Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Buck Wildman)

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Starfield looks like the worst kind of sci-fi story, ones with magic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

I'm gonna play Starfield and have fun. Yeah, I'm a little hosed up like that :twisted:

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

DaysBefore posted:

I'm gonna play Starfield and have fun. Yeah, I'm a little hosed up like that :twisted:

I’m so mad at you

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

It's on GamePass, tons of people are gonna be playing it for free* and I'm one of them baybeee

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Can't be worse than Outer Worlds.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

palindrome posted:

I haven't got him yet, still in act 1. I think I read there are more chances to get him though, I doubt they'd waste a full companion character like that. Would be funny though, high stakes DMing ftw.

It meant the hardest fight so far was against 6 regular lvl 2 humans in the first temple. Rogue, barbarian and cleric vs 6 mooks throwing potions and shooting poisoned arrows. It was fun. I wiped several times trying to figure out the combat. Jumping is key. An offensive spell caster would probably be handy.

Yeah but you can lose Laezel just as easily, I did. She's dead.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

DaysBefore posted:

disgusting

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Gumball Gumption posted:

Starfield looks like the worst kind of sci-fi story, ones with magic.

anachronox was pretty good

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Epic High Five posted:

It's on GamePass, tons of people are gonna be playing it for free* and I'm one of them baybeee
this

god bless microsoft for making western AAA video games free instead of like $90

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Lostconfused posted:

Gamers continue to be mad about video games, the contradictions will never be resolved.
i love video games. i love them all.

but only the good ones. the bad ones im not a fan of but that's okay

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

RandomBlue posted:

Yeah but you can lose Laezel just as easily, I did. She's dead.

Oh, that's surprising. Well, good. It makes playthroughs quite a bit different if you lose certain companions.

I have a monk Laezel and it's going ok, but I hear monk sucks and should just be fighter instead. It's all good though I'm enjoying the flavor and it doesn't seem like being optimized matters too much in the game. Deflect arrows is moderately useful and it's entertaining to use long swords and great swords as a monk weapon due to githyanki.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Lostconfused posted:

Can't be worse than Outer Worlds.

tenpting fate for real

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Xaris posted:

this

god bless microsoft for making western AAA video games free instead of like $90

The fact that their 20 year plan of burning a dump truck full of $100 bills every single day is actually paying off now will never, ever not be funny to me. I'm loving it, living in the window where the service is fantastic but can't be gutted just yet, like when I was an early MoviePass adopter

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

palindrome posted:

Oh, that's surprising. Well, good. It makes playthroughs quite a bit different if you lose certain companions.

I have a monk Laezel and it's going ok, but I hear monk sucks and should just be fighter instead. It's all good though I'm enjoying the flavor and it doesn't seem like being optimized matters too much in the game. Deflect arrows is moderately useful and it's entertaining to use long swords and great swords as a monk weapon due to githyanki.

taking tavern brawler makes monks pretty good

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

The only downside of tavern brawler is that if you go for strength only and heavy armor the character ends up kind of slow, can't run and jump across the whole room in one turn.

Also I found like no strength buffing gear besides the clothes, and having only a +3 modifier is noticeably not as good as +5.

Lin-Manuel Turtle
Jul 12, 2023

I’m looking forward to playing a game that takes place in an interesting and dynamic galaxy where you can zoom around in a neat spaceship, with cool and interesting dynamically procedurally generated worlds, and things to explore. This game is has already been out for almost 15 years, and I call it Sporefield.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Punished Turtle posted:

I’m looking forward to playing a game that takes place in an interesting and dynamic galaxy where you can zoom around in a neat spaceship, with cool and interesting dynamically procedurally generated worlds, and things to explore. This game is has already been out for almost 15 years, and I call it Sporefield.

Not on GamePass

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
If I had a pc or Xbox that could run it I would probably buy starfield a couple days after release and 1st impressions.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
i can't believe how much time i've spent in this Duergar fort already, there's so much going on and angles to approach, i just found another one, i've killed a lot of them and plan to kill the rest, but teasing out all the XP bonuses and inspirations is cool

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Al! posted:

thats weird none of you are discussing the merits of hiding bodies using the pirate who can drag them underground vs the one who can spawn plants anywhere

suleidy john and theresa are the dream team. get theresa's upgrade, put her on high ground, and then just go to fuckn town with john and suleidy while she murders everyone from afar

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
really tho i just unlocked the last 2 characters and they're all so drat fun to play with

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

The Switch port definitely needs a performance pass, but Afterimage as a game and even in spite of omnipresent but relatively minor stuttering is very good so far. The combat alone would be enough to carry a metroidvania but the big lush bright world map and traversal push it into potential all-timer territory. Running dual blades and whip right now, the former shits out so much dps that it trades better than the greatsword and the latter has great range and an air attack where you become a stationary tornado of attacks.

The blades have a projectile dash and 360 jump attack with as many attacks as you have jumps, the greatsword has a block that turns into a brutal punish if you block something and a devastating upward sweep. The magic is...there, haven't gotten much with it yet, but none of the weapon stuff uses mana so it's just a free couple hundred damage on bosses. There's also a scythe, katana, regular sword, and probably more later, all of which have as much depth but that I just haven't used yet

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Al! posted:

the radio in starfield is just the stations on vice city

Licensing some of those songs would cost more than the a full year of development

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Third World Reagan posted:

creative assembly did a thing

Review bombing is getting out of hand.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

DaysBefore posted:

It doesn't help that for some reason Creative Assembly is stupid as poo poo and ties all their bug fixes to quarterly DLC/patch releases. Like there's a bunch that were introduced in the last DLC months ago, some of which modders fixed in like a day lol, that they won't be addressing until the new DLC releases. Crazy but whatever I guess, I'll still play the fun game

even with all the patches their games still run like poo poo

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I really wish my broke-rear end brain would let me enjoy games like BG3 or TotK more. I just have an extremely hard time playing them for more than very short sittings. It's not quite an ADD sort of thing, since it doesn't apply to stuff like reading (which I can do just fine). It's more the combination of something being slow(-ish) and it being open-ended.

I was trying to think about what it is that enables me to play certain games for longer sittings, and I think there needs to be a strong "directed gameplay loop." Something where you know what you're doing (or at least exactly what your options are) at any given moment. It's hard for me to fully "kick back and relax" when playing a game that is more open-ended.

There's probably also a big "psychochemical" element to this, where my time of actually feeling good (at least in a way that other people would recognize as "feeling good") is always limited to the ~2 hours after I've had a suboxone dose, and beyond that there needs to be some really strong "dopamine-creating" elements to keep me paying attention to media (unless it's reading, which for some reason I can do just fine for long periods of time - I think because of its more passive nature).

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Truga posted:

really tho i just unlocked the last 2 characters and they're all so drat fun to play with

jumpscare system clock jumped from 2 to 7 pm

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Playing BG3 now and my wife left the room in disgust during the opening cinematic, this is gonna be good

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I meant more like the gameplay, not the visual fidelity.

Although I guess sorta the visuals as well.

elden ring looked like poo poo in pre-release footage and the combat still looks dumb as hell and that's game of the decade so

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Ytlaya posted:

I really wish my broke-rear end brain would let me enjoy games like BG3 or TotK more. I just have an extremely hard time playing them for more than very short sittings. It's not quite an ADD sort of thing, since it doesn't apply to stuff like reading (which I can do just fine). It's more the combination of something being slow(-ish) and it being open-ended.

I was trying to think about what it is that enables me to play certain games for longer sittings, and I think there needs to be a strong "directed gameplay loop." Something where you know what you're doing (or at least exactly what your options are) at any given moment. It's hard for me to fully "kick back and relax" when playing a game that is more open-ended.

There's probably also a big "psychochemical" element to this, where my time of actually feeling good (at least in a way that other people would recognize as "feeling good") is always limited to the ~2 hours after I've had a suboxone dose, and beyond that there needs to be some really strong "dopamine-creating" elements to keep me paying attention to media (unless it's reading, which for some reason I can do just fine for long periods of time - I think because of its more passive nature).

im ashamed to say that i still somehow love playing 2014 version of CS:GO deathmatch with 43 bots over and over

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

World War Mammories posted:

oh, this guy. I subbed to his youtube channel a while ago because beaglerush recommended him as someone really good at elden ring pvp. but I stopped watching him pretty quickly and unsubbed this morning because he's the kind of guy who can only ever kvetch about how X is RUINED FOREVER and what were they THINKING and look at this NOOB PLAYER and all that tedious poo poo. idk, maybe the game's an awful insult to armored core, I never played any of them so I wouldn't know, but the endless whining is so goddamn boring. (the irony of posting this sentiment in c-spam does not escape me)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMHFGMDT8ok&t=152s

This is the only Elden Ring PVPer I follow

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Wow the mineru construct boss fight in zelda sucks absolute rear end, huh? One of the worst 3d zelda boss fights ever

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

it’s punch out

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Epic High Five posted:

It will outsell every major release this year combined.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Benagain posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMHFGMDT8ok&t=152s

This is the only Elden Ring PVPer I follow

:hmmyes: this guy seems pretty good

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Nonsense posted:

It will outsell every major release this year combined.

I always just assume the actual winner of this every year is FIFA, Madden, or COD

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

After all the "games like bg3 are impossible because of the large team and long dev cycle" takes I can't wait to see how trash Starfield is even with the same conditions.

On another note the music from the secret frog boss in Everhood has been stuck in my head for my entire shift today. What a game that was.

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

willing to bet hogwarts is prob the top selling game of the year so far it sold a metric gently caress ton

only beating zelda cause its on every platform

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

lmao https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ex2cgsCqqeo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

i just cheat my stats to 30 and put it on easy op