Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

What was the typical delay between an event occuring at the front and it appearing in a newsreel in the US?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Urcinius posted:

Can I interest anyone in a game of guess the carrier? Below I’ve quoted a carrier’s War History written by its command staff over the course of World War 2. For this game, I’ve lightly edited out specific references.

Based purely on service dates, I'm guessing Boxer.

Urcinius
Mar 27, 2010

Chapter Master of the
Woobie Marines

Zorak of Michigan posted:

Based purely on service dates, I'm guessing Boxer.

A fine guess! But Boxer was still very much in the Atlantic during this period of the quoted war history.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Here's some recap to my D-Day 75th trip:

Vahakyla posted:

In 2019, I got to go as a paratrooper to the 75th Anniversary D-Day, and jump into Iron Mike dropzone in Sainte-Mère-Église.
I got an asston of photos over the course of a week or so I spent there, and I don't wanna make this a self-loving album of all the poo poo I did. I do consider it to be the best experience of my 32 years of life, and it was such an immense honor it is impossible to put into words in a satisfactory manner. I must have cried half of the time there, getting invited from one French house to another for dinner and getting thanked for the liberation repeatedly every single waking moment of my existence there. Old French grandmas would just come to soldiers and hug them and thank them repeatedly. Really hard to escape.

But I'll share some cool historical photos.

At At 08.00 the British cruisers Ajax and Argonaut engaged a battery at Longues-sur-Mer Battery, and as the story goes, some German artillerymen had to stop their masterpiece.

I can only imagine that the NCO said "we'll fix it after this so no one ever sees it".

Since I was a combat medic, I had to do the tribute to the church at Angoville Au Plain. Two American paratrooper medics, Robert Wright and Kenneth Moore, treated casualties of all nationalities in the church. Both Americans and Germans would approach the church without weapons, and bring wounded to the triage.

The church has this glass art inside it to honor the medics.

In this pew, there's blood of a German paratrooper. I do not know if he made it.

Countless countries send their people to the D-Day Anniversary. As do Germans.
Here is myself posing with Daniel, A Bundeswehr Leopard Crewman. Their unit was part of the German unit that brought in a Panther and some other period-correct equipment. As cheesy as it was, Daniel said the French are much nicer to him than to his grandpa.

The celebration was quite huge. There was no cell service because tens of thousands of people filled the area, and there most certainly isn't much car driving. Once again, really loving hard to describe how many people there are. There are a few cafes that refuse to serve German soldiers in there, but overall the mood was very good. Most French invite the German paratroopers to their houses for food, and give them wine just as much. When we were taking a picture near midnight of 05&06 June, one French family wanted a picture with all of us who were out chatting, and our new German friends stood to the aside. The old grandmother of the family dragged them in, and said something in french which caused our german friends to cry. Later on I asked what it was, and the french-speaking German said she had said "It is peace now, you are my sons and now we celebrate". Further tears and hugs ensued.

In this picture you got two Finnish special forces nerds, two Germans, and two americans. No clue who the child is.

I also left a flower at the gravesite of Lieutenant Brotheridge, who is buried in the nearby town that was liberated. LT Brotheridge is the first allied casualty of the operation, he was a British Para member, who died on Pegasus Bridge, trying to lead his men against the machinegun that was hosing them down. The local school children tend to his grave today.

Here's my and my newly acquired Dutch friend on Iron Mike dropzone.

Took me and my lieutenant over two hours to walk the quick hop from Iron Mike dropzone back to the town center, because the amount of people was so ridiculously huge that it was a human mass to get through. And you weren't making it through without hugging and kissing most people on the way.

It's one of the most amazing experiences I had, easily. I took some 1500 photos during my time there, and got to do things I'll tell my grandkids about like riding on backboard of C-130 over Normandy or jumping into it, making all these friends, and getting paid to do it.

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

Urcinius posted:

A fine guess! But Boxer was still very much in the Atlantic during this period of the quoted war history.

Looks like Shangri-La?

Urcinius
Mar 27, 2010

Chapter Master of the
Woobie Marines

OpenlyEvilJello posted:

Looks like Shangri-La?

Correct! For anyone curious, Shangri-La was proud of its 6,315 landings by 1 April 1945. The war history can be enjoyed on the National Archives catalog, https://catalog.archives.gov/id/77686527?objectPage=73

Shangri-La was replaced by Bon Homme Richard for April and May 1945 until Saratoga completed its repairs.

Good job zeroing in quickly on the Essex-class!

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

The only ship named after a presidential joke. :allears:

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

You don't count Ford?

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

Urcinius posted:

Correct! For anyone curious, Shangri-La was proud of its 6,315 landings by 1 April 1945. The war history can be enjoyed on the National Archives catalog, https://catalog.archives.gov/id/77686527?objectPage=73

Shangri-La was replaced by Bon Homme Richard for April and May 1945 until Saratoga completed its repairs.

Good job zeroing in quickly on the Essex-class!

I can't speak for anyone else, but to me, "fight going our way" meant '44 or '45 and the TF58 Tokyo strike narrowed it to '45 only, so from there it was really a matter of looking for carriers that commissioned in the months leading up to February '45. It's too late for an Independence, let alone any of the prewar ships.

Zorak of Michigan posted:

You don't count Ford?

Joke by versus joke of a president?

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Vahakyla posted:

Here's some recap to my D-Day 75th trip:

:tipshat:

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Greggster posted:

I've always wondered, how did the Soviet Union prepare for future conflict against imperial Japan?
Were they part of the planning of the invasion fleet, and if so, what were their calculations and did they have an equivalent to the purple heart?
I understand that this might be a hard question to ask considering first the whole iron curtain thing and the small disagreement west and east had for a couple or decades, and given recent war and information probably not coming out of Russia

The bulk of the preparation was for the liberation of Manchuria and Korea. Whether this (which meant completely cutting off most steel, coal, and food, as well as rolling up large amounts of surviving forces--the Kwantung Army was in the process of partially redeploying to the home islands, but this had not yet completed) was sufficient to cause a surrender alone is the topic of this thread around every six weeks, though as usual I'll note that the Japanese consensus is that it was.

There was fighting in the Kurils both before and after surrender, and their garrisons were about equal in scale to what was reserved for the defense of Hokkaido--and as Randomcheese3 noted, this was near-entirely off the back of Project Hula, any indigenous capacity being used instead to support the Korean thrust. My own read is that a landing in Hokkaido with what was available would have been a likely but not a sure thing, as a defense could potentially have been concentrated to meet each of the staggered landings, supplied over land, and more easily reinforced across the protected strait from Aomori, unlike in the Kurils where the garrison was split at opposite ends of the island chain and cut off from the mainland by open sea. In any case, it was judged some combination of too costly militarily and diplomatically, post-surrender, for what they would produce. I do not think "more Siberia, but on an island" was highly valued by Soviet leadership, and this was in the context of having already agreed to emergency American requests to halt at the 38th in Korea.

Any speculation about landings in Tohoku following Hokkaido, which is where the mass casualties would have come from, is entirely dependent on decisions that were never made, and does not appear to have had any sort of solid Soviet planning. There's, uh, not much north of the Tokyo exurbs worth defending if you actually are playing some triply-cursed wargame where you're scored on how many casualties you inflict before the final provisional Daihonei headquarters in a mine in Nagano is overrun, but that wouldn't have been the mindset of any of the people involved.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk

ilmucche posted:

I'm sorry what?

This Canadian beauty:

It was...less than appreciated.

The idea was that the soldiers could gain some extra protection from the shovel they had to carry anyways.
The reality was that their shovel now had a large hole in it that made it very lovely for the job of shoveling things, the shield wasn't thick enough to meaningfully protect the soldier while fighting, the stupid thing was very cumbersome, requiring you to expose yourself even more in order to use it and the metal plate had a tendency to attract enemy fire since it stands out a good deal more than a dude lying prone with a mostly brown rifle.

The designer was of course very offended when he got this feedback.

Edit: welp, beaten repeatedly on the previous page. Oh well.

SerthVarnee fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Aug 15, 2023

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I appreciate the image though, never seen it displayed like that.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

gohuskies posted:

Not only was US anti-air and CAP better in 1944 and 45, but the Japanese pilots were worse. A kamikaze doesn't do that much more damage than just dropping a bomb does - the difference is, it was easier for a poorly trained pilot to hit with a kamikaze than with a bomb or torpedo.

There would have been little point in flying kamikaze sorties in the 1942 carrier battles, since at that point the IJN still had pilots who could actually hit something.

Hiryu's counterattacks were incredibly efficient for how few planes took part in either compared to the American attacks. Those pilots were top notch.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Tomn posted:

So this is a wild counterfactual but I'm kinda curious now - if there weren't any effective countermeasures against kamikaze, then if Japan or any other country had lost its mind and decided to go all-in with kamikazes as a tactic and strategy even pre-war, building its entire air arm around the concept of human-piloted cruise missiles including presumably specifically designed aircraft for such purposes, how effective and efficient would that have been? Like, leaving aside the question of morality, morale, and whether the civilian population or foreign governments would accept it, is a dedicated kamikaze a better logistical, industrial, and trained manpower trade than a well-trained bomber in the context of the technological constraints of WW2?

No. It's just not as economical as a bomber, not even close.

A Kamikaze AT BEST hits one target once at the cost of a plane.

A bomber hits targets over and over and over.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Cessna posted:

No. It's just not as economical as a bomber, not even close.

They were working on that with the Ohka bomb, basically taking out the part where you use a valuable airplane for a kamakazie. Kind of a new production version of jurry rigging a 250 kilo bomb onto a training or obsolete aircraft that's probably headed for the scrap yard anyway.

Taken from an utterly detached, 10,000 feet in the air view the whole kamakazie thing is a pretty interesting solution to the question of how to have PGMs in an era before computers got small enough to really make true PGMs work out. Yes, yes, there was the Fritz X and that one USN project, but those were bleeding edge and were basically remote controlled drones rather than true fire and forget PGMs.

The solution of sticking a human inside to be the guidance system is (obviously) loving monstrous, and doubly so when you get into how you convince people to do that and just how profoundly gross that gets, but in a very WH40k way of just looking at your available resources and effect on target it's an interesting approach.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Cyrano4747 posted:

The solution of sticking a human inside to be the guidance system is (obviously) loving monstrous, and doubly so when you get into how you convince people to do that and just how profoundly gross that gets, but in a very WH40k way of just looking at your available resources and effect on target it's an interesting approach.

Hell, look at Aphrodite; even when you have the guy working the controls right near the “missile” looking it in all the, they success rate was near-zero and fratricide was significant (parachutes not opening, other planes being caught in the blast, the whole Kennedy thing…).

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
You also have to consider that anti-shipping strikes isn't all a plane is expected to do.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Cyrano4747 posted:

They were working on that with the Ohka bomb, basically taking out the part where you use a valuable airplane for a kamakazie. Kind of a new production version of jurry rigging a 250 kilo bomb onto a training or obsolete aircraft that's probably headed for the scrap yard anyway.

Taken from an utterly detached, 10,000 feet in the air view the whole kamakazie thing is a pretty interesting solution to the question of how to have PGMs in an era before computers got small enough to really make true PGMs work out. Yes, yes, there was the Fritz X and that one USN project, but those were bleeding edge and were basically remote controlled drones rather than true fire and forget PGMs.

I think part of the problem is that we're looking at an aircraft carrier as something that is intended to attack other aircraft carriers - high value targets that can be hit and wrecked with a precision strike.

Consider - aircraft carriers only engaged other carriers five (5) times in the entire Pacific War.* The vast majority of an aircraft carrier's work was spent doing other things, like sending bombers to attack land bases, scouting, protecting or threatening shipping, etc.

Okha-style one-shot weapons just don't work for these jobs given the realities of WWII. Are you going to attack a land airbase with Okhas? Once you've launched that strike, then what, where's the next strike coming from? Are you going to use Okhas as patrol planes? How are you going to "cover" an amphibious landing with Okhas?

And even attacking carriers was the norm, having your "alpha strike" be a one-shot deal would be disastrous. Consider how many times planes were sent out after the wrong target or didn't locate the enemy; every one of those would have been a disaster with no chance to recover the planes and strike again.

* Coral Sea, Eastern Solomons, Leyte, Midway, Santa Cruz

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Cessna posted:

I think part of the problem is that we're looking at an aircraft carrier as something that is intended to attack other aircraft carriers - high value targets that can be hit and wrecked with a precision strike.

Consider - aircraft carriers only engaged other carriers five (5) times in the entire Pacific War.* The vast majority of an aircraft carrier's work was spent doing other things, like sending bombers to attack land bases, scouting, protecting or threatening shipping, etc.

Okha-style one-shot weapons just don't work for these jobs given the realities of WWII. Are you going to attack a land airbase with Okhas? Once you've launched that strike, then what, where's the next strike coming from? Are you going to use Okhas as patrol planes? How are you going to "cover" an amphibious landing with Okhas?

And even attacking carriers was the norm, having your "alpha strike" be a one-shot deal would be disastrous. Consider how many times planes were sent out after the wrong target or didn't locate the enemy; every one of those would have been a disaster with no chance to recover the planes and strike again.

* Coral Sea, Eastern Solomons, Leyte, Midway, Santa Cruz

Sure, but talking about kamikazes and carrier ops are kind of two different things. The Kamakazie operations didn't really get into swing until the summer of 1944, and I don't believe that they were ever launched from carriers (correct me if I'm wrong on that). I would argue that they were never intended to be a replacement or even supplement for naval-based aviation, what they were really more analogous to is modern day shore based ASMs.

Something like the Okha isn't a replacement for conventional aircraft at all, it's just a new type of guided munition. If your core problem is that you lack trained pilots but still need a shore-based way to threaten enemy fleets, it (and the more typical repurposed airplane as a kamikaze) is a solution. All of those things you're saying you cant do with an Okha are also things you can't do with a swarm of barely trained pilots anyways - that just leads to the Marianas Turkey Shoot. Your typical kamakazie squadron flying conventional aircraft are equally unable to recon, patrol, or cover a landing beach just because their pilots are basically untrained. They're not airplanes, really, they're airplanes repurposed as PGMs.

The Kaiten is another good example of this dynamic. It's a kamakazie torpedo. The solution it's solving is fundamentally "how do we create a guided torpedo with 1945 tech." It's never going to be a patrol ship or something you conduct recon with or something you use to pick up downed fliers or insert commandos or any of the other things a sub can do, but that's because it's not a submarine: it's a PGM that's using a person as the guidance system.

Cyrano4747 fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Aug 15, 2023

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Cyrano4747 posted:

Something like the Okha isn't a replacement for conventional aircraft at all,

But that was the posed question, here:

Tomn posted:

So this is a wild counterfactual but I'm kinda curious now - if there weren't any effective countermeasures against kamikaze, then if Japan or any other country had lost its mind and decided to go all-in with kamikazes as a tactic and strategy even pre-war, building its entire air arm around the concept of human-piloted cruise missiles including presumably specifically designed aircraft for such purposes, how effective and efficient would that have been? Like, leaving aside the question of morality, morale, and whether the civilian population or foreign governments would accept it, is a dedicated kamikaze a better logistical, industrial, and trained manpower trade than a well-trained bomber in the context of the technological constraints of WW2?

That's what I was responding to, and using your statement as a refinement of that question because you brought up the Okha.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Cessna posted:

By the end of the war American air defenses were so good that arguably Kamikaze strikes were more efficient than conventional strikes, at least that's the way Norman Friedman describes the situation in his book on carrier fighters.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Did BF Skinners pigeon guidance system work? Use that.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Cessna posted:

But that was the posed question, here:

That's what I was responding to, and using your statement as a refinement of that question because you brought up the Okha.

Oh ok, my bad. I missed the part where this was an all-in thing on the pre war.

Yeah as a conventional weapon it's extremely limited, in the same reasons why going all-in on only guided missiles would be silly today. It's fine if your strategic and tactical needs are limited to territorial defense or maybe attacking things very close by (see: Taiwan) but doesn't work if you want to conduct conventional operations beyond your borders.

edit: also I would argue that you require the threat of an existential conflict in the losing phases to make that kind of program palatable at all. I can't imagine how a pre-war japanese society would react to just blithely training squadrons of suicide pilots to be on standby during peacetime. See also: the Volkssturm. If Hitler had started the war in 1939 by throwing untrained and ill-equipped 12 year olds at the Polish army he probably would have had a significant domestic problem, even if the rest of the campaign goes well.

Cyrano4747 fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Aug 15, 2023

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

By the end of the war American air defenses were so good that arguably Kamikaze strikes were more efficient than conventional strikes, at least that's the way Norman Friedman describes the situation in his book on carrier fighters.

Again, that wasn't the question.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Sure, but talking about kamikazes and carrier ops are kind of two different things. The Kamakazie operations didn't really get into swing until the summer of 1944, and I don't believe that they were ever launched from carriers (correct me if I'm wrong on that). I would argue that they were never intended to be a replacement or even supplement for naval-based aviation, what they were really more analogous to is modern day shore based ASMs.

Something like the Okha isn't a replacement for conventional aircraft at all, it's just a new type of guided munition. If your core problem is that you lack trained pilots but still need a shore-based way to threaten enemy fleets, it (and the more typical repurposed airplane as a kamikaze) is a solution. All of those things you're saying you cant do with an Okha are also things you can't do with a swarm of barely trained pilots anyways - that just leads to the Marianas Turkey Shoot. Your typical kamakazie squadron flying conventional aircraft are equally unable to recon, patrol, or cover a landing beach just because their pilots are basically untrained. They're not airplanes, really, they're airplanes repurposed as PGMs.

The Kaiten is another good example of this dynamic. It's a kamakazie torpedo. The solution it's solving is fundamentally "how do we create a guided torpedo with 1945 tech." It's never going to be a patrol ship or something you conduct recon with or something you use to pick up downed fliers or insert commandos or any of the other things a sub can do, but that's because it's not a submarine: it's a PGM that's using a person as the guidance system.

"Kamakazie" sounds like one of those annoyingly re-spelled modern girls' names.

It'd fit right in with Mackenzeigh and Psamantha.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Xiahou Dun posted:

"Kamakazie" sounds like one of those annoyingly re-spelled modern girls' names.

It'd fit right in with Mackenzeigh and Psamantha.

*shrug* I'm a terrible speller at the best of times and when I'm doing a quick poo poo post and my browser is throwing squiggly lines under a non-english word I tend not to worry too much about it.

Also gently caress you for introducing me to the concept of Psamantha. Goddamn. Please tell me that's something that leapt from your sick, twisted mind and not something you've found in the wild.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Cyrano4747 posted:

*shrug* I'm a terrible speller at the best of times and when I'm doing a quick poo poo post and my browser is throwing squiggly lines under a non-english word I tend not to worry too much about it.

Also gently caress you for introducing me to the concept of Psamantha. Goddamn. Please tell me that's something that leapt from your sick, twisted mind and not something you've found in the wild.

I'm an awful speller and not attaching any moral judgement to that. I would not fare well in that war and won't start it.

I just found that particular spelling amusing.

And no. No, I did not make up "Psamantha". The eldritch depths of my psyche can not compete with the dystopian horror we live in.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Oh. Oh, no.

That's just terrible.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

I googled Psamantha and found this:

quote:

My kids used to have friends in school whose names were Neptune, Galaxy, and Uranus. All girls.

And no, this is NOT a legend or a myth. Their parents were astronomers. Poor Uranus got it the worst.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Quackles posted:

I googled Psamantha and found this:

Christ, there are so many astronomical names that are also greek/roman mythology, finding 3 good ones would be trivial

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Yura, Nep, and Lax as nicknames go at least all sounds decent.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Raenir Salazar posted:

Yura, Nep, and Lax as nicknames go at least all sounds decent.

No, no they don't.

Also:

Milhist thread: Poor Uranus got it the worst.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

It was one of the crucial points in the battle of Stalingrad, no way is it the worst!

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I was at an anime convention and there was a dude who was selling fake bullets (I dunno what the term is, they could be chambered but lacked gunpowder to be fired?) and it was funny seeing how many I could correctly name which gun they were for based off of all the tiktok gun reloading asmr videos ive been watching lately.

We also had a nice chat about forgotten weapons and other milhist youtube channels. I was definitely tempted to buy something but I'm still clearing out my current hoard of junk I don't need. :(

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Cessna posted:

Oh. Oh, no.

That's just terrible.

It's a real Tragedeigh.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

madeintaipei posted:

It's a real Tragedeigh.

Boo this man

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

There's a short story by Asimov, The Feeling of Power, about a future where people have become so reliant on computers that they've forgotten how to do basic math. An amateur rediscovers arithmetic, and shows it to the military, who realize that they can launch guided missiles with an inexpensive human pilot instead of blowing up an irreplaceable computer every time.

Raenir Salazar posted:

(I dunno what the term is, they could be chambered but lacked gunpowder to be fired?)

Dummy bullets.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Chamale posted:

Dummy bullets.

I'd always heard "inert", but maybe that's only for explosive shells?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I wonder how many flight sims have the One Judy that Somehow Sunk the Princeton without slamming into it as a mission.