious what's going to happen with all the "no new ICE vehicles by X" pledges, when the infrastructure is clearly not ready for primetime and the manufacturing logistics is still pretty hosed up. Seven years is a decent amount of time to work some/most of the problems out, I think (with regards to the Canadian 2030 goal), but only if everyone involved works on it pretty hard. And "oh wow, no poo poo you can't go on long road-trips in an electric vehicle" is a hollow answer, because again the goal is that you won't be able to buy any other sort of vehicle very soon.

Beyond that, even if everything works perfectly, the promise of the electric car is flawed at best because it was designed to be a solution to oil usage that didn't involve re-imagining our infrastructure and lifestyle entirely. You're still pouring a ton of money into infrastructure, you're still using a lot of energy and resources to build the vehicles, electric cars do nothing to address the safety problems associated with driving, etc.

This is kind of where I'm coming from with it.

Kind of curious how infrastructure evolved with the advent of the internal combustion engine and can only assume it was kind of a gradual, build as you go sort of thing where gas stations just kept increasingly popping up as cars became more commonplace. I know the highway system was a planned and heavily invested initiative but I'd have to imagine that most streets were the result of "we should probably put a road here. And, oh yeah, maybe a filling station."

ANyone with better knowledge of it feel free to chime in.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

PT6A posted:

I'm curious what's going to happen with all the "no new ICE vehicles by X" pledges, when the infrastructure is clearly not ready for primetime and the manufacturing logistics is still pretty hosed up

Maybe it will prompt governments to replace cars with an integrated public transport system :lol:

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
If infrastructure for EVs is that bad even in the USA, imagine in the global south

EVs arent a solution anyway

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
EV infrastructure sucks but there are “biggest scam” articles and videos all over the internet about EVs so I’d take that with a grain of salt. I had a charger installed at home and it was a grand total of 2k for parts and labor.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Mister Facetious posted:

Reminder that Americans eating Tide pods "because someone on tik tok did it" or industrial cleaners due to being unable to afford their predatory for-profit healthcare system isa thing

Reminder that that was largely moral panic bullshit and the vast, overwhelming majority of Tide Pod consumption is either young children without experience or knowledge of what a "Tide Pod" or "Detergent" are, or cased of diminished capacity such dementia or mental handicap.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

None of it is shocking if you do any research into range, range when towing, localish charging availability — that being said to be the standard it needs to work for the idiots too.

If you don’t have a Tesla and are doing a longer range road trip it can be pretty shocking when your only charging option is some random hotel parking lot and then you get there and it is either dead or had an unreasonably slow charge speed.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Generic Monk posted:

The U.K. has culinary Stockholm syndrome where rationing lead to people growing up eating bland food with no seasoning and the offal of animals nobody wanted, so they have to convince themselves and everyone around them that jellied eel, blood pudding, cold beans on bread, and boiled meat are actually really good.

It's why they made their national dish Chicken Tikka Masala, because as soon as some Indian guy invented a flavorful dish in the U.K, they knew they had to claim it.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

BiggerBoat posted:

This is kind of where I'm coming from with it.

Kind of curious how infrastructure evolved with the advent of the internal combustion engine and can only assume it was kind of a gradual, build as you go sort of thing where gas stations just kept increasingly popping up as cars became more commonplace. I know the highway system was a planned and heavily invested initiative but I'd have to imagine that most streets were the result of "we should probably put a road here. And, oh yeah, maybe a filling station."

ANyone with better knowledge of it feel free to chime in.

Total Energies is expecting to convert most of their petrol stations to EV in the next few years in Europe but expects to double the number of petrol stations in its African market over the same timeframe as manufacturing capacity and resources will be priortised toward the green credentials of Western nations. Also remember that (slow) charging at home with an optional extra will reduce the amount of people visiting servos as well. I don't think it is so much an issue for EV light vehicles as it is for truck fleets that will need multi megawatt servos to keep up with truck traffic.

A lot of the earliest road networks were laid out for horse and buggy and even if most people walk, a similar network needs to be in place for logistics reasons anyway (in Singapore, Tokyo, etc, a LOT of road traffic is public busses, delivery trucks/vans and taxis).

Jen heir rick
Aug 4, 2004
when a woman says something's not funny, you better not laugh your ass off

nachos posted:

EV infrastructure sucks but there are “biggest scam” articles and videos all over the internet about EVs so I’d take that with a grain of salt. I had a charger installed at home and it was a grand total of 2k for parts and labor.

I've thought about getting an ev. But my driveway is about 100 meters from my house, so I'd need to run a line out to it. Probably dig a trench. It'd be a lot more than 2000 dollars. I don't think ev is gonna work for me.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Jen heir rick posted:

I've thought about getting an ev. But my driveway is about 100 meters from my house, so I'd need to run a line out to it. Probably dig a trench. It'd be a lot more than 2000 dollars. I don't think ev is gonna work for me.

What kind of wild architectural design do you have where you have a driveway, but your driveway is roughly 1,000 feet from your house?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Inferior Third Season posted:

I like how the article just states that he was compelled to install a charger at his work at his own expense. If he spent $114K on the truck, he got one of the deluxe models with the extended range. That has an advertised range of 320 miles. Let's halve that for shits and giggles, and he needs to commute 80 miles each way to run out of juice before he gets home, necessitating a charger at work. That is more than four times the average American commute distance.

I also enjoyed the implication that the truck being in the shop for six months after a fender bender was somehow caused by the truck being an EV rather than it being a lovely, lazy shop.

And lol at one of the comments:

He lives in Canada, and not in the heavily-urbanized eastern parts either. Another article says his daily commute is 100 kilometers (60 miles round trip). But neither article mentions him having trouble using it to commute to work.

The problem is that he drives long distances for recreational purposes. He ran into issues when he tried to take his electric pickup truck on a 1400-mile road trip from Winnipeg to Chicago, expecting to stop off in random Minnesota suburbs (like Albertsville, population 7896) on the way to charge up. Aside from that, he likes to drive out to his lake cottage in the next province over (200km or 120 miles away, with no charger there), and apparently makes all sorts of other long-distance excursions into the wilderness for outdoor recreational purposes. It kinda seems like he just doesn't think things through very well.

But that's just one dude who had a bad experience. The real question is why reporters care about some random-rear end forum post.

Jen heir rick
Aug 4, 2004
when a woman says something's not funny, you better not laugh your ass off

What kind of wild architectural design do you have where you have a driveway, but your driveway is roughly 1,000 feet from your house?

I mispoke. I meant feet. I'm not good with distances

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

in what world is a meter almost ten feet?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

evilweasel posted:

in what world is a meter almost ten feet?

I misread it as 300, but he also meant to say feet instead of meter. Which makes a lot more sense.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk
measuring in feet never makes sense my friend.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Digging a trench in soft ground for an electrical conduit shouldn't be 2 grand, you can probably hire a small ditch witch thing and do it in an hour (once you've had someone locate the utilities).

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
There's people who always complain about being scammed because they don't do basic due diligence. He didn't look into whether an electric vehicle made sense for his lifestyle, which was an extreme of long distance travel in minimal infrastructure, he obviously didn't do proper diligence on the contractor he hired to install a charger, and he definitely didn't spend any time actually planning out this road trip.

Once a sucker, always a sucker.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Thanks Ants posted:

Digging a trench in soft ground for an electrical conduit shouldn't be 2 grand, you can probably hire a small ditch witch thing and do it in an hour (once you've had someone locate the utilities).

there are, uh, problems in not doing proper trenches for wires

https://www.nashvillescene.com/news...0in%20Kentucky.

its one thing to gently caress around with an internet cable, it's another to gently caress around with an electrical cable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I'm talking about the things that dig an actual trench that you can put electrical conduit in at the proper depth, in a bed of sand

https://www.ditchwitch.com/trenchers/walk-behind/c16x/

Hiring them for the day shouldn't be more than a couple hundred. It depends on the ground though, if you have loads of stone then it's more of a job.