Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Eason the Fifth posted:

He's OK I guess

:catstare:

Yeah, I could make the same stuff, easy. If I really wanted to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

actionjackson posted:

ColdPie said you guys might like this (I know nothing about woodworking)

An uncle of mine has been working on his home forever (over a decade) in the "arts and crafts" style. He used to be a cabinet maker. I finally got to visit - everything with wood he did himself.

That's gorgeous. Strong Greene & Greene vibes in the best way.

FISHMANPET posted:

Since I'm a dummy, can anyone tell me what kind of wood that is?
Almost certainly cherry with little or no stain and a few years of age.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
Looks very much like cherry with a few years of seasoning to me. The style isn't exactly my cup of tea, but I take my hat off for such tasty work.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Did he do the stained glass too? I love stained glass windows and they aren't nearly common enough imo

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Cloud lifts to tha moooooon

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

PokeJoe posted:

Did he do the stained glass too? I love stained glass windows and they aren't nearly common enough imo

He had someone do those for him. He and his wife loved hiking so they were themed after that

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

That's gorgeous. Strong Greene & Greene vibes in the best way.

yes! they mentioned that name, and the Gamble house

not sure about the wood types, except the table is walnut I think

I'm not sure what the pieces on the upper part of the cabinet doors are called. the curve in them is also seen in the ceiling pillars or whatever you call them

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

get your uncle a forums account

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

actionjackson posted:

I'm not sure what the pieces on the upper part of the cabinet doors are called.

ColdPie posted:

Cloud lifts to tha moooooon

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

actionjackson posted:

An uncle of mine has been working on his home forever (over a decade) in the "arts and crafts" style. He used to be a cabinet maker. I finally got to visit - everything with wood he did himself.

:captainpop:

I loving quit holy poo poo

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I’m going to epoxy my threaded bolt holder/socket/whatever back into the wood. What should I do to ensure I don’t get epoxy in the bolt threading, especially as I screw the holder back down? Cover the other opening with tape or something?

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Just wax the bolt threads and screw it into the hole before you glue it in. Use some paste wax or just rub it on a candle if you don't have other wax. You can unscrew the bolt after the epoxy partiaially sets (can't jiggle it around) if you're concerned about gluing the bolt in

Meow Meow Meow
Nov 13, 2010

Really nice work, thank you for posting.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

PokeJoe posted:

Just wax the bolt threads and screw it into the hole before you glue it in. Use some paste wax or just rub it on a candle if you don't have other wax. You can unscrew the bolt after the epoxy partiaially sets (can't jiggle it around) if you're concerned about gluing the bolt in

Hm.. I could rub some sex wax in there, that’s all I’ve got.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

tha'ts probably fine. for real

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

so is chapstick, works great in a pinch and comes in a handy applicator

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Your Friendly Neighborhood Gun Nut
For the solid variety actually ran across a recommendation to use Guff canning wax. Actually works awesome and super cheap.

Although it may or may not stand up to heat in the garage during Texas summers.... Would recommend storing in a cup or something so it converts from a block into a puck instead of a puddle. The stalactite hanging from my workbench was pretty impressive though.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

actionjackson posted:

Aw hell yeah, that's fab. Does he like art deco much. Agree with the grain knowers that the woodwork is cherry, table with the lovely burl almost certainly walnut.

edit- windows, muntins, everything. That is loving Impressive

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

here's one more picture of my uncle's place

also i forgot to add, where that walnut table is, below that seating those are all storage drawers, not just panels. he has those everywhere.

i don't think he's into art deco but i'm not sure. yes the table is walnut he confirmed

Only registered members can see post attachments!

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Aug 11, 2023

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005
It's got as good as that poster's uncle, but I'm pretty pleased with how my shelf turned out.

The top is going to have some cushions for our cats to lounge on and look out the dining room window.

Schiavona
Oct 8, 2008

Danhenge posted:

It's got as good as that poster's uncle, but I'm pretty pleased with how my shelf turned out.

The top is going to have some cushions for our cats to lounge on and look out the dining room window.

Love the routing on the interior edges

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

Schiavona posted:

Love the routing on the interior edges

Thanks! It was a pain and there are some divots where I messed up, but I'm still pleased overall. I probably won't even stare at them in pain every time I look at it.

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?
Last year I made a stool as part of a class at a nearby workshop, my first project since high school. Ever since then it's been sitting unfinished, but I don't know where to start. I've ordered a Bob Flexner book from the library but does anybody have any simple recommendations of what type of finish to get? Stool is made of pine btw.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name

Captain_Person posted:

Last year I made a stool as part of a class at a nearby workshop, my first project since high school. Ever since then it's been sitting unfinished, but I don't know where to start. I've ordered a Bob Flexner book from the library but does anybody have any simple recommendations of what type of finish to get? Stool is made of pine btw.

Oil it and wax it if you want it to stay looking pine-ey.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I like Briwax because you can buff it to whatever sheen, and it dilutes and cleans up easy with mineral spirits so you can control the tone with it. Comes in lots of colors and really goes a long way.

Shellac, optional alcohol dye, and some wax also makes a really nice finish for pine.

Both of these dry in about a day and are relatively easy to repair finishes, although not very water resistant. Coasters are another woodworking project though.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Captain_Person posted:

Pine is kind of a pain to stain well. Have you considered painting it with something like milk paint? Otherwise I would leave it unstained and do any of the clear option other folks have mentioned. Shellac is especially good because it will bring a little bit of a warm color to the party.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

HolHorsejob posted:

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good-quality budget table saw fence? The original fence that came with this 1950s craftsman 113 is toast.

I see a number of aftermarket replacements starting at $250 for the delta T3. Is that the floor price I can expect for something of reasonable quality?

All of the decent aftermarket ones I've seen are just rebadges of the Delta T3 anyway.

I have a 36-725T2 and the fence is pretty great. I 3D printed an endcap box that holds replacement screws (the nylon grub screws do wear over time; I replaced them with PETG ones that wear out over a year or so but they took thirty minutes to print so I don't care) and haven't touched it otherwise.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Pine is kind of a pain to stain well. Have you considered painting it with something like milk paint? Otherwise I would leave it unstained and do any of the clear option other folks have mentioned. Shellac is especially good because it will bring a little bit of a warm color to the party.

General Finishes oil stains after a coat of Minwax pre-conditioner come out pretty nice IMO. It'll still have will have color gradations, but the splotching should be minimized and congratulations, you just made An Art about it.

I'd probably stain (or as you say, just finish clear) the top and paint the legs, but I have a type about that sort of thing.

tracecomplete fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Aug 13, 2023

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Your Friendly Neighborhood Gun Nut

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Always wanted to go with shellac for pine, but haven't yet found the project to do it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UssYj-98oCg

I always hear it's not very resistant to water, but since it's alcohol based shouldn't that provide a decent amount of protection? Assuming you don't have water just pooled up on the table for hours and hours it should be fine especially with a topcoat of paste wax right?

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Bob Mundon posted:

Always wanted to go with shellac for pine, but haven't yet found the project to do it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UssYj-98oCg

I always hear it's not very resistant to water, but since it's alcohol based shouldn't that provide a decent amount of protection? Assuming you don't have water just pooled up on the table for hours and hours it should be fine especially with a topcoat of paste wax right?

Shellac doesn't melt away like the wicked witch when exposed to water, but if you let water sit on it for a while, it will make the shellac cloudy. I'm not sure how much (if any) protection a coat of wax would give in a situation like that. If it gets wet and you wipe it up right away, it will be fine. Interestingly, according to Flexner's book (and my memory from reading it 20 years ago), shellac is one of the best finishes at blocking water vapor (humidity), but one of the worst at blocking actual water.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I think the point where I started having fun with home ownership is the point I started regularly using corded saws on the house

Meow Meow Meow
Nov 13, 2010
I completed my replica Hans Wegnar "Chair 25" walnut and danish cord. If you are interested in the build see the build thread here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4034455

Or just ask my questions here if you have any

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I’m just really mad about how quickly you got that done

Looks great!

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

I did some "it's fine" woodworking today, building new shelves for the lovely wish.com "outdoor" greenhouse we keep some plants in.

But it's notable because it's the first time I turned on the table saw in like, 6 months.

Meow Meow Meow
Nov 13, 2010

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I’m just really mad about how quickly you got that done

Looks great!

Thanks, I can only really do one project at a time, so it's always progressing.

I hope this is the motivation you need to finish your chair.

I am on a chair quest though now...starting one of three prototypes for a future dining set. I want to try two variants of an Appalachian ladderback and one windsor, then I will get my family to vote and I'll build 7 more.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Do you have any concern for how small the contact patch is on the rear legs of that chair, MMM? It looks amazing but I'd be worried about wear & tear on those spots.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird
How do you align an aftermarket fence onto a table saw? I got a delta T3 fence recently, and it's a bit wider than the cast iron table + extensions. Should I center it on the blade, or add the extra length to just the right side?

Meow Meow Meow
Nov 13, 2010

Leperflesh posted:

Do you have any concern for how small the contact patch is on the rear legs of that chair, MMM? It looks amazing but I'd be worried about wear & tear on those spots.

I have some concern, and I had planned to have more contact, but sort of botched the template when I made it. Either way, it has more contact than the original, the original is rounded at the back so has even less than the tiny flats mine does. I am hopeful Carl Hansen (the maker of the original) would have changed up the back legs over the years had it been a spot that was suffering prematurely, but since they haven't, maybe I will be okay.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I'm making a simple storm window insert for an old basement window (I think they are the original 1924) and I had a few questions:

1) how deep/wide should the rabbets be?
2) for glazing should I use glaze or silicone caulk?
3) should I use glass or plexiglass? The window is facing the driveway at about calf height.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

The Slack Lagoon posted:

I'm making a simple storm window insert for an old basement window (I think they are the original 1924) and I had a few questions:

3) should I use glass or plexiglass? The window is facing the driveway at about calf height.

My storm inserts use plexiglass, silicone caulk (and glazing points just to be sure) and the rabbet is... beats me. I eyeballed it. Deep and wide enough to get the glazing points in and covered in caulk, whatever that comes out to be.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Here's a Craftsman Blog post about the matter:

https://thecraftsmanblog.com/diy-storm-windows/

You can take or leave his advice as you like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

HolHorsejob posted:

How do you align an aftermarket fence onto a table saw? I got a delta T3 fence recently, and it's a bit wider than the cast iron table + extensions. Should I center it on the blade, or add the extra length to just the right side?
Usually the fence rail goes about to the left edge of the table (or a little less so you don’t bump into it) and then however long it is to the right. You want some fence rail to the left of the blade because sometimes you need to move the fence over there for angled cuts depending on which way the blade tilts.