Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

buglord posted:

Wait I forgot to ask the most important question since it was easily one of my favorite features of FO4/76

Is there base building?

Yes. Both Base Building and Ship building.

Inverness posted:

I think they just worded it weirdly. They mention tiles because their map system in several past games is based on tiles (called cells in the game) that are arranged together in a grid to form the world.

In those past games they used procedural generation to create the terrain and insert it in the game during development. Then developers would go through each tile and add what the game needed.

Here with Starfield the procedural generation happens at runtime while the game is being played. It makes sense that their procedural generation system would work with their existing tile-based world system. They keep the map size down because the map is generated at runtime, so it doesn't have to be stored in the game files.

I don't think they would have the terrain generation seed be different for every player because there is no need to. Your terrain is already going to be different depending on whatever pixel you click on when you want to land on a planet (assuming it's not a pre-known location), so you'll get plenty of variety. Also, using the same seed has an advantage in that you can QA everything ahead of time if necessary.

This is a decent approximation of the info we have been given. It's worth adding that where things are known to differ player to player (or even save file to save file) is the POIs/encounters/details that are generated for any given area of a planet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I hope you can put NPCs in those bases/ships, kinda like terraria. In fallout 4 it felt a little barren

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.

buglord posted:

Wait I forgot to ask the most important question since it was easily one of my favorite features of FO4/76

Is there base building?
Yes. You can see it in the Direct. You can build bases to do research and/or collect resources.

Also, the fact that your ship is a mobile base makes it much more appealing to me. In previous games I just wanted to place to store valuables and then leave. I was never interested in decorating a place I'd never spend any time in. Base-building on planets is also more appealing because it's more visually interesting and not a burned-out wasteland like in FO4.

One thing that doesn't seem to be in the game is space station building though. It seems unlikely that they'd keep that a secret. I also wonder if there is going to be any underwater base building, or even if they have any significant underwater content at all in the game.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

buglord posted:

I hope you can put NPCs in those bases/ships, kinda like terraria. In fallout 4 it felt a little barren

In Fallout 4 you could get settlers for your settlements but they never stopped bitching about how hard life was. Might as well not have any and build robots to run your shop stalls instead.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

buglord posted:

You can.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

isndl posted:

In Fallout 4 you could get settlers for your settlements but they never stopped bitching about how hard life was. Might as well not have any and build robots to run your shop stalls instead.

Oh goodness I remember that. For the 3 people I could bring in, they’d be like “you…I don’t think I can trust you” and it’s like my dude I built one of the nicest looking places I in the wasteland for you and you’re disrespecting me like this

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
You built a house out of broken lightbulbs and teddy bears duct taped together; I wouldn't trust you either

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

buglord posted:

Is there base building?

yes.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

can't wait to build my own moonbase in elder scrolls 6

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

VostokProgram posted:

can't wait to build my own moonbase in elder scrolls 6

On which moon?

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

Vichan posted:

You can.

Plus those NPCs will have a few perks (represented on their clothes with the appropriate patch from the skill tree) so you won’t want to put an ace pilot farming crops or mining at a base building.
Same goes for crew slots on your ship.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Scott Forstall posted:

Plus those NPCs will have a few perks (represented on their clothes with the appropriate patch from the skill tree) so you won’t want to put an ace pilot farming crops or mining at a base building.
Same goes for crew slots on your ship.

See, stuff like that starts to become annoying busy work to me. gently caress it, I'm gonna crew my ship with spaceturnip farmers and you cant stop me.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

steinrokkan posted:

You built a house out of broken lightbulbs and teddy bears duct taped together; I wouldn't trust you either

But I use my wasteland magical alchemical powers for good not evil. :(

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

dr_rat posted:

But I use my wasteland magical alchemical powers for good not evil. :(

Yeah... uhh... good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5QlQaVVtvw

(not mine but I did set up something similar to farm nuclear material)

Agaragon
Nov 16, 2018
My only hope for this game is for the lockpicking/hacking minigame(s) to not be a pain in the rear end.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Ynglaur posted:

On which moon?

That moon; you can go there!

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

7c Nickel posted:

Yeah... uhh... good.
(not mine but I did set up something similar to farm nuclear material)

Aww poor ragstags. :(

I've said it before and I'll say it again the animals in fallout games are often my sympathetic than the people. They didn't destroy the world their just living in our gently caress up!

Like who's less of an rear end in a top hat the bark scorpions in scorpion gulch, or the Brotherhood of steel.

But yeah animal friend perk for life!

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

marktheando posted:

There's going to be such a backlash against this game, the hype levels are completely out of control. The starfield reddit is full of people posting their wildest gameplay fantasies, many of these people have never played a bethesda game. A lot of them seem to expect space flight as detailed as Elite Dangerous, creature and planet variation better than No Mans Sky, procgen giving them effectively endless content. They will be furious when expectations meet reality. I remember one post saying they will spend 100 hours just in new Atlantis.

I think I'll enjoy it though.

lol if anyone expects a new video game to be anything but decidedly mid until proven otherwise

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Agaragon posted:

My only hope for this game is for the lockpicking/hacking minigame(s) to not be a pain in the rear end.

They've shown the lockpicking minigame -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmb2FJGvnAw&t=302s
(Timestamped)

It doesn't look too bad. Sets of concentric circles that you need to match notches to.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Google Butt posted:

lol if anyone expects a new video game to be anything but decidedly mid until proven otherwise

There also seems to be decidedly no hype unless you go looking for it in corners of the internet. I dunno if it's because it's a game pass game or what but there doesn't seem to be any marketing at all. I remember a ton of Fallout 4 tv ads when that was coming out.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

1glitch0 posted:

There also seems to be decidedly no hype unless you go looking for it in corners of the internet. I dunno if it's because it's a game pass game or what but there doesn't seem to be any marketing at all. I remember a ton of Fallout 4 tv ads when that was coming out.

I've seen some marketing, but it does seem to be more targetted and less "blanket spam everywhere on TV and busses" this time round. I assume I'd have seen more if my adblockers were less effective.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Around where I live there was a bunch of outdoor advertising on buses, billboards etc for Redfail (lol)

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i dont know if this is a controvercial take but id be pretty happy if bethesda one day just made an announcement like "you know what? we're not going to have lockpicking minigames in any of our games any more regardless of setting. we are sorry.". they have never ever been fun, its just varying degrees of annoying.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
Anyone else miss Oblivion's persuasion minigame? No? Just me?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Oblivion is one of those games who's failings were annoying at launch and have become more and more endearing with age.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qN80_7rNmcE

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

The Illusive Man posted:

Anyone else miss Oblivion's persuasion minigame? No? Just me?

Oh god, I think I had blocked that from my memory.

I don’t actually mind lockpicking puzzles. The ones in BGS games aren’t too egregious and tbh it would feel weird not to have them.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Earwicker posted:

i dont know if this is a controvercial take but id be pretty happy if bethesda one day just made an announcement like "you know what? we're not going to have lockpicking minigames in any of our games any more regardless of setting. we are sorry.". they have never ever been fun, its just varying degrees of annoying.

It should just be a perk thing. you get the lock friend perk, locks decide just to open for you. Second tier of the the lock friend perk you convince the locks to attack near by enemies.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I think they oughta make them real time. Add a bit of tension to lockpicking.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
can't wait for the starsouls mod that does that and I turn it off 5 minutes later.

Handles Are Dumb
Jul 22, 2003
Title text

marshmallow creep posted:

I am glad they gave us the month of August to play BG3 because I have been making so many characters that I haven't even made it to the goblin base in act 1. That druid is never getting rescued at this rate.

Is this just a meme? I've heard this like 30 times...
The goblin fort is like an hour into the game. None of the classes are good or interesting the first few levels. Just get a few levels and respec later if you want.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Yes, all those people are totally meming. Yeah.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I had that exact problem with divinity, there's a bunch of stuff in the first area that you want to do but can't if you don't have the right characters.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

1glitch0 posted:

I would have been hyped but I ain't getting another console for this game and my PC won't run it well, so until I can afford either its like meh.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Rinkles posted:

Honestly do that and have them electronic/alarmed so if you gently caress up then a patrol might come looking.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Chronojam posted:

Honestly do that and have them electronic/alarmed so if you gently caress up then a patrol might come looking.

You know, making it summon enemies when you fail a lockpicking attempt would probably be quite an easy mod... I know we know nothing about Starfield modding yet, but they've gotta have a way to detect "player fails lockpicking minigame" and there must be some way to go "send AI to this location"...

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Maybe also shock the player for good measure.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Rinkles posted:

Warframe does that. i find it kind of annoying still, but it is definitely more engaging than the skyrim/fallout take

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

buglord posted:

Oh goodness I remember that. For the 3 people I could bring in, they’d be like “you…I don’t think I can trust you” and it’s like my dude I built one of the nicest looking places I in the wasteland for you and you’re disrespecting me like this

People don't trust landlords or real estate developers for good reason, I can't imagine post-apocalypse makes people any more fond.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Handles Are Dumb posted:

Is this just a meme? I've heard this like 30 times...
The goblin fort is like an hour into the game. None of the classes are good or interesting the first few levels. Just get a few levels and respec later if you want.

There are five different penises to try out! That is a lot to explore :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

AirRaid posted:

They've shown the lockpicking minigame -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmb2FJGvnAw&t=302s
(Timestamped)

It doesn't look too bad. Sets of concentric circles that you need to match notches to.

I’m the weirdo that loves lockpocking mini games. This looks fun.