Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Another poster! I was thinking Perrin would be with Mat but this makes sense too

https://twitter.com/TheWheelOfTime/status/1691821671110578648

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Mat is with Min, they must travel to Falme together somehow.

https://twitter.com/TheWheelOfTime/status/1691828471818080646?s=20

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

the sons of hawkwing hated aes sedai i guess, and when they got to seanchan they found aes sedai claiming power for themselves

it's a pretty understandable path to where they are, and tbf without mat getting involved they probably would have wrecked randland post last battle

The super hatred of Aes Sedai was helped along by the shadow however.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

CainFortea posted:

The super hatred of Aes Sedai was helped along by the shadow however.

To be fair the Aes Sedai of that era did themselves no favors. (whether or not that was also helped along by the shadow, open question)

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Here's another. Might be done? Where's Loial?
https://twitter.com/TheWheelOfTime/status/1691836223386800405

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

I doubt there would be one for Loial. They seem to represent main character plotline pairings.

Loial tags along with Perrin and the sheinarans judging from the trailer and teasers.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Loial and a really nice thick book

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Ishy and suroth?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Whenever the book hasn’t mentioned Loial in a while, he’s just been in his room down the hall reading

Pocket Loial dimension

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

RC Cola posted:

Ishy and suroth?

Yeah, she's been confirmed. It's also in the alt text in the tweet.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Data Graham posted:

Whenever the book hasn’t mentioned Loial in a while, he’s just been in his room down the hall reading

Pocket Loial dimension

Whenever he's not on-page all the other characters should be asking "Where's Loial?"

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Mad Hamish posted:

Whenever he's not on-page all the other characters should be asking "Where's Loial?"

The unpublished chapters following Elder Haman, Covril, and Erith.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

No mirror world :ohdear: Natasha O'Keeffe is billed as "Selene, an innkeeper from Cairhien, with whom (Rand) has made a connection" in the press release from Prime Video.

https://press.amazonstudios.com/us/en/press-release/prime-video-releases-seven-new-character-posters-f

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Bleh, all the alternate dimensions are some of the best parts of the books.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Given the climax of season 1, as well as the accepted test part that seems like it will be in season 2, i am not at all surprised the mirror worlds got cut. They only have so much time to tell the story and they don't want to spend half the season on other timelines.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Invalid Validation posted:

yeah agreed

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

pik_d posted:

I mean, some scenes showing the Ogier during the Last Battle and Loial just straight up slaughtering Trollocs with all his Ogier friends should be pretty cool.

Though with the poster showing Aviendha and Perrin, I don't have high hopes for seeing Gaul. I hope they fit him in, he was a great supporting character in Perrin's story.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Invalid Validation posted:

I could see cutting the mirror world and keeping in the flickers. While the mirror world adds to the weirdness of the setting it could easily be skipped.

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I could see cutting the mirror world and keeping in the flickers. While the mirror world adds to the weirdness of the setting it could easily be skipped.

Agreed. If we don’t get a FLICKER FLICKER I WIN AGAIN LEWS THERIN I’ll be super bummed. The washed out alternate world can be cut.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

RembrandtQEinstein posted:

Agreed. If we don’t get a FLICKER FLICKER I WIN AGAIN LEWS THERIN I’ll be super bummed. The washed out alternate world can be cut.

It would sap a lot of enthusiasm that I have for the show, tbh. I love that flicker flicker sequence so much.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

It's pretty important to the ongoing repeating history theme too

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
The mirror world only exists to split Rand off from the hunt party and force him to step up as a leader. Given where he ended S1 it doesn't really serve any purpose.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Rarity posted:

The mirror world only exists to split Rand off from the hunt party and force him to step up as a leader. Given where he ended S1 it doesn't really serve any purpose.

Also so we hear the wolves call him Shadowkiller, but you can easily do that anywhere in the story. I guess it also starts Perrin on the path to accepting what he can do

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

The flicker flicker thing is very rad, but it's a small set piece that doesn't really come up again outside that book. They're already touched on alternate histories in the show.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Plus they already covered the most emotionally impactful flicker (Rand and Egwene settling down together) at the end of S1 so what else would you do with it?

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I really don't think losing the flicker scene is that big a deal

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Nihilarian posted:

I really don't think losing the flicker scene is that big a deal

But it's so cool

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

It sets a tone and ties into the endless cycle of existence and gives some interesting subtle background on the characters involved as well as showing that some of the characters involved made heinous decisions in their other lives, but not this one.

It's poignant and great and tbh that's why I expect it's on the cutting room floor for the series.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

We might see it as Falme, as a kind of extension of what we got at the end of season 1. I really liked it, but I guess I can live with it being cut.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Pleads posted:

It's poignant and great and tbh that's why I expect it's on the cutting room floor for the series.

:nallears:

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Pleads posted:

I cut again, viewers.

-Rafe

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

flicker flicker flicker is a very small part of the book, but each iteration would take a fair chunk of screen time to make any sense at all, because each one is basically an entire life. Spending an entire episode on it would probably fail to get the same impact as those few paragraphs. It is essentially unfilmable.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

pik_d posted:

Prob the most book resembling casting they've done so far.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Gnoman posted:

flicker flicker flicker is a very small part of the book, but each iteration would take a fair chunk of screen time to make any sense at all, because each one is basically an entire life. Spending an entire episode on it would probably fail to get the same impact as those few paragraphs. It is essentially unfilmable.

As long as they don't replace with plotlines made for the show, which I suspect is what's going to happen based on S1

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Flicker flicker would probably take a decent chunk of budget but it would be worth it. It's just so cool.

I do expect they'll cut it, I think they are pretty budget cautious. And the show has to be so streamlined due to the episodes being kept to 50-ish minutes and only 8 episodes per season (yes I know, sad warder etc etc but still).

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

El Grillo posted:

Flicker flicker would probably take a decent chunk of budget but it would be worth it. It's just so cool.

I do expect they'll cut it, I think they are pretty budget cautious. And the show has to be so streamlined due to the episodes being kept to 50-ish minutes and only 8 episodes per season (yes I know, sad warder etc etc but still).

They don't have to show the whole thing, do some background stuff showing glimpses of other scenes that can be all CGI, have everyone act really messed up by it. Maybe one shorter one just to show what's happening, and then the rest all background stuff, like explosions and burning towns, then a peaceful city, that kind of thing. We see Rand's flickers, but we don't see Mat's or the others, they just act freaked out by it so I think it would be possible to still get it, just not as big as it was in the books.

I think it's doable and I really like how it affected the characters.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Yeah I agree it would be doable budget-wise in theory, hell you can do a lot of stuff a lot cheaper than most people would think, even stuff like the scene in destroyed Caemlyn (that's flicker flicker right?)
If you have great cast it would be a brilliant challenge for them too, playing their characters suddenly years down the line/several seasons further along in the series, etc.

I don't really think the folks running the show are up to doing it right, but in a way I'd be pleasantly surprised if they were ambitious enough to give it a go.

I also kind of agree with others who say it's a sort of isolated incident that doesn't actually affect much plot-wise. So there is some sort of justification for cutting it.

El Grillo fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Aug 17, 2023

shen
Jan 22, 2006

I was inspired to re-read the series for the first time in forever when season 1 came out, obviously the show was imperfect but it was interesting how it was adapted and the choices they made in what to cut or emphasize or add. Similarly excited for s2, with the challenge of condensing 2 books into 8 episodes, especially since they can't just have a ballooning cast of characters. They really seem to be leaning into this angle with the marketing on twitter, trying to get everyone to guess who has been cast as which character, and what the character pairings mean for the plot changes, it's been fun thinking about it!

It's been a real turnoff reading the reaction from a lot of purist book fans, especially because I know if I was still an insular and sullen 15 year old, or let's face it even into my twenties, I probably would have had the same reaction to this supposed desecration of the source material. I just don't have the time or energy to get that upset about stuff like this anymore. I never would have done my re-read without the show, and this time I picked up on all the stuff I'd missed the first time around when I was only in it for the action scenes. I must have re-read The Shadow Rising more than any of the others, I was amazed how much was so familiar.

All that to say I will still pretend to grumble about the missing book scenes when talking about it with friends who came to the show first. I agree it would be pretty hard to do the flicker-flicker onscreen, but I'd still be satisfied with a quick montage of Rand dying in different settings even if it's not fully explained what's going on.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

shen posted:

All that to say I will still pretend to grumble about the missing book scenes when talking about it with friends who came to the show first. I agree it would be pretty hard to do the flicker-flicker onscreen, but I'd still be satisfied with a quick montage of Rand dying in different settings even if it's not fully explained what's going on.

I'm the same way, it really would give the other people with him a chance to show off how much it affected them, and it would actually be book accurate to only see the Rand bits (or just short snippets of it).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I don’t think it would be that hard. The books don’t actually confirm them to be different timelines or just dreams. I guess if you think your audience is dumb as gently caress then you just don’t do it. And they didn’t really do that great with the Ways so they probably shouldn’t do anything that stretches their wings visually.