Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I would actually like to see that explored so I hope the theory is right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
Borsalino owns and I want to know what makes him tick, very much hoping we get to see something along those lines especially since it sets up Luffy so perfectly to kick his rear end.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
He kind of needs to be interested in 1 on 1s because he could avoid every fight otherwise.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Given that something earth-shaking is about to happen, I think everyone has been assuming that either Saturn or Kizaru are about to get merked to kick off the final act. But it would be cool if Kizaru actually switched sides to help Sentomaru and Vegapunk and thats what flips the script instead.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Aug 15, 2023

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Aramaki’s pretty much the only admiral we’ve seen so far who is cool with just enacting the will of the celestials. Even Akainu has crossed words with them.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Nephthys posted:

Given that something earth-shaking is about to happen, I think everyone has been assuming that either Saturn or Kizaru are about to get merked to kick off the final act. But it would be cool if Kizaru actually switched sides to help Sentomaru and Vegapunk.

killing or kidnapping a gorosei would be pretty massive yeah.

my other guess is that this results in a total military defeat of the marines, the first time a buster call has had survivors (besides robin and enies lobby), but the opposing force has actually won.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Would be fun if Luffy is picking up Ju Peter and not light man. Excited for their reunion regardless given the last time they met he pretty much eliminated the crew.

considering luffy has met kizaru before theres a decent chance its someone else but also just kizaru giving a poo poo
[

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I hope Kizaru fights Blackbeard at least once so we can have a "light cannot escape a black hole" moment.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

My guess would be that the Blackbeard Pirates frame Luffy for the murder of Saturn. Explains why the BB pirates are there and the attack on Charlos was one of the biggest news stories from the reverie. Plus it potentially puts Luffy in a similar position to Sabo with people supporting his supposed action

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Gyges posted:

Out of curiosity, is anyone even official release only at this point? It's kind of silly that outside break week this entire thing is more redacted than a government release about Area 51.

i am. i like reading all my shonen jump titles before bed on sunday. it's a nice little ritual. plus i think the official translation is better at this time.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
If only they’d stop saying Zolo

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

hatty posted:

His name is Zolo because otherwise his voice actor would have to do the spanish accent they gave Mihawk and Metaknight.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

hatty posted:

Is the Zorro franchise still a thing? Maybe it’s a copyright issue (though the Viz dub of the anime has no problem saying “Zoro”)

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

https://twitter.com/tcbscans/status/1690474677955616769?s=46&t=kRx4sq76ryXHjk6wINOgEw

TCBros…

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Larryb posted:

Is the Zorro franchise still a thing? Maybe it’s a copyright issue (though the Viz dub of the anime has no problem saying “Zoro”)

It's mostly public domain at this point, but the author's estate is very litigious, so it's not surprising that they were cautious. Especially since Zoro is a swordsman, and the milieu of the series is somewhat similar to the era of the original stories, it's understandable that they thought it would leave them vulnerable to a lawsuit.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Ray O'Leary has a power to him.

edit: wrong thread.

Luffy has a power to him.

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019
zoro is supposed to be 'like a samurai' though instead of a fencer like zorro

nothing legally distinct there

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010
Zoro wearing his bandana with the shadowed eyes kinda looks like Zorro's mask

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019
might as well sue the ninja turtles too since leo wields katanas and wears a bandana over his eyes

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

He's not Zorro, he's Leonardo da Vinci

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

BoosterDuck posted:

zoro is supposed to be 'like a samurai' though instead of a fencer like zorro

nothing legally distinct there

If my understanding of Japanese copyright law is correct, over there two characters can have the same name as long as they don’t look alike (see also, a number of robots in the classic Megaman series)

Isra the Great
Apr 5, 2009

A pleasure to meet you, my good bro.

Larryb posted:

If my understanding of Japanese copyright law is correct, over there two characters can have the same name as long as they don’t look alike (see also, a number of robots in the classic Megaman series)

That is fair, Yamato Man does look nothing like our man Yamato.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I was more referring to the fact that several robot masters share their names with comic book characters (off the top of my head there’s Aquaman, Starman, Iceman, Coldman, and probably more I’m forgetting).

Hell, in Japan Bombman from the first game is called Bomberman

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/TCBScans/status/1691889726867812406?s=20

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

:negative:

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Sentomaru is having a hell of a day, huh? Imagine you get called in on your day off, and your adoptive dadgrampa goes "Hey, I know you were excited about becoming a cop and all, but secret government agents are here to kill us and the army has sent a fleet to blow up our house. I'm going to need you to fight your soon-to-be-ex-boss in a bit."

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

He seems pretty ready to go. Adapting well imo.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Funky Valentine posted:

Kizaru's been basically a huge cipher for years, good to get some outline of his character that isn't "vaguely stoned on the job".

look he's only lightly stoned

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.

Inadequately posted:

Sentomaru is having a hell of a day, huh? Imagine you get called in on your day off, and your adoptive dadgrampa goes "Hey, I know you were excited about becoming a cop and all, but secret government agents are here to kill us and the army has sent a fleet to blow up our house. I'm going to need you to fight your soon-to-be-ex-boss in a bit."

a leapord man also punched a hole through him

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

yum posted:

a leapord man also punched a hole through him

A leopard man from a whole arc before his first appearance. He's fine.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Gyges posted:

Out of curiosity, is anyone even official release only at this point? It's kind of silly that outside break week this entire thing is more redacted than a government release about Area 51.

I'm on the actual Viz paper volumes, but I'm not even close to caught up anyway. One day! I think binging is the best, but I'm proud of everyone who's caught up. I peek at the thread for cruise camaraderie and hype from time to time.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
It's me, I am the official version only reader.

If this thread went to talking about spoilers freely, I'd probably just like, not read it? Don't really see the need to kick up a fuss about it, though I like reading the discussions since sometimes I miss stuff, so the way the thread is now is appreciated.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

Viridiant posted:

It's me, I am the official version only reader.

If this thread went to talking about spoilers freely, I'd probably just like, not read it? Don't really see the need to kick up a fuss about it, though I like reading the discussions since sometimes I miss stuff, so the way the thread is now is appreciated.

I'm official release only reader and i wish that jump would get the Japanese govt to seek out and execute the leakers so everyone can enjoy one piece at the same time

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

I'm an excellent critic! I automatically know when someone's done a bad job. Before you ask, yes it's a mixed blessing.
Cybernetic Crumb
Yeah, I'm an official release reader only. Beyond just enjoying reading the new One Piece along with all the other new SJ manga on Sunday morning, I've been annoyed way too often by fan translators' nonsense.

Jorenko
Jun 6, 2004

I think you're just mad 'cause you're single.
I'll read the fanscans just to keep up with the discussion. But the fact that we still have fanscans in this day of free simulpub is very silly, and I personally think it would be far better for both the industry and the fandom in the long run if we fully shunned and ignored fanscans of anything with such luxury available.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Well, the issue is that no matter how simul the pub is, the magazine still leaks.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Jorenko posted:

I'll read the fanscans just to keep up with the discussion. But the fact that we still have fanscans in this day of free simulpub is very silly, and I personally think it would be far better for both the industry and the fandom in the long run if we fully shunned and ignored fanscans of anything with such luxury available.

Or, people who don't like the fanscans can just not read them and get off their high-horse (if they're on one) about not reading them.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I’m half suspicious that the people complaining about black bars from fan scans are making a point about spoiler complainers

and I gotta say that’s awesome and hilarious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
I just literally want leakers drawn and quartered. Is that so much to ask?