Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

smackfu posted:

We accidentally made coffee the other day without swapping the grounds.

That does not work well at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

C.M. Kruger posted:

Behold the deep science fiction lore of the Cassava tuber, which has to be soaked in water for 24+ hours.

The CDC tells me 4-6 days. Anyway, I did not mean to imply that it was implausible, more just funny that it was the only example of foreign food used to reveal the character's ignorance to that point.

neongrey posted:

also thats definitely a reasonable extrapolation of how some oolong teas could be handled if the expense were an issue

Maybe Imperial Radch ships have a special cryogenic flash freezer. I just found it amusing that that reviewer got very angry that they were making tea wrong with how often it's mentioned in those books (by contrast, I assume cyanide tuber paste will not come up again).

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Cassavas make me think of The Sheep Look Up, which I've already recommended here (as a heavily depressing novel).

Lex Talionis
Feb 6, 2011

eXXon posted:

I'm giving up on A Memory Called Empire about 25% in. I find the plot superficially similar to The Goblin Emperor, in that it's (somewhat implausibly) whirlwind court intrigue drama with a main character thrust into a leading role they're not ready for, except in AMCE it makes even less sense because she was specifically trained to fulfill her role, albeit hurriedly.
I liked Goblin Empire, the Ancillary sequels, and similar books more than you sound like you did. I think it's very much in that vein. (As a side note, imagine going back to the mid- to late-1990s and trying to convince someone that CJ Cherryh's Foreigner will more successful literary descendants in the 2020s than Neal Stephenson, Dan Simmons, or Bujold's Vorkosigan series!)

I liked AMCE too but remember it as being worse than I thought at the time (just checked my contemporaneous notes) because instead of merely trying to be a good anxiety/comfort novel, Martine tries to write a great novel. I approve of her ambition but it didn't work out. She nails the moves from her subgenre influences but the book has its sights set on exploring the combination of menace and seduction of a powerful empire and for me fails entirely at this. The empire feels like a small town and nothing about it seems particularly bad, so it's not menacing, and the amazing and seductive culture amounts to prestige TV plus improvisational poetry you'd have to be completely fluent in their language to hope to understand.

I think the Baru Cormorant books are just orders of magnitude better on this front since they understand that what makes the culture of colonial empires seductive is first and foremost economic (they can pay you a hell of a lot more than you can make in your village) and technological (running water, medical care that works) factors. That's what brings people in, not Vergil or Shakespeare. The closest thing to a media-first empire is the modern American hegemony but to write a book exploring that you can't use some handwaved analogues to Rome and Victorian Britain.

RDM
Apr 6, 2009

I LOVE FINLAND AND ESPECIALLY FINLAND'S MILITARY ALLIANCES, GOOGLE FINLAND WORLD WAR 2 FOR MORE INFORMATION SLAVA UKRANI

eXXon posted:

The empire is vast and sprawling, spanning most of the galaxy, but most of it is only vaguely hinted at. Lsel Station has a population of 30,000 and has some outsized importance that isn't particularly well-explained, and a culture that's only sketched out in brief. They want to avoid being annexed by the empire but rely on a solitary ambassador who rarely informs them of anything he does. The new ambassador arrives - again alone - at the capital city and jewel of the empire, an ecumenopolis/planet-city later stated to have a population of a few hundred thousand. The gently caress!? How tiny is this planet? It's described as having some tall towers and a large subway/train network with buildings covering most of the surface. I can't say I enjoy long-winded and detailed descriptions of architecture but there's virtually nothing here to express alien-ness, grandiosity or a particular flavour of post-scarcity society.
I haven't read this in years but it's definitely not described as a small planet, the individual provinces have like 8-figure populations.

The world building in the book was fine, but the weird central plotline just felt like it was on rails from one world building spot to the next.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Lex Talionis posted:

I liked AMCE too but remember it as being worse than I thought at the time (just checked my contemporaneous notes) because instead of merely trying to be a good anxiety/comfort novel, Martine tries to write a great novel. I approve of her ambition but it didn't work out. She nails the moves from her subgenre influences but the book has its sights set on exploring the combination of menace and seduction of a powerful empire and for me fails entirely at this. The empire feels like a small town and nothing about it seems particularly bad, so it's not menacing, and the amazing and seductive culture amounts to prestige TV plus improvisational poetry you'd have to be completely fluent in their language to hope to understand.

Yeah I really enjoyed AMCE and the sequel but I remember the empire/space station relationship being very unrealistic. Why did the space station send only one ambassador with no oversight? She accepts support staff from her host country, how is that not a giant conflict of interest? Where are the economic factors determining if the space station gets annexed or not?

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

mewse posted:

She accepts support staff from her host country, how is that not a giant conflict of interest?

I can't speak for anything else in the post, but nearly every embassy I've ever dealt with IRL has had locals staffing it alongside the Ambassadors/mission staff from the country in question.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

eXXon posted:

Maybe Imperial Radch ships have a special cryogenic flash freezer. I just found it amusing that that reviewer got very angry that they were making tea wrong with how often it's mentioned in those books (by contrast, I assume cyanide tuber paste will not come up again).

i mean i just air dry my leaves naturally and they will last a couple days so space people getting a couple weeks when they have to sounds perfectly reasonable to the point that I do not think the reviewer is familiar with the type of tea in question. idk, I haven't read the books, space opera is not my thing, but yeah the tea stuff scans to me, and I'm modestly nerdy about my tea

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Lex Talionis posted:

I liked Goblin Empire, the Ancillary sequels, and similar books more than you sound like you did. I think it's very much in that vein.

I liked Ancillary Justice and Mercy (books 1 and 3) actually, but more so because Breq was an interesting character and the plot moved along in both. The world building wasn't a particular standout for me but it has been a while since I read them.

RDM posted:

I haven't read this in years but it's definitely not described as a small planet, the individual provinces have like 8-figure populations.

Right, I misread and it's the palace (city-within-a-city) that has a population of several hundred thousand bureaucrats, but it feels claustrophobic because she just seems to shuffle between a few anonymous office buildings early on. I searched and 2/3 through it says the central province has 17 million people including the surrounding city followed by some brief descriptions of a large tower of some sort, so fine.

Also the probably second most important character is named Three Seagrass and I keep thinking of three seashells instead.

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Aug 13, 2023

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

Remulak posted:

I bought the first book on sale some time ago, and picked it up to read Wednesday.

I’ve now completed all three and done basically nothing else.

I’m not claiming they’re great literature, but goddamn they were what I needed and I could not put them down, it’s an odd mix of sub genres and unusually colorful writing, along with a some terrific narrative twists.

I think my favorite part is that it’s never really clear what is true and what is exaggeration, or even lies, as it’s all from the mouth of the protagonist, who clearly has his own agenda.

yeah probably my favourite WJW series, it seems as he's always 3 steps ahead of everyone but then he would say that, recounting his life, wouldn't he?

ClydeFrog
Apr 13, 2007

my body is a temple to an idiot god

silvergoose posted:

Heh, I did link it in here when I made it, but the more people seeing it the better!

Well I'm a goof for not seeing it!

It's very appreciated

Also mint tea with fresh leaves is very nice and quite different.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

eXXon posted:

Something mildly traumatic happens and someone makes a soothing tea, luxuriously using fresh leaves instead of the old batch that had been there for a week (but would normally have been used for another week, since the stuff is expensive as it's an obsession in that particular space empire). "That's not how tea works!! What the gently caress!", the reviewer sputtered. I feel you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXzoJin8-p0

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

did my latest re-read of the iain m banks culture novels
i guess all books "smell" of the time and place they were written in and i'm seeing it more clearly with his book these days

the exoticisms of the culture setting (drug glanding, casual gender changes etc.) and the set pieces meant to shock (the cult eating poo poo) are pretty staid by modern standards.

mewse
May 2, 2006

cptn_dr posted:

I can't speak for anything else in the post, but nearly every embassy I've ever dealt with IRL has had locals staffing it alongside the Ambassadors/mission staff from the country in question.

assistant to the ambassador?

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

eXXon posted:

The CDC tells me 4-6 days. Anyway, I did not mean to imply that it was implausible, more just funny that it was the only example of foreign food used to reveal the character's ignorance to that point.

And that a star faring culture hadn't gene-engineered a version that's not full of cyanide, as people on Earth are already working at.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

C.M. Kruger posted:

And that a star faring culture hadn't gene-engineered a version that's not full of cyanide, as people on Earth are already working at.

It's traditional

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

I don't know, I think its that Japanese Manga genre where a character gets hits by a truck and wakes up in a boring suburb.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020

shrike82 posted:

the set pieces meant to shock (the cult eating poo poo) are pretty staid by modern standards.

Going by reader reactions, perhaps still shocking.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

I was in a restaurant once that had Hot Ham Water on the menu. I tried to order it but they said it was just a joke.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

mdemone posted:

I was in a restaurant once that had Hot Ham Water on the menu. I tried to order it but they said it was just a joke.

Lol that’s awesome

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

mdemone posted:

bookchat I made a start in Reynolds' TERMINAL WORLD and I'm enjoying it a lot - the setting is weird in the way that stuff from the old days of scifi was, like you'd pick up from a thriftstore or the 'SF Masterworks' reprint collection, but the plot within the setting is running along at a brisk pace with little downtime or distractions.

Actually speaking of the SF Masterworks, TW here has a bit of the vibe of Christopher Priest's 'INVERTED WORLD', in a 'geography is hosed and affects you in odd ways' feel.

NoneMoreNegative fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Aug 14, 2023

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
Late to the A Memory Called Empire chat, but I quite liked it! It was a propulsive scifi intrigue piece even though I was expecting the whole time for Three Seagrass to do a heel turn at the end. Relating to empire -- I think in general the conquering (directly or indirectly) empire doesn't have to be capital b Bad for it to be a force sovereign nations want to resist -- the fact that places want to hold on to their sovereignty should be enough (not to mention that any annexation war with Lsel Station would likely result in a significant amount of casualties).

I finished the first book and immediately bought the second! The references and developments related to imago usage are really interesting and the second book promises to dive more into the themes of "first contact", "perceptions / boundaries of self" and the repeated question, "what is your definition of you" that is brought up in the first book.

RDM
Apr 6, 2009

I LOVE FINLAND AND ESPECIALLY FINLAND'S MILITARY ALLIANCES, GOOGLE FINLAND WORLD WAR 2 FOR MORE INFORMATION SLAVA UKRANI

RoboCicero posted:

Late to the A Memory Called Empire chat, but I quite liked it! It was a propulsive scifi intrigue piece even though I was expecting the whole time for Three Seagrass to do a heel turn at the end. Relating to empire -- I think in general the conquering (directly or indirectly) empire doesn't have to be capital b Bad for it to be a force sovereign nations want to resist -- the fact that places want to hold on to their sovereignty should be enough (not to mention that any annexation war with Lsel Station would likely result in a significant amount of casualties).

I finished the first book and immediately bought the second! The references and developments related to imago usage are really interesting and the second book promises to dive more into the themes of "first contact", "perceptions / boundaries of self" and the repeated question, "what is your definition of you" that is brought up in the first book.
I didn't think the second book worked nearly as well as the first to be honest. The weird alien hivemind is just a weird alien with weird space guns, the humans are all dumb as rocks, and the driving conflict of the plot is 'a politician on the tiny space station will try to murder me, the person who has come to the space station with a fleet of warships and the explicit backing of the ultra space emperor - better run for my life'. No part of the plot to this book made any sense to me.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

RDM posted:

I didn't think the second book worked nearly as well as the first to be honest. The weird alien hivemind is just a weird alien with weird space guns, the humans are all dumb as rocks, and the driving conflict of the plot is 'a politician on the tiny space station will try to murder me, the person who has come to the space station with a fleet of warships and the explicit backing of the ultra space emperor - better run for my life'. No part of the plot to this book made any sense to me.

Yeah agreed, I think the second book really lacked any kind of focus, to the degree that I had a hard time really following what was even going on. It felt like the kind of middle book in a trilogy that you run into every once in a while--where the author has a clear idea of what they want to do in a third book but not in a second one, so the middle book ends up being this sort of damp spaghetti plot where a bunch of strands sort of glom together in an attempt to move the events to a point where the third book can start, but without much focus on making narrative sense or presenting an overarching conflict that is interesting and engaging unto itself (though tbf to the second book, it does have an overarching narrative--I just don't think it's a very good or interesting one)

It's a problem that certainly isn't new in SFF trilogies, I feel like if anything it was much more common when I was younger, and I sort of get why authors fall into that trap--the assumption is that if you read the first book and are reading the second, you're basically committed to reading the third anyway, so the middle book of a trilogy can just splat out plot details and trust that you'll read them, knowing there is likely to be an eventual payoff. That said I find it increasingly more annoying, and if anything it's made me prefer one-and-done novels or longer series more (though the latter tends to have a similar problem without the implicit promise of an eventual payoff, lol)

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Actually speaking of the SF Masterworks, TW here has a bit of the vibe of Christopher Priest's 'INVERTED WORLD', in a 'geography is hosed and affects you in odd ways' feel.

I enjoyed that book a lot because I didn't understand what the gently caress it was supposed to be "about" and I kinda like when there's an allegory that I don't understand for once

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
The Water Knife by Paolo Bacigalupi - $2.99 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NRQOR26/
Borne (#1) by Jeff VanderMeer - $3.99 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M98T0J7/
Trigger Warning: Short Fictions and Disturbances by Neil Gaiman - $2.99 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KPV9PIW/
Pulling the Wings Off Angels by KJ Parker - $1.99 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09NJSVL1T/
The Jasmine Throne (Burning Kingdoms #1) by Tasha Suri - $2.99 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08F4YZZ84/
A Darker Shade of Magic (Shades of Magic #1) by VE Schwab - $2.99 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ME0TBFE/
A Gathering of Shadows (Shades of Magic #2) by VE Schwab - $2.99 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00WDVL07Q/
A Conjuring of Light (Shades of Magic #3) by VE Schwab - $2.99 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01EROMI2M/

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

pradmer posted:

The Jasmine Throne (Burning Kingdoms #1) by Tasha Suri - $2.99 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08F4YZZ84/

This is a very excellent South Asian fantasy and if you enjoyed Baru I think you'll enjoy this.

RDM posted:

I didn't think the second book worked nearly as well as the first to be honest.

MockingQuantum posted:

Yeah agreed, I think the second book really lacked any kind of focus

I didn't enjoy A Desolation Called Peace as much as I enjoyed A Memory Called Empire because all that fuss around the imago tech and the independence of Lsel Station went exactly nowhere important and the end twist of "oh the aliens don't understand us because they're a hive mind and we're not" was something I saw coming a mile away, considering it's an old, old classic with no new spin on it and then the book ended just as the interesting part was starting.

Sinatrapod
Sep 24, 2007

The "Latin" is too dangerous, my queen!
AMCE was terribly dull for me. Not only was the world building very low effort, but the central characters were basically zero-agency POV ping pong balls getting rallied back and forth for the entirety of the plot. I have similar feelings about Ancillary Justice, but I think my opinion on that one was hugely tainted by the audiobook's narrator who seemed to be trying out a brave new "No intonation whatsoever for anything" angle.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

cptn_dr posted:

I am a US citizen and I worked for the Indian Consulate for about 9 months where my job was 6 hours a day processing applications for Overseas Citizen of India documentation and then for 2 hours a day I was required to take off my dress shirt, where I was supposed to wear a heavy metal t-shirt underneath to look like a bouncer, and smoke a nicotine-free vape, wait for a car (driven by a guy from Nepal) to show up, then I'd open up a locked door and transfer 6 locked suitcases to the trunk (it was always 6, sometimes one or two would be clearly empty), hop in, and go to an off-site location where they'd do additional security checks if needed, phone/online customer support, and various other things. I would say maybe half the people working there were not Indian citizens.

mdemone posted:

I have a water carbonator thing where you put a mix of baking soda and citric acid into a compartment and close it up and then it will squirt some sacrificial water into there which generates CO2 and bubbles that CO2 around through a water bottle you hook up to the machine which will carbonate the water and every 4th of July and Labor Day I buy a couple packs of hot dogs, pour out the 30ish mL of packing water and add some fresh water to make a lightly hot dog-flavored carbonated water and bring it to whatever BBQ party I go to. It's both better and worse than it sounds. Better tasting, worse smelling, and also you don't want to drink it when you're actually eating a hot dog, and it for some reason makes everyone whose tried it not feel as hungry come dinner time unless they give it a couple hours, so they don't eat as much as they normally would then they are absolutely ravenously hungry later in the evening and if they're drinking then they often have drank on an empty stomach.

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

pradmer posted:

Pulling the Wings Off Angels by KJ Parker - $1.99 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09NJSVL1T/

A KJ Parker I haven't read, and it sounds like it's right up my alley.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

lol.

Sinatrapod posted:

I have similar feelings about Ancillary Justice, but I think my opinion on that one was hugely tainted by the audiobook's narrator who seemed to be trying out a brave new "No intonation whatsoever for anything" angle.

I don't listen to audiobooks but that seems apropos for the character, though? Also for Murderbot.

Anyway I got through the short and efficient Elder Race by Adrian Tchaikovsky in a few hours and liked it, as with seemingly everyone else who mentioned it here. I don't think I've read a dud by him so far. Elder Race wasn't quite as clever as Spiderlight but I appreciated the brevity compared to Cage of Souls, which was good too but could have been pared down 10-15% without much loss.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

fermun posted:

I have a water carbonator thing where you put a mix of baking soda and citric acid into a compartment and close it up and then it will squirt some sacrificial water into there which generates CO2 and bubbles that CO2 around through a water bottle you hook up to the machine which will carbonate the water and every 4th of July and Labor Day I buy a couple packs of hot dogs, pour out the 30ish mL of packing water and add some fresh water to make a lightly hot dog-flavored carbonated water and bring it to whatever BBQ party I go to. It's both better and worse than it sounds. Better tasting, worse smelling, and also you don't want to drink it when you're actually eating a hot dog, and it for some reason makes everyone whose tried it not feel as hungry come dinner time unless they give it a couple hours, so they don't eat as much as they normally would then they are absolutely ravenously hungry later in the evening and if they're drinking then they often have drank on an empty stomach.

:pwn:

DurianGray
Dec 23, 2010

King of Fruits

Sinatrapod posted:

I have similar feelings about Ancillary Justice, but I think my opinion on that one was hugely tainted by the audiobook's narrator who seemed to be trying out a brave new "No intonation whatsoever for anything" angle.

For what it's worth, they did eventually re-record Ancillary Justice using the much better narrator who did Sword and Mercy (Adjoa Andoh). The direction they gave that initial narrator was baffling though. I guess they wanted her to sound "like a robot" but it was incredibly grating to hear that monotone for the whole book (only exceptions being when she read dialog for other characters).

The Sweet Hereafter
Jan 11, 2010

DurianGray posted:

For what it's worth, they did eventually re-record Ancillary Justice using the much better narrator who did Sword and Mercy (Adjoa Andoh). The direction they gave that initial narrator was baffling though. I guess they wanted her to sound "like a robot" but it was incredibly grating to hear that monotone for the whole book (only exceptions being when she read dialog for other characters).

I was going to say, Adjoa Andoh is one of my favourite audiobook narrators. Didn't realise there had been a previous version, though!

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

fermun posted:

I am a US citizen and I worked for the Indian Consulate for about 9 months where my job was 6 hours a day processing applications for Overseas Citizen of India documentation and then for 2 hours a day I was required to take off my dress shirt, where I was supposed to wear a heavy metal t-shirt underneath to look like a bouncer, and smoke a nicotine-free vape, wait for a car (driven by a guy from Nepal) to show up, then I'd open up a locked door and transfer 6 locked suitcases to the trunk (it was always 6, sometimes one or two would be clearly empty), hop in, and go to an off-site location where they'd do additional security checks if needed, phone/online customer support, and various other things. I would say maybe half the people working there were not Indian citizens.

what an absolutely mind-melting post

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

sebmojo posted:

SA still has the postin magic, folks

Sinatrapod
Sep 24, 2007

The "Latin" is too dangerous, my queen!

DurianGray posted:

Yeah, that direction was completely pants-on-head. Sure, that character may have a lot of issues with social cues, but the idea that a being of that complexity couldn't take a solid shot at speaking like a human is bizarre and just completely unlistenable for long periods. Anyway, thanks for letting me know -- I feel like I should give it another shot just so I can judge it fairly.

mystes
May 31, 2006

fermun posted:

I can't decide if this is science fiction or fantasy, but it probably at least deserves an SCP number.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Fermun sign up for Thunderdome please thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

sebmojo posted:

What, they process claims, engage in some light official drug smuggling/money laundering/bribery and then enjoy a refreshing hot dog flavored soda. Seems perfectly normal to-

Nope. Can't commit. That was loving wild.