Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

Cecily from F91 probably counts, too.

And she and Relena were clear riffs on Sayla, so... Huh. It looks much more organic as a development put in that light. Never really thought of it like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

Cecily from F91 probably counts, too.

I thought about her, Sayla, and Minerva but I excluded them. For the standard Peace Princess archetype in Gundam I believe we should go by this rubrick

Are they radically inclined towards peace?

Does their station in life give them an outsized impact on the politics of the world regardless of their actual abilities?

Are they primarily non combatants

Does their identity need to be kept secret to keep the political situation from boiling over?

Cecily hits a few, but her combat impact actually outstrips her political value in F91 and her political utility is almost useless in crossbones aside from making her the only rallying point for the Vanguardist remnants.

Mineva in ZZ is too under Hamans thrall to be independent politically nor does she advance any real peace agenda.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Gripweed posted:

it's an extremely stupid way to criticize media.
its online catchphrase feminism, it absolutely is that

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Gripweed posted:

Fridging originally referred to the trend from American comics of having superheroes' girlfriends get horribly murdered just to motivate the hero. With the term coming from the time Green Lantern came home to find his girlfriend in the fridge. These were characters who existed for no reason beyond to be sexy and then get murdered. That was what the term was describing and criticizing. It has to mean more than just "women dying to motivate the protagonist" because if that's all it means the it's an extremely stupid way to criticize media. It's fiction, most things that happen to motivate the protagonist. Flay was one of the best realized characters in the whole show, she had her own arc, and her death was a conclusion to her own arc. If that's fridging, then who gives a poo poo about fridging?

Nicol, aside from his gender, is much closer to the textbook definition of fridging. He only existed to be gentle and then die horribly to motivate Kira and Athrun.

imo an especially important detail about that specific comic is that the girlfriend only existed for like, 2-3 issues. She never got to be her own character, she's just Green Lantern's girlfriend, she was immediately killed in a violent way and there's nothing you can say about her except her death. If instead of dying she broke up with him and left town never to be seen again nobody would remember her.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the violence of what happened to her is also an important aspect. theres a difference between a female character dying and a female character being cut up and stuffed into a fridge. there's a certain level of cruelty or brutality that's often reserved for female characters in an attempt to make their deaths even more upsetting or shocking. seed i think is relatively fair about this in that every death in the show is bizarrely graphic.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Endorph posted:

the violence of what happened to her is also an important aspect. theres a difference between a female character dying and a female character being cut up and stuffed into a fridge. there's a certain level of cruelty or brutality that's often reserved for female characters in an attempt to make their deaths even more upsetting or shocking. seed i think is relatively fair about this in that every death in the show is bizarrely graphic.

The problem is that while edgy content has always had a place in Gundam, SEED handles it in a very incompetent fashion that is distracting and feels out of place when compared to everything else about SEED aesthetically

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I think you can make an argument that there's some value to Tolle and Nichol's deaths being shockingly graphic to hammer in the point to Kira and Athrun, but then the show has stuff like the microwave weapon that kills a bunch of mooks in a horrific way for no real narrative reason.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the funny thing about sayla is that she probably could have become a peace princess. she had all the elements available. but sayla made her own decisions in life and had no interest in being a symbol, public or otherwise. and everyone just left her alone!

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

the funny thing about sayla is that she probably could have become a peace princess. she had all the elements available. but sayla made her own decisions in life and had no interest in being a symbol, public or otherwise. and everyone just left her on safari!

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

the funny thing about sayla is that she probably could have become a peace princess. she had all the elements available. but sayla made her own decisions in life and had no interest in being a symbol, public or otherwise. and everyone just left her alone!

the universal century descended into cannibalism and then apocalypse shortly after coincidence??

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

That's part of what I found interesting here.

You have a chain of development from Sayla to Cecily to Shakti to Relena to Diana that's a clear development for the archetype, making "Gundam Peace Princess" a clear archetype.

Clear enough that, when SEED was released, they split the main Peace Princess and the Sayla into separate characters (Cagili still had some of the later archetype baggage attached, mind, but Lacus had the bulk of it), and later shows just kept the Peace Princess around. Kudelia, for example, isn't a pilot, has no connection to anyone else important in the plot (her dad vanishes from the story once she disowns him) and isn't remotely secretive.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

The one from 00 is the worst one of that archetype, like she's so unimportant that if you chopped her scenes out of Season 1 you would lose nothing of note or worth(and indeed it would tighten things up if you're like me and prefer treating 00 Season 1 as a standalone work and ignore the existence of either Season 2 or Awakening of Trailblazer)

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

drrockso20 posted:

The one from 00 is the worst one of that archetype, like she's so unimportant that if you chopped her scenes out of Season 1 you would lose nothing of note or worth(and indeed it would tighten things up if you're like me and prefer treating 00 Season 1 as a standalone work and ignore the existence of either Season 2 or Awakening of Trailblazer)

She's important for Setsuna's story, their relationship shows Setsuna's growth from being anti-war to pro-peace, if that makes sense. At the start of the armed interventions, Setsuna is committed to Celestial Being's mission and still full of anger at the general state of things. You see this with how he interacts with Marina, he doesn't blame her specifically but he's clearly angry with her. Over the course of the show, and partly due to his interactions with Marina, he loses that anger and becomes more concerned with Celestial Being's ideals.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

drrockso20 posted:

She is the absolute worst. I know 00 has some big, big fans here and elsewhere but I've never heard anyone say "oh man, I loved Marina."

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I think Marina really suffers from the politics of the show being very shallow and not very thought out. Theoretically, the leader of a war torn poor little country could be a fantastic way to show the audience how Celestial Beings' actions were affecting the globe politically. But that wasn't a focus of the show. So Marina is just there for the benefit of Setsuna's character

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Gripweed posted:

I think Marina really suffers from the politics of the show being very shallow and not very thought out. Theoretically, the leader of a war torn poor little country could be a fantastic way to show the audience how Celestial Beings' actions were affecting the globe politically. But that wasn't a focus of the show. So Marina is just there for the benefit of Setsuna's character

and setsuna barely seems to care about her either half the time

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Endorph posted:

and setsuna barely seems to care about her either half the time

Setsuna was too busy still fighting to care.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
there was some gundam crossover game where you could use a lot of non-pilot characters as pilots in any gundam you pleased. just about everyone had unique lines for god gundam, including marina. it was funny as hell and i wish i could find that youtube video again.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Ss Gundam cross rays

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

there was some gundam crossover game where you could use a lot of non-pilot characters as pilots in any gundam you pleased. just about everyone had unique lines for god gundam, including marina. it was funny as hell and i wish i could find that youtube video again.

Literally everyone in the God Gundam in SD Cross Rays.

The first comment of the video has timestamps for everyone, including Marina.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Gripweed posted:

She's important for Setsuna's story, their relationship shows Setsuna's growth from being anti-war to pro-peace, if that makes sense. At the start of the armed interventions, Setsuna is committed to Celestial Being's mission and still full of anger at the general state of things. You see this with how he interacts with Marina, he doesn't blame her specifically but he's clearly angry with her. Over the course of the show, and partly due to his interactions with Marina, he loses that anger and becomes more concerned with Celestial Being's ideals.

Again sure if you're including Season 2 but I'm specifically excluding anything after Season 1 and Season 1 Marina is extremely pointless as a character

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I don't even know if "Setsuna starts as an angry robot desperate to destroy what he sees as the distortion in the world, but eventually becomes a less angry robot desperate to destroy what he sees as the distortion in the world" actually qualifies as meaningful development or an arc, too. Even if Marina successfully makes him less angry about it - which is extremely debatable, given that she basically loses the ability to interact with him after S1 - it doesn't really change anything meaningful.

Sander
Sep 10, 2022
All this debate about how meaningful she is to Setsuna reminds me of this gem

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgVM9NOk3Dw

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Is Gundam Reconwhatever in G any good?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's very divisive. you can probably finish watching it before the argument in this thread you just incited is over.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Synthbuttrange posted:

Top 3 gundam

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Synthbuttrange posted:

It's a very pretty show with lots of extremely odd writing choices that you're going to have to decide for yourself whether you vibe with or not.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Synthbuttrange posted:

It is fantastic. It just requires you to pay more attention than most anime. Lots of important world building done through casual dialogue and important character work you have to put together yourself based on the character's actions.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
and that’s why!

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Reconguista has some big ideas and also has a sense of adventure to it but I'm also not sure it's able to pull them together to be a great show like Gainer or Turn A. It's worth a watch though as it's not a boring show as stuff is happening and the cast is fun

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
G-Self is one of my favourite Gundams and its addons are cool.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

G-Reco has a good Haro

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007
Hot drat, I just finished December Sky and that may have been my favorite bit of Gundam content ever. Top tier themes, music, animation, everything really.

My only minor gripe is that a lot of the scenes felt a bit underbaked or abbreviated, which I have to assume isn’t a problem in the OVA version? Wondering if I should watch the next movie or catch it in episodic form instead?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

The movie only has additional animation over the OVAs to my knowledge, there is no value in going back to those

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Reconguista has some big ideas and also has a sense of adventure to it but I'm also not sure it's able to pull them together to be a great show like Gainer or Turn A. It's worth a watch though as it's not a boring show as stuff is happening and the cast is fun

I just started on Gainer and cannot stop myself from constantly singing the King! King! King! Gainer bit of the OP out loud.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I see the last G-Reco movie came out a few months ago are they worth watching if you’ve already seen the show?

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

hatty posted:

I see the last G-Reco movie came out a few months ago are they worth watching if you’ve already seen the show?

I watched the movies a few weeks ago and they were solid

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Is there an option for watching the last two movies that isn't piracy or importing the super-expensive Japanese disks?

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

hatty posted:

There's some new stuff and some added explanations but it's not major changes so while I think they're a decent watch it's not must see if TV was enough G-reco for you. Plus the run time is almost the same as the TV series over the 5 movies lamo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Is there a notable bump in the animation in spots? Might be worth checking out for that alone.