Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

finalcake
Oct 5, 2002

CHESTO~!!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Also he's black

I didn’t want to say this, but yes…

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

Is there a German that invented the German Suplex and it's named after? Same question for the Canadian Destroyer.

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo
the destroyer is Petey Williams

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

The Grey posted:

Is there a German that invented the German Suplex and it's named after? Same question for the Canadian Destroyer.

Karl Gotch. Initially called the Atomic Suplex, the japanese company he worked for renamed it the German suplex.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Gavok posted:

Don't forget being MURDERED by Brock Lesnar. Plus I liked his mini-feud with Kurt Angle.

Can’t remember where I saw it but recently saw a reference to the Angle-Hulk feud, after their first interaction/match together Hulk apparently went to gorilla and said something to the effect of “that Olympic kid works pretty snug, brother.”

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Petey Williams was on Team Canada at the time he and the Destroyer rose to prominence. Whether he called it that in the first 3 years of his career is unknown.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
So for years it was known that Scott D'Amore had done the Canadian Destroyer before Petey Williams and I think people assumed it got its name that way. But in recent years Scott has given the credit for popularizing and basically inventing it to Petey. Petey definitely popularized it and it was The Canadian Destroyer because of him and was part of what made him blow up in 2004. Amazing Red did it first, years before either but Petey claims to have come up with it on his own, and I believe Scott got it from a third source since he says he had seen it before. I don't believe it is known who he saw doing its so it could be Red or it could be some other person.

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Pretty sure Stu Hart invented the Canadian Destroyer

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

MassRafTer posted:

So for years it was known that Scott D'Amore had done the Canadian Destroyer before Petey Williams and I think people assumed it got its name that way. But in recent years Scott has given the credit for popularizing and basically inventing it to Petey. Petey definitely popularized it and it was The Canadian Destroyer because of him and was part of what made him blow up in 2004. Amazing Red did it first, years before either but Petey claims to have come up with it on his own, and I believe Scott got it from a third source since he says he had seen it before. I don't believe it is known who he saw doing its so it could be Red or it could be some other person.
The name came as a tribute to a deceased friend of D'Amore's, Doug Chevalier, who worked as The Canadian Destroyer.

Is there any footage of D'Amore doing it before Petey? The story Chris Hero tells is that Alex Shelley and Chris Sabin saw the Red/Quiet Storm version while staying at his house, told Petey about it when they got home, and then worked on it with him at the gym.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

davidbix posted:

The name came as a tribute to a deceased friend of D'Amore's, Doug Chevalier, who worked as The Canadian Destroyer.

Is there any footage of D'Amore doing it before Petey? The story Chris Hero tells is that Alex Shelley and Chris Sabin saw the Red/Quiet Storm version while staying at his house, told Petey about it when they got home, and then worked on it with him at the gym.

Petey's recent story is that he and Sabin came up with it in the car with Truth Martini and kind of had no idea how they would do it, and then a month later he actually does it with Sydal and it works. Then after the fact someone tells him that Red did it and Red shows him old footage of him in the backyard.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i could see both coming up with similar variations around the same time, the yoshi tonic after all predates it by a little bit and i imagine both d'amore and red would have seen it by then.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

it was in one of those french wrestling vids from the 40s

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Cavauro posted:

it was in one of those french wrestling vids from the 40s
Absolutely nothing is going to beat that one where to tag in the wrestlers are yeeted into the ring on a springboard.

They're wrestling in 3040.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

French wrestling is when you do it with tongues

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

Lamuella posted:

French wrestling is when you do it with tongues

lol

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

MassRafTer posted:

Petey's recent story is that he and Sabin came up with it in the car with Truth Martini and kind of had no idea how they would do it, and then a month later he actually does it with Sydal and it works. Then after the fact someone tells him that Red did it and Red shows him old footage of him in the backyard.
Is it possible both are true? Petey and Sabin had the idea but weren't sure how to execute it, Sabin and Shelley saw the Red/Quiet Storm video at Hero's house and told Petey it was doable, and then Petey fully figured it out while working out his match with Sydal?

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

And now we got Dustin Rhodes and Ricky Morton doing it.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

davidbix posted:

Is it possible both are true? Petey and Sabin had the idea but weren't sure how to execute it, Sabin and Shelley saw the Red/Quiet Storm video at Hero's house and told Petey it was doable, and then Petey fully figured it out while working out his match with Sydal?

Petey says he still didn't know how to do it when he did it with Sydal and it wasn't until years later that he was told Red did it.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Breetai posted:

Absolutely nothing is going to beat that one where to tag in the wrestlers are yeeted into the ring on a springboard.

They're wrestling in 3040.
I enjoyed Roland Barthes' article on wrestling, but I had some of the same objections to it as other wrestling fans. Seeing those French wrestling matches put it into context--when he says things to the effect that wrestling is all about the moment and not the overall narrative, it makes sense.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
barthes: wwe is just streets ahead, jack

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Who had the best run as WWE champion ever? Specifically the top title run. Was looking at the BIG GOLD thread and started to think and realising NWA and WCW can point to runs, especially Flair in the 80s but many others, and started to think of WWE and realised I could not think of a guy as The Run where these promos, these matches, this everything us the best we've ever seen.

I defaulted to Bruno Sammartino because it's Bruno but I doubt anyone has watched all Bruno matches, he'll I've never seen anyone recommend a Bruno match, and to me it feels incomplete especially comparing to Flair or Steamboat or Race ir Dusty or... and we can keep going on.

It did bring to mind too them positioning Roman's current run as the greatest ever and lol but like this really made me go I can't really be sure if I can't name it other than just saying names of people I think are better wrestlers but their title runs were so-so.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Watching Bruno is kind of like watching Dory Funk Jr; wrestling has moved so far from what they did that if you're used to watching current stuff it can be kind of hard to appreciate. Although Bruno aged better than Dory Jr has he has a more familiar sense of charisma & personality. Dory was touring NWA champ for 4 years which is weird.

If you want to talk most important to the company then it's either Bruno or Hogan's first reign. Best in ring, tougher to say because I haven't watched huge chunks of it but Cena's 06 through 07 reign or AJ? dunno, did Kurt have a run that could be in contention?

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again
It's Hogan or Austin and if you need to pick between those two it's probably Austin.

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

i don't remember any of Austin's runs having the longevity or match quality, or even number of defenses in a short time, to really take the spot. often incredibly entertaining and great for business, for sure, but as a title run? i dunno

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

brock lesnar

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

GokuGoesSSj69 posted:

It's Hogan or Austin and if you need to pick between those two it's probably Austin.

I don't think this is true though, Austin was always at his best on the chase and none of his reigns stuck out as the definitive run. I do remember the smoking skull belt though.

And Hogan is a joke.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
It's JBL.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Lid posted:

I don't think this is true though, Austin was always at his best on the chase and none of his reigns stuck out as the definitive run. I do remember the smoking skull belt though.

And Hogan is a joke.

He wasn't in '84 through '88 though. I'm not going to tell you to go watch Hulk vs Orndorff (because I'd rather tell you to watch current All Japan...) but that run is synonymous with WWF becoming the WWF, the big national promotion with Wrestlemania and all that. He's the centrepiece of that boom period. So if you judge who is best by who was the biggest draw or the most important then you have to consider him and seeing as the Attitude Era peak was characterised by short title reigns you can't really count Austin or The Rock or anyone else from that period.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Its Hogan

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Hulkamania was a real thing.

Hulk Hogan being a total piece of poo poo joke of a human being is a much later development that destroys his legacy for sure, but doesn’t magically make him not the hottest thing in the business in his time.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

I mean, if you're asking what reign had the most consistently great title matches, it's probably Bret's second reign idfk

if you're asking what reign was best for business tho, yeah, probably Hogan's big one

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Could also be CM Punk

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

hottest angle in years, 1st wwe ***** match (in years? ever? i forget), sold merch like crazy, always over, and consistently good matches and promos.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Ok show of hands how many of you folk saying hogan reside in the uk

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.
It's a multi part question which makes it trickier:

Presumably duration has a bearing but also:

these promos

these matches

this everything

I'm going to be honest, for me, Hogan had better promos when I was a kid. I loved listening to him. Austin was a great talker but for what Hogan was doing, he was perfect.

For the matches, what of Triple H's first good run? Benoit, Jericho, Austin, Michinoku, The Rock, Cactus Jack, Angle? I dunno anyone else ever had that combination of ability, calibre of opponent and the booking behind them to make them look as strong.- Obviously he turned to poo poo after the injury.

This everything: I'm going to go with drawing here- Hogan launched the company not just nationally but worldwide. Austin rebirthed the company too. I dunno. I believe Meltzer said that Austin sold more merch and drew more money in his time on top than Hogan did in all of his.

Also I don't know about Bruno very well, the only time I really saw him, he was attacking Randy Savage for hitting Ricky Steamboat's throat with a ring bell.

Von Linus fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Aug 15, 2023

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Could be Triple H 2000 as much as that pains me to say

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Lid posted:

Could be Triple H 2000 as much as that pains me to say

Isn't that the title run that caused heaps of viewers who got on board during the late 90s to say "maybe wrestling's not for me anymore"?

I'm interested in narrowing the question a bit - best WWE title run, weighing "For business," promo work, and match quality all together equally.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
The merchandise question is tricky because WWF made like one shirt per wrestler in the eighties compared to Austin getting a new one every month.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

CommonShore posted:

Isn't that the title run that caused heaps of viewers who got on board during the late 90s to say "maybe wrestling's not for me anymore"?

I'm interested in narrowing the question a bit - best WWE title run, weighing "For business," promo work, and match quality all together equally.

No, 2000 was an extremely hot year that managed to stay hot even with Steve Austin being out of action.

But in the end the idea of the greatest WWF title run is silly, like, what are we even comparing here. This poo poo was always really bad you are asking what is better, the title reign designed to appeal to children not sophisticated enough for Ninja Turtles or the title run designed to appeal to horny teenagers. None of them can compare to real champions like Hulk Hogan in 1997, designed to appeal to people who love Voodoo Child (Slight Return) and grown men who pretend to be airplanes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

CommonShore posted:

nah, I think that might be the Reign Of Terror from when he came back from his quad tear and became the most boring wrestler in the world