Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baddog
May 12, 2001
Maybe not a good candidate for moonshot calls or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
You're saying it could ten times,?

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Subvisual Haze posted:

I see Fidelity is being glitchy again. At least I can view my account today, but trying to view some options info is giving the error message

"We're sorry. You've requested a feature that requires a personal account (brokerage, IRA, 529, etc.)."

My manager showed me his Schwab account was messed up today. He was up $620k on a holding of $30T. Yes, trillion.

I gave him poo poo for the terrible returns.

Jows
May 8, 2002

Baddog posted:

Maybe not a good candidate for moonshot calls or anything.

I think I've said this before in this thread, but I remember being tempted by Citi post GFC. Glad I held off.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

pmchem posted:

i mean, technically nobody is buying US Steel just yet. but yeah CLF or MT are the most likely winners

esmark was maybe getting financing under the table from elon, who knows

Elon Musk's jet causes a stir in Cleveland

quote:

The intrigue: Still, some have zeroed in on Cleveland-Cliff's $7.3 billion offer to buy Pittsburgh-based rival U.S. Steel as a potential reason for Musk to visit.

Between the lines: Musk may also want to get his hands on U.S. Steel's "X" stock symbol for his social network formerly known as Twitter.

Reality check: None of this is confirmed. It's just as likely Musk's jet needed fuel and Cleveland was the nearest stop.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

latinotwink1997 posted:

My manager showed me his Schwab account was messed up today. He was up $620k on a holding of $30T. Yes, trillion.

30T? I'm afraid the entire US national debt has been transferred to your manager in preparation for a scapegoat sacrifice.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

latinotwink1997 posted:

Should have told him to leverage himself up to the nutsack on 0dte calls on spxs

Oscar Wild fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Aug 18, 2023

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Oscar Wild posted:

Should have told him to leverage himself up to the nutsack on 0dte calls on spxs

Isn't there some theory that a sizeable enough purchase of calls on a particular ticker could cause the share price to increase when market makers have to buy shares to cover?

I'd swear that I read some articles, like this one:
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/09/04/softbank-reportedly-the-nasdaq-whale-that-bought-billions-in-options.html

That softbank had been behind the price increases of TSLA and some other tech stocks by buying up a large volume of options.

Pastrami
May 27, 2004
Fear the Lunch Meat
You can see this effect in intraday price action of ES. Dealer positioning flows, especially from SPX 0dte, have major effects on price action. Simply, dealers try to remain delta neutral. Selling you calls means they have to buy positive deltas, either in underlying or swaps, other options etc.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Femtosecond posted:

Can CLF buy X, retain all the actual steel company stuff, and sell just the stock sticker "X" to Elon or are stock tickers owned by the index and can only be given out by the index?

I thought it was up to the exchange. If X is bought out and delisted then the X symbol would be free and Musk could apply to the exchange to use it for one of his companies. There's probably more rules around it than that though, like I can't imagine the exchange would want people squatting on potentially popular symbols without having a company to list.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

4.28% yield 10 year t bonds

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Pastrami posted:

You can see this effect in intraday price action of ES. Dealer positioning flows, especially from SPX 0dte, have major effects on price action. Simply, dealers try to remain delta neutral. Selling you calls means they have to buy positive deltas, either in underlying or swaps, other options etc.

Not delta neutral, the kicker is remaining Gamma neutral.

Pastrami
May 27, 2004
Fear the Lunch Meat

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Not delta neutral, the kicker is remaining Gamma neutral.

And tell me, how does an option dealer, most commonly overwhelmingly being a net seller of options, remain gamma hedged?

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Pastrami posted:

And tell me, how does an option dealer, most commonly overwhelmingly being a net seller of options, remain gamma hedged?

by either selling or buying common shares in conjunction with the market, to stabilize. So as it drops they have to sell in a negative gamma environment as we are in right now. If you calc gamma exposure it is excessively negative right now. In positive Gamma, it is the opposite and acts as reversion.

https://www.investopedia.com/terms/g/gamma-hedging.asp

investopedia posted:

As the underlying stock rises and falls in value, an investor may buy or sell shares in the stock if they wish to keep the position neutral.

Pastrami
May 27, 2004
Fear the Lunch Meat
That is literally delta hedging. Gamma hedging would be neutralizing your gamma. By buying/selling underlying dealers are re-hedging to delta neutral as gamma/vanna/charm effects play out.

To gamma hedge you would need to buy or sell options to neutralize gamma exposure.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

https://twitter.com/nongaap/status/1693268398317150648

incentives drive outcomes

what a sketchy mgmt play if true

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

Sell covered call on TSLA yesterday, value of the call doubles overnight. My Costanza effect on selling covered calls is flawless.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Subvisual Haze posted:

Sell covered call on TSLA yesterday, value of the call doubles overnight. My Costanza effect on selling covered calls is flawless.

They gapped up pretty hard but now they have two big gaps below.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

Hadlock posted:

4.28% yield 10 year t bonds
There's a weird yield dip around 10y durations. 2y offering 5.06% and 20y 4.63%. The dip in yield around 10y is pretty unjustifiable when you can get better yield in either direction.

cirus
Apr 5, 2011
Goodbye AMC/APE :911:

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

cirus posted:

Goodbye AMC/APE :911:

Not yet! APE finally disappears Friday morning.

Although I suppose if you're talking about the wealth of those shareholders, yeah.

Jemak
Dec 27, 2003

Go to JAIL.
Go directly to JAIL.
Do not pass GO.
Do not collect :200bux:

Agronox posted:

Not yet! APE finally disappears Friday morning.

Although I suppose if you're talking about the wealth of those shareholders, yeah.

what, did the shorts close or something? :confused:

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Jemak posted:

what, did the shorts close or something? :confused:
APE being finally converted -> big share dilution.

The hubabloo was last discussed a page ago
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4018317&pagenumber=45&perpage=40#post533835014

cirus
Apr 5, 2011
10:1 reverse split prior to conversion ouch

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The hedgies will yet be trapped in the mother of all short squeezes in their short ladder attacks of synthetic shares [rocket ship emoji]

TreeOcto
Feb 23, 2023

If you had an extremely strong suspicion that nuclear stocks were going to pop in a short window where would you put your chips

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

TreeOcto posted:

If you had an extremely strong suspicion that nuclear stocks were going to pop in a short window where would you put your chips

URA, maybe? I think you'd have to be more specific as to what exactly you think is going to happen.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

TreeOcto posted:

I’ve got some in the ETF URNM as well as UUUU.

Artonos
Dec 3, 2018
CCJ is one of the biggest players. Kazataprom is the largest uranium producer in the world. I don't remember their over the counter ticker off the top of my head.

A lot of nuclear stocks have already come up quite a bit this summer. If you're just looking for a quick trade I'm not sure they will pop much more short term.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/08/28/china-evergrande-shares-plunge-as-trading-resumes-trade-after-17-months.html

Buy the dip? (3333.hk)

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Hadlock posted:

Buy the dip? (3333.hk)

Noooooooooo

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
I talked to people about this.

In the event of a market crash, what would be more likely? Buy US assets, or buy Chinese assets?

This is the reality of what market is considered more reliable.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Isn't Evergrande a Ponzi scheme? Like the whole reason they're declaring bankruptcy is more or less because new people stopped buying in and that lost them their main source of funding under more recent Chinese fiscal policy?

ARTPUP
Jun 7, 2013

Hadlock posted:

Buy the dip? (3333.hk)

Why look at garbage Chinese companies when there are plenty of made in USA ones available? Vinco Ventures (BBIG) now at the bargain price of .14/share! And it's now an OTC stock just like Berkshire Hathaway used to be! Shocking news - former CEO Ted Farnsworth has been arrested by the DOJ for fraud. Say whaaaatttt?

Well Hawaiian Electric (HE) has bounced back nicely. If you had bought when it fell to it's low of $9/$10 on Friday you'd have a nice gain of 30-40% now. It used to be a $40 stock with a dividend to boot... They are going to fight the lawsuits, as they should since it probably falls under act of god.

I've got American Costal (ACIC) on my watchlist now. Hurricane's coming. Stock might be on sale soon.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

notwithoutmyanus posted:

I talked to people about this.

In the event of a market crash, what would be more likely? Buy US assets, or buy Chinese assets?

This is the reality of what market is considered more reliable.

I bought a little $NEM, because people seem to flock to gold in a recession, and this has a decent dividend (which is coming up).

drk
Jan 16, 2005
drat, SNPS up 50% since I considered buying around $300.

time to add to my other questionably timed semi investments

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

That's a very green morning especially for the AI stuff. Stuff like NVDA TSLA and PLTR all surging ~5%. Reversion of the reversion?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
ARYC is paying off at long last :smuggo: