Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Your daily cup of fuck you.

Jaded Burnout posted:

I stayed at my school into 6th form for my A-levels and it was like this for sure, but a friend of mine left and went to a dedicated technical college to do a BTEC for those years instead, and it was much more like a community college than just more school.

The general ambience of a college is a lot different than it is for sixth form as well. Colleges obviously do not have a bunch of secondary school age people walking around. Also back in my day colleges were not affected by section 28 so that was different too.

You might also go further afar and accommodation isn’t really a thing either

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
I continued to my school's sixth form rather than leave to college like all the cool kids because my parents held their legally obliged upbringing of my child self over me at every opportunity depriving me of the free will to make decisions until they were shot of me at which point they became incredibly angry at my poor life choices.

And here we are.

So I'm stapling more air paper in my ceilings

Using the green germany tape in the ceilings but unsure on walls now as the plasterer I have agreed to go with has said it is weird and unplasterable. Great.

starting to look pretty good though

Its becoming apparent that my ceilings were not finished and quite a lot of extra timber was still needed up there to secure not just the paper to but the plasterboard. Or drywall I guess? dryceiling?

I refuse to accept this and buy a couple of pieces at a time. I have now been to wickes every day for 6 days to buy extra

Classic

this is the last bedroom and maybe now i have finally measured up right and put in what I need such that I dont have to go up above and awkwardly install more timber structure from above as an afterthought.

Gotta deal with these expansion joints in the walls. I don't think there are actually enough but whatever

I pump my gunk in

Hopefully to someone's satisfaction

Fell off the milk crate

gave up for a bit and watched the lady football

one of three piles of plasterboard gone

Last bedroom done

Possibly on target?

Airtighting the hallway

Don't think the board hoist is going to work in this tight space.

Airtight ceiling boxes for bedroom big lights are easy from the loft

Next I maybe want to get on with the plasterboarding loft ceiling as dunno what the access is going to be up there soon. So need to do things like finish off the air humidity/quality whatever sensors.

Soldering up the sensors to run back to sensor suite locations

Hmmm. dunno toilet has stopped leaking but will have to be removed now to let plasterers come in.

NotJustANumber99 fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Aug 17, 2023

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The ceilings are doing a good job of concealing the thousands of miles of ducting and wire in the attic space and making it look more like a normal place someone would live in, so that's great.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
Hobbies, Crafts, & Houses > Towards an L shape architecture: I pump my gunk in

Horatius Bonar
Sep 8, 2011

Maybe I'm missing something but when you say the plasterer says that the tape is weird and unplasterable, is the barrier some kind of material that is somehow plasterable, and the one issue is just the green tape at the seams?

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Green tape is a good metaphor for things that arbitrarily get in the way of progress.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Can you not just tape over the tape with plasterer approved tape?

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
Learn to plaster. DIY it. You can't trust contractors

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Vim Fuego posted:

Learn to plaster. DIY it. You can't trust contractors

I'm already feeling uneasy about it.

Horatius Bonar posted:

Maybe I'm missing something but when you say the plasterer says that the tape is weird and unplasterable, is the barrier some kind of material that is somehow plasterable, and the one issue is just the green tape at the seams?

I'll speak to him again. But the tape is glossy and shiny, I can understand how stuff won't adhere to it. The membrane itself I assume is fine because its sort of textured and slightly fluffy. The other tape I bought from the same passive house crowd was explicitly plasterable. This is for sealing off airtight in the window apertures. It has a very fluffy not at all glossy finish. Maybe I can use this tape instead around the wall/ceiling joints and tape over the glossy tape rooms I've already done as

tangy yet delightful posted:

Can you not just tape over the tape with plasterer approved tape?

you suggest.

Except actually the plasterer is refusing to plaster those window apertures either as he says the floppy cavity closures are no good so that is going to be dot and dabbed with a bit of board on top of the airtight, plasterable tape. Meaning this tape will not be plastered and I could have used the green glossy tape here.

aniviron posted:

Green tape is a good metaphor for things that arbitrarily get in the way of progress.

Lol. Basically the whole passive house airtight solution I bought is completely at odds with what the plasterers want to be paid thousands to do. I already feel like he was ignoring everything I was saying and planning in his head how he was going to do it differently.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

plasterboard is so heavy that i've never really understood how some of the attachment solutions are good enough to hold it in place, dot and dab sort of but especially when you use those tiny black screws. and then you can attach moderately heavy objects to it with no issue!

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Our house needed a lot of work doing when we moved in and I had a real existential moment when I had to fix a floorboard upstairs while there was a hole in the plaster of the ceiling underneath, meaning I could see all the way through to the hallway floor.

Houses are basically fake! They're mostly empty air!

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Party Boat posted:

Our house needed a lot of work doing when we moved in and I had a real existential moment when I had to fix a floorboard upstairs while there was a hole in the plaster of the ceiling underneath, meaning I could see all the way through to the hallway floor.

You put your foot through the ceiling didn't you

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
My house is 1930s shuttered concrete which seems pretty not fake.

American houses made out of lollipop sticks though? Reckon I could take a running dropkick at an exterior wall and end up in someone's living room

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

CancerCakes posted:

You put your foot through the ceiling didn't you

No it was an old house that had pipes etc running up the walls so left holes when we modernised.

I did get to sledgehammer / crowbar / kick apart the old cupboard that the back boiler had been in which was very satisfying.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Party Boat posted:

They have played us for absolute fools.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Party Boat posted:

This is triggering me about living in a 1930s flat in south London, absolutely zero noise insulation from the one upstairs. They removed the carpet and clomped around in high heels shouting at their dog.

Amusingly the guy was extremely white and the woman was not, and he seemed to prefer to dress in vaguely colonial clothes when they rarely ventured into the garden. Not quite a pith helmet but not far off.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Party Boat posted:

That's why you have to have good airtightness. If you don't, most of the house will leak out through the walls.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

How do you protect against quantum tunneling?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Extremely high intensity magnetic fields.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

goatface posted:

Extremely high intensity magnetic fields.

Finally an explanation for the miles of wire.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

vanity slug posted:

How do you protect against quantum tunneling?

It's usually not a big consideration if you build a house more than 1Å in length

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
What are those plastic light boxes attached to? From the pictures it looks like they're just taped to the paper, but that can't be right, right?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Darkest Auer posted:

What are those plastic light boxes attached to? From the pictures it looks like they're just taped to the paper, but that can't be right, right?

I'm not confirming or denying anything. But why couldn't that be right?

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I'm not confirming or denying anything. But why couldn't that be right?

I'm just concerned that the structural integrity of paper is even less than that of foam blocks

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

NotJustANumber99 posted:

he was ignoring everything I was saying and planning in his head how he was going to do it differently.

Contractors are like 3 year olds, do not tell them what to do or what not to do. Redirect their attention and set up the scene, so that they naturally head in the direction you want
-Sun Tzu

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Darkest Auer posted:

I'm just concerned that the structural integrity of paper is even less than that of foam blocks

Yeah It's not like totally just paper. To be honest I'm pretty sure its the exact same membrane I ham covered my soakaway in?

Like I worked as a kid packing sweets or candy for big shops and I'm pretty sure all the housebuilding stuff is the same. They buy their crap from the same distributor and either print passive house trees, or aldi ham on it and we all just accept it while the elites swan off on their yachts.

Like its pretty robust, taks a bit to stick a knife through it. Much the same as it took a bit to perforate it when I dropped a bunch of concrete spoil on it

feels like I'm repeatedly bent over and hosed by charlatans

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

So I realise I've created the perfect off book post apocalypse rendition torture chamber.

I mean the aesthetics too

even better in the other bathroom with no window. Got the led profile to powerfully feign any light I care to coupled with gassing ability whilst we survive all nuclear assaults on my formidable piles.

anyway remembered my little laser for lining up screwing in plasterboard

then up in the loft to install a bit of dogshit fluffy candyfloss

OK so I've got a bunch of other wires and stuff to run in the various lofts to plug in all the pirs, leds and probably etcs. I've run out of money

loving pissed off about those selotape down boxes that cost a fortune.

But I've still got a bunch of downlighters, PIRS etc that need to penetrate my air tight layer. So I'm going rogue.

All these storage ice cream tubs and areal liquids are now mine.

Thats 20 ice cream tubs, cost like over a hundred quid if you tell them youre sellotaping them into your ceiling. So... don't tell them

Drill a hole, install airtight bung

install into ceiling

Theyre too big though for the PIR sensors. No relevant product seems to exist. this looks good thought

drill a hole in it

Is it an ikea plastic cup that sells for 6 for a quid fifty? yes it is

does it work?

yep

Utility room ceiling

looks cool with light shining up

then with candyfloss in

Thats just one layer, need another layer in

Nova69
Jul 12, 2012

beautiful

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Building seems like a pain in the arse tbh.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Aren't plastic electrical fixtures supposed to be made of something fire-resistant?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

withak posted:

Aren't plastic electrical fixtures supposed to be made of something fire-resistant?

insulated plastic electrical fixtures

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
The combination of penny pinching on things like fixtures & fittings on one hand, and casually dropping thousands on other bits never ceases to amaze.

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

Just Winging It posted:

The combination of penny pinching on things like fixtures & fittings on one hand, and casually dropping thousands on other bits never ceases to amaze.

Agreed. Absolutely hilarious

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I really badly want, 30 years from now, a thread where a new owner starts getting into the guts of the L and just slowly loses their drat minds for our entertainment.

"So today I got into the ceiling crawlspace and got wrapped up in miles of copper. I was stuck up there for 18 hours, I think I'm lucky to be alive. I traced what I believe to be a lighting circuit to...an ice cream tub."

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Just Winging It posted:

:golfclap:

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

Arrath posted:

I really badly want, 30 years from now, a thread where a new owner starts getting into the guts of the L and just slowly loses their drat minds for our entertainment.

"So today I got into the ceiling crawlspace and got wrapped up in miles of copper. I was stuck up there for 18 hours, I think I'm lucky to be alive. I traced what I believe to be a lighting circuit to...an ice cream tub."

then I found out the sensor that was making the place run at full heat and had the place at 200 degrees was in a loving ikea cup sellotaped to paper?????

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Your daily cup of fuck you.

Arrath posted:

Most people might get a little box full of bits of papers with warranty of cooker, lights fans etc. Whoever buys this needs to get a hard book binded print-out of this thread

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I think goons are overegging how weird the house is. Sure the smart home stuff is overcomplicated and definitely not going to work well, but a lot more thought and care seems to be going into the actual construction and finishing than a lot of places.

skybolt_1
Oct 21, 2010
Fun Shoe

distortion park posted:

I think goons are overegging how weird the house is. Sure the smart home stuff is overcomplicated and definitely not going to work well, but a lot more thought and care seems to be going into the actual construction and finishing than a lot of places.

Agreed, like the whole mockery around the Ethernet cables... Multiple switches, unless you are dealing with high end managed enterprise hardware, introduce a whole new level of failure points and complexity. Ethernet cable is cheap, and it is cheapest when it's run before the walls are up. Its exactly how I would have done it if given the chance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

For me it’s more the contrast between doubling down on a “correct” approach in the face of cheaper paths more travelled, and cutting every corner possible in every other area, with no real way of knowing which one you’re going to from one post to the next.