Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Black Griffon posted:

One sort of left-field question: Has any important characters just straight up died because they got hosed crossing the rubicon? I don't necessarily want to know who in case they're part of a good book or something, but it would be really funny, like a random mook shooting John Wick in the head or something.

"Out in the apothecary having the time of my life dying to the Rubicon Primaris with my battle-brothers. They're all out of frame, dying too." - Dante

You donīt even need the 'important' caveat, lol. As far as I know, literally not a single death has been even mentioned anywhere. Not even a random codex line "the Smelly Butts chapter lost the 2nd sergeant of the 7th company".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Belly created one of the safest procedures in the Imperium and decided that it didn't make him look cool enough so he went "oh yeah and it's suuuper dangerous, that's just sort of my style".

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/08/20/sunday-preview-carve-out-a-new-realm-for-humanity-with-the-cities-of-sigmar/

You want some books? Of course ya do!

Although it'll only be one for next week, the Warriors of the Freeguilds anthology goes up for pre-order.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Black Griffon posted:

Belly created one of the safest procedures in the Imperium and decided that it didn't make him look cool enough so he went "oh yeah and it's suuuper dangerous, that's just sort of my style".

"Guys, I'm just saying, we can just kill Cato Sicarius on the operating table and pretend it was all due to the 'Ruby Con' or whatever it is I made up. We can be rid of him. Our long imperial nightmare can be over."

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Sephyr posted:

"Guys, I'm just saying, we can just kill Cato Sicarius on the operating table and pretend it was all due to the 'Ruby Con' or whatever it is I made up. We can be rid of him. Our long imperial nightmare can be over."

Why is Cato so hated by the fans?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

notaspy posted:

His books are all very not good

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I fail to believe that it's all because of a few not great books. Its because it's a meme at this point.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Yeah it's a meme because the books are bad.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Improbable Lobster posted:

His books are all very not good

By that standard 95% of warhams characters should be hated.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Biplane posted:

Yeah it's a meme because the books are bad.

Really really bad. Possibly some of the worst black library books published

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

notaspy posted:

Because there is already a Cato Sicarius, called Uriel Ventris, and he also sucks.

The number of "hyper-competent ultramarine up-and-comers just lamely rolling the opposition while having no personality except being dutiful and brave" shouls be limited to 1. Or less.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

I've heard Cato finally got interesting post 8th Ed but I haven't read any of the books

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

One of those post 8th ed books being Knights of Macragge. Written by Nick Kyme.

Don't think Cato has even crossed the Ruby yet.

Never actually read any of the Urel books, my only real exposure to him was in one of my anthologies I have. And that story is just yet another generic "Marines board hulk and fights orks and genestealers" story of zero importance or value.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

I have a soft spot for Uriel because the Ultramarines omnibus was one of the first 40k things I read. I can still remember specific images Warriors of Ultramar conjured in my mind, even over 15 fuckin years later or something.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

I thought Nightbringer was cool as gently caress when I was like, 13 years old. 20 years later, not so much lol

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~

Black Griffon posted:

I have a soft spot for Uriel because the Ultramarines omnibus was one of the first 40k things I read. I can still remember specific images Warriors of Ultramar conjured in my mind, even over 15 fuckin years later or something.

Biplane posted:

I thought Nightbringer was cool as gently caress when I was like, 13 years old. 20 years later, not so much lol

:same:

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Finally read Imperial Creed this week, for some reason the first novel dealing with Yarrick, the commissar with a giant fuckoff ork mek arm and a laser eye, who everyone knows as "the guy that keeps fighting orks" and who's Ghazghul's secretly desired waifu, who's retirement plan was "give me a Baneblade tank, I have orks to kill"... his first enemy as a commissar is a chaos cult that infiltrated all the noble houses of a planet and even summoned daemons!

In a completely unrelated note, I now have a signed copy of the Yarrick omnibus because he David Annandale was doing signings at the store's anniversary.

Randalor fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Aug 21, 2023

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

I find it hard to believe Yarrick could take time out of his busy schedule to attend a book signing

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
I may have been confusing Sicarius and Uriel, which is fine because they both suck

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Titus is a better captain than either of them and I'm bummed that Mark Strong won't be voicing him for Space Marine 2.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Arc Hammer posted:

Titus is a better captain than either of them and I'm bummed that Mark Strong won't be voicing him for Space Marine 2.

:agreed:

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Wow. I’m reading the new Cain book, and I just ran into a full-on 1960s Batman reference/homage. That’s a first.

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

Camrath posted:

Wow. I’m reading the new Cain book, and I just ran into a full-on 1960s Batman reference/homage. That’s a first.

I've been re-reading the Cain series and still cringe/smile at some of the early references like Aliens, The Italian Job, etc.

Yes, it's ham fisted, but... Warham gonna Warham

Dog_Meat fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Aug 22, 2023

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I enjoyed the Transformers callout in Helsreach when Priamus starts complaining that killing Orks is like bad comedy.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Finished book 2 of the Shira Calpurnia trilogy. It's got a very properly dark ending. Poor Varro Phrax, far too decent a person for this universe.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

notaspy posted:

It's not just his books are bad. It's that in his books he's treated as some sort of saint. I recently read (well listened) to Knights of McCragge and it basically ends with a guy running up to Marneus Calgar and saying "HE'S BACK!" and Calgar INSTANTLY knowing that the runner is referring specifically to Cato Sicarius. I will say that the other stuff around Cato was interesting, a conflict between Primaris and First Born, a pair of ships arms-men that are banging, and what the ultimate villain was able to do. It's just that Cato himself was boring because he was always right and everytime things looked bad in combat Cato would walk in with doves flying around him as he painted a portrait of martial prowess, never missing a strike or being hit.

Even the Lion's book didn't have him being portrayed at that level of combat. He still struggled against different things as he fought.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
Counterpoint: Cato Sicarius is the absolute best man in the Imperium to send to negotiate with Tau Water Caste.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Preechr posted:

Counterpoint: Cato Sicarius is the absolute best man in the Imperium to send to negotiate with Tau Water Caste.

Why, because he's a giant drip?

Eh? Eh?

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

Sephyr posted:

Why, because he's a giant drip?

Eh? Eh?

He really knows how to put his foot down.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
the Forgeworld Horus Heresy books are cool, too bad about the limited availability

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Theres a thread on reddit about what the Emperor stole from the Chaos gods on Molech and I gotta think it was just the explicit explanation and knowledge of how chaos interacts with psych races and the fact that every human being was a huge cannister of gasoline. He probably promised them humanity and bails on the deal as soon as he gets out to save humanity

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

Waroduce posted:

Theres a thread on reddit about what the Emperor stole from the Chaos gods on Molech and I gotta think it was just the explicit explanation and knowledge of how chaos interacts with psych races and the fact that every human being was a huge cannister of gasoline. He probably promised them humanity and bails on the deal as soon as he gets out to save humanity

I do not believe we will ever get an explicit, point by point explanation. There's several possible alternatives.

It's fun to speculate though.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

he stole fire from the gods and now he's tortured for eternity

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Waroduce posted:

There's a theory based on The Board is Set that the Emperor anticipated the Heresy, promised half the Primarchs to the Chaos Gods, then arranged matters so that the hosed-up Primarchs would be on the Chaos side.

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot
I remember reading a short story where Horus was complaining that all the best primarchs were on the other side.

In fairness, aside from Horus who out of the rebel primarchs would be picked over any of the loyalist ones?

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Plucky Brit posted:

I remember reading a short story where Horus was complaining that all the best primarchs were on the other side.

In fairness, aside from Horus who out of the rebel primarchs would be picked over any of the loyalist ones?

You could make a pretty good argument for Perty over Dorn as being more suitable post-end-of-crusading because he showed interest in neckbeard hobbies while Dorn is a tool.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
And the Perty proceeded to get poo poo on for five years straight by his rear end in a top hat brothers until he finally said "gently caress this", picked up his Legion and left.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Magnus? He can sit on the golden and dark thrones. Just huffs his farts a bit too much

BigShasta
Oct 28, 2010
Magnus continuously proved he was unreliable and probably would've screwed up sitting on the throne somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Plucky Brit posted:

Warmaster from Legacies of Betrayal

Horus posted:

Strange is it not, that so many I wish beside me stand against me, while at my back are only the flawed and damaged. I am the master of broken monsters.

Khorne really really really wanted Sanguinius but he settled for Angron.

It's obvious which of the two would have been preferred between Corax and Konrad.

Also Horus himself wished Robute had rebelled along with him.