Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Sentient Data posted:

Seems like most of that is better served by a properly funded .gov instead of private enterprise anyway

Would something like Mozilla have the ability to get one off the ground?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

Neddy Seagoon posted:

TBF, it kinda has been, though not in the "FREEZE PEECH" manner they believe it does. Twitter's been incredibly useful for aggregating info on the war in Ukraine, as well as countering Russian disinfo. It's also been used as an early-warning and alert notification service to push updates to as many people as possible for things like imminent weather warnings or ongoing disasters (which is frankly needed now more than ever).

Elon flushing Twitter down the toilet is gonna do some serious damage in the short, potentially even long, term, if another viable replacement platform doesn't assert dominance.

It won't do any damage whatsoever. There are myriad ways for groups to communicate easily online.

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts

Sentient Data posted:

Seems like most of that is better served by a properly funded .gov instead of private enterprise anyway

Friend of mine says that in the US, a platform like that would fall under the purview of the USPS. "Mods are feds" would take on a whole new meaning

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts
Getting domed by the USPS SWAT team for posting too close to the sun

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009
If someone’s passion/mission is to warn people about disasters, you’d think they’d have some sort of contingency plan, y’know, in case of disaster, if they couldn’t post on their preferred platform.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

armpit_enjoyer posted:

Friend of mine says that in the US, a platform like that would fall under the purview of the USPS. "Mods are feds" would take on a whole new meaning

The USPS should be in charge of internet access in the US anyways so I'd support it.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

centralized ecosystems on the internet proved a bad thing, twitter splintering is good.

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Doesn't think, just types.
Imagine spending $44b to finally buy a website for the Nazis. Imagine spending countless hours signal boosting and giving money to the Nazis while adjusting every function on the site to agree with their delicate sensibilities, all to finally finalize this long-standing dream of digital blood and soil.

And then actually you're so dumb and bad at running a website that even the Nazis turn on you.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Digital Leboernsraum

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Thoughtless posted:

And then actually you're so dumb and bad at running a website that even the Nazis turn on you.

This was always gonna be the case

As people have pointed out, once all the normies leave a platform the only thing that will happen is that the nazis turn on each other

Without an easy target to bully they'll make one for themselves and it's generally the leader for refusing to go to the next extreme

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

On paper in a vacuum, yes, but in reality that means getting users to willingly plug into a new platform created and managed by the government. Pushing info into an existing public service that relatively-everyone is on, or at least aware of, and accessible from any device is always going to have a much high hit rate on people seeing those updates get pushed out.

I dunno. In reality, pretty much every .gov site is stable and has an approximately 0% chance of being bought by some idiot billionaire and vanishing in a puff of smoke with little warning.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
This is what I didn’t get about all the but i neeeeeeeeed twitter whining - there’s a whole fuckin internet you dorks

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

My extremely not-US Timezone makes me too slow to catch invite posts, but I’d really like one if someone is kind enough to PM me one

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

he mad

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
And yet he doesn't even have the mild imagination to say "New exclusive X Premium Plus feature, be immune to blocks! And if you upgrade even higher to X Plus Ultra Premium Special you can also be immune to mutes!"

holtemon
May 2, 2019

Dancing is forbidden
The Real Life Iron Man everyone lmao

😂😂

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

What does he even mean with “how does the medicine taste 😂😂”

Is he now trying to pretend it was all just a joke?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

MrMojok posted:

I'm guessing it's supposed to be "how do you like them apples" type of thing? Like "you want to be able to block people, how do you like it when I block you? 🤣".

The answer to that is I like not seeing Elon tweets a lot.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Man he really thought removing blocking was going to be some master stroke move. Instead it’s deeply unpopular even among his new fanbase

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

MrMojok posted:

He's totally giving them a bitter medicine they don't want but will make x better by removing blocking

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

SO DONT loving BUY BLUE, DONT loving POST, DONT loving CLICK MY LINKS.

I mean Christ, all I did was make this post to support people being forced to view my content, and folks are putting Community Notes on my posts and suggesting I'm scamming them. I've said repeatedly that this was just for my experience and in no way should indicate how everybody else will feel. I've said the links to ad partners were referrals, so I'm not trying to hide anything. I've-

F it, I'm closing this thread, F you and F twit, er I mean X. I can never post a single goddamn thread in here. I should've learned my lesson long ago and never left the intelligent, rational South Africa where I don't have to deal with clueless idiots and morons like you people. I'm going back to my emerald mine and staying there, since it has a microscopic fraction of the retards and trolls populating X.

I guess that should strike me as being ironic, but it's more sad to me than anything. Thanks for running me out of my own goddamn platform.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

No, please, stop. Don't block me Elon.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

I can't wait to put my financial information into this app :elon:

Total Party Kill
Aug 25, 2005

I love that he is pissed about his blocking disaster. Maybe the Boering Company can dig him a hole to live in.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

FoolyCharged posted:

I dunno. In reality, pretty much every .gov site is stable and has an approximately 0% chance of being bought by some idiot billionaire and vanishing in a puff of smoke with little warning.

Without any expertise in the area of this stuff, I feel like the government should just have a unified system where government agencies have an RSS system where they can make announcements. People and Orgs can link up to that system directly, or people can make bots to blast those RSS posts out to any social media system they utilize. I guess maybe the reposters could be a part of that unified communications system and also maintained by the government. But the main goal would be to avoid having any one private social media be the backbone.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

If you're blocking them, then they can't even see this sick burn, Elon.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Lmao at elon telling james woods to delete his account

Tomorrow : a bunch of people delete their accounts

Day after tomorrow : "you will no longer be able to delete your account"

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

putin is a oval office posted:

It won't do any damage whatsoever. There are myriad ways for groups to communicate easily online.

One of the things that's been pointed out is that Twitter has long been in stasis in regards to growth. It's a thing that mostly millenials/ older gen z and back use.

Most younger people are using different platforms, and communicate differently.

That is to say: anyone that wanted a Twitter has one. Others are utilizing those myriad other ways to communicate, instead.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

heard u like girls posted:

Lmao at elon telling james woods to delete his account

Tomorrow : a bunch of people delete their accounts

Day after tomorrow : "you will no longer be able to delete your account"

Day after day after tomorrow: "what do you mean, I never said we'd stop deleting accounts"

Day after day after day after tomorrow: "IVE DELETED YOUR ACCOUNT HOWS THEM APPLE PIES SMILEY LAUGH FACE"

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Rhonne posted:

If you're blocking them, then they can't even see this sick burn, Elon.

I feel like it's a mark of character to be blocked by Elon.

egg_dog
Nov 12, 2005

nͬ͒̂̓̂ͪoͨ́
Fun Shoe
It's just phenomenal how all his retorts make less sense than a kid saying "I know you are but what am I?" Just stellar work keeping his brain that hard and smooth

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
RIP Catturd

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1692431667548528661

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Lmao

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

That image is an amazing compilation of this whole fiasco but impossible to be fully grasped by someone outside this thread, it's like art. If only there were a reference to the ad revenue share debacle somewhere in there

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Beautiful

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
so he's (elon's) trying to get people to turn on the idea of removing the block feature by blocking them and making them ask to be unblocked?

the sheer lack of awareness over the importance and use of blocking is just amazing

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

We've reached the point where lowtax stumbles into a thread being belligerent to people justifiably upset telling him to gently caress off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost
Did Elon just recently look up how many people have blocked his account or something? This is such a weird loving hill to die on.