Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Buck Wildman)

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

Al! posted:

posting from inside vr again. this cute furry animal alien in this engineering puzzle game admitted to beying a war criminal on the level of millions

vr chat with obama

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

Reading bad reviews of BG3 and I swear there's a sizable number of people who've never actually played the old-school RPGs like BG1+2 but LARP as though they did to poo poo on newer RPGs in general. For example, I keep seeing poo poo like "In Baldur's Gate 3, people talk like modern Americans and act very silly. This is a disgrace to the series!", and I'm so loving awestruck by how someone can say that with a straight face if they ever touched the first two games. A similar thing I've observed is people alleging the old Fallouts were all about political choices and "you have to make hard choices where not everyone can be happy" and that's also a big load of horseshit; every settlement ending in Fallout 1 and 2 is something like "The city thrives after the Vault Dweller/Chosen One did something nice" or "The city is dead because the Vault Dweller/Chosen One did something stupidly evil".

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Nostalgia is a helluva drug.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
I have no desire to play BG3, but I've heard that it has multiplayer. How the gently caress does that work? I assume only one person gets to be the main character and everyone else controls a party member during combat? Seems like the whole game would slow to a crawl as you wait for someone to go through an NPC dialogue tree.

How the hell does it work?

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

the only games with meaningful player choice are Way of the Samurai 1 and 2

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Starting to understand why everybody wasn't so hot on this Pale King fellow now that I've broken into his home

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

Pulcinella posted:

I have no desire to play BG3, but I've heard that it has multiplayer. How the gently caress does that work? I assume only one person gets to be the main character and everyone else controls a party member during combat? Seems like the whole game would slow to a crawl as you wait for someone to go through an NPC dialogue tree.

In MP, you can make your own custom characters or play as one of the companion characters, but generally you control your own character and do whatever you want. You can listen in on other people's conversations with other NPCs, take the lead on certain things because your skills are best suited, and so on. Its tied to a host file so its not ideal if you want to experience all of the story, but it works pretty great.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Antonymous posted:

the only games with meaningful player choice are Way of the Samurai 1 and 2

Way of the Samurai 2 was the garbage one that threw away a bunch of the cool poo poo from the first game.

Way of the Samurai 3 is the amnesiac samurai one where you wind up getting rescued by a bunch of villagers and then go around apologizing for making their lives poo poo.

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

Pulcinella posted:

works pretty well. total chaos but it’s a lot of fun! the game just kinda throws up it’s hands and let’s you get away with just about everything. you can coop your dialogue trees or just let your friend jaw while you wander off and get into trouble

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

SOUL $200
Infection research $150
Killing infection researchers $800
Saw blade traps $3,600
Ineffective Guardians $150

someone who is good at the economy please help me budget this. my kingdom is dying

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
BG3 is way too horny

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Epic High Five posted:

"These hard rear end bosses with horrible run backs can wait, I'm doing this fascinating dream stuff first" is going to end up being one of the smartest spur of the moment calls I've made in Hollow Knight

If I start what I assume is the final fight, will it throw me into NG+ afterwards or can I knock around finishing stuff off?

heads up if you want to see all endings/get achievements: go beat the final boss first before doing all the side stuff, as you can't get the first ending once you get Void Heart

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

Whirling posted:

In MP, you can make your own custom characters or play as one of the companion characters, but generally you control your own character and do whatever you want. You can listen in on other people's conversations with other NPCs, take the lead on certain things because your skills are best suited, and so on. Its tied to a host file so its not ideal if you want to experience all of the story, but it works pretty great.

Mr. Sharps posted:

works pretty well. total chaos but it’s a lot of fun! the game just kinda throws up it’s hands and let’s you get away with just about everything. you can coop your dialogue trees or just let your friend jaw while you wander off and get into trouble

Hmm can you load into different areas and do different quests/gently caress over your buddy for hilarious results?

I know BG2 (and maybe 1) had multiplayer back in the day, but never actually used it (other than it would let you make extra custom characters and bring them along even in single player). Does BG3 make a "you must gather your party before venturing forth" joke?

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Third World Reagan posted:

BG3 is way too horny

we were promised hornier :colbert:

edit:
just going to throw this out for free, how about the "damage everyone in a 2m range when you jump" enchantment toggles off automatically when not in combat, and if for some reason outside of combat, i need to jump around and break a bunch of poo poo, i'll turn it on

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Lt. Danger posted:

heads up if you want to see all endings/get achievements: go beat the final boss first before doing all the side stuff, as you can't get the first ending once you get Void Heart

Thanks for the heads up, I'm not too worried about spoilers, this playthrough has been basically one where I'm an NPC, I've seen contextless bits and pieces of it in discussion and speedruns over the years so there's a sort of familiarity with a lot of stuff, but nothing actually makes sense or helps me in any way. I'm currently working my way through the White Palace and I have no idea what you mean by Void Heart, just a yes or no, should I stop what I'm doing and get the first ending?

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

smarxist posted:

we were promised hornier :colbert:
Which gang of perverts is this we?

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
i expected way more, just based on that trailer and the hub bub, but so far all i've done is get flogged in a goblin camp (for a pretty decent perk) and had a smooch with shadowheart

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

smarxist posted:

i think inventory management is a nightmare as a joke/throwback

edit:
like the alchemy system seems like it had maybe a half a day of dev cycle time. it's 2023, i found the dumb herb, just tick up a loving counter the whole party draws from, i don't need to tote around herbs and have them float around other people's inventories if i use them to grab poo poo lol, they weigh nothing and are worth nothing

you don’t need to move them around at all

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

RandolphCarter posted:

you don’t need to move them around at all

but they're... sitting in the inventories... CLUTTERING

i did learn you can pass the herb bag around and it'll hoover up other people's herbs, which is a funny behavior

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Epic High Five posted:

Thanks for the heads up, I'm not too worried about spoilers, this playthrough has been basically one where I'm an NPC, I've seen contextless bits and pieces of it in discussion and speedruns over the years so there's a sort of familiarity with a lot of stuff, but nothing actually makes sense or helps me in any way. I'm currently working my way through the White Palace and I have no idea what you mean by Void Heart, just a yes or no, should I stop what I'm doing and get the first ending?

you can finish off White Palace, that's fine. you could go get the first ending afterwards just to get it out of the way if you want

you get the Void Heart in the Abyss after some other steps, and that's specifically what locks you out of the first ending

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

DaysBefore posted:

Siding with the goblins and attacking the druids felt really messed up in a good way lol. Really just miserable evil poo poo. Was shocked they didn't let me Anakin Skywalker that cave full of kids myself. One of the few times in RPGs where being a bad guy actually felt good

Woah what. drat I missed out on a lot of characters I wanted to talk to. Though to be fair it's really their fault for getting killed by me

you get to whip out insanely sick evil lines on the guy you betray to his face at the gate. as dark urge you get to pwn a child when you first walk into kahga's room or w/e then dunk on their parents. also as dark urge (think anybody can do it but dark urge gets the hilarious jack the ripper dialogue) theres a graveyard of ppl that end up dying in the druid place and you can desecrate their graves lmfao.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Lt. Danger posted:

you can finish off White Palace, that's fine. you could go get the first ending afterwards just to get it out of the way if you want

you get the Void Heart in the Abyss after some other steps, and that's specifically what locks you out of the first ending

Ah, I've been to there but only got the "would've been nice to have this a LOT sooner" cloak and an upgrade to my screaming pals. Plan is to do the Grimm stuff next, then I'll finally do the ending. It's pretty rare a game gets me like this where I put off the ending forever because I just don't want it to end.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
easily the funniest game to be evil in ages. you're a truly proper malevolent bastard.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
Is there an easier way to split health potions for the party? Getting tired of having to split the stack then split the stack then give the other 3 stacks to each other character. Just let the entire party use any potion regardless of who has it, I'm tired of inventory juggling.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
the potion juggling is bullshit and theres no escape.i just buy a fuckton/loot everything to try and outpace it. you can throw potions tho i think lol. so load up the useless guy and make him be a MLB picther

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
do undead take damage from healing in dnd?

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
i tested it and not only does throwing it heal the same i think it makes it an AOE. uses an action though. not too different from a cleric heal anyways and makes the regular heal pot sorta more useful

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

Al! posted:

do undead take damage from healing in dnd?

Not in 5e

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Homeless Friend posted:

i tested it and not only does throwing it heal the same i think it makes it an AOE. uses an action though. not too different from a cleric heal anyways and makes the regular heal pot sorta more useful

i have a ring or some bracers or something that increases throw damage, i wonder if it increases healing somehow lmao im going to have to try it out

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

didn't work because what you are actually rolling for damage on in that situation is the potion bottle

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Whirling posted:

Not in 5e

And people say this poo poo is good?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

this king bitch better be dead already when i get to him because his house is making me ffukin mad

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

I think the funniest throwing thing I've seen is that throwing a spear from a height does weapon damage and then crushig damage because after the pointy thing stabbed them, it also landed on them.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Lostconfused posted:

I think the funniest throwing thing I've seen is that throwing a spear from a height does weapon damage and then crushig damage because after the pointy thing stabbed them, it also landed on them.

i don't gently caress around with mage hand enough

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

I'm very fond of the goblins in this game lol

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

Pulcinella posted:

Hmm can you load into different areas and do different quests/gently caress over your buddy for hilarious results?

I know BG2 (and maybe 1) had multiplayer back in the day, but never actually used it (other than it would let you make extra custom characters and bring them along even in single player). Does BG3 make a "you must gather your party before venturing forth" joke?

no gather your party joke, missed opportunity. game just lets you do whatever though including going to whole other maps and entering combat

Homeless Friend posted:

the potion juggling is bullshit and theres no escape.i just buy a fuckton/loot everything to try and outpace it. you can throw potions tho i think lol. so load up the useless guy and make him be a MLB picther

thrown potions have an AOE too. considering making an offensive alchemist build with a 100mph fastball. for now im picking up all the bags and packs scattered around to sort my inventory and make satchel charges. a sack full of molotovs followed by a fire bolt is a great combat opener

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

i wanna play who's lila but I don't have a PC is there an easy way to do it on a mac or no

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I am going to pull the Pale King's underwear over his head and choke slam him into one of his precious saw blades

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

I just looked up the bg3 tech specs and Jesus. Is this game at all playable on an older machine?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Epic High Five posted:

I am going to pull the Pale King's underwear over his head and choke slam him into one of his precious saw blades

Since you've done the Hive, you can use the Hiveblood pin to regenerate the tick of health you lose when you hit a saw blade and get sent back. Its slower, but safer.