Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Multivac but all it does is serve up scammy advertisements. Also it still wants to commit suicide

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

gradenko_2000 posted:

Lol all the poo poo about "well, your phones don't really listen to you, it's just making inferences based on metadata" was so obviously a loving lie

Yeah phones are definitely spying waaay more than the sceptics like to admit. No amount of gaslighting is gonna convince me otherwise

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

So I finally got around to watching The Looming Tower because of this thread after reading the book years ago and lol all of the sex and personal drama added the wrinkle that no, I would not be prioritizing the work of the counterterrorism guy whose security clearance should be yanked or his field agent who assaults Yemeni officials.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

Frosted Flake posted:

So I finally got around to watching The Looming Tower because of this thread after reading the book years ago and lol all of the sex and personal drama added the wrinkle that no, I would not be prioritizing the work of the counterterrorism guy whose security clearance should be yanked or his field agent who assaults Yemeni officials.

what

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuCxlM0lYHc

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Yeah phones are definitely spying waaay more than the sceptics like to admit. No amount of gaslighting is gonna convince me otherwise

There's no way the NSA hasn't been listening to every phone as long as they've been around. The infinity transmitter dates back to the 70s or 80s. IT was method the US had to turn any connected landline into a listening device. They had a method they could ring any phone and have it answer without being picked up. they then have a line into the room to listen.

By the 00s we knew the FBI were using roaming bugs for cell phones. A similar technique where they could open a line to the phone and listen in on conversations near it.
I presume that's a major reasons manufacturers went to internal batteries that can't be removed. The only way to stop your phone from being accessed this way was to disconnect it's power through removing the battery.

It's my belief the NSA has vast server farms where they are processing and storing every conversation that takes place near a phone. Especially with the advancements in AI meaning you can process a lot more data. They could easily be creating profiles of everybody connected to a western phone network.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

When I say something spicy like "Bush did 9/11" or "Biden is a pedophile rapist" I always follow up with "yeah Echelon bitch you hear that? Or "put your five eyes on my nuts bitch" because I know my phone is listening.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Marenghi posted:

There's no way the NSA hasn't been listening to every phone as long as they've been around. The infinity transmitter dates back to the 70s or 80s. IT was method the US had to turn any connected landline into a listening device. They had a method they could ring any phone and have it answer without being picked up. they then have a line into the room to listen.

By the 00s we knew the FBI were using roaming bugs for cell phones. A similar technique where they could open a line to the phone and listen in on conversations near it.
I presume that's a major reasons manufacturers went to internal batteries that can't be removed. The only way to stop your phone from being accessed this way was to disconnect it's power through removing the battery.

It's my belief the NSA has vast server farms where they are processing and storing every conversation that takes place near a phone. Especially with the advancements in AI meaning you can process a lot more data. They could easily be creating profiles of everybody connected to a western phone network.

The amount of wings, floors and whole buildings that you have to lock your phone in a lined steel box before attending meetings in suggests that pretty much everyone in government knows this. That's recently expanded to include smartwatches too.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

I always figured that beyond various 3 letter agencies having backdoors built into phones that any foreign spy agency worth the name spends at least a small amount of money trying to compromise random phones in the DC area in the hopes of getting someone who might actually be privy to useful conversations.

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Marenghi posted:

AI isn't real

mark immune
Dec 14, 2019

put the teacher in the cope cage imo

my bony fealty posted:

put your five eyes on my nuts bitch

hell ya

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

paul_soccer12 posted:

AI isn't real

Neither is free speech, but we all go around acting like it is real and a bedrock of the society.

AI is mostly bullshit but it is useful because allows the elites in society hang on to the fantasy that when poo poo gets bad enough, they can retain their moral right to rule by outsourcing the decision of who get put onto cattle cars to machines.

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

paul_soccer12 posted:

AI isn't real

yeah but automated transcription has gotten a lot better

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

my bony fealty posted:

When I say something spicy like "Bush did 9/11" or "Biden is a pedophile rapist" I always follow up with "yeah Echelon bitch you hear that? Or "put your five eyes on my nuts bitch" because I know my phone is listening.

Whenever I get drunkenly thrown out of a bar, I look back at the bouncer and scream "gently caress you bitch! All my homies hate NATO!"

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

But have you considered whether the child murdered by the driver of that truck was riding an oversized bike?!?! Children riding oversized bikes are the scourge of our roadways!!

The Atomic Man-Boy posted:

AI is mostly bullshit but it is useful because allows the elites in society hang on to the fantasy that when poo poo gets bad enough, they can retain their moral right to rule by outsourcing the decision of who get put onto cattle cars to machines.

Is the fact that it's bunk and doesn't work supposed to act as the deterrent from them using it to do so?

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

paul_soccer12 posted:

AI isn't real

Yes they're actually recording data at a far greater rate than they can interpret things and are just assuming they'll figure out a solution somewhere down the line.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

paul_soccer12 posted:

AI isn't real
ai is real, material, and your comrade
https://twitter.com/Kanthan2030/status/1692476926068494652?s=20

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

isn't that just one of those Da Vinci surgery robots?

borgnar
Dec 30, 2018

paul_soccer12 posted:

AI isn't real

it isn't, but by no means will that stop them from using some janky bullshit to trawl their enormous archive of recorded conversations, to identify Threats that they make a big show of Neutralizing, if they decide it'd be beneficial to do that. all this poo poo is fake but it still gets used to kill people

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

borgnar posted:

it isn't, but by no means will that stop them from using some janky bullshit to trawl their enormous archive of recorded conversations, to identify Threats that they make a big show of Neutralizing, if they decide it'd be beneficial to do that. all this poo poo is fake but it still gets used to kill people

yeah but it also doesnt really matter if some kid gets drone striked because a janky bullshit AI decided to kill them or if a janky bullshit human system decided to kill them.

borgnar
Dec 30, 2018

Trabisnikof posted:

yeah but it also doesnt really matter if some kid gets drone striked because a janky bullshit AI decided to kill them or if a janky bullshit human system decided to kill them.

that's fair! my worry is these bullshit computer tools don't do what the people talking them up claim, but that won't stop the drone strike department at the pentagon (or the gently caress you up in your home department of the FBI, eventually, maybe) from using them to automate the process. if that happens there's no way they don't also start doing more aerial murders, because of potentially a lot more """legitimate""" targets and because it's easier to get through the bureaucratic little eichmann poo poo they have to do to make it """legitimate""" for the people doing it

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I remember the movie Eagle Eye, where an AI decides the entire American government is the greatest threat and should be murdered.

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost

MonsieurChoc posted:

I remember the movie Eagle Eye, where an AI decides the entire American government is the greatest threat and should be murdered.

the only time AI has been correct

Uranium Phoenix
Jun 20, 2007

Boom.

ScrubLeague posted:

the only time AI has been correct

I remember the movie The Matrix where an AI decides humanity shouldn't do things like 'blot out the sun to genocide its own creation' and puts them all in a computer simulation so they can all be mean to each other there instead

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

borgnar posted:

that's fair! my worry is these bullshit computer tools don't do what the people talking them up claim, but that won't stop the drone strike department at the pentagon (or the gently caress you up in your home department of the FBI, eventually, maybe) from using them to automate the process. if that happens there's no way they don't also start doing more aerial murders, because of potentially a lot more """legitimate""" targets and because it's easier to get through the bureaucratic little eichmann poo poo they have to do to make it """legitimate""" for the people doing it

i'm more concerned further down the ladder with the small police departments, businesses, schools, etc than with the more powerful security entities. because it is the powerful entities that understand the value of their violence and also have already completed their effective bureaucracy to green light whatever they want.

like its the AI deciding that your neighborhood doesn't deserve EMS care and local leaders saying "sorry but the AI knows best" that's the kind of thing that im not looking forward to.

this conversation reminded me of this article: https://foreignpolicy.com/2017/03/15/the-graveyard-of-empires-and-big-data/

quote:

The only tiki bar in eastern Afghanistan had an unusual payment program. A sign inside read simply, “If you supply data, you will get beer.” The idea was that anyone — or any foreigner, because Afghans were not allowed — could upload data on a one-terabyte hard drive kept at the bar, located in the Taj Mahal Guest House in Jalalabad. In exchange, they would get free beer courtesy of the Synergy Strike Force, the informal name of the American civilians who ran the establishment.

Patrons could contribute any sort of data — maps, PowerPoint slides, videos, or photographs. They could also copy data from the drive. The “Beer for Data” program, as the exchange was called, was about merging data from humanitarian workers, private security contractors, the military, and anyone else willing to contribute. The Synergy Strike Force was not a military unit, a government division, or even a private company; it was the self-chosen name of the odd assortment of Westerners who worked — or in some cases volunteered — on the development projects run out of the guest house.

The Synergy Strike Force’s Beer for Data exchange was a pure embodiment of the techno-utopian dream of free information and citizen empowerment that had emerged in recent years from the hacker community. Only no one would have guessed that this utopia was being created in the chaos of Afghanistan, let alone in Jalalabad, a city that had once been home to Osama bin Laden. Or even more unlikely, that the Synergy Strike Force would soon attract the attention of the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA).
The speeding incident, however, provided Lee with inspiration for the new office. He had recently learned about Trapster, a smartphone app that allows users to map and share information about speed traps using GPS. Trapster enabled a virtual army of tipsters to create a real-time map warning drivers of areas where the police may be lying in wait. Trapster finally provided Lee with an idea that he thought might interest the Pentagon chief. Instead of plotting speed traps, he imagined a Trapster-like application that could track potential bomb attacks in Afghanistan. Already, communities of people were collaborating online to track nuclear proliferation, spotting potential test sites in North Korea. Humanitarians were using crowdsourcing to monitor elections and respond to natural disasters. If crowdsourcing could plot speed traps and spot election fraud, perhaps it could be used in war zones.
The Network Challenge, as it was called, offered a $40,000 prize to the first team that could, on a specific day, identify the locations of the 10 red weather balloons placed across the United States. The idea was that teams would use social media to help locate the balloons. The contest would test the teams’ ability to leverage a network, figuring out how to motivate people to participate while weeding out possible fake sightings, and to do it quicker than other competitors. On Dec. 5, 2009, the day of the challenge, Lee’s biggest fear was that no team would identify all the balloons, undermining the point of the challenge. In the end, it took only nine hours for a team from MIT to win. They beat the competitors by using a sliding scale of financial incentives that rewarded not just those who spotted balloons, but those who recruited others who successfully spotted balloons. Alex “Sandy” Pentland, an MIT computer science professor who headed the winning team, called the task “trivial.”
What Lee eventually formulated was a data-mining program based on the latest predictive analysis work being done in the commercial sector, but using military data from Afghanistan. “For example, we were trying to understand if the price of potatoes at local markets was correlated with subsequent Taliban activity, insurgent activity, in the same way that Amazon might want to know if certain kinds of click behaviors on Amazon.com would correlate to higher sales of clothing versus handbags versus computers,” Lee said.
Dugan’s priority, however, was a new program based on Lee’s big data work, called Nexus 7, which would help predict insurgency in Afghanistan. In August, Dugan met with the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff and laid out DARPA’s plan for Afghanistan. The data-mining project, her briefing noted, would “sequester [a] team of the Nation’s leading researchers in large scale computation techniques and social science.” She called Nexus 7, a data-mining program named after a humanoid robot in the movie Blade Runner, “the potentially big win.”
The direct relationship between the NSA and DARPA was one of the hallmarks of Nexus 7, but it was also the most problematic, because working with data from the NSA required navigating a maze of legal and statutory requirements that often prevent sharing and aggregating data among government agencies. As for why DARPA wanted the NSA data, L. Neale Cosby, a retired Army officer who consulted on the program, invoked the bank robber Willie Sutton: “Why rob a bank? Because that’s where the money is.” The NSA was the bank; it had all the data.
According to Dugan, Nexus 7 started making its “first discoveries”— or meaningful predictions — just 82 days into the operation. But the program soon met resistance. Gen. Stanley McChrystal, the head of the International Security Assistance Force in Afghanistan when Nexus 7 started, was interested in the data-driven work promoted by DARPA. But in 2010 he was forced to resign after a Rolling Stone magazine profile depicted him and his staff as mocking senior White House leaders. Gen. David Petraeus returned to Afghanistan to take over, but he was not enthusiastic about Nexus 7. A disastrous meeting between Petraeus and Dugan in Afghanistan almost brought it to a halt. DARPA’s proposal for algorithms did not sit well with a general who believed he wrote the book, metaphorically and literally, on counterinsurgency.
By late 2010, DARPA was touting Nexus 7’s successes within the Pentagon, but it was not clear what, if anything, it had accomplished. As members of the team worked on a base crunching numbers from military and intelligence data feeds, another team of contractors, the Synergy Strike Force, was working in the provinces of Afghanistan, swapping beer for data and using crowdsourcing techniques honed in the red balloon hunt.
Soon, DARPA was sponsoring miniversions of the Network Challenge in Afghanistan. Under More Eyes, members of the Synergy Strike Force fanned out over Afghanistan in 2011, handing out cell phones to participants in contests to map out areas in the provinces of Nangarhar and Bamiyan. Afghan participants, often drawn from the humanitarian and development communities, were provided with GPS-enabled phones and instructed to mark the location of buildings and streets. As with the red balloon contest, the experiments often had an economic incentive: Winning teams got to keep their cell phones. Participants were not told that More Eyes was intended to provide the military with intelligence, and DARPA never publicly announced the program.
In the end, however, the program fell short of its hopes to demonstrate crowdsourcing in Afghanistan. According to the white paper by DARPA’s Paterson, a series of experiments showed that More Eyes overestimated the ability of Afghans to access the internet and the reach of mobile phone services in Afghanistan. “The More Eyes Team quickly learned that only 4 percent of the population had access and skills necessary to access and exploit the Internet,” he wrote. “Rural populations had even less.” The DARPA contract, which ran out toward the end of 2011, was not renewed.

The Synergy Strike Force and its tiki bar “oasis” also soon came to an end. Violence in Jalalabad grew steadily worse in 2010 and 2011. Afghans who had worked and socialized with the foreigners at the Taj received death threats, and the insurgency that Western visitors to the bar were trying to forestall enveloped the establishment. On Aug. 11, 2012, two men on motorcycles intercepted a car driven by Mehrab Saraj, the manager of the Taj and a friend to many who had worked on More Eyes. Saraj, who had survived the Soviet invasion, Taliban rule, and the American invasion, was shot in the chest and killed.
DARPA never publicly discussed More Eyes. Although the Pentagon later touted Nexus 7 as a success, there is no evidence that it had any useful impact on operations. “There are no models, and there are no algorithms,” one anonymous official told Wired, griping about the program’s deployment to Afghanistan. A more sanguine assessment was published in the Wall Street Journal, which quoted an unnamed former official claiming that Nexus 7’s predictions about attacks in Afghanistan were accurate between 60 and 70 percent of the time. “It’s the ultimate correlation tool,” the official told the newspaper. “It is literally being able to predict the future.” Neither statement added substance to the debate. However, one thing was clear: Nexus 7 did not change the course of the war.

borgnar
Dec 30, 2018

Trabisnikof posted:

i'm more concerned further down the ladder with the small police departments, businesses, schools, etc than with the more powerful security entities. because it is the powerful entities that understand the value of their violence and also have already completed their effective bureaucracy to green light whatever they want.

like its the AI deciding that your neighborhood doesn't deserve EMS care and local leaders saying "sorry but the AI knows best" that's the kind of thing that im not looking forward to.

this is a very good point, i suppose with this type of poo poo the big organizations are mainly a bellwether for what we can expect to see on the small domestic scale

veepfake
Oct 21, 2005

if its aim is to accelerate analytical methods that have already been in use then sounds like it will give us nothing but the same good and accurate intelligence it always has but faster and w fewer eyes to determine bad/good data, and so therefore more gooder :patriot:

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

borgnar posted:

US intelligence has always been about supporting their outlooks and backing up their crimes against humanity.

It used to be that wearing the Casio F-91W was a sign of being an al-qaeda member because it's digital timer was used as the timer in improvised bombs that al-qaeda members used. The fact it's a cheap, watch that's popular in the third world didn't even figure into their intelligence. It's one of the most sold watches in the world but just wearing it and being arab was enough to get one way trip to Guantanamo Bay.

veepfake
Oct 21, 2005

Marenghi posted:

US intelligence has always been about supporting their outlooks and backing up their crimes against humanity.

It used to be that wearing the Casio F-91W was a sign of being an al-qaeda member because it's digital timer was used as the timer in improvised bombs that al-qaeda members used. The fact it's a cheap, watch that's popular in the third world didn't even figure into their intelligence. It's one of the most sold watches in the world but just wearing it and being arab was enough to get one way trip to Guantanamo Bay.

oh yeah. i forget the goal of intelligence isn't necessarily intelligence. then that algorithm would be more gooder

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

A more prescient film to look into was "The Seige" starring Denzel Washington and Bruce Willis where the plot is, per the movie's IMDB page, "The secret U.S. abduction of a suspected terrorist leads to a wave of terrorist attacks in New York City, which leads to the declaration of martial-law."

For a film made in 1998 it wasn't that far off, kinda spooky that we were making movies like this pre-9/11. Great performances, by the way, everyone should see it.

And as a nice double feature, show the 1999 paranoid thriller "Arlington Rd" where Jeff Bridges plays a college professor whose FBI agent wife was killed in a Ruby Ridge style massacre and whose neighbor might be a domestic terrorist.

mark immune
Dec 14, 2019

put the teacher in the cope cage imo

Lawrence wright is as spooked up as it gets

I read this one a decade ago before I got epstine pilled and lol. lmao. “Remembering Satan: A Tragic Case of Recovered Memory.”

mark immune has issued a correction as of 20:02 on Aug 20, 2023

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

mark immune posted:

Lawrence wright is as spooked up as it gets

I read this one a decade ago before I got epstine pilled and lol. lmao. “Remembering Satan: A Tragic Case of Recovered Memory.”

same and now that I know the truth it is really obvious that The Looming Tower was Wright running cover for the deepstate, planting the classic "well gee golly it was just incompetence, oops!" narrative you see all over parapolitical events.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

my bony fealty posted:

same and now that I know the truth it is really obvious that The Looming Tower was Wright running cover for the deepstate, planting the classic "well gee golly it was just incompetence, oops!" narrative you see all over parapolitical events.

And movies

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Peter Dale Scott publishes The Road to 9/11 in 2003

Lawrence Wright publishes The Looming Tower: Al-Qaeda and the Road to 9/11 in 2006

probably just a coincidence that subtitle was chosen

E wait nm PDS's book came out in 2007 apparently for some reason I thought it was 2003. whatever its still all true

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

The problem with the Looming Tower is that it explains that the Hamburg Cell was under surveillance, that the summit in Kuala Lumpur was known about, that a Saudi official met with the hijackers and gave them cash etc. and that these were not passed along to the FBI or acted on by the CIA, but other than vaguely defined incompetence doesn’t explain why. What was the purpose of Alec Station? If failing to act or pass along information was an example of incompetence, surely there is a countervailing example of competence to point to as the “norm”?

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

hj tech is gonna be nutty real soon

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

holy poo poo

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

ok but can it do surgery on a grape?

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Schmoe Cwead posted:

ok but can it do surgery on a grape?

a decade ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpPofyZbvDw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

this kills the joke