Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Televisio Frankus
Jun 8, 2010

And there's the Astaroth Rinascimento done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Napoleon Nelson posted:

Looks like all the Doan's island HGs have waterslides, as do the most recent couple P-Bandai Origin HGs. Most all the other recent HGs seem to use stickers (both standard release and P-Bandai (Wing, G, UC, etc))

The Doan's guncannon is just stickers not slides

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

kirbysuperstar posted:

Doan's Guncannon is also retail, not P-Bandai.

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

kirbysuperstar posted:

Good catch. Should've said the P-Bandai Doan's Island releases.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

chiasaur11 posted:

Doan's Guncannon is also retail, not P-Bandai.

I think I missed that bit of the conversation lol

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

TaurusOxford posted:

The build is great. The kit has a ton of moving parts so articulation and poseability are virtually unhinderd despite its bulk. Also if you're gonna get it then do so now, since only the first batch releases will come with the cape, which adds SO MUCH to the final look.

Dang, missing out on that cape hurts :( it looks really good though! I really want it.

Prof. Banks
Apr 22, 2015

Computer lab day! Time to spend 45 minutes trying to load pokemon.com!

Mk. II completed.

Given that I've mostly only seen the older shows, I end up mostly getting older kits. So this revive kit (#193) is much newer, and Jesus Christ is the jump in detail, complexity, and looks incredible.

So naturally it's time to dive back down to one of the first numbered HGs (#12) and build an opponent for the Mk. II, a warmed-over Zaku, the Hi-Zack.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Nuebot posted:

Dang, missing out on that cape hurts :( it looks really good though! I really want it.

https://gundamit.com/coming-soon-hemoxian-nzs-05-3-thor-non-zero-series-mecha-model-kit_p1562.html

You can still get it here with the cape for a good price.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Holy crap that inner frame looks amazing.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

I just spent sixty dollars on a model kit. I'll just have to hope that it reprints with the cape or is still selling with the cape in the future.

Tangentially related but the local drugstore now sells gunpla so I have an HG barbatos.

Tergaso
Mar 4, 2007

My God! Wooden eels! Surface! Surface!
MG Gouf Custom done. A fairly good build for an older MG. Especially when compared to the EZ8 which felt limp and underwhelming. I'm happy that this seems to be a popular MS, almost everywhere I've gone that sells Gunpla has the HG kit.

That Gatling Shield is still as cool to me as it was back when I first saw the 08th MS Team.

An interesting thing about this kit is that all the standard decals are stickers rather than the usual dry transfer/sticker mix. They don't look as good, but I appreciate how much easier they are to apply.

Next in my queue is the HG Gyan, or the GM Moroccan Front, or the Advance of Zeta Barzam (captured colors). It looks like Hurricane Hillary isn't Pokémon Going to hit my part of Los Angeles too hard. But just in case I lose power some gunpla might be on the docket for the day.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

wdarkk posted:

This had a few annoying stickers but overall was pretty fun, lots of parts for an addon kit, the combined backpack is stupidly huge.

Addon part 1

Addon part 2

Combined into a single addon (albeit not using the recolored leg thrusters).

Continuing the G-Unit streak, HG Aesculapius is up next.

Aesculapius complete!

It's a nice-looking kit, but the head LOVES popping off. So does the Geminass so I guess this is just a thing with anything based on it.

Back to G-Witch for a HG Beguir Pente.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Chilling out with some smaller kits before heading into my Big Box Zone and MGSD Freedom is a cute little guy. I'm not a huge fan of the Freedom but wanted to see what the line was like and now I'm really excited for the MGSD Barbatos next year.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!

Asteroid Alert posted:

Next up: MGSD MF-X10A Freedom Gundam.

Might be building this for a longer while. Trying to avoid being burnt out since cranking out kits is surprisingly fast, especially HG's.

Went with a straight snap build with no extras. This was a really fun kit to build, lot's of nice engineering choices.

Next up: Not a Zaku.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Asteroid Alert posted:

Always lovely to see the Gouf.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

6: Lfrith Ur: I had thought this was going to be at least 50% the same kit as the Thorn but I guess I'm just stupid; I think tall they have in common is the back weapon. Anyway I'm pretty sure this is my favorite Backlogust kit so far, just in terms of final product. I could see myself getting another one of these to kitbash with.

Well I'm not starting this today but it's the last kit in my backlog.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Asteroid Alert posted:

WHAT

I just finished the psycho zaku guns they turned out great. next is the big backpack with the arms which I've been looking forward to working on

Botman
Mar 3, 2006
DASH DASH DASH!!!!
I'm finally getting around to my MG Hyaku Shiki after at least half a year of only having built the head and torso. Quick question: is it better to apply dry transfer, or waterslide decals first?

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Backlogust Week 3

mllaneza posted:

Lfrith Ur done, again, RIP a real maniac.

In the whole, that's a really good kit. The caveat is, a lot of parts have a beveled edge that makes it harder than necessary to get clean cuts, and even with a lot of time and glass files I couldn't completely clean up the nib marks.

And I'm throwing down for another HG, the Pharact:

1 point for the Ur, Pharact logged.

wdarkk posted:

Nice little kit, I enjoyed it. A couple vents that were stickers that didn't feel like they should be.

I'll take a bit of time to deal with life stuff, then pick up the next kit.

1 more point.

Queadlunn posted:

Oh, don't log me! I'm just messing around with kits, not backlog stuff. Sorry!

No worries, I’d rather err on the side of too inclusive than exclusive.

I’m pretty sure I’ve said this before, but you’re rocking an all-timer username/av.

Tergaso posted:

Let me tell you, I'm not believing a sign of Zeta right now. The individual pieces seemed great, but once I put the Zeta together a good number of issues appeared. Joints feel weak, there's some oddities with mobility in the shoulders, and the compromises to make this a transforming suit were obvious.

Not much fancy posing here, this thing felt like it was about to do the splits and fall apart at the same time. I guess I'm glad to have a Zeta Gundam on my shelf.

Next up, in the vein of "Gunpla I wished I had when I was a kid but could never find in stores."

I really miss the cardboard insert covers these old MG kits have, I feel like they added to the anticipation of the experience.

IIRC your Zeta was the partial one, so that's half a point. Correct me if I'm mistaken. MG Gouf logged, HG Zudah logged.

Gripweed posted:

I haven't finished the other model yet but I have hobby ADHD so I want to work on this thing for awhile before switching back

Logged. Look on the bright side, at least it’s not the new Chaos Knights.

wdarkk posted:

Starting Assault Booster & High Mobility Unit for Gundam Geminass. This is pretty hefty for an addon kit, it's got five runners and a longer instruction manual than the Zogok.

I think I’ll call this a full HG equivalency. Logged.

Asteroid Alert posted:

Continuing with the Kamen Riders for Backlogust. This time Shin Kamen Rider

Logged.

El Burbo posted:

Finished. First time buildings revive rx-78-2, plus this version has some extra bits here and there. Though the crotch V annoyed me as it does with many of these older HGs, especially since the entry grade does it just fine. Painted it in, maybe a bit crusty.

Next, Daryl bald

1 point for the HG Grandpa, Daryl logged.

Asteroid Alert posted:

Cranked it out quite quick. The belt stickers were the worst part, as they kept on sliding off constantly. Otherwise, an OK kit. Compared to Blade, this was an inferior building experience.

Next up: MGSD MF-X10A Freedom Gundam.

Might be building this for a longer while. Trying to avoid being burnt out since cranking out kits is surprisingly fast, especially HG's.

1 point, I think I'm going to say 1.5 possible points for the MGSD? They're definitely pretty complex, but there's just less of 'em than an RG or an MG.

Diet Poison posted:

#5: HGIBO Hajiroboshi: A lot of color correcting stickers; I didn't use em all even but uh, there isn't one for the panel under its chin? On all the pictures it's black and despite there being a sticker for the little black piece on the crotchplate and the black pieces on the shield and ankle pieces, there isn't one for the chest? This kit really makes me wish I had a paint setup or even some markers but IMO 9 times out of 10 panel lining doesn't look good so I don't have any, but there's a TON of little sculpted notches on this kit that would look ten times better if they were black.

Backlogust Kit 6 for me will finally be the Lfrith Ur. I wasn't sure I was gonna get my 7-kit backlog done this month but now I'm thinking I'll have to go out and buy another.

1 point for the HG, Ur logged.

Tergaso posted:

HG Zudah done, this was one of the more interesting HG kits I've built.

Overall, this was a very nice build and a very cool looking MS.

1 point.

Moai Ou posted:

Three more done! I love everything about the Alus Core Gundam's design. I have a soft spot for faceless robots.

And now I'll be working on two more at the same time.

RG 00 Qant Trans-Am Clear

And painting up another 40-year old Kabaya Gum Transformers kit. the gum tastes like a basement

A respectable three points, plus the potential for quite a bit of credit from painting a tiny kit.

wdarkk posted:

This had a few annoying stickers but overall was pretty fun, lots of parts for an addon kit, the combined backpack is stupidly huge.

Continuing the G-Unit streak, HG Aesculapius is up next.

1 point, HG Asculapius logged.

Televisio Frankus posted:

I built my beautiful daughter finally.

Televisio Frankus posted:

And there's the Astaroth Rinascimento done.

Are these officially backlogust entries? If so, please put timestamps in anything else you're doing for the contest.

chrome line posted:

Now for the RG Crossbone

2 points, plus Crossbone logged.

TaurusOxford posted:

Thor is complete.

Two points.

Mr E posted:

Finished my Eva-01, pretty good build tho the top portion of the jaw piece broke and I had to glue it together so the mouth doesn't completely close, oh well. First time using Mr. Hobby Aqueous paint and I like it pretty well now that I've figured out how to thin and such. Used water slide decals on the robot and stickers on the platform.

Extremely sick. Full credit, so 4 points.

How was it as a painting task?

Prof. Banks posted:

Mk. II completed.

Given that I've mostly only seen the older shows, I end up mostly getting older kits. So this revive kit (#193) is much newer, and Jesus Christ is the jump in detail, complexity, and looks incredible.

So naturally it's time to dive back down to one of the first numbered HGs (#12) and build an opponent for the Mk. II, a warmed-over Zaku, the Hi-Zack.

1 point, HG Hi-Zack logged.

Tergaso posted:

MG Gouf Custom done. A fairly good build for an older MG. Especially when compared to the EZ8 which felt limp and underwhelming. I'm happy that this seems to be a popular MS, almost everywhere I've gone that sells Gunpla has the HG kit.

That Gatling Shield is still as cool to me as it was back when I first saw the 08th MS Team.

An interesting thing about this kit is that all the standard decals are stickers rather than the usual dry transfer/sticker mix. They don't look as good, but I appreciate how much easier they are to apply.

Next in my queue is the HG Gyan, or the GM Moroccan Front, or the Advance of Zeta Barzam (captured colors). It looks like Hurricane Hillary isn't Pokémon Going to hit my part of Los Angeles too hard. But just in case I lose power some gunpla might be on the docket for the day.

2 points for an MG, three HGs logged.

wdarkk posted:

Aesculapius complete!

It's a nice-looking kit, but the head LOVES popping off. So does the Geminass so I guess this is just a thing with anything based on it.

1 point for your guillotine-positive HG, HG Beguir logged.

Asteroid Alert posted:

Went with a straight snap build with no extras. This was a really fun kit to build, lot's of nice engineering choices.

And there's that 1.5. HG Gouf logged, which I think might be the single most popular suit this month.

Diet Poison posted:

6: Lfrith Ur: I had thought this was going to be at least 50% the same kit as the Thorn but I guess I'm just stupid; I think tall they have in common is the back weapon. Anyway I'm pretty sure this is my favorite Backlogust kit so far, just in terms of final product. I could see myself getting another one of these to kitbash with.

Well I'm not starting this today but it's the last kit in my backlog.

1 point, and Lfrith Ur is probably up there too. If I had more time I think I'd probably run the stat post.

This should be the spreadsheet I’m using. Please both check the results and double-check your points and attempts to make sure I haven’t hosed something up.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Botman posted:

I'm finally getting around to my MG Hyaku Shiki after at least half a year of only having built the head and torso. Quick question: is it better to apply dry transfer, or waterslide decals first?

Order would only matter if you're varnishing prior to putting either set of decals down. In general, it's probably a good idea to do gloss, decals, topcoat, but if you're going commando, just put 'em on there.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

grassy gnoll posted:

How was it as a painting task?

It wasn't too bad tho it took a while just because there were so many parts and I ran out of space. I couldn't get a good orange with their ratios so I had to figure that out on my own and I ended up ordering the wrong field gray so I had to make my own color for the platform. Otherwise just a few touchups were needed and I learned some things about painting snap together parts to make it easier next time. Will probably start another kit this month but doubt I'll finish it with Armored Core 6 coming out.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Now that I finished BG3, I'm back to working on the Delta Plus. Sorry Gustav Karl, sorry Backlogust, I need to get this thing off my bench before I start something new.

Everything is still so fiddly, but as someone who has only done HGs before, the articulation on the hands is kinda neat. Thumb and forefinger are individually articulated from the other three fingers. The shoulder armor had some unfortunate gate locations that didn't come out great, but it's going to get a paint job anyway. I should be able to finish everything but the wing binders, weapons, and shield tonight.

Botman
Mar 3, 2006
DASH DASH DASH!!!!

grassy gnoll posted:

Order would only matter if you're varnishing prior to putting either set of decals down. In general, it's probably a good idea to do gloss, decals, topcoat, but if you're going commando, just put 'em on there.

Nah, none of that stuff. I'm going with dry transfer first. I figure the tape would be more of a problem for the wet decals than the liquid would be for the dry.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Diet Poison posted:

The Lfrith Ur was a really fun build of a very well-designed kit. That's one of my very favorite HG kits. All of the WtM HGs have been good builds with interesting engineering. Any who's gotten a little ho-hum about UC kits should check these out, their engineering is noticeably different from the UC kits we all cut our teeth on.

I just finished the build on the Pharact itself. I still need to do the weapons, an action base, and the panel lining. Oh, and find the nail polish because the front part of the feet will not loving stay in. It's one of the more complex HGs; you do the full suit build, and then there's 5 major components for the backpack. It's gonna look great on a stand.

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022

chrome line posted:

Now for the RG Crossbone

The Crossbone is a lot of fun, and the cloak together with the weapons is a great design

Next up, the MG F91! This is the second to last kit in my backlog, and given my current employment status it's almost certainly the second to last kit I'll be working on this month

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

chrome line posted:

The Crossbone is a lot of fun, and the cloak together with the weapons is a great design

Next up, the MG F91! This is the second to last kit in my backlog, and given my current employment status it's almost certainly the second to last kit I'll be working on this month

It's a good one!

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Assembled. Once I get this table into my workroom instead of my living room, I can paint it. He's gotta do the Michael Jackson lean a little bit because those ankles are loving weak.

Prof. Banks
Apr 22, 2015

Computer lab day! Time to spend 45 minutes trying to load pokemon.com!

Souped up Zaku is finished. I'm a slow builder, but it was the fastest I've ever assembled a HG kit, clocking in at about two hours. The Gundam Mk II was probably around triple that.

Now for the original souped up Zaku and my first RG.

This thing has goddamn springs??? :dafuq:

Prof. Banks fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Aug 21, 2023

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Prof. Banks posted:

Souped up Zaku is finished. I'm a slow builder, but it was the fastest I've ever assembled a HG kit, clocking in at about two hours. The Gundam Mk II was probably around triple that.

Now for the original should up Zaku and my first RG.

I mean, I knew Zeon were space Nazis, but is the official language of Zeon German? I thought the "sieg Zeon" poo poo was for flair, but I guess they also think using Achtung is better than Warning.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Warmachine posted:

I mean, I knew Zeon were space Nazis, but is the official language of Zeon German? I thought the "sieg Zeon" poo poo was for flair, but I guess they also think using Achtung is better than Warning.

It depends on who's behind the wheel of each particular product but yeah Zeon leans from somewhere between ~lol space nazis~ to the actual factual Nazis but in space.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

RillAkBea posted:

It depends on who's behind the wheel of each particular product but yeah Zeon leans from somewhere between ~lol space nazis~ to the actual factual Nazis but in space.

Lookin' at you, IGLOO.

Tergaso
Mar 4, 2007

My God! Wooden eels! Surface! Surface!
The HG Gyan is done, this is one of the fastest HGs I've built at around an hour and fifteen minutes. It's a very silly design, probably my vote for the silliest outside of the aquatic Zeon suits. Why does the knightly fencing robot have mines?

Not much to show off, but I am happy with the way it came out.

The nicest feature is that there is an alternate hand for the right arm that has an additional hinge allowing the Gyan to hold its sword in a fencing stance.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Tergaso posted:

Why does the knightly fencing robot have mines?

I'm going to assume this isn't rhetorical and say that it's because the designer and pilot was a real piece of poo poo and neither knightly nor a fencer. Though he did ape the aesthetic.

He's absolutely the kind of jackbooted rear end in a top hat who'd make a fencer bot then cram it full of mines.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Prof. Banks posted:

Now for the original souped up Zaku and my first RG.

dont do it man

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
With the RG Zaku(s) make 100% sure you have got the right beads (there are two kinds) on the springs in the right order because once you've capped it off you will twist and deform the spring if you need to pull them off to try again. Other than that it's a great kit.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Pierson posted:

With the RG Zaku(s) make 100% sure you have got the right beads (there are two kinds) on the springs in the right order because once you've capped it off you will twist and deform the spring if you need to pull them off to try again. Other than that it's a great kit.

It's better than RG #1.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

wdarkk posted:

Aesculapius complete!

G-Witch kits build fast once again. I think I like the Pente more than the Michaelis, now I just need the Prologue one to get all three to compare. It's currently somewhere in shipping for me.

Another twin set coming up, HG F91 Vital Unit One and Two.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I finally got around completing this in August, so technically got one out of the backlog.

Cerebulon
Mar 29, 2010

Destroyer of Worlds*
(*No worlds were harmed in the making of this title.)

Well drat, if I'd know there was a running tally I'd have taken proof of the HG Zaku II FZ (The War in the Pocket kind) that seems kind of hard to get ahold of but miraculously ended up at a charity shop, and FM Aerial I already did this month.
But failing that I'm halfway through a MG Titans Gundam Mk-II I've been working on slowly this week, if it's believable I hadn't had this legless in a box for a month:

After this I've got an RG Sazabi which seems like it's going to be absurd. I only got into this stuff at the end of June and already have a growing stack of beloved tiny giant robots. It's far too early for me to be turning my nose up at the 5,000 perfectly decent HGs that exist and I'm glad I did a couple before being totally spoiled on MGs and RGs and getting crotchety about the lack of new ones for the series I care about...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Cerebulon posted:

Well drat, if I'd know there was a running tally I'd have taken proof of the HG Zaku II FZ (The War in the Pocket kind) that seems kind of hard to get ahold of but miraculously ended up at a charity shop, and FM Aerial I already did this month.
But failing that I'm halfway through a MG Titans Gundam Mk-II I've been working on slowly this week, if it's believable I hadn't had this legless in a box for a month:

After this I've got an RG Sazabi which seems like it's going to be absurd. I only got into this stuff at the end of June and already have a growing stack of beloved tiny giant robots. It's far too early for me to be turning my nose up at the 5,000 perfectly decent HGs that exist and I'm glad I did a couple before being totally spoiled on MGs and RGs and getting crotchety about the lack of new ones for the series I care about...

Legless in a box for a month is why I didn't submit my Delta. Poor bastard was a torso and the inner frame of the lower legs for a month and a half before I got off my butt and finished the rest in one sitting last night. Which may actually be the fastest I've actually built a kit. I had to backtrack because I missed two toe caps and the detail part of the inner frame that hides the poly caps at the hip joint.

As a first completed MG, I'm actually kinda impressed by how well separated things are. Not just color separation, but how the armor is a bunch of individual pieces that come together to form the whole in such a way that it'll be extremely easy to remove the armor for painting and detailing, compared to an HG where working on the leg means disassembling the whole leg.

edit: Well, except for the chest. The Delta Plus chest is still a horror of hinges and I'm terrified of what it's going to be like to work on that.

Warmachine fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Aug 21, 2023