Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

In Training posted:

Life works the same way.

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Octopath 2 has one of the nicest day/night cycles I've ever seen in a game because you can switch the time of day instantly by pressing a single button, with a nice little chime and animation to go with it. Never got old somehow

That also went a long way to make sure that things like some NPCs only being available at night or whatever is never an annoyance. Just press the "make it night" button and you're good.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

In Training posted:

Life works the same way.

Octopath Traveler was the real "various daylife" all along

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Harrow posted:

Octopath 2 has one of the nicest day/night cycles I've ever seen in a game because you can switch the time of day instantly by pressing a single button, with a nice little chime and animation to go with it. Never got old somehow

That also went a long way to make sure that things like some NPCs only being available at night or whatever is never an annoyance. Just press the "make it night" button and you're good.

Xenoblade does this too (well you have to go into the menu but still), being able to change time in games with day/night cycles ftw

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It always felt weird to me in XBC. Why can you just alter time on a whim. I like when there's a mechanic or reason for it. Even as simple as resting at a campfire.

My favorite implementation is the cigar in MGSV

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Btw once I finish gorging myself on Zelda I think I'll give FF Legend 2 a spin.

que sera sera
Aug 4, 2006

que sera sera
Aug 4, 2006

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

In Training posted:

Life works the same way.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

In Training posted:

It's sick. Post your party when you do

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

In Training posted:

Life works the same way.

lol

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

In Training posted:

Good choice. SaGa games ftw.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Just did the vampire sub scenario in BD and the lore drops were cool as hell. The dragons you have to fight before going in the castle were harder than the actual vampire boss though lol. Now I’m cruising around the world collecting genomes. This game owns

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Vampire rules in BD

cardinale
Jul 11, 2016

The vampire guy was my favourite character in BD, just so dramatic

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Octopath 2 update: game is really good. I finished Castti's storyline and you were right Harrow, it really did pick up and I enjoyed all of it after the pretty boring chapter 1. I see what people were saying about ending up over-leveled for everything though. All the final chapters having the same level requirements means as soon as you've played through one you can swap out a single person and have 3/4 of a party powerful enough to walk right through all the others. I don't mind being overpowered though so I'm still having a good time. The music is also just fantastic. 10/10 I love this game.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

vyelkin posted:

Octopath 2 update: game is really good. I finished Castti's storyline and you were right Harrow, it really did pick up and I enjoyed all of it after the pretty boring chapter 1. I see what people were saying about ending up over-leveled for everything though. All the final chapters having the same level requirements means as soon as you've played through one you can swap out a single person and have 3/4 of a party powerful enough to walk right through all the others. I don't mind being overpowered though so I'm still having a good time. The music is also just fantastic. 10/10 I love this game.

Hell yeah :cheers:

I ended up dealing with the overleveling by constantly switching my party around and also having my main character (Hikari) use support subjobs so he wouldn't just solo every boss. Normally I don't like nerfing myself to increase difficulty but it sort of made narrative sense because it felt like I was letting whoever's story it was take the lead while my main character backed them up.

Then it felt great to cut loose for the final boss and superboss

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
one little touch that I love is how most of the music has a day version and a night version and the game switches seamlessly between the two when you change the time of day

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

vyelkin posted:

Yeah Castti's story is up there with Throne and Osvald for me. though beating FF16 and her story back to back is a little too much purple for me...

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

RPGs on the game boy ftw

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Finished Trails in the Sky 3 after blitzing through it over the last week or so. These games own and I'm going to play all of them. Zero next

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Chained Echoes is sick lol. It might be the first game I actually beat in 2k23

cardinale
Jul 11, 2016

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Chained Echoes is sick lol. It might be the first game I actually beat in 2k23
It's such a cool achievement for a developer who did it practically by himself, there's so much to do and find

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

cardinale posted:

It's such a cool achievement for a developer who did it practically by himself, there's so much to do and find

psycho individual devs ftw

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

wasn't supraland also made by a solo german dev? i swear, those germans...

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

crystal project was made solely by a canadian guy and it's goated.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Grimoire was also made over 20 years by a solo developer, Cleveland Mark Blakemore, who lives in a bunker.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

I just got the airship, just flyin around the world map, splorin' thangs

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Started Live A Live remake and picked the caveman story which has zero dialogue lol. The battle system is cool

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Started Live A Live remake and picked the caveman story which has zero dialogue lol. The battle system is cool

Live a Live ftw

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Pablo Nergigante posted:

live a live pwns so hard

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Live a Live ftw

Fungah! posted:

live a live pwns so hard

this

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

aonly thing i'd say pablo, dont do modern day last lol

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Fungah! posted:

aonly thing i'd say pablo, dont do modern day last lol

I was thinking chronological order

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I was thinking chronological order

ooh ive never done that order, thats probably cool

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Fungah! posted:

ooh ive never done that order, thats probably cool

That was how I played it this time and it's pretty fun. It splits out the chapters pretty well too actually, you're not getting two really long ones back to back or anything. Also it means you can do the robot one last and while I appreciate what they were going for that one is not at all fun on replay

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Nearing the end of Chained Echoes, have almost all recruits and my base is nearly max level. Fun game, but the mech combat kinda drags a bit. There's no real strategy to it and nothing feels super powerful even though you're in a giant flying mech. That's pretty much the only bad thing I can say about it. Traversing the world in the mechs is awesome tho cos you can reach places you never could before and that's always epic in games

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

There's no real strategy to it and nothing feels super powerful even though you're in a giant flying mech.

Has any JRPG done this well. Closest I've played was xenogears but it was still pretty simple and not really much different than regular combat anyway.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Nearing the end of Chained Echoes, have almost all recruits and my base is nearly max level. Fun game, but the mech combat kinda drags a bit. There's no real strategy to it and nothing feels super powerful even though you're in a giant flying mech. That's pretty much the only bad thing I can say about it. Traversing the world in the mechs is awesome tho cos you can reach places you never could before and that's always epic in games

sounds like xcx. lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

There's only a few mandatory mech bosses so it's not a huge deal, but still. Some of the hit-all greatsword swipes feel strong but you almost always want to focus enemies down 4v1 so it's not really a smart move