Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012

No Wave posted:

The Kizaru interaction is totally different in this translation. It sounds like he's just trying to keep more of his marines safe.

It still comes off as him honoring Sentomaru enough to accept his challenge and face him personally, the high casualty rate mostly sounds like an excuse for Saturn (though it probably does happen to be true, which certainly helps his case)

Inadequately fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Aug 18, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

I'm really excited for this rematch. Kizaru is the original Strawhat killer. Maybe the Egghead incident is :bignews: shows up and leaks to the world an admiral + CP0 were taken down.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Hell I'm just pumped to watch Kizaru take actual damage for the first time ever, dude has been cheezing his Logia god-mode harder than Enel ever did and needs to get loving wrecked, don't hold back Oda

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

White Light posted:

Hell I'm just pumped to watch Kizaru take actual damage for the first time ever, dude has been cheezing his Logia god-mode harder than Enel ever did and needs to get loving wrecked, don't hold back Oda

I'm actually hoping it's a reverse Enel situation and while his fruit is stupidly powerful, he can just straight up kick rear end without it rather than having relied on it as a crutch.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Sub Harrison posted:

I'm really excited for this rematch. Kizaru is the original Strawhat killer. Maybe the Egghead incident is :bignews: shows up and leaks to the world an admiral + CP0 were taken down.

Akainu in Long ring long land wants a word, kind of.

GruntMountain
Jul 17, 2017

Brandfarlig posted:

Aokiji, you mean.

The way that Kizaru is going to get beaten here is that he's going to use Yata no Kagami to turn into a light beam, but Luffy is just going to catch him in a big jar like a firefly.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I forgot that York called the WG last issue, and Usopp hadn't hung up yet. So I was trying to figure out if it was just standard procedure when dealing with the Strawhats to give them a ring on the Den Den now. I mean, if you get lucky and Luffy answers he's going to give you a whole lot of info.

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010
Hype as hell for the moment when Luffy finally gets to answer the phone with "This is Monkey D. Luffy, King of the Pirates"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Julias posted:

Wild to think that we are just 2 weeks away from the live action version of One Piece coming out.

Speaking of the live action one piece:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-OOW3TCBRA

Immediately deciding Luffy spends a regular day stealing his own food on his own ship :hmmyes:

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Really cute that Sanji and Zoro’s actors lean into the rivalry thing at any opportunity

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

I mean, zoro is stronger, but it's a moot point because they are best friends

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Brandfarlig posted:

Yeah crap he's actually the third person to almost kill the Strawhats after Aokiji and Kuma. BUT he's the first to have no intention of sparing them! It's my most anticipated rematch since the time-skip. During the WB war he was kicking Luffy around taunting him that determination alone is useless if you're too weak to do it. Now 10+ years later Luffy's packing the goods too.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

bitmap posted:

I mean, zoro is stronger, but it's a moot point because they are best friends

i never got why people even get into this argument because zoro and sanji are also like different characters that bring different things. zoros just a cutthroat powerhouse with a non-nonsense attitude, but sanji is like quick, smart, empathetic, and can cook really well. its like, who cares? they both do amazing things.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Sanji is like a secret agent, Zoro is an 80s action star

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Zoro has 10 doriki more than Sanji, and Sanji is the best cook on the planet and only fights with his feet and smokes a cigarette the entire time.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Aug 18, 2023

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

GruntMountain posted:

Aokiji, you mean.

The way that Kizaru is going to get beaten here is that he's going to use Yata no Kagami to turn into a light beam, but Luffy is just going to catch him in a big jar like a firefly.

Dramatic reenactment:

:goatsecx:

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

No Wave posted:

Zoro has 10 doriki more than Sanji, and Sanji is the best cook on the planet and only fights with his feet and smokes a cigarette the entire time.

much to consider

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

anime was right posted:

i never got why people even get into this argument because zoro and sanji are also like different characters that bring different things. zoros just a cutthroat powerhouse with a non-nonsense attitude, but sanji is like quick, smart, empathetic, and can cook really well. its like, who cares? they both do amazing things.
Well, for one, they care quite a bit. They're rivals, so it's only natural to compare them.

I can only imagine the debate outside the context of the story is more a reference to their rivalry, rather than people seriously committed to one camp over the other. But there's a reason I don't read anything about One Piece outside of this thread.

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

The Zoro vs Sanji rivalry in the story mirrors the irl rivalry, and just like the characters, at the end of the day we all know Zoro is cooler love One Piece.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

when people say "i don't see why it matters" it means they like sanji more but don't want people to know

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

anime was right posted:

Deep down we all know the real answer anyway.

Nami's the strongest

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Ussop is a God, dunno how it's even a contest

Wellwinds
Mar 20, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

I don't imagine he would. It was not the government that attacked him.

Whether he's actually backstabbing them or not he's 100% going to end up forced to side with them given the elder has made it clear that CP0 is considered disposable to this mission and all the low level agents that got captured now have strawhat fever

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

The government's official policy which Lucci has previously personally enforced is that any government asset captured by pirates should kill themselves so as to not be a liability, he's already dead to them

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Ussop is a God, dunno how it's even a contest

its gonna rule when he fully unlocks conq haki

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Julias posted:

Wild to think that we are just 2 weeks away from the live action version of One Piece coming out.

Speaking of the live action one piece:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-OOW3TCBRA

It rules that they didn't bother playing coy about the fact that there is 30 years of One Piece lore to talk about so instead of being all "woahhhhh we don't know what happens after Arlong Park WINK WINK" they are talking about like Yamato and Franky and celestial dragons the full list of warlords and all this other stuff that is up to date for the manga

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Wellwinds posted:

Whether he's actually backstabbing them or not he's 100% going to end up forced to side with them given the elder has made it clear that CP0 is considered disposable to this mission and all the low level agents that got captured now have strawhat fever

Yeah He's absolutely trying his best to sabotage the Strawhats but he's going to be forced to fight alongside them again anyways. My guess is Saturn will decide that CP0 (and everyone else on the Island who's not York or Kizaru) has to die. Just because maybe they learned something about the void century. Or some variant of that.

Comedy option is if this happens because Vegapunk uses the island's speaker system to say something he learned about the void century, casually informing every marine on the island. That would probably put Saturn in a very awkward position.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Aug 18, 2023

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

the bitcoin of weed posted:

The government's official policy which Lucci has previously personally enforced is that any government asset captured by pirates should kill themselves so as to not be a liability, he's already dead to them

IIRC, that wasn't normal government policy so much as Lucci being especially extreme about that sort of thing.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Given that Luffy just immediately believes you if you say you're his friend now that seems unnecessary

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Now that he's a Yonko, Luffy's declaration of friendships to enemies he's forced to team up with have incredible repercussions. Next day's papers are all about how Luffy allied with a secret government branch to take down an admiral and one of the Celestial Dragon bigwigs.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Guy A. Person posted:

It rules that they didn't bother playing coy about the fact that there is 30 years of One Piece lore to talk about so instead of being all "woahhhhh we don't know what happens after Arlong Park WINK WINK" they are talking about like Yamato and Franky and celestial dragons the full list of warlords and all this other stuff that is up to date for the manga

It's kind of funny that the only two who are clearly up to date on the reading are Luffy and Zoro.

Edit: Originally quoted the wrong person

Gyges fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Aug 19, 2023

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Silver2195 posted:

IIRC, that wasn't normal government policy so much as Lucci being especially extreme about that sort of thing.

When this initially got revealed, it makes you think about how hosed up Lucci is, and he still is, but it makes the fact that he was still a kid and an orphan raised as a secret agent soldier by the navy raise a lot of questions about, you know, the Navy.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/onepiecenetflix/status/1692750763561242688?s=20

https://twitter.com/onepiecenetflix/status/1692752396420620655?s=20

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I wanna see the lovely(er) version oda sent the negative messages for

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

#releasetheshittycut

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I just want a script leak

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Might have just been script drafts

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I feel like Oda saying, in a polite way, that it sucks is all you need to not watch it. Or, to be generous, that it has some good stuff in it but is overall disappointing.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I think the idea is that these were things that Oda and Netflix were saying to each other during development of the series, to emphasize how much they were working together, and are not meant to be representative of what the final product is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

mabels big day posted:

I wanna see the lovely(er) version oda sent the negative messages for
20 years from now we will get a Behind The Music type doc that reveals Oda was chainsmoking and cussing out Netflix execs for trying to cast Chris Pratt as Luffy and give Sanji Air Jordans