Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

felked
Jul 4, 2023

Game had a bunch of tech problems but also design problems. They simplified it from smash but went too far. Even if netcode didn’t suck and the hitboxes weren’t ridiculous it wouldn’t be as good as smash ultimate.

Arya was pretty fun/goofy to play tho. The best part of the game (that related to the asoiaf thread) is bugs bunny after beating Arya would say “Westeros? more like Worst-eros”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

felked posted:

Arya was pretty fun/goofy to play tho. The best part of the game (that related to the asoiaf thread) is bugs bunny after beating Arya would say “Westeros? more like Worst-eros”

thread title??

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

JumpinJackFlash posted:

ASoIaF DC multiverse crossover when?

It turns out that Varys is actually Vandal Savage.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Gerold Dayne is Batman

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
I just came here to say what up my nuncles

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

escape artist posted:

Words are wind

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

escape artist posted:

Little and less.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Sephyr posted:

Little and less.

Fewer. :hmmno:

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Invalid Validation posted:

Even if he releases Winds. The next books sure as poo poo won’t be.

I'm sure he releases plenty of winds.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Yeah I got some winds for ya right here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FLRHejWAo8

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Currently working on game show and they made a "the books are never coming out" joke when the books came up in one of the questions. :xd:

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Liquid Communism posted:

I'm sure he releases plenty of winds.

It was my turn to make this ”joke” today.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

ruddiger posted:

Currently working on game show and they made a "the books are never coming out" joke when the books came up in one of the questions. :xd:

I really appreciated when that came up in Logan Lucky.

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

If this #fantasyseries has dwarves and elves, when are we getting orcs?

E: wait, are the orcs the stonemen?

LiterallyATomato fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Aug 11, 2023

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

emanresu tnuocca posted:

gurm's supposed desire not to let anyone continue his work or publish unauthorized derivatives of it will not last much after his death, like media conglamorates can't find a way past a fat dead man's dying wishes, heck I'd be shocked if his notes will actually be burned.

Much like Robert’s last will and testament to in Eddard XIII, the paper shield of his wishes won’t matter once Sanderson sits the throne.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Since it comes up so often in this thread I decided to try reading a Sanderson book and I think I'm fine with asoiaf never being finished actually

felked
Jul 4, 2023

Sanderson books are for old school fans of just trash fantasy but tons of lore. I regret to admit this hits me squarely in the chest

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

No shade on anyone for reading what they enjoy, it's just not for me. Also, having read some of his stuff now I understand where people are coming from when they say he'd be a terrible fit for continuing GRRMs style compared to Wheel of Time

mewse
May 2, 2006

Tarnop posted:

No shade on anyone for reading what they enjoy, it's just not for me. Also, having read some of his stuff now I understand where people are coming from when they say he'd be a terrible fit for continuing GRRMs style compared to Wheel of Time

Definitely he'd be the wrong person to finish asoiaf. He's even said he won't do it, for the obvious reasons, but people keep proposing it because he finished WoT.

I think a guy like Joe Abercrombie could do it, but why would a successful author want to entangle themselves in the lovely fandom that surrounds GoT now.. I think it would have to be a young author who wants the faustian bargain of fame for walking in GRRM's doddering footsteps

mark immune
Dec 14, 2019

put the teacher in the cope cage imo
The expanse guys basically ghost wrote half of what’s already been released right? They’d knock out the rest of the story no problem

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

It's a fun theory but unless Ty Franck's writing partner was very insistent about using a specific type of prose, the Expanse books were not written by the person who wrote ASOIAF

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

mewse posted:

I think it would have to be a young author who wants the faustian bargain of fame for walking in GRRM's doddering footsteps

Walking in the pear shaped man's footsteps

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Just need to get someone to make an abridged version of the TV show plot lines like they used to do for popular movies then slap on whatever dumb titles he came up with decades ago. Easy.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
A Dream of Spring written by the dude that wrote the Star Wars Episode III novelization

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Elman posted:

Walking in the pear shaped man's footsteps
Fifty million years ago he wrote the plot for half a show.
He lives in a railroad castle, blogs that writing is a hassle.

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

I've just realized that my oldest nephew is basically Joffrey and my younger nephew is Tommen. I guess that makes me Tyrion because I hate the one nephew and love the other.

Also my sister (their mother) is a blonde woman just past her prime and the boys' biological father is the kind to pick fights and usually win but is not very book-smart.

Where it breaks down is my father isn't clever and I haven't killed my mother (yet.)

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

Though my ex-wife DID get railed by a bunch of dudes the second we were divorced.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Did that happen before or after the last book came out.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

LiterallyATomato posted:

Though my ex-wife DID get railed by a bunch of dudes the second we were divorced.

Excuse me it's called making the 8

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

LiterallyATomato posted:

Also my sister (their mother) is a blonde woman just past her prime and the boys' biological father is the kind to pick fights and usually win but is not very book-smart.

Hopefully they're not brother and sister

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

A Dream of Spring written by the dude that wrote the Star Wars Episode III novelization

Matthew Stover...might be able to make something of all that mess.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
Okay, so, please excuse two shower thoughts:

First, how did the Small Council know that Viserys was dead? Sure they have spies placed well enough to get the news of Dany's pregnancy out of a huge steppe where nobody speaks Westerosi. But they just got that news. And you'd think their concern wouldn't be a pregnant 13 year old girl but her ostensibly adult brother who happens to also be the head of her house and also, you know, her king. Dany's pregnancy in such a contest would be like Viserys pannicking because Renly Barantheon had a kid. Is this the first instance of fast travel in the show and books?

Second, I wonder if there were monarchists in real life blogging about how Viserys was the rightful king and it's insane the audience cheered his death. Or how afterwards Dany is the rightful ruler, Jon is a queenslayer, and both Ned and Mark Addy got what they deserve for treason. I know that how seriously British people take the monarchy is overblown, but I've lived in the UK and these people are out there.

Randal
Apr 20, 2016

not adding value on SA one post at a time
Been a few years since I've read any of the books but weren't Jorah and Illryo reporting to Varys at the time?

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Why are y’all spoilering a decade old book

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

LiterallyATomato posted:

I've just realized that my oldest nephew is basically Joffrey and my younger nephew is Tommen. I guess that makes me Tyrion because I hate the one nephew and love the other.

Where it breaks down is my father isn't clever and I haven't killed my mother (yet.)
:sax:

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

TK-42-1 posted:

That particular spoiler is well over two decades old by now.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

TK-42-1 posted:

Dany shits herself in the desert for 12 hours and then there's no more words after that

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Bright Bart posted:

Okay, so, please excuse two shower thoughts:

First, how did the Small Council know that Viserys was dead? Sure they have spies placed well enough to get the news of Dany's pregnancy out of a huge steppe where nobody speaks Westerosi. But they just got that news. And you'd think their concern wouldn't be a pregnant 13 year old girl but her ostensibly adult brother who happens to also be the head of her house and also, you know, her king. Dany's pregnancy in such a contest would be like Viserys pannicking because Renly Barantheon had a kid. Is this the first instance of fast travel in the show and books?

Second, I wonder if there were monarchists in real life blogging about how Viserys was the rightful king and it's insane the audience cheered his death. Or how afterwards Dany is the rightful ruler, Jon is a queenslayer, and both Ned and Mark Addy got what they deserve for treason. I know that how seriously British people take the monarchy is overblown, but I've lived in the UK and these people are out there.

So first, obviously, Ned dies, Littlefinger and Orenna Tyrrell poison Joffrey, everybody you love dies at the Red Wedding. Daario Nyhaaris is secretly Victarion, and also a Targ. The books are never coming out, we know what we know, that’s like spoiling the Ea-Nasir Complaint Tablet.

And the answer is that chapters don’t always keep in step between each other, even though they sync up at points. We know there are spies reporting on Dany back to King’s Landing. And the different POVs are linear and internally consistent but frequently accordion around and play catch-up relative to each other. You can disagree with it as a stylistic choice, but it’s clearly intended and matches the fractured narrative as a whole while increasing tension.

Several people speak Westerosi, and a lot of the conversations are in some variety of Valyrian or Dothraki. Like this is just how spies work? You send people who can blend in and learn stuff, not just some dumb rear end in a top hat?

Viserys isn’t a threat because he doesn’t have an army. Khal Drogo meanwhile has a huge loving scary army, and his son would have a legitimate claim to the throne. Everyone is very aware you don’t have to robotically follow customs, and can instead back-stab and murder your way to power ; it’s kind of the point of the book/show.

Like they answered this question repeatedly. Ned and Robert talk at length. They’re more afraid of Dany because she’s more of a threat and they felt like being rational actors for a minute.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
jorah was spying for robert, so like, of course they knew, in fact he informed them she was pregnant and bound to vaes dothrak, she later exiles him once he confesses.

it's a plot point guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randal
Apr 20, 2016

not adding value on SA one post at a time

TK-42-1 posted:

I'm on drugs