Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

John Romero posted:

place out here charging $50 for a starter and booster pack, ,insane

loving hell, they know this has a public MSRP right? The starter decks are supposed to be $18

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

DalaranJ posted:

loving hell, they know this has a public MSRP right? The starter decks are supposed to be $18

Yeah, like, my FLGS is charging over MSRP by a bit, but we're talking "6.49 for a pack, 150 for a box, 20 for starters" territory. Some of the prices I've seen have been utter nonsense.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Demand is high, supply is 'gently caress all'. Most places that I have talked to are lucky if they are getting 20% of what they ordered.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Meant to post this earlier.

So, uh... I'm not sure which is worse, MTGFinance Bros or Disney Adults.

neosloth
Sep 5, 2013

Professional Procrastinator
Our locals are all around 50 for a starter. I signed up because I misread it as giving you two extra packs after the event is finished but it was an opportunity to buy 2 more packs

Absolute insanity

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming
The word from several LGS on the discord is that there are more waves for Set 1 coming this year, another in September and then one in ~December. And will likely keep getting printed all next year too while they build up the card pool.

Singles should be really cheap in a couple months, especially commons through rares.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
Am I right in thinking that Lorcana doesn't have a Uniqueness rule? You can have 4 "Anna, Heir to Arendelle" in play at once?

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

hyphz posted:

Am I right in thinking that Lorcana doesn't have a Uniqueness rule? You can have 4 "Anna, Heir to Arendelle" in play at once?

Correct. You can also have multiple versions of a character in play at the same time, so you could have up to 4 Aladdin heroic outlaw in play at the same time as you have up to 4 Aladdin street rat in play.

nomadotto
Oct 25, 2010

Body of a Penguin
Soul of a Hero
Mind of a Lazy, Easily Distracted, Waste of Space

CitizenKeen posted:

Meant to post this earlier.

So, uh... I'm not sure which is worse, MTGFinance Bros or Disney Adults.

Is this from an LGS? 50$ for a starter and the privilege of getting to play in an event for a day? This has gotta be a joke.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

nomadotto posted:

Is this from an LGS? 50$ for a starter and the privilege of getting to play in an event for a day? This has gotta be a joke.

It's $50-80 at every LGS in a 30 mile radius from me. They've all already sold out spots for events.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

nomadotto posted:

That particular one is from Greg's Games in NJ, but it's representative of a lot of LGSes right now: https://twitter.com/GregsGamesLLC/status/1689328836414943234

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Yeah, poo poo like that is making me so thankful for my LGS. I'd much rather wait for my fulfillment than my LGS basically be just as bad as the loving scalpers.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

LifeLynx posted:

It's $50-80 at every LGS in a 30 mile radius from me. They've all already sold out spots for events.

I haven't seen Beanie Baby level furvor like this in a while. Maybe when Nintendo Amiibo were new? I have to assume everything will calm down when the cards actually hit retail in September?

Meanwhile, my poor descision from Hill's WHolesale gaming arrived! Everything was there, and I'm living like it's 1997 again.

NOSTALGIA! I read an article back in the day that hyped these cards like crazy. Decipher was so proud of the printing! The set was sold in a portfolio at a premium price. It's really fun to be able to get cheap, because the print quality doesn't live up to the hype.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Failson posted:

I haven't seen Beanie Baby level furvor like this in a while. Maybe when Nintendo Amiibo were new? I have to assume everything will calm down when the cards actually hit retail in September?

Meanwhile, my poor descision from Hill's WHolesale gaming arrived! Everything was there, and I'm living like it's 1997 again.

NOSTALGIA! I read an article back in the day that hyped these cards like crazy. Decipher was so proud of the printing! The set was sold in a portfolio at a premium price. It's really fun to be able to get cheap, because the print quality doesn't live up to the hype.

They had some cute tricks in the print process for some of the cards (Locutus's laser going out of the frame) and there were some gimmicky add ins like the bubble gum. I remember it being fiendishly expensive; at half the price it could probably have been more palatable.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
WEM is talking about a press-only preview of a game called Altered. https://boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/151028/are-you-ready-get-altered-gen-con-2024

I am immediately pretty cold on it because it includes two things I find tiresome:
  • Mash up of public domain characters and myths/legends (aka the 'free idea bucket')
  • QR codes
As I dug into the latter, it just got worse and worse. The QR codes are apparently to register the individual card to you for an additional form of digital ownership. Not like Pokemon or one of those Warhammer games where you can scan to add them to an online collection for bookkeeping or digital play purposes where cards are fungible. No, as far as I can tell, this links you to the individual physical cards. They say it's a means to avoid counterfeits, but also allow replacement of damaged cards like they're the loving Bureau of Engraving and Printing. It sounds like the counterfeits is what they care about and the rest is just a side benefit, but who knows if that will be effective.

My first question is: who in their right mind is going to bother with that poo poo? "Okay I traded this to that guy, so I gotta scan it and then he's gotta scan it." or "Oh I loaned it to a friend but I forgot to move it on the app." That sounds more complicated than "Yeah, you can borrow my four copies of Urza's Sad Post-Divorce Bachelor Pad for that tourney." At the same point, if you don't scan your cards and they get stolen then they can gain ownership of them. So, everyone will likely be priced into this cockamamie app. Are there going to be deck scans at tournaments to check for compliance? How fast can the app read these things?

That's not even the end of it. Typically CCGs only raise cybersecurity questions when they accidentally become the home for bitcoins, but now we have questions like "Is it possible for someone to steal my app account and then get reprints of my cards? If that happens, what happens to my cards? Can I use my card ownership to get my account back? If so, can someone social engineer that to get my account after stealing my cards?" Fundamentally these are extremely complicated solutions to the problems of CCG ownership. It sounds like it was conceived by an NFT bro or something, though I see no destructive blockchain crap. So, be thankful for small mercies I guess.

Mechanically, it has some similarity to Lorcana and other Duel Masters clones with facedown cards as some form or resource, and something similar to Flesh And Blood's arsenal where you can play things "from memory" which is a non-hand hand it seems like. It also has the FAB thing of "different versions of a card with same name and art" but here they are stretched across rarities and appear to feature strictly better versions instead of varied tradeoffs for pitch value or card effects.

Like, there's no universe in which this succeeds, right?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

It has "unique" variants of the commons and rares. It's totally a pump-and-dump "investors buy all the stock" TCG.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Magnetic North posted:

[*]QR codes[/list]
As I dug into the latter, it just got worse and worse. The QR codes are apparently to register the individual card to you for an additional form of digital ownership. Not like Pokemon or one of those Warhammer games where you can scan to add them to an online collection for bookkeeping or digital play purposes where cards are fungible. No, as far as I can tell, this links you to the individual physical cards.

This sounds like good news to me. It's obviously an NFT, but the term NFT has now become so toxic that you can't call it an NFT.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

If you've ever looked at some old legendary cards from FFTCG's older sets and winced at paying $40 for an Al-Cid, good news. The 2024 Anniversary Box is reprinting some dizzyingly expensive legends from past sets, and with that amount of aggressive reprint value, it's possible that other extremely expensive staples like Amaterasu, Chocobo, etc. might be reprinted as well in the rare/hero rarity reprints as well.

Given how good the 2022 anniversary box is as a starter option, this will make a perfect compliment to it.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Magnetic North posted:

*Bad card game words*

They're not just going to slap QR codes on the cards, right? Because that would be really ugly...

... They just slapped QR codes on the cards.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
yo what the gently caress is weiss schwartz

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Kyrosiris posted:

If you've ever looked at some old legendary cards from FFTCG's older sets and winced at paying $40 for an Al-Cid, good news. The 2024 Anniversary Box is reprinting some dizzyingly expensive legends from past sets, and with that amount of aggressive reprint value, it's possible that other extremely expensive staples like Amaterasu, Chocobo, etc. might be reprinted as well in the rare/hero rarity reprints as well.

Given how good the 2022 anniversary box is as a starter option, this will make a perfect compliment to it.

how much they charge for one of these fuckers

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
You can still find the 22 box on amazon for $45.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

John Romero posted:

how much they charge for one of these fuckers

I want to say MSRP is like $60? The 2022 kit is available for like 35-40 from most places, though, SE printed loads and I hope the 2024 box gets just as aggressively printed.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

triple sulk posted:

FWIW, I played a few games of Lorcana on the Pixelborn client.
How'd you find games, do we have a local community or just trawling their discord?

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

John Romero posted:

yo what the gently caress is weiss schwartz

Waifu Schwarz? It's basically "let's take all of these hella mid slice of life moeblob animes, add a few bigger names to get the normies interested (like Attack on Titan, Fate, Persona, Jojo), and have them thunderdome it out." There's something called a climax, and there's even a special "climax zone", but iunno, when it comes to hearing people talk about young anime girls and climaxes at all, let alone in public, I get skeeved out pretty quick. Only saw a couple of people playing it in my area (which led to overhearing about said "climax zone"), but apparently from looking online it's been around since 2007? More power to people who like it, but it feels like something that would put me on an FBI watch list.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Okay I got two games of Lorcana in, I imported a starter deck just to see what's what. Verdict is it's pretty fun, it'll be interesting to see what an expansion or two and the meta bastards really sitting down to try and break poo poo make of it.

Your experience will definitely be enhanced if the sentence "I was winning until the bastard just kept singing Be Prepared" is amusing to you. Because seriously, I was. Goddamn goose-stepping hyenas.

CapnAndy fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Aug 15, 2023

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Aniodia posted:

Waifu Schwarz? It's basically "let's take all of these hella mid slice of life moeblob animes, add a few bigger names to get the normies interested (like Attack on Titan, Fate, Persona, Jojo), and have them thunderdome it out." There's something called a climax, and there's even a special "climax zone", but iunno, when it comes to hearing people talk about young anime girls and climaxes at all, let alone in public, I get skeeved out pretty quick. Only saw a couple of people playing it in my area (which led to overhearing about said "climax zone"), but apparently from looking online it's been around since 2007? More power to people who like it, but it feels like something that would put me on an FBI watch list.

I liked Attack on Titan season 1, so I played it when that came out on Adult Swim. I stopped and sold my cards after the guys I was playing with got way too excited about some swimsuit set. I kind of liked how the game played, where cards were used multiple ways depending on what zone they were in, and the built-in catch-up mechanic, but it wasn't enjoyable once I looked at the other cards.

Japan got a Star Wars set, which is pretty neat. But it wasn't printed in English because I think Fantasy Flight has the license for all Star Wars card games in English or something like that.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Aniodia posted:

Weren't the first sets based on idol anime? I always thought the Climax zone was referring to the hight-point of a performance rather than orgasms.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

CapnAndy posted:

How'd you find games, do we have a local community or just trawling their discord?

Assuming you didn't find it already, look up Pixelborn. It was a good enough solution to form an opinion on the game.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Aniodia posted:

lol alright. No interest in playing it, I was just updating my son’s Pokémon in the Collectr app and accidentally swiped over to it. Surprisingly enough the swimsuit cards are worth the most money. The cards have an insane amount of small text on them too

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming
Pixelborn (the unofficial lorcana online client) has over 10,000 unique users now :O

And here are some decks that have gone 2-0/3-0 in the tournament they are running, including a surprising Item deck.

https://lorcanahq.com/seeing-the-meta-through-ruby-colored-glasses-decklists-inside/

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

goodness posted:

Pixelborn (the unofficial lorcana online client) has over 10,000 unique users now :O

He is also running a Patreon which seems to be just asking for trouble..

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

hyphz posted:

He is also running a Patreon which seems to be just asking for trouble..
Well, the client doesn't "officially" have any of the copyrighted cards or artwork or juicy, juicy IP in it. I'm not a lawyer, but it seems like the best you could do is sue him over copying the game mechanics?

Also, it's frankly amazing that literally quicker than it took for the game to come out, some madlad threw together a client to play it online in Unity and it's a working, stable experience. If Ravensburger is smart, they'll keep the lawyers in their pocket and hire him.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

John Romero posted:

lol alright. No interest in playing it, I was just updating my son’s Pokémon in the Collectr app and accidentally swiped over to it. Surprisingly enough the swimsuit cards are worth the most money. The cards have an insane amount of small text on them too

Not really a suprise, the waifu demographic has no shame. I stumbled into a box breaking stream for Weiss once and that is how I learned of the term "booba" among other things. If it's female and anime someone is creeping on it, doesn't matter the franchise.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

CapnAndy posted:

Okay I got two games of Lorcana in, I imported a starter deck just to see what's what. Verdict is it's pretty fun, it'll be interesting to see what an expansion or two and the meta bastards really sitting down to try and break poo poo make of it.

Your experience will definitely be enhanced if the sentence "I was winning until the bastard just kept singing Be Prepared" is amusing to you. Because seriously, I was. Goddamn goose-stepping hyenas.

Tha got a lol from me. If I can win a game with a relentless barrage of "It's a Small World After All" I'm in.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

There are other viable archetypes, but Purple seems to be head and shoulders above any other Lorcana color because it's got all the goddamn card draw. Everyone else is burning their own hands down to the wick for ink and purple can just feed itself more cards every turn so they can keep inking up and have options.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Just got a call from my FLGS that my Lorcana order (a Trove + all three starters) is available tomorrow. :toot:

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Reports coming in that one of the big three distributors didn't get Lorcana in time to ship out this weekend. Stores reporting they have to cancel launch events.

:ughh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

CitizenKeen posted:

Reports coming in that one of the big three distributors didn't get Lorcana in time to ship out this weekend. Stores reporting they have to cancel launch events.

:ughh:

yeah all the places gouging here are getting theirs tho