Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Buck Wildman)

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Delicate Flower quest was extremely nerve-wracking but I'm glad I put it off until I had soul regen. Next up: Trial of the Fool, which I suspect will whoop my rear end

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I was never able to beat true grimm so good work on that one

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Grapplejack posted:

I was never able to beat true grimm so good work on that one

He's still knocking around and I've got a new quest from him so I'm assuming I haven't seen the last of him. His fight is one that I was specifically told not to cower away from multiple times by people and this one I beat in 20 minutes of grinding it out probably isn't what they were talking about.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

grimm is incredibly stylish and his boss fight is extremely cool, A++

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

SirSamVimes posted:

grimm is incredibly stylish and his boss fight is extremely cool, A++

Yeah there's been loads of really fun and unique fights, even as someone who is bad at them and generally takes 10-15 attempts for the trickier ones it's only ever been annoying to do so twice. Brooding Mawlek was just awful, and Enraged Guardian was rough as gently caress and not great but I may have fought it way, way too early. Got his rear end tho and taught me the incredible power of descending dark, which may be the whole point of the fight

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Epic High Five posted:

He's still knocking around and I've got a new quest from him so I'm assuming I haven't seen the last of him. His fight is one that I was specifically told not to cower away from multiple times by people and this one I beat in 20 minutes of grinding it out probably isn't what they were talking about.

yeah the next one is the first real "gently caress you" dlc boss. his gimmick of always teleporting to the same distance/angle for specific attacks makes him managable once you've thrown yourself at the brick wall enough though.

same can't be said about the rest of the gently caress you crew, who are just "be able to react to this frame 1 or perish"

Yinlock has issued a correction as of 06:50 on Aug 14, 2023

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

bg3 looks neat, skill checks are handled real weirdly though. like once someone touches something or bumps into an npc they have officially enacted the sacred rite of "dibs" and no others are allowed to interfere. guess i'll just wait for modders to do their thing

Whirling posted:

Reading bad reviews of BG3 and I swear there's a sizable number of people who've never actually played the old-school RPGs like BG1+2 but LARP as though they did to poo poo on newer RPGs in general. For example, I keep seeing poo poo like "In Baldur's Gate 3, people talk like modern Americans and act very silly. This is a disgrace to the series!", and I'm so loving awestruck by how someone can say that with a straight face if they ever touched the first two games. A similar thing I've observed is people alleging the old Fallouts were all about political choices and "you have to make hard choices where not everyone can be happy" and that's also a big load of horseshit; every settlement ending in Fallout 1 and 2 is something like "The city thrives after the Vault Dweller/Chosen One did something nice" or "The city is dead because the Vault Dweller/Chosen One did something stupidly evil".

having played bg1/2 earlier this year for the first time, they do not know what they are talking about. like 70% of bg1 is just a roaming fistfight where you are assailed by bandits and 90s pop culture refrences in equal measure

e: bg2 is more serious but there is some very dumb poo poo in there too

Yinlock has issued a correction as of 08:47 on Aug 14, 2023

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

I'm going to try playing Hollow Knight because Super Metroid is one of my favorite SNES games. I wish the bug protagonist didn't have those weird looking horns or that I could wear a helmet to look a bit different. I see there are mods, but man why not offer a little character customization or just start as a cool bounty hunter in a robot suit to begin with??

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

palindrome posted:

I'm going to try playing Hollow Knight because Super Metroid is one of my favorite SNES games. I wish the bug protagonist didn't have those weird looking horns or that I could wear a helmet to look a bit different. I see there are mods, but man why not offer a little character customization or just start as a cool bounty hunter in a robot suit to begin with??

the look grows on you, the protagonist is real tiny compared to p. much everyone else so they gotta pop a bit

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

yeah it is a good art style, it's just a bit too ostentatious for me coming at it fresh. but I'll play it a bunch and probably stop caring about it soon enough.

It would be cool to have helmets and cloaks and robes though. A little character customization is always nice, like famous games super metroid, cave story, castlevania, etc.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

smarxist posted:

this is really funny and i wish hoots bit was about Overwatch 2 so i could defend him vociferously

The angry response to this is even funnier

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

smarxist posted:

this is really funny and i wish hoots bit was about Overwatch 2 so i could defend him vociferously

I wonder if Blizzlols good again.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Oh cool https://www.reddit.com/r/BaldursGate3/comments/15jhnhj/every_caster_should_take_1_level_of_wizard/

Apparently the game combines all the caster levels into one. Might have some class combinations to try out.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
someone recently asked why in gods name the requirements are so high, it's because the game secretly looks better than we know_ https://www.reddit.com/r/BaldursGate3/comments/15qej8b/baldurs_gate_3_in_a_3rd_person_view_with/

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Goa Tse-tung posted:

someone recently asked why in gods name the requirements are so high, it's because the game secretly looks better than we know_ https://www.reddit.com/r/BaldursGate3/comments/15qej8b/baldurs_gate_3_in_a_3rd_person_view_with/

larian does this for pretty much all their games. D:OS2 was also a good lookin' full-fledged first person game too https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dNnh7K4Ggc

their games are more a 3rd person game yet locked from top down view.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Well I just had an old man moment and just realized that DnD doesn't use THAC0 anymore and have been misreading armor classes for the entire game. Guess I'll go crumble to dust now.

GIRL BRAINS
Sep 5, 2011

The gods are small birds

a_gelatinous_cube posted:

Well I just had an old man moment and just realized that DnD doesn't use THAC0 anymore and have been misreading armor classes for the entire game. Guess I'll go crumble to dust now.

No bend bars/lift gates anymore, either

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

a_gelatinous_cube posted:

:stare:

THAC0 has been dead for a quarter-century...

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

One More Fat Nerd posted:

:stare:

THAC0 has been dead for a quarter-century...

post-TSR D&D games where the tabletop rules mattered comes down to Icewind Dale 2, Neverwinter Nights 1/2, The Temple of Elemental Evil, and that Pool of Radiance remake from 2001 that I'm pretty sure only I played

it's understandable that someone might not ever have encountered post-AD&D rules in the jump from the Infinity Engine to today

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

post-TSR D&D games where the tabletop rules mattered comes down to Icewind Dale 2, Neverwinter Nights 1/2, The Temple of Elemental Evil, and that Pool of Radiance remake from 2001 that I'm pretty sure only I played

it's understandable that someone might not ever have encountered post-AD&D rules in the jump from the Infinity Engine to today

hey I played it too.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

it was bugged to poo poo as i recall

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Fuligin posted:

it was bugged to poo poo as i recall

It could delete your C: drive if you weren't careful

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

gradenko_2000 posted:

lol, what, lmao

also nwn1 was fugly as sin even by 2004 standards

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Palladium posted:

lol, what, lmao

also nwn1 was fugly as sin even by 2004 standards

true. anti aliasing and improved lighting has done a lot for the EE on steam imo

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

gradenko_2000 posted:

I think this was if you installed it directly to C, or just one directory above, if I remember right? That game was also not very good, generally, I think, but I barely remember it.

Theres also DDO (kinda), Solasta, Knights Of The Chalice.. I think theres gotta be more but I don't recall offhand.

Also, dudes name is Gelatinous Cube, not unreasonable to think he might be a bit more plugged into D&D than your average '97 CRPGer.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

The big spider guy with all the eyes.... could do without anymore closeups of him

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Goa Tse-tung posted:

you can zoom in and itll settle on a sort of horizontal camera angle for viewing puposes. frankly suprised they didnt put in a camera mode

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Peace Walker was a good pick, I really enjoyed the story. The gameplay was kind of easy, but I'll give it some lee-way on that since it's a port from a portable system - you could see how it would be more challenging on a 4-inch screen. The Extra Ops missions, capturing Tanks and Helicopters, managing R&D of your weapons to match your playstyle - all of that poo poo really worked for me. Wish I could have played it while it was at its peak playerbase to do the versus/co-op stuff more.

in conclusion:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kvc_dWs1f4

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

Knights of the old Republic 1/2
Pathfinder Kingmaker
Pathfinder Wrath of the Righteous

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

I think there might be more games with d20/3rd edition rules than adnd and 5th edition combined.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Lostconfused posted:

I think there might be more games with d20/3rd edition rules than adnd and 5th edition combined.

I dunno, there are a bunch of those first-person adnd games that folks tend to forget about. Eye of the beholder, dungeon hack, menzoberrenzan, those Ravenloft games, etc.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Ok then yeah, I never played them or even heard of them. Still, 3rd edition was the ruleset for computer game RPGs for like 20 years now. At least the ones that were using a dnd like rule system.

It's 4th edition when everyone decided that's enough and it would be better to use their own rules instead.

Lostconfused has issued a correction as of 14:04 on Aug 14, 2023

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Lostconfused posted:

It's 4th edition when everyone decided that's enough and it would be better to use their own rules instead.

that's not really why. Atari held the license for the in-print lifetime of 4e and then did gently caress-all with it. We have every reason to believe that a 4e-based video game would have been quite good, on the scale of XCOM, had it been attempted

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

gradenko_2000 posted:

that's not really why. Atari held the license for the in-print lifetime of 4e and then did gently caress-all with it. We have every reason to believe that a 4e-based video game would have been quite good, on the scale of XCOM, had it been attempted

Might have been the lifespan of the system vs expanding game development times. 4e was only around for 6 years. 5e has been around for 9 and has two games, I think. (BG3 and Solasta is all I know of).

Also, unrelated to D&D:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

https://twitter.com/epyoncf/status/1690838478110568449

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

reviewer is correct. That's clearly not a Rogue-like

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost
God, September 7 cannot get here soon enough.

https://twitter.com/EllohimeTwitch/status/1689726730628435969?s=20

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Homeless Friend posted:

you get to whip out insanely sick evil lines on the guy you betray to his face at the gate. as dark urge you get to pwn a child when you first walk into kahga's room or w/e then dunk on their parents. also as dark urge (think anybody can do it but dark urge gets the hilarious jack the ripper dialogue) theres a graveyard of ppl that end up dying in the druid place and you can desecrate their graves lmfao.

'At least you'll die before the goblins get to the children' lol hell yeah, that was such a hosed line

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

That loving bar at the bottom is messier than an mmo.