Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

When my house was built in 1930, it was a bath only, so the window being partially over the tub was not a problem until they installed the shower plumbing in the 1950s.

I have to sand & refinish the window sashes & sill every few years.

One thing that worked well: I took a page from my R/C aircraft building, and ironed Monokote (or Ultracote) wing covering over the window trim; it's held up well for 15-years.

https://www.horizonhobby.com/product/ultracote-white/HANU870.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
Can you Trex your bathroom? :question:

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
If a window trim has a chance of getting wet, as it's sometimes the case, I build the entirety of that window opening out of plastic (cellular PVC). Never a problem

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
https://twitter.com/Flawless_Cowboi/status/1690161513145737216?t=ZiKnDrAOMzsUR3uW56pssg&s=19

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

ullerrm posted:

+1 for Rambalac. Some of his "wander around Tokyo on rainy nights" videos are fantastic fall-asleep content. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hndf5JRwUL0&t=489s

Rambalac posted that he was stopping the walking videos a couple months ago:

quote:

Almost 7 years ago I started this channel with the main goal to do something to stop being boring person to find a girlfriend. I could find a girl whom I still love but she never had any interest in me and I screwed up even that weak relationship I had. After these years I'm still a lonely boring person. For the last 3 or even more years I forced myself to continue through constant depression, but this channel is just a waste of time.

I will publish all the videos left and that's it. Sorry, if you signed for a membership, patreon or ko-fi, I never could understand why anyone paid me.

600k people subscribed to your channel and many many millions of views and depression still causes him to believe he's boring. Such an insidious condition.

The response was overwhelmingly supportive and reassuring, I don't know if he has reconsidered but I hope so.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

i don't want to know any rambalac lore

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I don't have a funny video but my wife and I are doing some work on the house we recently bought. It's a split level, downstairs bathroom has this AWFUL light/fan combo that turns on together and sounds like some Vietnam era helicopter. Started ripping it out to replace with something quieter and once we got up into the ceiling we quickly found out that it doesn't vent anywhere. It's just sucking moisture from the shower up into the space between the bathroom ceiling and the subfloor of the upper level.

Why the gently caress would you ever do this lmfao. Rhetorical question, obviously previous owner heard he had to have an exhaust fan to meet code and decided to beat it with one weird trick.

The only saving grace was that this bathroom sucked so bad nobody ever used it so there wasn't some kind of sentient mold colony up there.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
The extractor for my kitchen hob was similar, they installed it but they didn't put a hole in the ceiling to attach it to anything. What made this decision even dumber was the fact that about a foot to the right was the hole where the old extractor used to be, complete with ducting to the outside vent. All they needed to do was put a hole in the ceiling and move the duct over. Bizarre.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
tile, how does it work?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
When life gives you shards, make mosaic.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

`Nemesis posted:

tile, how does it work?

That’s just a Tangram puzzle.

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

My buddy just bought a house from a couple he described as "an aesthetically challenged house flipper couple".
The house is full of questionable paint combos - any of the myriad feature walls alone would merit a post here but the revolting highlight is undoubtedly the master bedroom - the ceiling of which is finished in a textured brown with cream borders:

and this revolting texture that looks like someone laid on their back and blasted brown ropes on the ceiling

There are also gold painted ribbon trim highlights at waist height. Anyone got any idea how to get rid of this poo poo? Buddy thinks it's either a shitload of time with a sander or literally replacing the ceiling - I figured if anyone had a better idea it'd be you fine folks.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Easiest would probably be slapping some quarter inch drywall right over the top of it.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Or decorative ceiling tiles, or wallpaper

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Half an inch of paint to keep with the house-flipper tradition

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

sarcastx posted:

the revolting highlight is undoubtedly the master bedroom - the ceiling of which is finished in a textured brown with cream borders:

It has a “smoked in for the better part of a century, then stopped halfway through powerwashing” look.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

`Nemesis posted:

tile, how does it work?

you can't tell where random piles of tiles will line up, so you make due

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

sarcastx posted:

My buddy just bought a house from a couple he described as "an aesthetically challenged house flipper couple".
The house is full of questionable paint combos - any of the myriad feature walls alone would merit a post here but the revolting highlight is undoubtedly the master bedroom - the ceiling of which is finished in a textured brown with cream borders:

and this revolting texture that looks like someone laid on their back and blasted brown ropes on the ceiling

There are also gold painted ribbon trim highlights at waist height. Anyone got any idea how to get rid of this poo poo? Buddy thinks it's either a shitload of time with a sander or literally replacing the ceiling - I figured if anyone had a better idea it'd be you fine folks.

Painting over it with flat white paint and then trying to forget it exists is going to cause your friend the least amount of psychic pain imho

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

`Nemesis posted:

tile, how does it work?

On a project I was on the tile guy brought me two patterns as to how he could cut the tile around the drain. Honestly either of them were fine to me and I think the architect didn't have a strong opinion, the fact that he asked alone meant he was going to do a good job. It really stuck with me as good craftsmanship and practice.

This is the opposite of that experience, where I hadn't yet conceptualized how lovely of a job someone could do.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

sarcastx posted:

Two boxes of drywall finishing mud and shoulders of iron. Prime the whole ceiling first, skim it out, light sanding, skim it again, light sand, and paint. It looks like everything else has an orange peel texture, so they may want to get a texture gun and rent an air compressor to run it.

I assume anyone who's asking how doesn't own any of that or have the skills yet, but it's a very fixable problem. All my ceilings are just smooth finish and walls are textured, which is fine. It's preferrable to a lot of folks to just go smooth everywhere.

Honestly not fun but not the worst. I am coming from a higher level maybe though as I am far enough away from having scraped a whole house of popcorn ceiling and refinished it.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

sarcastx posted:

Check to see if it's actually glued on like wallpaper, and if it is, follow the wallpaper removal procedures. If it's an applied texture, rent a sender and a vacuum combination from your local hardware store. You may need to do a light skimcoat of spackle if you oversand, but that's the general procedure.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

New McMansion Hell and dear god is it a doozy
https://mcmansionhell.com/post/725564236607176704/mojo-dojo-casa-house

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

StormDrain posted:

This is the opposite of that experience, where I hadn't yet conceptualized how lovely of a job someone could do.

They can do worse. Such as the drain being higher up than the rest of the floor.

Jows
May 8, 2002

`Nemesis posted:

tile, how does it work?

Do you think they laid all the substrate stuff (I don't know poo poo about tile) and just had a fat guy jump on it to "form" it?

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
A place I lived in for a while was like that. All the floors were sloped & uneven. Except the bathroom, which was almost as flat as a machinist's surface plate, and had all the issues you'd expect from that.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
"found in new construction"

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

`Nemesis posted:

"found in new construction"

“Grover, you can’t have all the ducts.”

Jows
May 8, 2002

I didn't know HR Geiger designed HVAC systems

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Jows posted:

I didn't know HR Geiger designed HVAC systems

i didn't either, but maybe Lovecraft did?

Angry Pie
Feb 4, 2007
Do you want a piece of me?!
it's giving "HVAC, but make it look like a Missy Elliot video"

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!

Angry Pie posted:

it's giving "HVAC, but make it look like a Missy Elliot video"

I love this more than is explainable.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
I was going to joke about it being easier to balance air distribution with a manifold like that, but aren't most of those air return lines? Why would you insulate air returns? Is this an unconditioned space? Even when I was living in Atlanta and had my furnace in a sweltering garage I don't think they insulated the returns, although it probably wouldn't hurt. I have no idea how they do it if your furnace is laying on its side in a crawlspace or attic.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

His Divine Shadow posted:

They can do worse. Such as the drain being higher up than the rest of the floor.

How else are you going to get the drain up above the pipe into which it drains?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

I too remember the palace improvements from Civilization 1 fondly. The Greek pillars should be bigger though.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Cat Hatter posted:

I was going to joke about it being easier to balance air distribution with a manifold like that, but aren't most of those air return lines? Why would you insulate air returns? Is this an unconditioned space? Even when I was living in Atlanta and had my furnace in a sweltering garage I don't think they insulated the returns, although it probably wouldn't hurt. I have no idea how they do it if your furnace is laying on its side in a crawlspace or attic.

It will be harder to balance because nobody who built it like that would balance it. Also soft duct has more resistance so the effectiveness of those is awful. None of them have dampers anyway.

And what about that makes you think it's the return? It looks to me like a downdraft furnace based on the refrigerant line location. Which... Also looks like it's in a basement which doesn't make sense but seems right considering how dumb the rest of it is.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

StormDrain posted:

It will be harder to balance because nobody who built it like that would balance it. Also soft duct has more resistance so the effectiveness of those is awful. None of them have dampers anyway.

And what about that makes you think it's the return? It looks to me like a downdraft furnace based on the refrigerant line location. Which... Also looks like it's in a basement which doesn't make sense but seems right considering how dumb the rest of it is.

I noticed the condensate line location right after I posted, but I'm not changing it. The other trunk is insulated anyway.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Cat Hatter posted:

Why would you insulate air returns?

Heat recovery, maybe?

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Ideally you insulate everything as any time you have duct work in an unconditioned space it'll bleed energy into or out of the system in the opposite way you want.

That's why modern good construction typically has the attic or crawl space as part of the building envelope. You don't have to worry about losing efficiency if you're doing everything in the conditioned space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you
The house we bought last year has a vented crawlspace with uninsulated ducts running through it, I wonder how much heat in BTU's went straight from the furnace to outside over the 20 years the system has been installed.