Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

It's very funny to me that he could be working hours every day on the book or doing absolutely nothing and we'll likely never know which is true

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Dirac Fourier posted:

I don't think we're ever getting another ASOIAF book out of GRRM, but I still check for a status update about once a year. I found this timeline which is depressing:

2010: Martin says in a blog post that he already had some finished chapters of 'The Winds of Winter'
2011: Martin doesn't give a firm answer for when fans could expect the novel
2012: Martin says he thinks 'The Winds of Winter' will come out in 2014
2014: Martin hopes to finish 'The Winds of Winter' before the HBO show catches up with him
March 2015: Martin tells Access that he still has far to go on the novel
April 2015: Martin says he's doing whatever he can to clear his slate and work on the book
2016: Martin writes in a blog post that the novel isn't finished
2017: Martin tells a fan he hopes the book could be released by the end of the year
2018: Martin tells The Guardian that he has been 'struggling' with the book
March 2019: Martin says he doesn't know how HBO's 'Game of Thrones' will end because he's working on his novel
May 2019: Martin says he's working on multiple projects while also writing 'The Winds of Winter'
November 2019: Martin says he's prioritizing 'The Winds of Winter' over 'House of the Dragon' scripts
January 2020: Martin says he hadn't thought the TV show would pass his progress on the books
June 2020: Martin writes that he's still plugging away at the novel during the pandemic
November 2020: Martin says he's 'picking up steam again' on the book
February 2021: Martin says he needs to 'keep rolling'
March 2021: Martin once again confirms 'Winds' is on his docket
March 2022: Martin says it's 'wearisome' to constantly clarify that he's working on 'Winds of Winter'
April 2022: Martin says the novel is going to be long
May 2022: Martin says people are being 'vicious' over how late the book is
July 2022: Martin says he finds the book diverging more from the HBO show as he writes
December 2022: Martin mentions 'Winds of Winter' in an end of year post
July 2023: Martin says he's working 'almost every day' on the novel

Working hard thank you

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
Well, keep in mind in 2010 those Winds chapters he says he has finished are, more than likely, chapters that were cut from Dance. They're "finished" in the sense that they were written for book 5 but got moved to book 6.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Bright Bart posted:

You know her inner monologue doesn't sound drunk. But it could well be the inner monlogue of someone constantly under the influence. You have many alcoholics who drink all that to a BAC that would make others fall over themselves while still appearing to function. Doesn't mean their judgement isn't impaired.

Plus ethanol is a neurotoxin.

So maybe that's why we get 'Oh this guy will be our new admiral. He's called Waters so you know he'll be stellar. Hmm... that one other guy I hired just hired all his brothers? Naah that's not nepotism that's smart. Wait Admiral Waters just took our entire fleet and made himself a king? What do you mean he may not have been a real knight or even just a noble bastard from the Riverlands, but a Pentoshi conman? I'll have to get my new two Masters of Coin Sir Scamsalot and Lord Idyote to build a new fleet. I've learned my lesson: no more sailors as admirals. If they can't sail away they can't steal the fleet can they? Wow I'm smart. All this ruling makes me need some strong wine."

her pov thinks about how shes gaining weight from drinking so much wine lol. shes definitely a problem drinker

edit: actualyl she might think about how her servants are modifying her clothes to make her think shes getting fatter because shes also paranoid since joff died

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
She’s not gaining weight though.

There’s a Tyrell conspiracy among the washerwomen to shrink her clothes.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

oh ya its that. thats another bit of grrm not understanding what hes writing about because the actual dresses and stuff would likely never be washed only the underclothes that actually interact with your body. underwear was used to make it so you didnt have to wash your insanely expensive and dyed out clothes and lose the dye

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

Platystemon posted:

This reminds me of an :eng99: I committed when I first read Game of Thrones many, many years ago. Robert learns he's too fat for his armor and sends some lackey off to get a "breastplate stretcher" and I was baffled by this because I know such a thing couldn't possibly work.

Much later I realized he was deliberately sending the dude on a wild goose chase.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Dirac Fourier posted:

I don't think we're ever getting another ASOIAF book out of GRRM, but I still check for a status update about once a year. I found this timeline which is depressing:

2010: Martin says in a blog post that he already had some finished chapters of 'The Winds of Winter'
2011: Martin doesn't give a firm answer for when fans could expect the novel
2012: Martin says he thinks 'The Winds of Winter' will come out in 2014
2014: Martin hopes to finish 'The Winds of Winter' before the HBO show catches up with him
March 2015: Martin tells Access that he still has far to go on the novel
April 2015: Martin says he's doing whatever he can to clear his slate and work on the book
2016: Martin writes in a blog post that the novel isn't finished
2017: Martin tells a fan he hopes the book could be released by the end of the year
2018: Martin tells The Guardian that he has been 'struggling' with the book
March 2019: Martin says he doesn't know how HBO's 'Game of Thrones' will end because he's working on his novel
May 2019: Martin says he's working on multiple projects while also writing 'The Winds of Winter'
November 2019: Martin says he's prioritizing 'The Winds of Winter' over 'House of the Dragon' scripts
January 2020: Martin says he hadn't thought the TV show would pass his progress on the books
June 2020: Martin writes that he's still plugging away at the novel during the pandemic
November 2020: Martin says he's 'picking up steam again' on the book
February 2021: Martin says he needs to 'keep rolling'
March 2021: Martin once again confirms 'Winds' is on his docket
March 2022: Martin says it's 'wearisome' to constantly clarify that he's working on 'Winds of Winter'
April 2022: Martin says the novel is going to be long
May 2022: Martin says people are being 'vicious' over how late the book is
July 2022: Martin says he finds the book diverging more from the HBO show as he writes
December 2022: Martin mentions 'Winds of Winter' in an end of year post
July 2023: Martin says he's working 'almost every day' on the novel

Congratulations on having written more about Martin writing TWoW than Martin has written of TWoW.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

Kylaer posted:

This reminds me of an :eng99: I committed when I first read Game of Thrones many, many years ago. Robert learns he's too fat for his armor and sends some lackey off to get a "breastplate stretcher" and I was baffled by this because I know such a thing couldn't possibly work.

Much later I realized he was deliberately sending the dude on a wild goose chase.

it's done alot better in the show tbf, tone helps alot

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

nine-gear crow posted:

Working hard thank you

Maybe he should have just created more books to keep publishing, instead of hoarding all those pages for himself.

We could have had Winds of Late Autumn, Winds of Early Winter and Storms of Deep Winter by now. Then he'd already been writing A Very Late Winter Breeze by now, and by next year he'd have started work on Extremely Early, But Slightly Muddy Spring

but no, he knew better than all of us, and now he has over nine thousand pages and no book

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

It's only been 12 years give the man a break

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

He wrote and released the first four books in less time than it’s taken to write and release winds of winter.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you
A Storm of Swords is the last book that was unanimously liked, and was published 23 years ago. If he'd just rushed to the conclusion we wouldn't even have time to figure out the ending

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you

ruddiger posted:

He wrote and released the first four books in less time than it’s taken to write and release winds of winter.

He wrote and released the first three books in less time than it took to write and release A Feast for Crows

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
He should release both Winds and Spring at the same time.

I would be so trolled.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

He’s going to break it up and release winds of winter parts 1 and 2

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

winds o and f winter

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

ItohRespectArmy posted:

it's done alot better in the show tbf, tone helps alot

And if I wasn’t a long time fan of Mark Addy, you could totally convince me he was concocted in a jar in Yorkshire, the product of a decades long project to engineer the perfect actor to play Robert Baratheon.

Dude is perfectly cast and he delivers the absolute balls off every line.

I still hate that show but they nailed most of the initial cast.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

Xiahou Dun posted:

And if I wasn’t a long time fan of Mark Addy, you could totally convince me he was concocted in a jar in Yorkshire, the product of a decades long project to engineer the perfect actor to play Robert Baratheon.

rewarching the show fairly recently took alot of the shine off but i think the one thing most agree on is that the first season is really stunning, they pretty much nail everything

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Platystemon posted:

I would be so trolled.

To be fair, he is. Both books are coming out at the same time; never.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Xiahou Dun posted:

I remember when they recast The Mountain the first time and no one recognized him

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

bobjr posted:

I remember when they recast The Mountain the first time and no one recognized him

the first mountain guy left to go film the hobbit lol

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

ItohRespectArmy posted:

the first mountain guy left to go film the hobbit lol

To be fair, at the time bouncing on a show that hadn't premiered yet and seemed like a giant risky gamble that might not find an audience to go work for Peter Jackson on another Tolkien movie trilogy sounded like a smart career move. And then

Hey at least we got Hafthor Bjornsson out of it eventually.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

bobjr posted:

lol yeah, i didn't get that he was supposed to be the new mountain

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

the middle mountain was a pure "he's in one scene this year just get a tall guy" thing

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Season two Mountain was Ian Whyte, who is significantly taller than Hafþór Júlíus Björnsson (7′ 1″ to 6′ 9″), but Hafþór is like an entire man heavier.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

ItohRespectArmy posted:

rewarching the show fairly recently took alot of the shine off but i think the one thing most agree on is that the first season is really stunning, they pretty much nail everything

the play with her arse scene is sublime

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Elman posted:

the play with her arse scene is sublime

he didn't say that it was good, he said that they nail everything

Gambrinus
Mar 1, 2005
I remember Stephen King once saying he couldn't leave his desk until he'd written at least a thousand words every day, no matter how bad they were.

If GRRM could have done half of that he'd have finished years ago.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Platystemon posted:

She's so stupid, I love her so much.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Platystemon posted:

I would be so trolled.

Release Spring but not Winds and make the nerds go mad trying to figure out what happened.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
No. Release Winds, in a few more years. Then a year after that when someone asks how Spring is going GRRM needs to say "Oh I've got some initial ideas floating around. I really rushed the last book and it really took a toll on me. Going to take it slow with this one.".

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Aug 17, 2023

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Just copy the phrases "words are wind" and "nipples on a breastplate", write a couple descriptions of feasts and have someone break their fast on roast capon, and you're like 15% there.

Add that terrible Mercy chapter that's already written and you're basically done.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

bone emulator posted:

Just copy the phrases "words are wind" and "nipples on a breastplate", write a couple descriptions of feasts and have someone break their fast on roast capon, and you're like 15% there.

Add that terrible Mercy chapter that's already written and you're basically done.

No lemoncakes?!??!?!

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

No neeps? No snarks and grumkins? No sweet summer child? No asking where the whores go? No sapphires?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Mad Hamish posted:

No neeps? No snarks and grumkins? No sweet summer child? No asking where the whores go? No sapphires?

I'm a little disappointed they never said "snarks and grumpkins" on the TV show.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

They did in s1

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

nine-gear crow posted:

Hey at least we got Hafthor Bjornsson out of it eventually.

He was good, but he was in no way believable as the OLDER brother of the Hound.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

nine-gear crow posted:

I'm a little disappointed they never said "snarks and grumpkins" on the TV show.

Cersei says it when she's making fun of Tyrion(?) for believing in The Others

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vseslav.botkin
Feb 18, 2007
Professor
The thing that stood out about the first season on my rewatch is that the writing is (mostly) very good, but visually it's not that great. There's the occasional nice shot but more distracting camera movement and awkward cuts than you might think. You can tell they're still developing the style, and obviously don't have the massive budget of the later seasons.